Assassin's Creed IV Director Didn't Consider Female Protagonists

Pages PREV 1 2

Rogue 09:
snip

Alright, at this point I can't tell if your being serious are not but your post does bring something I want to point out so...

One of the arguments being talked about (here anyways) seems to be on the fact that women pirates weren't all that common during the time period. My question is...so? Why would we want to play the "common" stuff? That's real life! Heck, if it was a pirate women, that would add so much more to the story. Not only must this person have to face multiple enemies and natural dangers, but must convince a VERY sexist world on her right to be who she is. That's a wonderful story to explore in a game!

As for the announcement itself, I believe them. They did have an idea of what they wanted to do. Since it's their game, their story, and their ideas, I can't fault them for that.

Just to clarify for everyone visiting the IGN article.

The quote: "if you look at what sells, it's tough to justify something like that" was actually from Chris Perna of Epic Games. They brought it up in their piece because it related to the interview they were discussing. It was not said by Mr. Ismail.

StewShearer:
Just to clarify for everyone visiting the IGN article.

The quote: "if you look at what sells, it's tough to justify something like that" was actually from Chris Perna of Epic Games. They brought it up in their piece because it related to the interview they were discussing. It was not said by Mr. Ismail.

Oh, thanks then. I only skimmed the other article.

xaszatm:

Rogue 09:
snip

Alright, at this point I can't tell if your being serious are not but your post does bring something I want to point out so...

One of the arguments being talked about (here anyways) seems to be on the fact that women pirates weren't all that common during the time period. My question is...so? Why would we want to play the "common" stuff? That's real life! Heck, if it was a pirate women, that would add so much more to the story. Not only must this person have to face multiple enemies and natural dangers, but must convince a VERY sexist world on her right to be who she is. That's a wonderful story to explore in a game!

As for the announcement itself, I believe them. They did have an idea of what they wanted to do. Since it's their game, their story, and their ideas, I can't fault them for that.

At least I'm keeping you guessing!

The one argument that I have for this is that they seem to have pushed this extremely odd and crazy story-line and plug it into history so the interactions are as close as they can get while using artistic freedom. The put a lot of research and history into their game, so making a lady pirate would be a bit out of the norm for their goals.

Another thing is how Conner was received in ACIII. The Founding Fathers all stood around while an Indian Assassin was just watching it all happen. People called out how out of touch this all felt. I'm not at all against women protagonists in video games, but in this series it seems out of place for the specific times we're referring to.

I love you. Please don't hate me.

Sgt Pepper:

*snip*

I thought Ezio was great in AC2 as there was character development. He started off as a young womaniser, then grows up when he sees his family betrayed. Starts off as an amateur Assassin and eventually grows into it. I just felt with the next two nothing really changed. It was like they had him there purely because "who else could it be?"

As for the lack of female leads selling games, I agree, I do think the attitude is more down to developers and publishers playing it safe and making assumptions rather than gamers actually being bothered. Like the way that they still try and sell some games using "sexy women", when the vast majority of people just blank it out. I think it says more about the game creators than the players that we don't have more female leads.

I'm glad they're at least looking at the possibility of female main characters for future games, though I can expect them to botch an interesting look at women in history.

So, a bunch of magical alien prophecies and a machine that lets you relive the past lives of your ancestors is somehow less of a "detail people got stuck on" than a female pirate as the protagonist? Especially when female pirates *actually existed*? :U

Mate focus on a characters back story motivations and personality first.

Worry about Minor things like gender later.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here