Game Informer Reveals Thief Reboot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game Informer Reveals Thief Reboot

The next-gen Thief is expected to launch next year.

Thief 4, or Thi4f as it was labeled by the official Eidos website, is now officially known as simply Thief and will be a reboot of the classic stealth series, according to this month's issue of Game Informer. Garrett is back in action in a "Gothic industrial metropolis," stealing everything that's not nailed down, and will also very likely find himself eventually, and unwillingly, drawn into the religious and political intrigues of the City, which has fallen under the rule of a tyrant known as the Baron and also happens to be suffering the ravages of a plague.

Sound familiar? The Dishonored comparisons are unavoidable, and the new Garrett certainly has more of a mechanical, ninja-like look about him - it looks like he finally got that bow upgrade - but the studio pointed out in a brief preview trailer that the other Eidos Montreal team did a very good job bringing back another much-loved franchise - Deus Ex - and said that the Thief team is determined to prove that wasn't just a matter of luck.

Thief is currently slated to come out in 2014 for the PC, PlayStation 4 and other next-gen platforms. And Eidos has (finally) updated the Thief website, so you can get a better look at what's new at thief4.com.

Source: Game Informer

Please don't mess this up! Please don't mess this up! Please don't mess this up!

Thief 3 was a step back from the first two, I hope they can mange some steps forward this time as well!

The stealth in Human Revolution was actually fairly decent by recent standards, but I'd hope that they can do better for a much more necessarily stealth focused game. Human revolution felt like it was being played wrong if you didn't use stealth, since the game acted like that was how you'd approach everything, so maybe for a game where that's actually true they can do a better job of the mechanics. I certainly hope so.

Eidos' previous reboot/continuation (Human revolution felt like more of a reboot than a prequel, on account of all the retcons and the lack of very much plot connection) was much better than we'd expected, so maybe they can do the same again.

I don't think it would make sense to compare the new Thief to Dishonored just yet since, let's be honest here, Dishonored owed a lot to the Thief series in the first place.

Just remember kids, Dishonored was a game its devs made since it couldn't make Thief 4.

Me? I could cry and pee my pants and loot this whole town I'm so excited. Thief is a huge favorite of mine and this is amazing. Garrett looks so BAMF. There will be detractors going "it's different, so now it sucks" but do we still want our graphics to look like polygonal polio victims? I hope it takes Thief 1/2's stealth and expands it. I am super excited.

Time to change my avatar back to Viktoria, I think.

Andy Chalk:

Thief is currently slated to come out in 2014 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and other next-gen platforms.

I thought it was slated for the PS4 and not PS3?

"I've always equated "feelings" with "getting caught"...they both get in the way of my money. Unfortunately not everyone is as committed to their work as I am."

They should have taken my suggestion on names - TH1+3F.

Still excited. And more dishonored style gaming isn't a bad thing, either.

PsychedelicDiamond:
I don't think it would make sense to compare the new Thief to Dishonored just yet since, let's be honest here, Dishonored owed a lot to the Thief series in the first place.

And now they're going to base this Game off Dishonored. Thank god Dishonored didn't have multiplayer!

Korten12:
I thought it was slated for the PS4 and not PS3?

It is. Old habits die hard.

Andy Chalk:
Thief 4, or Thi4f as it was labeled by the official Eidos website, is now officially known as simply Thief and will be a reboot of the classic stealth series, according to this month's issue of Game Informer.

So... reboot, not sequel? If so, I wonder how they'll explain the right eye, if at all

omicron1:

I would say it is if you're making a Thief game.

*Screams and proceeds to flip out*

Finally some real news!
Please please PLEASE don't suck!

Andy Chalk:

omicron1:

I would say it is if you're making a Thief game.

Agreed. Dishonored allowed you go to go all out if you put the skills into it. In Thief you should be punished if you try just going around fighting people in open combat. Not impossible, but very difficult. It should also be a lot slower paced than the more faster paced Dishonored.

Goody! ...uh that, um, wetness? I uh, I just shot a water arrow and it missed and hit my pants?

I am so glad this is coming for next-gen, hopefully it won't be broken up into one room at a time with no backtracking now they have some RAM to work with.

Oh god pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.
Thief 2 was THE game of my childhood. If they mess this up trying to make it too modern, accommodating, or too action/set-piece-focused, I will be very upset.

Norrdicus:

Andy Chalk:
Thief 4, or Thi4f as it was labeled by the official Eidos website, is now officially known as simply Thief and will be a reboot of the classic stealth series, according to this month's issue of Game Informer.

So... reboot, not sequel? If so, I wonder how they'll explain the right eye, if at all

They haven't said either way. Saying it's a reboot at this point is quite wrong. At the very least, with the presence of the Mechanical Eye, it's Post-Dark Project. I'm feeling it's a sequel.

Excited but I hope they go back to the big sprawling levels of Thief 2 and not the small separate areas of Deadly Shadows.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Excited but I hope they go back to the big sprawling levels of Thief 2 and not the small separate areas of Deadly Shadows.

Hopefully next-gen hardware will allow that to be true! Damn original Xbox limitations!

I'm calling it now, this game is going to suck. In fat I won't be surprised if half way through the game they decide stealing stuff is boring and garret should be a crusader for the people. Oh and lets also copy dishonored some more, a game that was boring that I couldn't get through the first 3 missions.

Andy Chalk:
- it looks like he finally got that bow upgrade -

It's about damn time! How many hours were spent searching the Bonehoard for that thing?!

I can't say I'm terribly enthused about this. While the new outfit looks much better than the one in Thief 3, I worry that they'll try to make this a medival-themed Splinter Cell clone. Still, I suppose a reboot is better than a sequel, since Deadly Shadows did a pretty fair job of wrapping things up for our good thief.

Oh, and also: Stephen Russell as the voice of Garrett is mandatory. No taffer worth his or her lockpicks will settle for anything else!

I'm cautiously lowering my expectations for this. I still hope they'll create a first-class stealth experience based on thieving instead of assassination, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dishonored is a good game, but it's not Thief.

Unlikely to live up to expectations.

Eidos hasn't produced anything particularly noteworthy recently, far as I'm aware; likely none of the team from the original games will be working on it, Eidos and the associated publisher (Square Enix isn't it?) has shareholders to please, no-kill stealth gameplay with open ended environments is a niche, and niches don't please shareholders.

System Shock 2 fans didn't like Bioshock, X-Com fans don't like the XCOM reboot (far as I'm aware anyway, I liked both), and Thief fans are unlikely to like this.

It's a shift in the times. I don't like beating the 'it was better yesterday' drum, I hate that fuckin' drum, but even Dishonored - far as I'm aware a moderately successful game - was niche, and probably didn't prove to publishers that such a game can be successful enough to please shareholders. I 'unno, depends on kind of the budget it has and the kind of investment it has behind it.

At least there's Dishonored. I love Dishonored. I'm in the minority, apparently, but GOD I love it. Off topic I know.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it's not in Eidos' best interests as a business to make a Thief reboot that's entirely in the spirit of the original game. Guess we just have to hope on their interests as a game developer.

Pink Gregory:
Unlikely to live up to expectations.

Eidos hasn't produced anything particularly noteworthy recently, far as I'm aware; likely none of the team from the original games will be working on it, Eidos and the associated publisher (Square Enix isn't it?) has shareholders to please, no-kill stealth gameplay with open ended environments is a niche, and niches don't please shareholders.

System Shock 2 fans didn't like Bioshock, X-Com fans don't like the XCOM reboot (far as I'm aware anyway, I liked both), and Thief fans are unlikely to like this.

It's a shift in the times. I don't like beating the 'it was better yesterday' drum, I hate that fuckin' drum, but even Dishonored - far as I'm aware a moderately successful game - was niche, and probably didn't prove to publishers that such a game can be successful enough to please shareholders. I 'unno, depends on kind of the budget it has and the kind of investment it has behind it.

At least there's Dishonored. I love Dishonored. I'm in the minority, apparently, but GOD I love it. Off topic I know.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it's not in Eidos' best interests as a business to make a Thief reboot that's entirely in the spirit of the original game. Guess we just have to hope on their interests as a game developer.

Okay, wait wait wait, hold on.

You seriosuly didn't know Eidos already did Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and that Dishonored surpassed Bethesda's sales expectations so hard that the marketing chief pretty much outright said "Oh yes, there will be a sequel!"

Norrdicus:
Snip'd

No, I did not know that. And forgot about Deus Ex. Although surpassing sales expectations relies on what those sales expectations actually were. Depends what you call success, far as I'm aware Eidos at least aren't going for EA-style sales figures, which is encouraging.

I'd go for a remake. Thief HD would be harder to screw up, surely?

Hmm... It's a reboot, and not a remake, so I wonder what Mr. Croshaw thinks about this? I mean, I can make a fairly educated guess, but, still. I hope he brings it up in a Z/EP at some point.

OT: Never got in to the series the first time around. They came out right around the right time, but I was a console gamer growing up, and never had an Xbox, so Deadly Shadows passed me by. Might be time to go look at the Steam release of the Thief bundle, see if I want to get pumped for this one or not.

Sweet merciful gods of gaming, PLEASE let it be good.

Thief was the first title that really got me into gaming. From there it's been an awesome ride, but I can always go back to that series for comfort.

New Thief!!!!!! *squeee...*

... Wait what?, "reboot"... plague?... a tyrant?... uh oh... please, don't turn this into another Dishonored.

I mean, I liked Dishonored AS Dishonored, I wouldn't like Thief to turn into a Dishonored spinoff of sorts, I mean, the original setting was perfectly fine!, why do they needed to make everything from scratch?.

Well, at least I can adjust my expectations pretty much around the floor. I'd be happy if it turns better than Thief 3, but I ain't expecting it to reach Thief 1/2 perfectness.

CAPTCHA: Rule of Thumb. Pretty much this, if it ain't broken, don't fix it!.

They better not New-Dante up Garrett, or I will cry.

Making Garrett completely silent would be better than that, he was my teenage hero.

Only played thief 3 and loved it.

People tell me all the time 2 (and sometimes 1) are much better, still need to get around to those.

Still. They better not fuck this up.

solely the ninja look on garret is making me feel uncomfortable.

i bet they are aiming for a "broader audicence" like dishonored and its fast paced and easy to broken stealth mechanics.

As long as it doesn't feature crazy parkour I am in. Thief was never about that stuff. Sure climbing and sneaking in the rafters or ducts fine. But hanging on the side of a building? Bit much Eidos.

Go back and play Thief 2, remove the lame parts of the combat and learn from that game. A house. Shiny things. Guards.

There is your game.

rhizhim:
solely the ninja look on garret is making me feel uncomfortable.

i bet they are aiming for a "broader audicence" like dishonored and its fast paced and easy to broken stealth mechanics.

This is Eidos Montreal we are taking about. They did a very good job with Deus Ex including both a little bit of casuality and "broader audience" audience appeal as well as a couple of old school features that made the first game good. I'm hoping they won't fail this time either. Stealth game with open levels how hard can that be :P

Another reminder, kids:

The Baron has been mentioned since I believe, the first game, he's just been off to war.
The plague was part of the third, with the Docks being sealed off due to it.
We have it all but confirmed there will be no magic like Dishonored, since that would be so out of place. That is good.
Dishonored took a whole bunch from Thief.
Have confidence, Taffers. Deus Ex Human Revolution was pretty awesome, I expect Thief to be the same.

The Rogue Wolf:

Oh, and also: Stephen Russell as the voice of Garrett is mandatory. No taffer worth his or her lockpicks will settle for anything else!

Abso-freakin-lutely! I'm still pissed that the new Splinter Cell doesn't have Michael Ironside. It's Stephen Russell or GTFO.

I'm so stoked that there's a new Thief coming out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here