BioWare Bids Farewell With Mass Effect 3: Citadel Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

BioWare Bids Farewell With Mass Effect 3: Citadel Trailer

The trailer for the final Mass Effect 3 DLC trailer is an unabashedly sentimental journey.

The Citadel trailer, as you'd expect, has plenty of gunfire, tough talk and macho posturing, as Shepard and the gang find themselves attacked by a gang of armored, anonymous goons working for someone who's seriously cheesed off about something. But who could possibly want Commander Shepard dead - especially in this time of turmoil, when he represents the galaxy's last, best hope for survival against the Reaper onslaught?

Eh, who cares. Mass Effect 3: Citadel, as this trailer makes abundantly clear, is all about getting the band back together for one final show, and the specifics - who you're shooting at, why you're shooting at them - are secondary. Zaeed, Wrex, Jack and Miranda are all "back on the clock," as Shepard puts it, for a last hurrah through the corridors of the Citadel. It's a bittersweet farewell, but hopefully a memorable one, too.

Mass Effect 3: Citadel goes on sale March 5 for $14.99 or 1200 Microsoft/BioWare points.

Yeah, NOW they think bringing the whole crew together might be a good idea.

This looks so bad, but so great at the same time. I have to buy it.

Hang on... ..we have characters there who are *Spoilers* most definitely dead by part way through ME3, and other's who you won't see till after that point. Why do I have the feeling this is going to be some sort of hallucination on Shepard's part?

That doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. Definitely going to wait for reviews. The optimist in me says this is Bioware's way of mending the bridge... and the pessimist in me says EA wants more of my money >.<

i think that it may be a new female character(1:34), also i think that they will replacing mordin with a nother salarian, and thane with Kolyat.
if not, maybe is all in a party who knows

2:00 Those beer bottles look really out of place in a sci-fi universe.
Also, generic faceless dudes trying to imitate the joker just doesn't work.

Mmmmm, cheesy dialogue and borrowed sound effects (the screaming in the background is used in Dead Space among other countless things).

The thing I find most sad about this is that a lot of it was done purely due to vocal fans asking for "romance DLC" every since ME2 was released. While I certainly like RPG's having character relationships, a part of me can't shake the phrase "dating sim" out of my head whenever I think of it.

I won't deny that it does look better than expected, but I am one of "those people". The ones who feel that with the ending the way it is, it doesn't really matter what they add in between.

As always, the music is fantastic though.

If I do get this(and it is an option) I could see using zaeed just for sentimental purposes.

Notice how the chick at 0:40 never closes her mouth? Even though she clearly pronounces the letter P?

Several years and 3 Mass Effect titles later, Bioware STILL hasn't fired their horrible, horrible animators.

What if I got all my ME2 squadmates killed? I wonder how dramatically that changes the story...

*considers plopping down money for this DLC and perhaps the others*

Aaaaaannd... Then they die in a wave of space magic, the end.

Zaeed is in this in a potentially active role? Sold. Just for that.

Machine Man 1992:

That's my issue with this one. What's the point? And besides this story seems awkward as hell. The whole galaxy is struggling for survival and Shepard is chilling out. What he won't pick any calls because he is on a shore leave? Lots of fan service here, don't like it.

I haven't been interested in much Mass Effect related since the ending. But this?
This has my interest.

I don't care how much fan service this DLC is. I will buy anything that lets me play more as Commander Shepard. This is already the best DLC of 2013, everyone else can just stop trying...except maybe The Walking Dead putting out an epilogue with Clem.

Fappy:
That doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. Definitely going to wait for reviews. The optimist in me says this is Bioware's way of mending the bridge... and the pessimist in me says EA wants more of my money >.<

Let's just say 'both' as a way of being happy but not getting our hopes up.

Some good elements and some bad elements in the trailer. On one hand, seeing Shepards of both gender relaxing and connecting with their LIs is nice (FemShep and Garrus dancing? DAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!) on the other hand, the ending still kinda ruins it for me. Also save "today's entertainment is brought to you by random acts of violence" to established psychotic villains and not faceless mooks.

I mean if the ending hadn't sucked and this had been an epilogue, I would've been lapping this up. It's not, so I'm not.

james.sponge:

Machine Man 1992:

That's my issue with this one. What's the point? And besides this story seems awkward as hell. The whole galaxy is struggling for survival and Shepard is chilling out. What he won't pick any calls because he is on a shore leave? Lots of fan service here, don't like it.

Also, why weren't there more guys like the "Random Act of Violence" guy? None of the antagonists are really that compelling or funny.

Is it just me or do the voice actors sounds kinda tired?

Like their hearts aren't really in the series anymore, which would be completely understandable (not referring to any ending controversy, just that the series has been finished for a while now).

It sounds forced. On part of the developers, for pushing out yet another DLC for a saga that's already finished. On part of the voice actors, who don't sound involved anymore. On part of the story, where Shepard's kinda done it all before.

Maybe it's just me being somewhat tired of Mass Effect but I get the distinct impression that I'm not the only one. And it just feels sad to have a DLC that's giving off the impression it was made by people who were really tired of it all.

Theminimanx:
2:00 Those beer bottles look really out of place in a sci-fi universe.
Also, generic faceless dudes trying to imitate the joker just doesn't work.

I admit, I let out an exasperated groan when new faceless cannon fodder soldier said that line. Aside from that, the whole setting of this DLC feels out of place. Galactic civilization is on the precipice of annihilation? Lets go chill out and fuck around! The more comical thing is the suggestion for R&R is coming form the guy whose in the trenches watching his home world being torn asunder.

It's a bit late but hopefully it's like those mini-missions in ME3 where you just chill with your squad. The one with Garrus atop the Citadel was my favourite part of the game.

It looks silly and overpriced. ME3, unlike the previous games, gives you a sense of urgency, so lounging in some suite in the Citadel doesn't make sense. In addition to that, the Joker-wannabe faceless goons don't fit the game and are uninspired.

I guess it's only good for those who romanced characters that aren't squadmates in this game and really want closure.

norashepard:
Zaeed is in this in a potentially active role? Sold. Just for that.

SomebodyNowhere:
If I do get this(and it is an option) I could see using zaeed just for sentimental purposes.

With Zaeed appearing, that means this DLC probably contains the last voice lines from Robin Sachs that were recorded. I'd say it's worth it just for that.

Another greedy cash-grab from Bioware? How stupid do they think I...

Jack and Shepard together AND HE GOT HIMSELF A TATTOO. It's the same skull-"species human" tattoo she has!

Nevermind, I'm a sucker and buying this after all. Whoops.

I'm really surprised at the negativity in this thread. I, for one, am really excited about this DLC! Sure, it's fan service, but the game has been OUT FOR A YEAR. Who, at this point, is buying this if not the hardcore fans? There's lots of data showing how DLC sales shrink more and more beyond the release window due to people moving along and finding new games, which means that EA "doing this just for the money" is kind of silly, because this will most likely make SIGNIFICANTLY less money than something like the Leviathan DLC. Yes, they'll make some money here, but the primary motivation is probably more one of servicing the community and keeping them happy (which can help sales of the eventual ME 4/ME 0/ME Gaiden prequel/sequel/sidequel thingy).

Maybe it's because I've been playing the multiplayer all this time that I think this way. The last couple of DLC's for that have been all about delivering what the multiplayer community was asking for. From adding a new Collector faction, to introducing playable Volus, and now a female Turian and a playable Collector (closest thing lore-wise to the Prothean they were asking for), they've been all about finishing things off by checking items off the list of long time player requests. Regardless of what you may think of EA, Bioware at it's core still does a lot to listen to their community and give fans what they're asking for.*

*- Caveat: Before the cries of "Then where's my new ending?!" start, they did release a new ending. You might not like said new ending, but they did release it. It even included some options that the player base asked for, such as refusing any of the choices presented. Yes, they still had an artistic vision that they wanted to preserve (meaning no "mega happy ending" like in Wayne's World), but they compromised a lot more in giving us the extended cut DLC than I've seen other companies (video game or otherwise) do in the past.

That was not a "new" ending it was tacking stuff on to the exsisting one. Just saying yanno? A new ending would have replaced the starbrat and his off the wall logic with something that actually made sense. Anyhow, the ship on DLC and story content for ME3 and me has sailed. BW/EA will have to do a lot better than fan service that is shoehorned in to the plot that creates even more inconsistancies in the story before I'll even consider buying DLC from them.

I just saw femshep and Garrus dancing........

Gotta love how people all jump on the Zaeed lovevagon because his voice actor died. Not so long ago everyone was saying how he's one of the most boring characters in ME. I was one of the very few people to defend him. I thought his stories in ME2 were awesome. Especially the ones about Jessie and how to remove a head plate from a krogan.

Citadel DLC looks slightly embarrassing to be honest. Too much cheap attempts at emotional manipulation for my taste. But if the combat arena is any good I'll get it. It's not like people play Mass Effect 3 for it's story these days anyway.

Shepard: Everyone say "Normandy"!
Garrus: Normandyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Everyone else: Normandy!

Oh Garrus, lol.

This actually made me really excited. So tempted to either wait for my free Microsoft points to come in with Gears of War Judgment, or go to gamestop and purchase some points. So much fanservice in this DLC, but the price seems a bit high, decisions, decisions. The smart thing to do would be to wait and see what is actually in this DLC from others once it comes out.

But something tells me that I'm going to cave regardless. Oh well, once more into the breach ME3!

Poor Samara, Jacob, Steve, and Kasumi though. Barely got any sort of screentime in that trailer (though I'm sure for Jacob, being left out is normal).

Ooh! I'm definitely getting my hands on this! But first, playthrough ME1 and 2 first. I need my data back.

Adam Jensen:
Gotta love how people all jump on the Zaeed lovevagon because his voice actor died. Not so long ago everyone was saying how he's one of the most boring characters in ME. I was one of the very few people to defend him. I thought his stories in ME2 were awesome. Especially the ones about Jessie and how to remove a head plate from a krogan.

Citadel DLC looks slightly embarrassing to be honest. Too much cheap attempts at emotional manipulation for my taste. But if the combat arena is any good I'll get it. It's not like people play Mass Effect 3 for it's story these days anyway.

Oh don't worry I still don't like him. I respect the voice actor and I do like the voice, but I don't like Zaeed. Less about him being flat and more about him being a freaking psychopath.

Did I see Kolyat in there? Pretty sure I saw Kolyat.

Hell yeah.

Adam Jensen:

What you talking about Jensen? I've always loved Zaeed! In fact, I was sooooo hoping that his appearance in ME3 would be something about getting the parts together to fix Jenny for one last run... =( Oh well, maybe the DLC will do something with that!

It looks cool and all, and I might actually consider getting it, but then it comes back to the point of not the ending, but the point of the game's original story. All the DLC's except possibly the Leviathan one seem to involve major side tracking. I know you can kind of dawdle and go on some side quests in the third game, but to me it felt like the final game was supposed to be the final sprint, shit had fully hit the fan and time was of the essence as you pulled together everyone you could find who was willing to fight the Reapers to try and stop the extinction of every advanced race. It just feels really weird to be like "Well, the Reapers are invading every galaxy and are currently murdering everything on earth, lets go clear a small faction of Cerberus to save a planet of criminals and then relax with my friends"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here