Dishonored Wins Best Game at BAFTAs

Dishonored Wins Best Game at BAFTAs

Journey also cleans house with five awards, and The Walking Dead scores in the Story category.

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) recently finished acknowledging the past year's finer games in the BAFTA Game Awards: Dishonored was awarded with Best Game, while Journey swept the pool with wins in five categories.

Journey, developed by thatgamecompany for the PS3, was recognized in the fields of Artistic Achievement, Audio Achievement, Online - Multiplayer, Original Music and Game Design. Giant Sparrow's The Unfinished Swan won two categories, and Telltale Games's The Walking Dead also came away with two awards, including best Story.

In the end, it was Dishonored that was recognized as the Best Game of 2012; the steampunk stealth-action title managed to win over other titles such as Mass Effect 3, The Walking Dead, FIFA 13 and Far Cry 3.

The Academy also bestowed Gabe Newell with a BAFTA Fellowship, considered to be its "highest accolade" for contributions to the games industry. Newell joins other Fellows such as Peter Molyneux, Shigeru Miyamoto and Will Wright.

For a more detailed look at the other winners and contenders, you can check out the full list below:

Action

• Far Cry 3 - winner
  • Hitman: Absolution
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • Halo 4
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Borderlands 2

Artistic Achievement

• Journey - winner
  • Halo 4
  • Borderlands 2
  • Far Cry 3
  • The Room
  • Dear Esther

Audio Achievement

• Journey - winner
  • Far Cry 3
  • Beat Sneak Bandit
  • Halo 4
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Dear Esther

BAFTA Ones To Watch Award in association with Dare to Be Digital

• Starcrossed - winner
  • Project Thanatos
  • Pixel Story

Best Game

• Dishonored - winner
  • Journey
  • Mass Effect 3
  • The Walking Dead
  • FIFA 13
  • Far Cry 3

British Game

• The Room - winner
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted
  • Forza Horizon
  • Dear Esther
  • Super Hexagon
  • LEGO: The Lord of the Rings

Debut Game

• The Unfinished Swan - winner
  • Deadlight
  • Forza Horizon
  • Dear Esther
  • Proteus
  • The Room

Family

• LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - winner
  • Minecraft: XBOX 360 Edition
  • Just Dance 4
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Clay Jam
  • LEGO The Lord of the Rings

Fellowship

• Gabe Newell

Game Design

• Journey - winner
  • Dishonored
  • Far Cry 3
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Borderlands 2
  • The Walking Dead

Game Innovation

• The Unfinished Swan - winner
  • Fez
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  • Wonderbook: Books of Spells
  • Journey
  • Kinect Sesame Street TV

Mobile & Handheld

• The Walking Dead - winner
  • LittleBigPlanet (Vita)
  • New Star Soccer
  • Incoboto
  • Super Monsters Ate My Condo
  • The Room

Online - Browser

• SongPop - winner
  • The Settlers Online
  • Merlin: The Game
  • Runescape
  • Amateur Surgeon Hospital
  • Dick and Dom's HOOPLA!

Online - Multiplayer

• Journey - winner
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Need For Speed Most Wanted
  • Halo 4
  • Borderlands 2

Original Music

• Journey - winner
  • Diablo III
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • The Walking Dead

Performer

• Danny Wallace (The Narrator) - winner
  • Nolan North (Nathan Drake)
  • Melissa Hutchinson (Clementine)
  • Dave Fennoy (Lee Everett)
  • Adrian Hough (Haytham)
  • Nigel Carrington (The Narrator)

Sports/Fitness

• New Star Soccer - winner
  • Forza Horizon
  • F1 2012
  • Nike+ Kinect Training
  • Trials Evolution
  • FIFA 13

Story

• The Walking Dead - winner
  • Journey
  • Far Cry 3
  • Thomas was Alone
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Dishonored

Strategy

• XCOM: Enemy Unknown - winner
  • Dark Souls: Prepare To Die
  • Diablo III
  • Great Big War Game
  • Total War Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai
  • Football Manager 2013

Source: BAFTA

I watched it live last night, it was a fun and for the first time I can't really argue against the winners. And it was entertaining seeing gabe almost weeing himself with nerves when he got on stage.

Timothy Chang:
Game Innovation

• BAHAHAHAHAHA! Stop, you're killing me. I won't argue with the winners and I could be wrong with the following, but it's my opinion so there: it all rather smacks of a game awards ceremony by people who don't really know what they're talking about. Just kinda picking the biggest, most high-profile games for a lot of categories.

Still, wider recognition and increased attention should be good.

Good choices, all around. They seem like they know what they're doing.

I'm happy to see Journey win the multiplayer award.

Totally deserved. I'd like to see more games use that seamless approach.

I'm actually impressed that there aren't any that I really feel like I want to argue with. Hell; Journey won the award for Best Online Multiplayer, beating the dreaded BlOps2 out of it. I'm pretty fucking happy with these.

Teoes:

Timothy Chang:
    Game Innovation

• BAHAHAHAHAHA! Stop, you're killing me. I won't argue with the winners and I could be wrong with the following, but it's my opinion so there: it all rather smacks of a game awards ceremony by people who don't really know what they're talking about. Just kinda picking the biggest, most high-profile games for a lot of categories.

You just need to look at some of the other nominations as proof that the awards probably aren't based on pure merit. Best browser game nomination, Dick and Dom. Best story nomination, Mass Effect 3 (I guess the ending isn't counted).

I'm suprised there isn't a 'Most persistent use of microtransactions' category, populated entirely by EA titles.

Timothy Chang:

Strategy

• Diablo III
    • Great Big War Game
    • Football Manager 2013

Er, what happened here? Did they run out of games for this category and decide to just throw in those two because reasons?

Eduku:

Timothy Chang:

Strategy

• Diablo III
    • Great Big War Game
    • Football Manager 2013

Er, what happened here? Did they run out of games for this category and decide to just throw in those two because reasons?

This combined with the whole COD being in a category for innovative makes me wonder. I'm happy that Dishonored won best game, but now I have to wonder at the legitimacy of it because of crap like this.

Isn't football manager a stats game rather than a strategy game?

Eduku:

Timothy Chang:

Strategy

• Diablo III
    • Great Big War Game
    • Football Manager 2013

I was thinking the same thing, both of these aren't exactly full blown Strategy Titles.

OT: I can't say I disagree with any of the winners, a few of the nominations however don't seem to fit.

Whatever "The Room" is, it got a lot of nomination love. I'm gonna have to go check it out if it stands toe-to-toe with these guys.

Update: Sharing a name with one of the worst movies ever made doesn't help it much. It's an iOS game, so I can't play it. Looks interesting/different. Oh, Gabe absolutely deserves that award for what he did for PC gaming alone. Congratulations.

I think the real surprise here is New Star Soccer winning against Forza Horizon, Trials Evolution and FIFA 13.

Teoes:
    but it's my opinion so there: it all rather smacks of a game awards ceremony by people who don't really know what they're talking about.

I think some of those nominations can be classified as if we put this thing on the list that lobbyist from the publisher will leave us alone, we all know it's not the winner but seriously, that guy just won't shut up.

I didn't like dishonored, I thought it had a really bad and poorly told plot. Plus the gameplay was very easy.

This pleases me greatly, If you'll excuse me I need to go re-order my badges for the day.

XCOM won the strategy award again?

I am pleased.

...myees.

Teoes:

Timothy Chang:
    Game Innovation

As I understand it, they did change the CoD formula ever-so-slightly in Blops2, did they not? Wikiperdia mentions Strike Force Missions that change the campaign a bit? That's not a lot of innovation, but when we weren't expecting any, that has to count for something, I suppose.

I wish I had enjoyed Dishonored as much as everyone else seemed to. It was just so damn boring. Just a dull, lifeless world with nothing and no one interesting in it.

Mcoffey:

Teoes:
    Sneep

As I understand it, they did change the CoD formula ever-so-slightly in Blops2, did they not? Wikiperdia mentions Strike Force Missions that change the campaign a bit? That's not a lot of innovation, but when we weren't expecting any, that has to count for something, I suppose.

I wish I had enjoyed Dishonored as much as everyone else seemed to. It was just so damn boring. Just a dull, lifeless world with nothing and no one interesting in it.

Indeed, mixing up the annual formula the tiniest amount - here's your award nomination! "Round of applause for Captain Ambitious over here"..

As for Dishonored, eh. I had fun with the moment-to-moment gameplay and the world-building was very impressive in its appearance and had potential; however the plot was obvious, writing iffy and voice acting terrible - the NPCs were all so robotic. The game was too short and easy as well.

I always find it surprising that anything can win best of the year without actually doing any good in other categories. You'd think the best designed game with the best multi player, best audio, best music that wins the artistic achievement would be the best game instead of a game that was barely nominated in other categories.

Mikoi:

Eduku:

Timothy Chang:

Strategy

• Diablo III
    • Great Big War Game
    • Football Manager 2013

I was thinking the same thing, both of these aren't exactly full blown Strategy Titles.

OT: I can't say I disagree with any of the winners, a few of the nominations however don't seem to fit.

I suspect it was some hand wringing in the back ground. They probably threw a few perfunctory nominations in there to name drop some of the more popular titles and not seem too highbrow/elitist. I don't think they had any intention of letting those not-so-strategic strategy games actually win. Same with COD:BLOPS2 for innovation.

As for OT: I'm pleased with the winners, and there is nothing at all contentious about them. The BAFTAs certainly aren't the VGAs, that's for sure.

One part of me is mildly amused at a lot of the nominees... but nevertheless I am also happy to see Dishonored, Journey and Walking Dead getting credit where credit is due! (...Also XCOM, although that's more of a love/hate relationship... buggy piece of-).

This seems almost... too right...

...still no Spec Ops. For craps sake, guys. The Walking Dead, XCOM and Journey are great, but... still no Spec Ops?!

Seriously over Walking Dead? I can't agree with this.

While these choices aren't as obnoxious as certain other awards, some of the choices are just baffling to me.

While it's neat that Dishonored got an award I have to ask: Best game of the year? Ehhh I don't know about that. It's good but not THAT good.

Also, Diablo 3 nominated for original music? When much of it's music is heavily derivative of the last game in the series?

Still...Mass Effect didn't win anything, so they can't be all that bad.

I still don't get why people are so infatuated with Journey.

I'm amazed XCOM won a BAFTA over FM13. That right there tells you how well XCOM was received (or, alternatively, how poor this year's FM13 was at launch).

Still amazed and saddened at the same time that Transformers Fall of Cybertron yet again gets nothing.

Dishonored won Game of the Year, XCOM won best strategy game. And yet people only played one or the other because they were released on the same day.

Holy crap a GOTY award that I actually agree with! I don't think this has ever happened before. Congrats Arkane.

And it looks like ME3 didn't win a single thing. Brilliant.

Mcoffey:

Isn't it annoying when that happens? I don't agree with you on Dishonored but I do know how you feel. I'm still trying to figure out WTF was so great, or even just good, about Bioshock. I fired it up again just the other day. I do that once in a while to see if maybe this time I will see the light. Nope! I just fell asleep on the keyboard again.

RealRed05:
    Dishonored won Game of the Year, XCOM won best strategy game. And yet people only played one or the other because they were released on the same day.

Umm what? Because games are only available on launch day and not at all afterwards. It's not like I picked up both in a Christmas sale.. Sorry, I'm not sure what you're driving at?

maninahat:

I suspect it was some hand wringing in the back ground. They probably threw a few perfunctory nominations in there to name drop some of the more popular titles and not seem too highbrow/elitist. I don't think they had any intention of letting those not-so-strategic strategy games actually win. Same with COD:BLOPS2 for innovation.

As for OT: I'm pleased with the winners, and there is nothing at all contentious about them. The BAFTAs certainly aren't the VGAs, that's for sure.

While Black Ops II did have some innovation its no more then any Call of Duty games does. Not to say that they dont they do change a lot they but the core mechanic is always the same.

I am curious though if you were being sarcastic with your on topic post. It seemed to more that half of those awards were given out to pander to the indie crowd rather then give them to games that should have won in those categories.

the winners i can get behing except for journey, i just didnt like it.

But call of duty in innovation and football game in strategy, just what the hell?

still, its better than other awards we get.

Little Gray:

maninahat:

snip

snip

I am curious though if you were being sarcastic with your on topic post. It seemed to more that half of those awards were given out to pander to the indie crowd rather then give them to games that should have won in those categories.

No sarcasm. Journey genuinely deserves to have all those awards, and Walking Dead hands down had the best story and writing of this year. My only disappointment was that Far Cry 3 or Mass Effect 3 didn't get some kind of award for their characters. I guess that only comes under writing (which handicaps both those games). Basically, I felt that this year, the indie titles outshone the AAA stuff in most areas - so did most "Game of the Year" lists, which typically placed Journey and Walking Dead above all else.

Even if the BAFTAs were trying to pander to the indie crowd, that's still better than the VGA's pandering to mass market appeal or the studios themselves.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Register for a free account here