Ubisoft Wants a Wii U Price Cut

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Wants a Wii U Price Cut

Alain Corre, Ubisoft's executive director for EMEA territories, is "optimistic" about the Wii U but thinks a price cut would result in more game sales.

More than three months after its launch, it's safe to say that Nintendo's Wii U console hasn't quite lived up to the sales expectations set by its predecessor. Ubisoft thinks it has the solution to slow Wii U sales: a drop in price. According to Alain Corre, Ubisoft's executive director for EMEA territories, a lower hardware price would lead to more game sales. Responding to Edge's question about whether he'd like to see a price cut, Corre responded, "Always."

"We always want the hardware to be at a low price because we want as many fans as possible to afford to buy our games, so that's for sure," Corre elaborated. Ubisoft has been one of the most prominent third-party publishers on the console, with ZombiU, Rabbids Land, and Just Dance 4 among its Wii U launch games. Delayed platformer Rayman Legends was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive, but Ubisoft recently incensed fans (and its creator) by delaying the game in order to go multiplatform.

This doesn't mean Ubisoft is giving up on the Wii U, though. "We think that Wii U will find its public at some point," Coree said. "Some were expecting sales to be quicker but we are optimistic." Nintendo currently has no plans to cut the price of its hardware.

Source: Edge via Polygon

A price cut AND some new good games from the system would help...a lot.

Although I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't announced a new Super Smash Bros game yet. We all know that game is basically THE console seller (let's be real, you're not going to get people to buy your system with freaking Zombie U or Mario #342536).

Jove:

Although I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't announced a new Super Smash Bros game yet. We all know that game is basically THE console seller (let's be real, you're not going to get people to buy your system with freaking Zombie U or Mario #342536).

They announced a new smash bros game over a year ago.

Why is it nintendo never release great games when they release a new system? Look at the wii, new zelda took forever to come out.

SkarKrow:

Jove:

They did? Where's the trailers? Any links to this? This is news to me :(.

Jove:

SkarKrow:

Jove:

It's for Wii U and 3DS being co-devved with Namco, got no trailers or anything yet though. They can take their time with it though, I'd rater they did that than rushed it. The director guy (name escapse me) has some bad RSI going on so it's hampering it a bit.

I do have a Wii U and Mario Bros U is a damn good game but there's fuck all else going for the system until Lego City later this month sadly. Then a nice big gap until Pikmin 3 and apparently a b unch of stuff in the autumn (Wind Waker HD, SMT x FE, Untitled 3D mario title, etc).

Oh and MH3U but I don't care much for it...

Jove:

SkarKrow:

Jove:

No trailers, just said they were working on it, and they're partnering with Namco Bandai for the game. Reports have been saying they'll probably have something to show at E3.

However, there have been complications.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/masahiro_sakurais_arm_injury_impacts_his_work_on_smash_bros

As for the price drop, there will always be a price cut. The issue is when. I'd take the safe bet that it'd happen either during the summer or right before the holidays. Possibly right before the PS4 launch.

Mr. Omega:

Jove:

SkarKrow:

No trailers, just said they were working on it, and they're partnering with Namco Bandai for the game. Reports have been saying they'll probably have something to show at E3.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/masahiro_sakurais_arm_injury_impacts_his_work_on_smash_bros

As for the price drop, there will always be a price cut. The issue is when. I'd take the safe bet that it'd happen either during the summer or right before the holidays. Possibly right before the PS4 launch.

Price cut right before launch of the competitors systems and some kind of ambassador thing liekw ith the 3DS I'll predict. I think they must have a tonne of stuff lined up for E3 this year, they're gonna need it!

How bout you release some games first, instead of AGAIN STRONGARMING A CONSOLE MAKER. YOU FAT SWINE. First they force the Nextbox and PS4 in our throats with disappointing results and now they wanna do what now? Someone show them their bloody place, FFS.

So it'll be a less expensive paper weight? I think you mean...

Sarah LeBoeuf:
Ubisoft Wants Wii U to make Always Online a requirement

Fixed that for you.

Without worthwhile exclusives flipping over from the wii to the wii U is not very enticing for me yet. A price cut would help things. 350 bucks for the good version of the console that's no better graphically then an Xbox seems a little steep.

Probably upgrade eventually, but the price point has prevented me from just impulse buying and waiting for a title I'd enjoy.

Or, you know, Ubisoft could lower the price of THEIR GAMES, which would make them more likely to be bought. Also, if you made some more games for it as well. I mean, the more games you make for it, the more likely someone will buy it and buy your game.

You know what would have helped Wii U sales Ubisoft?

If you hadn't kicked Rayman Legends from a totally quiet period where people are looking for new games to play, into the single busiest period in the gaming calendar! People aren't going to want to buy a console when publishers keep kicking the release dates back, and leaving empty periods! Especially when the only reason you're doing that is because apparently you don't want to pony up to market the game twice!

Sorry, but Ubisoft have got no cause to complain here. If they'd released Legends on time, it would have provided Wii U owners with a must have title, and no doubt inspired more people to pick it up. As it is, they're going to try and field it alongside GTAV, Watch Dogs and AssCreedIV, and therefore have proven themselves to be completely and utterly stupid.

Seeing articles like this that talk about how critical a price cut is needed makes me wonder if there's more of a growing disparity between what it takes to cover the cost of making hardware vs what we can afford. Like I wonder if we're hitting a price plateau.

Ubisoft wants to cut the prices of their games on the WiiU? Excellent idea!

Oh, wait, you want Nintendo to drop the price of the console itself. Jeez, at least give Nintendo some time to retool and strategize. Everyone had the decency to wait at least two years before asking Sony to do the same thing.

Get your head out of the clouds, Ubisoft. The WiiU isn't just another Gamecube. Nintendo is already taking a loss with every WiiU sold. I wonder if they'll sacrifice even more profits for marketshare.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

If you hadn't kicked Rayman Legends from a totally quiet period where people are looking for new games to play, into the single busiest period in the gaming calendar!

Ouch! Well said, sir. I totally forgot about that fiasco.

I truly believe that sales of the Wii U will pick up in the Spring of this year. By the Fall, sales will be quadrupled.

FizzyIzze:

Ouch! Well said, sir. I totally forgot about that fiasco.

Never forget. Never forget.

EvilChameleon:
I truly believe that sales of the Wii U will pick up in the Spring of this year. By the Fall, sales will be quadrupled.

I'm half convinced that Nintendo is deliberately redoing the 3DS strategy with the Wii U. Keep the heavy hitters out of the first year lineup, and release them around the same time that the competition are trying to get their consoles out of the door. I mean, they're hinting that they're going to be releasing Mario 3D, Mario Kart and Smash Bros for around then.

If you look at how the 3DS launched some of its biggest titles like Mario 3D Land around the same time as the Vita launched, and it seemed to gain a shitload of momentum while Sony's handheld was somewhat lacking in comparison, I can't help but wonder if it's a deliberate gameplan by them. Grab the market's attention with the good stuff right when Sony and Microsoft will be wanting the spotlight, and give gamers a choice between either launch consoles with launch games (always risky) or an established console with heavy hitting games like Mario.

Just a theory...

Maybe sales would be a little better if there were games for the console? Maybe such as... I don't know... Rayman Legends?

Yeah, price cuts are good, but the utter lack of games is probably a deal breaker for potential customers regardless of price.

Mr. Omega:

Jove:

SkarKrow:

They officially announced that Smash Bros will be shown at this years E3 in the form of "screens", now this may mean a full on trailer or just a few screenshots. It will be shown though.

OT: If they do do a price cut I hope they do another ambassador program sort of thing. Still, Ubisoft is being pretty damn stupid by asking Nintendo for a price cut because the console isn't selling well, after pushing back the thing that might have made the console sell well. Hypocrites, I tells ya!

FizzyIzze:
Nintendo is already taking a loss with every WiiU sold. I wonder if they'll sacrifice even more profits for marketshare.

Actually, Nintendo makes a profit on the Wii U if the user buys just one game (this does include the Nintendoland pack-in, I think), so Nintendo are only making losses with people who buy it and... look at the home screen. So when stuff like Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Zelda comes out they definitely won't be making losses.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

If you hadn't kicked Rayman Legends from a totally quiet period where people are looking for new games to play, into the single busiest period in the gaming calendar! People aren't going to want to buy a console when publishers keep kicking the release dates back, and leaving empty periods! Especially when the only reason you're doing that is because apparently you don't want to pony up to market the game twice!

Sorry, but Ubisoft have got no cause to complain here. If they'd released Legends on time, it would have provided Wii U owners with a must have title, and no doubt inspired more people to pick it up. As it is, they're going to try and field it alongside GTAV, Watch Dogs and AssCreedIV, and therefore have proven themselves to be completely and utterly stupid.

This. So much. Ubisoft has no ground to complain because of this single point. Consoles don't sell when games people want to buy are delayed for no reason other than to release it on other systems!

is it just me or is everything seeming to be overly expensive these days with the console hardware? I remember the 90s when I could buy a Super NES for 150 USD, now a good console costs double or more that amount. Even the games got more expensive. =(

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

pretty much this times a thousand

I'm just going to sit in this armchair and stare at ubisoft without blinking

Am I the only one who sees the delicious irony here?
Ubisoft thinks the WiiU needs a price cut to sell. The guys who moved Rayman's release date from March to the fucking busiest part of the year want a price cut to sell their games?
The WiiU would pick some sales up if they released games and the price is fine. It's an expensive console to make, what did they think? Free console?

The WiiU will just now start getting games. So if they launched Raymen before that, everyone who owns a WiiU would think about buying it if nothing, just to waste time until the games they want are released.
A MonHun fan surely won't buy Rayman once he gets MonHun 3 Ultimate. There are also Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Watch Dog, AssCreed 4... all releasing later this year.

But no, they chose to move the release date from a game drought to later when there will be a gazillion popular games released. And then they will blame Nintendo fans for only buying Mario instead of Rayman.

ToastiestZombie:
Actually, Nintendo makes a profit on the Wii U if the user buys just one game (this does include the Nintendoland pack-in, I think), so Nintendo are only making losses with people who buy it and... look at the home screen. So when stuff like Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Zelda comes out they definitely won't be making losses.

Actually they need to sell more than 1 game. That was a mistake Reggie said and Iwata corrected it in a Nintendo Direct. Tho the loss isn't huge, one game won't cover it. I assume it's at least 2 games.

But even if it's just 1 game, Nintendo can't afford to sell at a loss like Sony and MS. They don't have other divisions that can cover the losses and hide them from the investors. They must earn or at least stay at 0 constantly.

Colt47:
is it just me or is everything seeming to be overly expensive these days with the console hardware? I remember the 90s when I could buy a Super NES for 150 USD, now a good console costs double or more that amount. Even the games got more expensive. =(

Games got actually a lot cheaper. Old cartridges were sometimes up to $80. That's around $140 when you adjust to inflation.
$150 is around $260 with inflation. And the SNES wasn't really some hardware powerhouse.

The Wii U will get a price cut late this year.

It's basically going to be $400 PS4 vs $200 Wii U.

BiH-Kira:
Games got actually a lot cheaper. Old cartridges were sometimes up to $80. That's around $140 when you adjust to inflation.
$150 is around $260 with inflation. And the SNES wasn't really some hardware powerhouse.

Only the vary rare title was ever that much. Phantasy Star 4 and Shadow Run at the End of the Genisis life cycle because they didn't make very many copies.

And to anyone foolish enough to use inflation. Try taking a look at wages. They've been flat for nearly 30 years. Your "inflation" is the cost of gas going up eating every disposable penny for other things.

medv4380:

BiH-Kira:

Only the vary rare title was ever that much. Phantasy Star 4 and Shadow Run at the End of the Genisis life cycle because they didn't make very many copies.

And to anyone foolish enough to use inflation. Try taking a look at wages. They've been flat for nearly 30 years. Your "inflation" is the cost of gas going up eating every disposable penny for other things.

Thanks, you beat me to it. The problem is our money is worth a lot less than it used to and as you just said, wages have pretty much remained flat.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Considering the previous Rayman game didn't sell all that well, when compared to other major franchises, your comment makes absolutely no sense.

You say Legends doesn't have the ability to go up against games like GTAV or ACIV, but go on to say it has the power to cause a significant number of people to buy a Wii U, due to that one release?

I highly doubt that many people even care enough for Rayman Legends. Yeah, we get people like you whining about it on forums, but that only represents a fraction of people who buy games.

Ubisoft have every reason to be vocal. They have no alliance with Nintendo, or any console manufacturer for that matter. If a console is selling crap, why should a 3rd party bother making a game an exclusive for it, or release earlier than other platforms, considering there's a lower consumer base, and most other fans will likely buy for other systems?

Ubisoft made the right decision to make Legends multiplatform, and to release all at the same time period.

Terramax:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Considering the previous Rayman game didn't sell all that well, when compared to other major franchises, your comment makes absolutely no sense.

You say Legends doesn't have the ability to go up against games like GTAV or ACIV, but go on to say it has the power to cause a significant number of people to buy a whole new console pretty much for that one release?

I highly doubt that many people even care enough for Rayman Legends. Yeah, we get people like you whining about it on forums, but that only represents a fraction of people who buy games.

Ubisoft have every reason to be vocal. They have no alliance with Nintendo, or any console manufacturer for that matter. If a console is selling crap, why should a 3rd party bother making a game an exclusive for it, or release earlier than other platforms, considering there's a lower consumer base, and most other fans will likely buy for other systems?

Ubisoft made the right decision to make Legends multiplatform, and to release all at the same time period.

Terramax:

The original Rayman Origins was released in November 2011, alongside Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, Assassins Creed Revelations, and Battlefield 3. No wonder it didn't sell well, it was going up against the biggest blockbusters in half a decade of gaming. When games like that are coming out, no-one's going to spend money on a 2D platformer, no matter how good it is, unless Mario is in it.

Legends has been moved to September. You know what else is coming out in September? GTA fucking V! One of the biggest sequels in the history of the medium. In the same period, Ubisoft are going to be releasing the new Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed, Activision will have the latest COD game getting ready to be released, EA will likely have a ew Battlefield getting ready to ship, and Nintendo are going to have some of their biggest holiday titles getting ready to be released. Wind Waker HD has already been announced, and E3 is likely to bring announcements of new Mario and Smash Bros.

The Q4 release period is recognised as the most insane do-or-die period in the entire calendar. It already nearly killed Rayman Origins when it was first released. The same thing is going to kill Legends, because Ubisoft are too stupid to see when they're repeating a stupid behaviour.

You say Legends doesn't have the ability to go up against games like GTAV or ACIV, but go on to say it has the power to cause a significant number of people to buy a Wii U, due to that one release?

1) Nintendo consoles owners are generally more inclined to pick up platformers than other consoles which tend to focus on FPS and action games. Chalk it up to Mario's influence, but Rayman Origins sold most for the Wii. Nintendo owners buy platformers. The same is not as true for other platform owners.

2) Rayman Legends was due to be released in a period where not much else was coming out for the Wii U, meaning that Wii U owners would be less divided amongst potential games to buy, and more likely to pick it up en masse. Moreover, as a game that's all but guaranteed to be brilliant, it would have been one of the Wii U's first real killer apps, providing gamers with a high quality game to get the console for, to tide them over until the likes of Pikmin and Wonderful 101.

If you're trying to turn a niche game into a breakout hit, then there is no better time to do so than the quiet periods during a console's launch, when people are desperate for games. That's what made Gears a hit, that's what made Uncharted a hit, and that could have made Legends a hit. But Ubisoft have fucked that one right up.

Do you have any idea how much acclaim Rayman Origins got? Or how much of a sleeper hit it became once it got a price cut and people weren't focusing on the triple-A games any more? Or how much effort Nintendo went into making Legends one of the system sellers for the Wii U? When they were showing off the Wii U at trade shows, Rayman Legends was one of the games they were showing off. When they sent out demo units to retailers, Rayman Legends was one of the key games they wanted consumers to try at the shop floor.

Why? Go play the demo. It's fucking genius. Rarely, if ever, has a platformer managed to combine rhythm and platforming with such applomb. Michel Ancel and his team look to have done the impossible, and made a platformer that's better than Origins. That had a lot of gamers excited.

And this is not a niche thing. When news sites broke the news of the delay, articles were flooded by angry responses. Ubisoft's own facebook page was spammed with angry comment after angry comment. Ubisoft pissed off a genuinely large group of people, and they did that to achieve absolutely nothing.

Ubisoft have every reason to be vocal. They have no alliance with Nintendo, or any console manufacturer for that matter.

Except they did. Nintendo willingly used Legends as one of the games to sell the Wii U. They gave Ubisoft the limelight, and let them have one of their own games on the demo units, tradeshow units and convention units all around the world. Prior ro the delay, Ubisoft's developers were quite clear in saying how this was something developed from the ground up for the Wii U, and it simply wouldn't work on other consoles. Ubisoft and Nintendo were very much in bed together, but then Ubisoft got frigid and slapped Nintendo on the dick.

If a console is selling crap, why should a 3rd party bother making a game an exclusive for it, or release earlier than other platforms, considering there's a lower consumer base, and most other fans will likely buy for other systems?

It's a console launch! Expecting a console to have the same market reach after 3 months as the other two consoles after 7 years is beyond stupid! If they weren't aware of that, then they shouldn't have promised it as a launch title in the first place.

No they didn't. Even the developers of the game itself are pissed. They spent the last 6 months doing overtime, working away to get the game ready to ship for February, only to be told at the last minute that all that work was for nothing, and they're going to have to put in extra overtime over the next six months to make the game multiplatform, and to develop a bunch of extra content.

Ubisoft didn't just shit on the fans, they shat on their own developers.

They are currently sitting on a complete game. The Wii U version was ready to go. If Ubisoft wants to make it multiplatform, whatever, but the Wii U version was done! It was finished! Ubisoft has no reason at all to sit on a game that is done, when gamers right now are willing to part with cash for it right now. Rule number 1 of business- you don't sit on something you've completed when people are willing to buy it. You get it out there, and you capitalise on that interest!

Will people who want the game now be willing to buy it in September, when Watchdogs, GTAV, COD, BF4, Wind Waker HD and all those other titles are also looking to take their cash? No. Of course not. Rayman Legends went from potentially being the biggest game release on a console for the entire month, to a small fish in a pool surrounded by sharks.

Go read up on what happened to Origins. Ubisoft is pulling the same shit now, and it's beyond stupid, it's downright tragic. Again, the fans and their own developers are getting shat on here.

I dunno...I don't think the price is terrible but what would really move some consoles would be more software. Checking out the gameFAQ's page it looks like a good amount is in production but how many of those games were sold last year on other platforms? It seems like January and, February were wasted to me. The only game that I recall being released in the last two months was the digital exclusive Fist of the North Star 2 (additionally, other digital games were released apparently). I'm still really pissed Ken's Rage 2 (fist of the north star) was digital only...I would have gladly bought that on day one but no digital download is worth $60 to me.

Of course Ubisoft has nothing to do with that particular game.

---

I noticed some talk of Rayman Legends...If Ubisoft is so concerned about moving more Wii U's they shot that ambition in the foot when they decided to make Rayman Legends multiplatform. They could have released that puppy in February or January on the U and while it may not have made a significant blip it would have definitely sold. It's the games that sell consoles after all, especially the exclusive ones.

Nintendo doesn't do price cuts unless the CPA's (Cost Benefit Analysis) show that they will benefit drastically from them. I mean, how long was it til the Wii price drop, 4 or 5 years, something like that?

yes. pleae yes. i want the ability to buy this thing without having to sacrifice eating for the next month. and to be fair. ubisoft does stand for the best games on the WiiU so they are probably the best company to suggest this (if not Nintendo itself offcorse). At this point, buying a wiiU actually sound more tempting than a ps4. the wiiU have some special games designed spesially for it while i can get the games i want for ps4 on either steam or ps3.

The system is just not worth it, I'm not sure why anyone is buying into the hype. Okay it has an interesting controller but the system is similarly powered to other devices and other devices simply have more to offer: Larger libraries, far more HDD space, cross play titles, better versions of the same games. I mean in 2006 the 360 came with 20 GB of space and the PS3 80, the WiiU in 2012 has ...8 or 32. Every port to the WiiU runs or looks worse than other versions and costs more. What part of this sounds like it's a good thing to buy?

To put it simply, there's a lot more value/options in other choices and the WiiU just doesn't have anything that shines that makes the system worth having vs the alternatives.

The fact the WiiU sold as well as it did is surprising to me, I guess the Nintendo fan crowd is that 'loyal'.

pot is calling out a kettle? its not like ubisoft is known for fair pricing to begin with.
The the WiiU is like a bastard child, not excessively retarded enough to cater to the crowd that Wii did, not powerful enough to cater to the rest of gamers and no exclusives for the blind fanboys to buy it up either yet.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here