Lord British Presents... A Countdown!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Lord British Presents... A Countdown!

What could the man behind the famous Ultima RPG franchise be up to?

"What waits beyond for Lord British?" Lord British tweeted earlier this afternoon. "Lord British," if you don't know - and shame on you, sir! - is the alter ego of Richard Garriott, the man who created Ultima, one of the preeminent RPG series of the 1980s and 90s. Tiring of the adventures of the Avatar, he became "General British" at the head of the disastrous Tabula Rasa MMO, and then he went into space. His return to gaming saw him move into the casual realm with Portalarium, which teamed up with Zynga to release Ultimate Collector late last year and then promptly laid off staff.

Now he appears to be moving on to something more in line with what gamers really want from him. With a simple message on Twitter, Garriott revealed the "Lord British Presents" website, which, I hate to say, sports an option to sign up for "breaking emails" and a countdown, which thankfully has less than seven days on the clock.

There's nothing revelatory in the page source, which means it's up to us to speculate. I'm pulling hard for a new Ultima Underworld, which by the dictates of the laws of the universe means it cannot possibly be a new Ultima Underworld; a new Ultima Online, perhaps? A brand-new, full-on Ultima RPG? Or - and I hate to say this, too, for fear of making it come true - an Ultima Facebook game?

The great likelihood is that it will be the big reveal of the Ultimate RPG Garriott talked about in December 2011, which he said could become Ultima Online 2 if Electronic Arts signs on. Discussions about EA's participation were underway at the time and while nothing about it has been said since, it's probably worth noting that the text on the website is written in the old Ultima font.

We'll keep you posted.

Source: Lord British Presents

The only way any of his projects could gather my actual interest is if he went back in time and undid all the ultima fuckups.

But that's not happening is it.

A countdown to... BETRAYAL!
Nobody wants more Ultima if EA is involved.

Hype for the upcoming hype. Get hyped for it!

So his lawsuit money is dwindling, time to get back into the industry to mess some more stuff up.

I remember waaaaay back when there was a semi-reveal of what UO2 was going to be and I was stoked. Since this isn't going to be anything nearly that cool I'll just wait until they reveal Ultimaville so I can bug total strangers to tend the crops in my own little Skara Brae. /sigh

So how about a Ultima 9.5.

Without Betrayals

I love Ultima. But not this much. Under EA it is a total impossibility. If he goes independent then yes.

Baldr:
So his lawsuit money is dwindling, time to get back into the industry to mess some more stuff up.

Pretty much. Even if NC Soft were shady in the way they fired him, he did the one thing he shouldn't of. He jumped ship as soon as he got his money, and left the game to flail about while the rest of his team struggled to save the game. This was, of course, after wasting even more money on assembling a huge "dream team" of big fancy names to help with the hype.

Good game, but definitely not thanks to his good graces.

Also, it isn't Ultima. It's going to be " Ultimate Collecter; Garage Sale 2: The World of Ultima". His craptastic garage-sale styled game placed within Ultima's universe, with a heavyhanded helping of EA crap macro transactions.

It's not going to be Ultima.

When Richard asked for the rights to Ultima back, EA responded by creating Ultima Forever. I'm pretty sure that EA isn't letting go of the rights to Ultima without a lot of money exchanging hands.

DVS BSTrD:

BETRAYED ME!

"Whats a Paladin?"

BETRAYAL!!!

I take it you are also a Spoony fan?

OT: Eh. Never really got into the Ultima series.

Man if this does somehow end up being a new entry into the Ultima Series that would be so freaking odd cause I was just talking about the possibility of that happening with my friends a few days ago.

Eh Lord British isn't relevant any more guys.

Solo-Wing:

DVS BSTrD:

BETRAYED ME!

"Whats a Paladin?"

BETRAYAL!!!

really?

no video, shame on you both:

GO TO THE CORNER!

OT: be it another Ultima game, or Tabula Rasa.....2 [though remembering back, TR ended on a pretty solid note], Im sure people will eye it with suspicion, but will buy it out of curiosity.

happens every fricking time.

"What waits beyond for Lord British?"

Ultima Afterlife?

l3o2828:
So how about a Ultima 9.5.

Without Betrayals

that makes me think
a lot of the Ultima 9 writing shit could be fixed without the need for removal
like say, Dupre's "resurrection" could just be said to be a sort of hologram, so to speak, made by the Guardian to break the Avatar's will
or that Blackthorne being bad again was because he was possessed again, and explain it that if a person was possessed once, it could be possessed again
or "your knowledge of the land shall be great" and then put in a Mass Effect type codex to avoid the stupid pointless questions

of course, that doesn't change the ass gameplay though

I thought he wanted to make the "Ultimate" RPG or something. Not Ultima, but something . . of a similar vein.

with the words countdown and beyond you have to wonder if its not a ultima game at all, but instead maybe another space based rpg.

After the debacle of Ultima 9 what should be next for Lord British is to be forced to play his shitty game through a few times so he can really appreciate how let down fans were.

He can go stuff his countdown up his butt for all i care.

I loved Ultima Online, until it was destroyed over and over again, before my eyes. I watched as each enjoyable facet of gameplay was squandered, spoiled, or simply cast aside.

The dude is basically the M. Night Shyamalan of video games.

An update on the Ultimate RPG would be cool.

announcing an announcement....

god i wish they'd stop doing this crap

Maybe he'll declare Ultima 9: Ascention non-canon and announce Ultima IX: The Real Ending.

The Great JT:
Maybe he'll declare Ultima 9: Ascention non-canon and announce Ultima IX: The Real Ending.

How about both 8 and 9. I heard both were atrocious.

Solo-Wing:

The Great JT:

How about both 8 and 9. I heard both were atrocious.

8 at least had potential. It was a step down, sure, but it did present a good dilemma in "how far can 'the ends justify the means' be stretched when the means involve demonic sacrifices, murder, deception and various other forms of skullduggery." Or put another way, "what happens when the ultimate good guy is forced to perform hideous, vile acts in order to strike back at the ultimate evildoer?"

too bad Garriott hasn't actually done anything worthwhile in years.

Andy Chalk:

"What waits beyond for Lord British?" Lord British

Time nor tide?

First Chris Roberts crawls out of whatever rock he's been under for the last decade with an amazing looking flight sim on kickstarter, and now Lord British comes back. These are guys who used to dominate the industry, but by now I was wondering if they were even alive.

What's next, Ken Silverman comes out with a new engine, and the Levelord gets hired to do level design for Gearbox? Maybe John Romero getting back into the industry?

Exciting times.

P.S.: I just looked up Romero's wikipedia page. The list of games he's been doing for the last decade is just depressing. The last real game he did was Anachronox (the one before it, surprisingly, was the original Red Faction). However, he's been active since then, making shovelware and social games for the likes of THQ and Zynga. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Edit: Oh man, The Levelord has been doing the same kind of thing. Wiki says his most recent game is one of those hidden object deals. I think I need to stop looking up what the pioneers of modern gaming are doing today, because it's too darned depressing.

MrPeanut:
The only way any of his projects could gather my actual interest is if he went back in time and undid all the ultima fuckups.

But that's not happening is it.

YMMV, but Nakar's Let's Play went a long way towards 'fixing' Ultima IMHO. Steve the Avatar is my headcanon avatar.

A thousand quatlos on Spoony getting an anneurism over this ^^

Fool me once Richard.

I'll believe it when I see it, as it is I am still finding it hard to forgive you for selling out Origin to Satan himself in human form:

Lord British announces his next super awesome and super cool game and how awesome it will be! In other news, the sun rose again this morning and the tide did indeed go out and then in again. This has been No Fucking Shit radio giving you the news on things that happen all the damn time over and over again. We'll be back at 5, 5:30, 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30...

Richard Garriot doesn't own Ultima so unless he's partnered up with whoever does, probably E.A, this has nothing at all too do with it. That's why he was going too release "Ultimate" Rpg right? Too skirt the boundaries of trademark law because he couldn't touch Ultima itself.

You know what? I'm actually going to be optimistic about this. Richard Garriot is a pioneer. The Ultima series is probably the best example of freeform, non-inclusive moral choice, and an excellent example of using game mechanics to reinforce lore and themes. Color me somewhat interested.

Though, to be honest...I'm not entirely sure.

Solo-Wing:

DVS BSTrD:

BETRAYED ME!

"Whats a Paladin?"

BETRAYAL!!!

Countdown to a Lord British project that could potentially both involve EA AND Ultima?

I'll have the betrayal song-Ultima Edition- bookmarked and ready.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here