Big Deal on the Internet: Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 on Sale

Big Deal on the Internet: Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 on Sale

This week's Big Deal comes with lots of big title releases and recent price drops on AAA games.

The graphically intense Crysis 3 that released only 2 weeks ago (Feb. 19th) is already 30% off this week at Origin. In the past, we've seen similar PC download discounts on recent releases, but this sale includes the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions as well, all with free shipping. Could the price drop have something to do with the mediocre storyline? One would think the high-end graphics and well-reviewed gameplay would make up for that in terms of sales. Nevertheless, there's no question this is a solid deal. The price drop isn't universal, with all other retailers remaining at or within a few bucks of the full $59.99 MSRP.

Only one month after release, the Dead Space 3 PC download is down to nearly half off list price at GameFly. This marks a new low by $8, and you're saving $10 off the current next best price at Origin. Reviews are generally positive for this visually pleasing FPS.

If you remember Strong Bad, the Indie Royale Mash Bundle might be worth buying just for Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. At time of posting, the price is $5.90 for this plus four other PC download games. If you pay more, you lower the price for other customers; pay the minimum, and the price rises by a penny. Normally you'd pay around $65 for these games separately, meaning this deal weighs in at about 90% savings.

GameFly has a series of PC games on sale, with six of them at the low price of $3.99 each after coupon. The featured title is the fairly well-received Bulletstorm (GFWL version). Other games discounted to $3.99 include Alice: Madness Returns and F.E.A.R. 3.

Games releasing today include the sixth Sim City game, complete with its DRM-ridden controversies; Tomb Raider, another highly-anticipated reboot title; and yet another expansion for the Sims, The Sims 3: University Life.

Hot Deals of the Week

Crysis 3 (PC Download, Xbox 360, PS3) - $41.99 at Origin

Next best is $60 at Green Man Gaming. Deal expires March 10.

Dead Space 3 (PC Download) - $31.99 at GameFly

Next best is $42 at Origin Elsewhere $60. Deal expires March 7.

Bulletstorm (PC Download) - $3.99 at GameFly

Next best is $15 at Amazon. Deal expires March 7.

LEGO Lord of the Rings (Xbox 360, PS3) - $23.99 at Groupon

Yup, Groupon sell games now. Next best is $35 at Amazon. Deal expires today.

Indie Royale's the Mash Bundle - $5.88 at Indie Royale

Next best is $65 at Steam. Includes 5 games: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Guns of Icarus Online, Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise, KRUNCH, Delve Deeper. Deal expires March 6.

Released Today

SimCity: Limited Edition (PC Download) - $59.99 at Green Man Gaming

Pre-order bonus choice of $10 GMG Credit or $7 Cash Back. List is $60.

Tomb Raider (PC Download) - $40 at Green Man Gaming

Next best is $60 at GameFly. Deal expires March 8. The PS3 and Xbox are $54.99 with free shipping at GameStop after coupon.

The Sims 3: University Life (PC Download) - $32 at Green Man Gaming

Green Man Gaming

Dollar Dash (PC Download) - $6.80

March 6 release. List is $10.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 (PC Download) - $24

March 12 release. List is $30. Deal expires March 8.

Dishonored (PC Download) - $26.40

Next best is $48 at GameFly. Deal expires March 8.

GameFly

L.A. Noire Complete Edition (PC Download) - $5.99

Next best is $30 at Amazon. Deal expires March 7.

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (PC Download) - $3.99

Next best is $20 at Origin. Deal expires March 7.

Alice: Madness Returns (PC Download) - $3.99

Next best is $15 at Amazon. Deal expires March 7.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (PC Download) - $3.99

Next best is $20 at Origin. Deal expires March 7.

The Saboteur (PC Download) - $3.99. Next best is $20 at Origin

Deal expires March 7.

F.E.A.R. 3 (PC Download) - $3.99

Next best is $20 at Green Man Gaming. Deal expires March 7.

More Game Deals

Everything Dead Space (PC Download) is up to 50% off at Origin

Dead Space franchise on sale at Origin. Include all Dead Space games plus all recent Dead Space 3 DLC.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (PC) - $29.99 at NewEgg

Next best is $48 at Amazon. Deal expires March 11.

GameStop Coupon Codes $5 off a $54.99+ and $10 off two $34.99+ games[/strong].
Coupons work with in-stock games only and expire March 15.

Gaming Hardware

128GB Kingston SSDNow V200 Series SSD - $69.99 at Staples

Next best is $100 at Best Buy. Deal expires March 9.

HP Envy dv7t-7300 Quad Edition - $824.99 plus $9.99 shipping at HP

Ivy Bridge Quad Core i7-3630QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 635M 2GB, Blu-ray, and Windows 8. List is $975. Deal expires March 9.

Dell Inspiron 17R Special Edition (Refurbished) - $749.99 at eBay

Ivy Bridge Quad Core i7-3630QM, 8GB RAM, and GeForce GT 650M 2GB. List is $1,300.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 59360241 - $849 at Lenovo

Ivy Bridge Quad Core i7-3632QM, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 16GB SSD, GeForce GT 650M, 1080p Full HD, and Windows 8. List is $1,349. Deal expires March 8.

Xbox 360 Live 12-Month Gold Membership (Digital Code) - $31.49 at NewEgg

Requires the use of a one time use coupon code and payment with a Visa "V.me" account. Deal expires March 11.

There is a crash coming.

Right now we are in the inception van, slo-moing over the bridge... this industry better wake up before we hit water.

Wait, how does Origin think it has a hope selling the saboteur for more than a tenner? Jaysus.

I can't get my head around that a crash may be coming...when the internet is full of fan boys that eat up any marketing thrown at them. Maybe there really is a vocal minority..all this time I thought it was a made up thing

IronMit:
I can't get my head around that a crash may be coming...when the internet is full of fan boys that eat up any marketing thrown at them. Maybe there really is a vocal minority..all this time I thought it was a made up thing

it's not just the gaming industry - it's EVERYTHING.
the fact that we will (probably) have a crash here in the near future is just a symptom of the broader collapse of our current system, see all the financial mess american politicians try to avoid for years now and whatnot/etc. .
[Just the opinion based on what I can see in the (german) news and how companies are running for their fucking lifes all over the globe. except china. :D ]

also on topic:
that pricedrop, on origins of all things, horrifies the hell out of me.

You could sell them for $0.99 and I wouldn't touch them as long as its origin exclusive. Of course that is me personally. Deadspace 3 supposedly had underperforming sales alongside crysis 3. Guess EA better stop trying to appeal to a wider audience before they have no audience.

Sim City will be joining DS3 and Crysis after it's fabulous launch debacle.

Crash and Burn games industry... crash and burn.

IronMit:

It's like a neutron star, it heats up but doesn't expand, then it hits a critical point and just explodes

Preacher zer0:
Sim City will be joining DS3 and Crysis after it's fabulous launch debacle.

Crash and Burn games industry... crash and burn.

Well hopefully it's just crash and burn EA. At the rate they've been going recently it really doesn't seem like it'll be long.

IronMit:

Well, the reason why people are saying a crash might be coming is because we're looking at brand new games like Dead Space 3, hitting 50% off a month or so after release, while riding the coattails of massive backlash over things like it's microtransaction system.

Sites like The Escapist, Gamefaqs, and others are largely not indicative of the gaming populance as a whole. You need to be pretty bloody into gaming to get on forums like this and post about games, argue about companies, hardware, and what the industry is doing. While such sites have their fanboys, understand that your increasingly seeing a lot of anti-gaming behavior that even the most intense droning fanboys cannot blot out. We're even seeing features like "Jimquisition" on sites like this one going off on the industry over the things we're seeing happen with games like "Colonial Marines" and Dead Space.

When titles need to move millions of copies at full price in order to be successful, no amount of message traffic is going to give you more than a general impression of "good or bad" though if your seeing vastly more of one than the other it's a good sign which way things are going. If the negatives keep recurring and aren't being drowned out by the fanboys, it's a good sign things aren't going well, especially if people are harpning on those problems quite a ways after a game's period of initial release as well.

Metacritic ratings are no longer a good gauge of a game's actual reception, due to the way information has been being controlled (bad ratings and reviews surpressed until after initial release), false information being fed to reviewers in the form of bogus demos (like with Aliens: Colonial Marines) and of course the general merry go round of corruption complaints based on the sources hosting reviewers and critics being dependant on the very things they review and criticize for advertising revenues (something which most heavily came to a head with the whole Gerstmann fiasco over "Kane and Lynch")... not to mention the whole issue with employees being caught apparently trying to pad up the metarating of "Dragon Age 2" when it was first released.

What is a good "gauge" is when you see big titles dropping by huge amounts so quickly after their initial release, which smacks of desperation to make as much money as possible with a failing title or IP.

When big titles like "Dead Space 3" fail, it has an effect on their publishers, and when a lot of products like this tank in succession it can do a lot of damage to even unstoppable juggernauts. Too many big-budget failures and even EA or Activision-Blizzard can go down.

People are forecasting a crash because the big publishers are getting greedier and greedier, and puking out derivitive "design by committee" products that people aren't liking a whole lot, which then underperform. To point a finger at Dead Space 3, when they took what was supposed to be a Semi-Horrorific Science Fiction epic about isolation and fighting incredible odds, and turned it into a co-op game with tacked on microtransactions as a conveinence device for a grinding/scavenging mechanic, it sort of illustrates the problem with the direction the industry wants to go in. When that game performs badly enough to see a 50% drop this quick, despite it's huge budget that's going to have an effect, especially when at the same time you see this happening you have industry big-wigs in denial trying to tell us all that "customers love being gouged for microtransactions" despite the massive backlash over it we see.

Uh well, not sure how well my rambling articulates the point I'm trying to make, but basically the crash is coming because the industry is unwilling to change, and price drops like the ones in this thread are generally a sign that the general consumers are not supporting these products despite what certain fanboys might have you believe. The people posting about how they aren't going to buy "Dead Space 3" after what EA did to it, apparently being much greater in number in reality than the fanboys screaming it's praises, which is why your seeing an attempt at "well umm, okay, well would you be tempted to maybe tolerate this product for half off? Please... please... really guys". One product isn't doing it, but look at how many games seem to be underperforming, tanking, or getting fan-rage and people making to clear they won't support a product like what is being shown (especially when microtransactions, DRM and such get involved) before they are even released.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here