Counter-Strike Modder's New FPS Coming Soon

Counter-Strike Modder's New FPS Coming Soon

Tactical Intervention, Mihn "Gooseman" Le's new tactical FPS, releases March 28th.

Everything old is new again. Along with turn-based strategy, tactical FPSs seem to be resurging as well. After years in closed beta, Mihn "Gooseman" Le's new FPS Tactical Intervention is ramping up for a release on March 28th. It aims to shake up the competitive FPS market with a host of new additions.

Back in 1999, Le co-created the original Counter-Strike mod for Half-Life. Valve bought both the mod and most of the dev team a year later, polishing the little mod into the competitive classic it is today. There, he was working on Counter-Strike 2, but the project was eventually scrapped. Afterwords, he left to create his own game. Almost a decade later, that game is getting released.

As per his previous creation, Tactical Intervention features two teams of players trying to off each other with modern paramilitary equipment. There are a few new additions this time around, including rappelling, attack dogs, and vehicles. A complete list of availible items (including varieties of headsets and protective eyewear) can be found on the official site. It will run within the comfortable confines of a modified Source Engine. Players looking for a taste can play in the open beta starting March 14th, with early access keys being handed out via Joystiq.

Tactical Intervention has been in closed beta since 2010 and in development even longer. Recently, it has been picked up by F2P MMO publisher OGPlanet for distribution.

Source: Tactical Intervention

Yeah, I won't be able to play that. The whole time I was saying to myself "what is the point of the sight if you can't use it? ... and why on earth are all the guns left handed!?".

...tactical?
I just saw a fast paced frag 'em up with a fuck ton of recoil and disorientation.
Yeah, real tactical there.

I know that video's almost two years old, so I have to hope that there's been some improvement, because it looks like an FPS version of one of those over-the-top arcade gun games, like Crisis Zone- which isn't bad, per se, but not something I'd want to play a whole lot.

Also, you'd think Gooseman would know better than to use those screen-hogging weapons models.

...Keeping in mind that it's still in beta, it has potential to be a CS competitor but so far it seems like they're just reinventing the wheel...Like Valve did.

It looks like a crapier version of Serious Sam pretending to take itself seriously ~_~

Assassin Xaero:
Yeah, I won't be able to play that. The whole time I was saying to myself "what is the point of the sight if you can't use it? ... and why on earth are all the guns left handed!?".

They all looked pretty right handed to me.

Oh lean, how I've missed you.

It's also nice to see a shooter that knows its a game and not a stumbling Modern Warfarefighter. Usually it's the SciFi games that eschew sights and go full pewpew.

It looks far more like action quake than counter strike, which seems like what Mihn originally wanted to do, but it also seems way too "noisy" (visually more than audibly) to have the level of competitive viability that has been keeping people playing cs for the past dozen or so years. I'd have to actually play it to know for sure though.

DVS BSTrD:
It looks like a crapier version of Serious Sam pretending to take itself seriously ~_~

Assassin Xaero:

How so? He was holding them right handed, but the casings were shooting out of the left side of the gun, hence left handed. Those things are hot when they come out, why would you want them flying at your face every time you pull the trigger? Now after watching it again... the bolt is on the left? Well, uhh... yeah, I'm not even going to try to figure that out.

Assassin Xaero:

DVS BSTrD:

Assassin Xaero:

How so? He was holding them right handed, but the casings were shooting out of the left side of the gun, hence left handed. Those things are hot when they come out, why would you want them flying at your face every time you pull the trigger? Now after watching it again... the bolt is on the left? Well, uhh... yeah, I'm not even going to try to figure that out.

He wanted to animate it? That's all I can think of.

Played about an hour of this today. Was not super spiffy.

Looks far from tactical, in fact the only thing remotely tactical is the name. It looks like has the CS float. I can't see myself playing it when I could play one of the flavours of CS if that was what I wanted. I guess I might actually be competitive away from CS players...but I just want to play Battlefield when it comes to multi-player.

Reminds me a lot of CS. It's odd people are calling this "fast paced" and such in the comments. It doesn't seem that fast to me. UT and Quake were a lot faster.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here