Thousands Sign Petition Demanding Removal of SimCity DRM

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Thousands Sign Petition Demanding Removal of SimCity DRM

As the SimCity Gong Show stumbles ever onward, a petition demanding the withdrawal of always-on DRM is burning its way to the top of Change.org.

You may have heard rumblings that not all is entirely well with the launch of SimCity. The game is actually quite good when it works, by all reports, but the trouble is that it often doesn't work because - you guessed it - it relies on full-time connections to remote servers. And, as has happened with pretty much every other server-dependent game release in history, it was, and is, a disaster.

And with all the predictability of the launch mess itself comes - you guessed it! - an outraged petition demanding the end of always-on DRM. "When I, And millions of other people, buy a game that has a single-player experience. We expect it to work regardless of our connectivity to the internet, or quality of our connection. EA has made this impossible, so many people with an unstable connection will not even be able to play the game in the first place, let alone anyone who wants to play on the go/with no internet connection," it says. And then, the simple demand: "Remove 'Always Online' DRM from SimCity and future games."

Internet petitions are a dime a dozen, but this one is attracting an awful lot of attention. Just one day after going public, it has already pulled in more than 34,000 signatures, and that number just keeps on climbing. Whether it's driven by the particular ugliness of this specific launch or the cumulative effect of one always-on circus after another, SimCity fans, and presumably gamers in general, are speaking up in numbers. It won't change a thing, of course, but it might make people feel a little while they wait for the servers to unclog.

Source: Change.org

Nonsense. Gamers are embracing not being able to play their game and the always-on DRM that causes it to happen.

As much as I don't like the always-on DRM, I highly doubt it would even be possible to remove it at this point. It seems like they've made it so that it actually relies on their servers for calculations. I Don't see them completely redesigning how their game works.

However this petition is still important. If it can get a hundred thousand or maybe even more signatures, it dispels the myth that the people who are unhappy with this sort of thing are just a vocal minority. Perhaps it might kill this business model entirely. One can only hope.

I hope this pulls through, my internet has been fickle lately and has been crashing at random, so I wouldn't be able to play the game without being pushed out of it. DRM is the bane of gaming, but even more so with a pretty bad internet connection.

Also, about the multiplayer part, I don't know any friends who would play SimCity with me, most of my friends in town don't play Simcity games and I am not sure if any of my friends on this site are getting it.

Some games I like to just play by myself, SimCity is one of them.

I thought all of the important data is stored server-side to force the player to be connected to play. If that is the case then it will be impossible remove it as it is an integral part of the game.

Still a shitty thing to do, and the only people who have been hurt by the DRM are the people who have shown brand loyalty with day one purchases and pre-orders.

Speaking of Sim City, I might re-install Sim City 4 actually!

The problem is that the cities are stored on the server... This is like saying 'make an MMO work offline'.

It's not a case of removing a check in a launch program, it's a redevelopment of the game. So i don't think this is going to happen. It would be good if it did, but i doubt it will.

Well its too late for simcity but hopefully this will make EA think twice next time, probably not but we can hope.

This won't work, it relies on the massive assumption that EA cares about what their customers think.

Legion:
Nonsense. Gamers are embracing not being able to play their game and the always-on DRM that causes it to happen.

I know, right? This is a fantastic game worth every penny!

EA has their money now, the foolish fools. Too bad people didn't see this coming, or just had such blind loyality toward a game series that they ignored history. So, there's only one recourse. Make such a big stink that it becomes a PR nightmare for EA. To the point where normal news sites are covering it.

Hey, it worked for Mass Effect 3, to a degree.

Legion:

I see what you did there.

OT: I signed this petition even though I didn't buy Sim City and will not buy any game that depends on Origin, because I agree strongly in the principle behind the petition and I want this shady practice to stop.

VanQ:

Legion:

If only it had a real money auction house.

Suckers. I can't play SimCity either, and I didn't have to pay a dime.

DVS BSTrD:

VanQ:

Legion:

They do! But you require a $10 day one DLC and a digital key only available if you buy the game new and not preowned to access it!

DVS BSTrD:

VanQ:

Legion:

ah! I KNEW there was something missing! Let's face it, without a Real Money™ auction house a game just isn't complete.

It's debatable how much of an effect all of this disaster is going to have on EA or DRM in general, but at least it's well publicized so maybe this will be on people's minds the next time a game comes out with what people feel to be intrusive DRM.

Personally I don't care about the always on or the DRM, but I do care about being able to actually play the game. Generally speaking if I'm going to buy a game I'm going to buy it right when it comes out because I'm excited to play it. Now if I have to temper my excitement and wait an extra week to buy a game so that the publisher can work out their play-ability issues before I plop down my money, I may just mentally move on from the product and decide not to buy it after all. There have been several games in the past that I was going to get, but something came up and I put it off, and still haven't purchased.

Point is, I'm an eager customer looking to throw money at the computer so that I can download games the instant they come out, but burn me enough times and I'll stop wanting to get burned. SimCity has instilled it in my mind that if the game is being published by EA, there will be issues, it doesn't mean I won't buy games from them, but I will think about it more. Which is not a good thing when you have an irrational motivation to spend money.

Thing is, DRM isn't really at fault here, its the shoddy unprepared server infrastructure they set up which is failing. Im not really that fussed with DRM and while I can see the arguments against having it in predominately a single player game, I also respect the need to try and protect the games from piracy.

Had the infrastructure been better organised (and, you know, perhaps listened to the issues raised during the beta), people might have been a bit more accepting of the DRM in this instance.

What they're asking for is simply impossible, the Always On Element is built into the game at every level.

Buyer Beware.

If these people are so pissed off about it, why did they buy it? It's not like DRM is something new and confusing, we've been dealing with this for years. If you don't like it, don't buy it. They'll notice poor sales before they notice a petition.

Judging by what we know about how Sim City handles its processes I'd say it is impossible to remove the DRM without a complete redesign of most of the game. It is a shame such a promising addition to the series has been spoiled by the DRM scheme. Hopefully publishers will start listening to customer concerns before they release traditionally single player games with always on schemes.

Yea, I don't get it. I kinda wanted to play the game, but saw the mess they were getting into with always-on drm on a game I would never want to play multiplayer, and just didn't buy it. What did people think was going to happen?

I mean granted, I can't imagine anyone was thinking, "ask for a refund = ban" but they couldn't have thought it was going to lead to anything good.

CriticalMiss:
This won't work, it relies on the massive assumption that EA cares about what their customers think.

Customers = money

A massive petition showing the dissatisfaction with the current DRM model will at least cause some people to conclude that in future, such a model will result in more lost sales than would result from simple pirating.

I'm not saying it'll happen anytime soon, but eventually someone is going to get the message.

Oh, and yea, to what everyone else is saying about the game being unplayable offline without a complete overhaul, yes, that's true. If you want to see it in action, have a look at some of the vids from Diablo 3 when it was still in beta. Some people had hacked "servers" but those servers just allowed them to manually spawn enemies who then just stood there, do some leveling, and item drops just to see what things looked like. Anything AI-controlled had to either be done manually or just did not work without back-end AI.

If they were that annoyed about this, why buy the game and then petition?

Now that EA have their money, they won't give two shits about some petition, I would think.

I doubt that's even possible by this point (and even if it was, since when was the last time anyone gave a crap about petitions?)

Ilikemilkshake:
As much as I don't like the always-on DRM, I highly doubt it would even be possible to remove it at this point. It seems like they've made it so that it actually relies on their servers for calculations. I Don't see them completely redesigning how their game works.

However this petition is still important. If it can get a hundred thousand or maybe even more signatures, it dispels the myth that the people who are unhappy with this sort of thing are just a vocal minority. Perhaps it might kill this business model entirely. One can only hope.

TheComfyChair:
The problem is that the cities are stored on the server... This is like saying 'make an MMO work offline'.

It's not a case of removing a check in a launch program, it's a redevelopment of the game. So i don't think this is going to happen. It would be good if it did, but i doubt it will.

TsunamiWombat:
What they're asking for is simply impossible, the Always On Element is built into the game at every level.

Buyer Beware.

I cant believe so many people are so ignorant.

They said the exact same thing about Diablo 3. "Cant make it offline, too much relies on the server!"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/26/diablo-iii-will-play-offline-on-ps3-and-ps4/

oops, that was a lie, just like Sim City.

Desert Punk:

Ilikemilkshake:

TheComfyChair:

TsunamiWombat:

Buyer Beware.

They said the exact same thing about Diablo 3. "Cant make it offline, too much relies on the server!"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/26/diablo-iii-will-play-offline-on-ps3-and-ps4/

And...once again, it took a complete redesign. So....yea.

Knowing EA, they'd probably just take some guy to look at the petitioner list, sniff them out, then deliver mass-Origin-wide banning.

Come on, guys, are you seriously expecting EA to listen?

Aeshi:
(and even if it was, since when was the last time anyone gave a crap about petitions?)

Kick up enough of a fuss and they'll have to do something about it, just like with Mass Effect.

SonicWaffle:

CriticalMiss:

Customers = money

A massive petition showing the dissatisfaction with the current DRM model will at least cause some people to conclude that in future, such a model will result in more lost sales than would result from simple pirating.

I'm not saying it'll happen anytime soon, but eventually someone is going to get the message.

But you are using logic, something that eludes EA executives. Always online DRM isn't new, people have been saying how much they dislike it for a while. It's no secret. And happy customers = more money.

Desert Punk:

I'm pretty sure they're basically rebuilding the entire game from the ground up for the PS3 version (especially since the PS3 has far less in common with a PC than say, a 360, does), or are you suggesting EA should spend god-knows how many millions/years to re-develop one feature at the behest of a tiny fraction of the people who bought it?[1]

[1] a good number of whom are probably either mass petitioners, only bitching about it to be cool or trying to blame the fact that they were too stupid to read the system requirements on somebody that isn't them.

CriticalMiss:

SonicWaffle:

CriticalMiss:

Customers = money

But you are using logic, something that eludes EA executives. Always online DRM isn't new, people have been saying how much they dislike it for a while. It's no secret. And happy customers = more money.

No, but this sort of thing is cumulative. There have been complaints before, there are complaints now, there will be complaints in the future. Like I said, don't look for there to be a change soon, but eventually there has to be a change. Most people who whine about this stuff will simply kick up a fuss and then forget it, but some will swear off buying future releases. With each new incident, more people make that choice. We will, in the fullness of time, reach a point where EA actually notices and is forced to take action.

schmulki:

Desert Punk:

Ilikemilkshake:

TheComfyChair:

TsunamiWombat:

Buyer Beware.

And...once again, it took a complete redesign. So....yea.

You mean like Squeenix did with FF14 due to extreme customer dissatisfaction?

You know what works? Not buying Simcity.

No matter how much you like SimC games, no matter how badly it tempts you.

No buts. Just fucking don't.

EA told you ahead of time that it had always on DRM. It was no secret. So, if you bought it and have since become super-mad due to circumstances so foreseeable that they couldn't possibly have been missed by anyone, I hope you're just mad at yourself. Because that's where the blame for this debacle belongs.

Don't weep on a petition after the fact. Just don't buy these games!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here