Watch This Robodog Throw Concrete Blocks Like Toys

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Watch This Robodog Throw Concrete Blocks Like Toys

Boston Dynamics' BigDog has been outfitted with a brand new robotic arm.

Boston Dynamics' BigDog robot is a powerhouse of the robotics world, but BigDog has clearly stepped up its game in the newest video, though, because it has acquired an arm capable of lifting and tossing concrete blocks to a smashing end. The arm uses what Boston Dynamics calls "Dynamic Manipulation" - the same type of whole body movement used by humans and animals, and Boston Dynamics is developing special actuators and control schemes to achieve it. For now, given the look of the cables coming from the side, it looks like BigDog is relying an external hydraulic rig to power that arm. Boston Dynamics is developing its robots in concert with DARPA and the US Army Research Laboratory.

BigDog is about 3 feet long, 2.5 feet tall, and weighs about 240 lbs. Those concrete blocks are probably between 40 and 50 lbs - so that robot is throwing a pretty good proportion of its weight around. According to Boston Dynamics, BigDog "runs at 4mph, climbs slopes up to 35 degrees, walks across rubble, climbs a muddy hiking trail, walks in snow and water, and carries a 340 lb load." BigDog is also a world record holder for legged vehicles, having traveled 12.8 miles without stopping or refueling.

Source: Boston Dynamics

That's the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in my life.

as if a bite from a real dog wasnt bad enough.

10 bucks they made it mostly for illegal underground robo fights.

I can't wait until they make a version suitable for the consumer market

I really really want one.

Kill it with fire!

zehydra:
I can't wait until they make a version suitable for the consumer market

I really really want one.

Just don't try to order one through FedEx, chances are most of the pieces will get stamped "return to cinder."

I'm imagining that thing in the Robot Wars show. My God. It would be beautiful.

Boston Dynamics also made a humanoid robot! Pretty cool, check it out.

I'll be honest when I saw the headline I thought it would just be a mobile trebuchet. That motion is incredible.

And here I thought Big Dog was terrifying enough.

Nope.

They went and gave it a claw instead of a head. Excellent.

My brother had a pitbull that would do pretty much exactly the same thing with 24" lawnmower tires. He'd latch hold of one and just wing it across the yard. He took out a section of slat fence a couple times.

METAL GEAR!!!

Oh, BigDog... Soon, I will have you and we shall ride into battle together! You will be my robo-steed! :D

octafish:
I'll be honest when I saw the headline I thought it would just be a mobile trebuchet. That motion is incredible.

And it's stupidly organic as well! It's almost as though a real animal is throwing it's weight into throwing those concrete blocks around! I'm not sure if I should be amazed or terrified.

Also: For a quick refresher, here is the robot BEFORE it got the arm

Woah, cool! Now I kinda want one...

Hey! When did it stop sounding like a swarm of angry bees?

LTK_70:

Crap, that was our only way of knowing it was near!

OT: I'm both amazed at how far we've come with technology, but also terrified at the same time...In the end though this is freaking amazing.

Pinkamena:

Holy mother of god...

That is amazing

Cool but holy fuck that thing is creepy looking when it moves.

Whelp, that's my nightmare tonight sorted out...

Really? Do I have to do this? ... geez, alright.

Dear mother of God, now they're ARMED!

Neronium:

LTK_70:

Crap, that was our only way of knowing it was near!

OT: I'm both amazed at how far we've come with technology, but also terrified at the same time...In the end though this is freaking amazing.

im wondering if it doesnt make that noise because its plugged into an external power source

It reminds me of a mule more than a dog because of that neck motion. That gives me an idea! Let's name robotdog "Horse". Not "Horsie", but "Horse".

Pinkamena:

They have style and technique, but they lack soul. I am convinced that someday technology will be able to modify and improve dance on their own! The day a two-legged robot is able to successfully perform a back-flip without failure shall be Day 1 of the CyberFunk future!

Throwing stuff, not to much tech needed, but just the shear force involved of throwing a cinder-block and the computer response for the robot balance to stay standing is amazing.

Terrifying.

So how long will it be till these things are real?

Awwww. Who's a good doggie? Your good doggie! You are! You are a very good doggie.

This thread is clear evidence that when the RoboDogs rise up and crush mankind under the weight of their cinder-blocks, the nerds shall inherit the earth just long enough to yell "WE TOLD YOU SO."

Interesting stuff though. For now. Before the end.

cjbos81:

"You know these crabs are gonna be great for America's construction projects because I've read these crabs are so strong that they can lift and throw car and passenger trains."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uq9pp586AE

Maxtro:
Terrifying.

Damn ninja'd. I was just going to say that it looks like a four legged gecko.

God that thing was horrible before they even gave it an arm.

Just the way it moved was horrible. Very reminiscent of a spider.

This would be a pretty effective fighting robot because I would shit my pants to the brim if one of those things was after me.
Jesus.

Obligatory:
I, for one, welcome our new canine, robotic overlords.

Genocidicles:
God that thing was horrible before they even gave it an arm.

Just the way it moved was horrible. Very reminiscent of a spider.

Man just imagine, give it 4 more legs, or two more legs and two arms... make its body a little more low slung...

rhizhim:
as if a bite from a real dog wasnt bad enough.

10 bucks they made it mostly for illegal underground robo fights.

Nah, you gotta think big.

Think modern warfare.

These things will rock. Can't wait to see one fitted with sabretooth fangs, razor sharp blades all over its body and full auto rifles, grenade launchers and combat shotguns fitted.

These beasts will strike fear in the hearts of the enemy, no matter who they are or how eternally justified they consider their aggression to be.

Everybody is bound to realize how futile praying is when a quadruped combat terminator battle beast is charging and lunging at them, intent to tear their body and soul to little, bite-sized shreds. I'd name mine Cenobyte, just for the lulz.

cjbos81:

I know, right? This thing is seriously creepy... but kind of cool.

Maxtro:
Terrifying.

luvd1:
Awwww. Who's a good doggie? Your good doggie! You are! You are a very good doggie.

isn't there a robot dog in metal gear rising as well? (haven't played it yet but I have seen some clips)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here