Witcher 3 Screens Show Off the Snowy Land of Skellige

Witcher 3 Screens Show Off the Snowy Land of Skellige

Let's take a moment to bask in the preternatural beauty of a whole bunch of Witcher 3 screens.

The Witcher 3, as we already know, will be an open-world game covering a wide expanse of territory, each with its own "unique atmosphere, communities and memorable characters." CD Projekt Red boss Adam Badowski claimed the game will boast a range of "diversified" environments 30 times larger than than of The Witcher 2, which was a pretty meaty game in its own right, giving players about 50 hours of play in the main narrative and other 50 hours through "additional stories."

The studio released a hefty pile of screens today showing off the island region of Skellige, a land that bears a certain Nordic resemblance to another popular open-world RPG that came out in 2011. That's not to suggest that there's any sort of inappropriate borrowing going on, but it is interesting how an excess of snow and cold seems to inspire burly men to glue animal horns to their helmets.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is expected to come out sometime in 2014.

The thing that people need to know about these screens is that even though they look good, this is not how the game is going to look like when it's released. It's going to look a lot better. These screens were taken rendering the game with the old REDengine 2. Full game will be using REDengine 3 which is designed as a next-gen engine.

Which is to say, Playstation 4, eat your heart out.

I loves me some GPU-killing spectacular open-world RPGs.

Adam Jensen:
The thing that people need to know about these screens is that even though they look good, this is not how the game is going to look like when it's released. It's going to look a lot better. These screens were taken rendering the game with the old REDengine 2. Full game will be using REDengine 3 which is designed as a next-gen engine.

I don't think I can handle that much polish in a game.

Well 2014 looks like a good year to upgrade my pc in then.

Certainly looks good enough, as expected. I'm more interested in how it plays, what the story is about or, hell, even a cinematic trailer, though.

But whatever, the more publicity they get after the lukewarm sales of previous titles, the better.

Adam Jensen:

I don't know why exactly you'd be assuming that. A better engine doesn't improve the actual assets used.

Go into detail what you think will be improved, perhaps? I'm not saying it's impossible or anything like that, it just seems a rather weird claim to make.

The pessimist in me worries about the effect putting so much into creating an open world will have on the narrative. The rest of me just can't bloody wait to find out.

DVS BSTrD:

Adam Jensen:

Well played sir, well played. @HankMan, RIP, would be proud.

Hammeroj:
Certainly looks good enough, as expected. I'm more interested in how it plays, what the story is about or, hell, even a cinematic trailer, though.

But whatever, the more publicity they get after the lukewarm sales of previous titles, the better.

Adam Jensen:

I don't know why exactly you'd be assuming that. A better engine doesn't improve the actual assets used.

Go into detail what you think will be improved, perhaps? I'm not saying it's impossible or anything like that, it just seems a rather weird claim to make.

They had a video that explains the upgrades we will see. First and most obvious the ability to create a huge open world with no loading times. Then the ability to have a lot more animations and more fluid animations, completely dynamic weather system with real volumetric clouds instead of a sky box, sharper textures, better lighting, more polygons etc.

Adam Jensen:
They had a video that explains the upgrades we will see. First and most obvious the ability to create a huge open world with no loading times. Then the ability to have a lot more animations and more fluid animations, completely dynamic weather system with real volumetric clouds instead of a sky box, sharper textures, better lighting, more polygons etc.

See the volumetric clouds and stuff I understand, but I sort of expected to hear that the models/textures are going to be improved by the new engine and that baffles me. Like what, their previous engine simply wasn't capable of using higher polycount/resolution assets? For screenshots, where optimization is basically irrelevant? That just sounds weird.

Anyways, I want that video.

"CD Projekt RED has provided the screenshots you see here from its current in-game assets running on its Internal PC development hardware. However, the renderer - the part of the engine that translates the game files into what you ultimately see on screen - is still in development and will boast significant improvements by the time The Witcher 3 ships. "Right now you see the game in the old renderer, but it's going to be taken to a truly next level," says gameplay producer Marek ZSiemak. In particular, the developers tell us that skin shaders and the dynamic lighting model will be markedly more advanced in the final version."

I am excitement, I am entirely excitement. One of the most common thoughts going through my head while playing the Witcher 2 was "Wow, this is awesome, if only the world didn't feel so cramped", and it seems like they've got that solved up just fine. Some of the bigger environments in these don't seem quite as visually interesting, but the Witcher 2 was tightly packed, and it's still early days. If it looks at least as good as the second one, I will be completely satisfied. That game is still damn pretty.

This will be a nice addition to the PS4 I'll be getting sometime next year.

I'm resisting the urge to preorder.

DVS BSTrD:

Adam Jensen:

Your best pun.

Edit: For the sake of adding content to my post. I'm going to preorder this. Witcher is one of the only series I really trust anymore :p.

You know, most people complain about a game becoming more streamlined with it's releases, but in my opinion The Witcher really -needs- steamlining. It is HANDS DOWN the most unnecessarily obtuse game that wasn't made by Richard Garriot that exists on this Earth and someone really needs too take the pruning shears to it and make a game that doesn't slow to a crawl for five minutes every time you need to do something with the inventory.

Cannot wait for this, The Witcher 2 is one of my all-time favourites and I hope this one will be just as good.

URMAHGUD they are ripping of Skærimm

Seriously though, as someone that could not handle The Witcher 2 I feel compelled to upgrade my aging computer

I would play this game even with the current look (aka Witcher 2 graphics). I personally am ultra psyched for this game and every ounce of information is welcomed.

Meatspinner:
Seriously though, as someone that could not handle The Witcher 2 I feel compelled to upgrade my aging computer

Oh yeah, Witcher 3 will drop DirectX 9 support entirely

This tastes like Skyrim. They must want to make money like Treyarch. :)

I was thinking Skyrim as well... but better and dirtier Skyrim with halfway-decent fighting mechanics and a slightly more engaging plot.

Colour me excited.

COLOUR ME!!!

Aw man this is looking better and better every day.

Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, CD Project might just be the next Bioware/Bethesda/Obsidian... hybrid thing.

It's putting Poland on the map for nerd culture, this can only be a good thing for them.

Would it be weird to have a man-crush on Geralt? Because seriously, those pictures are getting me hot and bothered. Unless that's weird *ahem*, in which case I'll take it or leave it, you know, whatever.

CD Projekt, who support, polish and refine their games well beyond release, who give content away free and develop deep, mature RPGs the likes of which even BioWare can't aspire to any more....yeah, they gonna get my money.

Norrdicus:
Oh yeah, Witcher 3 will drop DirectX 9 support entirely

Halle-bloody-lujah. About time someone made a current gen game instead of one for 7 year old tech.

Geez, I haven't even finished Witcher 1.0 yet, and now I have to plan to build a new system for Witcher 3. (If they're dropping DX9 support and (stupidly) not converting to OpenGL, that means I'll have to build a Win7 box.)

Hope they release on GOG.com like they have in the past.

Stop giving out details on games I want more than a year before they come out!

It's like release date blue balls.

grey_space:
I was thinking Skyrim as well... but better and dirtier Skyrim with halfway-decent fighting mechanics and a slightly more engaging plot.

Colour me excited.

COLOUR ME!!!

Well, your name is grey space, so if we didn't colour you, you'd be pretty bland... I'll show myself out.

Without spoilering anything: I am assuming, based of the title, that this will potentially conclude the larger story-arch that began in the first Witcher game? The one about why/how Geralt is alive (that is from the very beginning of the first game so I am ruining nothing), finding out the "lost" time and the over-all conflict with the Wild-Hunt.

If so this promises to be epic.

The first two games were some of my favorites in recent years and, while I admit they weren't the most polished, they were very fun to play and just get absorbed in. I played through the first one three times to get the three paths - which I something I don't do with most games - and have just started my third playthrough on the 2nd one. They were great value for my money when compared to most games I have bought.

Well, this answers the old question:

Was Geralt once an adventurer like me?

Well, he was until he took an arrow to the knee!

thank you, thank you folks, try the prime rib, it is delicious!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here