Electronic Arts Suspends SimCity Marketing - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Legion:
Wow, they really screwed this one up, didn't they?

I find it strange more than anything else. This is not a small company trying to do something big, this is one of the industries largest, and they can't even manage it.

Who the hell tested all of this? Why did they not do it more thoroughly?

The same people who thought Diablo 3 being Online Only was a great idea. Same results too, except even greater than before!

If greatness is relative to the amount of failure that is.

FEichinger:

ohnoitsabear:
The plus side to this mess is that it seems highly unlikely that EA is going to try always-on DRM again anytime soon. The SimCity launch has just been too much of a disaster. Hell, this may even encourage other companies to not do similar things in the future.

We saw how well that worked out with Diablo 3.

yeah but it was less than a year ago that diablo 3 came out, with the way sim city was made and runs it might not have been possible to reverse the decision to have always on drm. it was scrap the whole thing or go ahead and try and not make the same mistakes.

another angle might be they wanted to try it out for themselfs. the big guys need to each make the same mistakes, and see it from the inside, as they would be unwilling to share how badly they have messed up with their competitors. it might not stop any games in the works but it might well stop any new games going into production with this from the start.

FEichinger:

Longstreet:
Man, all these Simcity / EA news messages is like a gift that keeps on giving
Let's see what happens next.

I'm cooking up some popcorn, any takers?

Ah, awesome, I'll have a bag!

Here ya go!

Anyway, like Dax said, Origin does keep begging you to buy the game. Guess Ea rules / demand only apply to everyone else but EA?

has ANYONE that roams around this forum been able to actually play?

You know how the lead guy from the A-Team says he loves it when a plan comes together? Well I love it when I get to watch a plan implode in on itself like a house of cards held together by globs of shit. Fingers crossed they shit-can the launch and release it again in a few months sans servers; and maybe fire the people who ever thought this was a good idea.

rodneyy:

FEichinger:

ohnoitsabear:
The plus side to this mess is that it seems highly unlikely that EA is going to try always-on DRM again anytime soon. The SimCity launch has just been too much of a disaster. Hell, this may even encourage other companies to not do similar things in the future.

We saw how well that worked out with Diablo 3.

yeah but it was less than a year ago that diablo 3 came out, with the way sim city was made and runs it might not have been possible to reverse the decision to have always on drm. it was scrap the whole thing or go ahead and try and not make the same mistakes.

another angle might be they wanted to try it out for themselfs. the big guys need to each make the same mistakes, and see it from the inside, as they would be unwilling to share how badly they have messed up with their competitors. it might not stop any games in the works but it might well stop any new games going into production with this from the start.

EA had the opportunity to delay the game release, if the retail version wasn't shipped yet.
EA also had the opportunity to stock up on infrastructure prior to release.
And finally, EA had the opportunity to give their existing infrastructure a stress test - and evaluate interest - during an actual beta.

Neither of which they successfully did, even though they had enough of a warning in advance thanks to the Diablo 3 debacle. There is no excuse for this failure.

Cecilo:
What refund. EA is refusing any and all refunds.

They can't in most places outside of the US.

"Listen, we've been running some projections and have decided it's no longer in our best interests to market the game."
"What?! How can that be?!"
"Well, according to the server stats, we've already sold as many copies than there are people who exist on the planet, so it would be physically impossible to sell even more copies than that."
"LETS KEEP TRYING, THE SERVERS CAN TAKE IT."

direkiller:

Cecilo:

The fact that they only do it in countries they are legally obliged to do it and not in nations where they can get away with not doing it does them no credit.

It's also a sign that consumer laws in the United States are a joke.

Legion:
Who the hell tested all of this?

The customers.

Abomination:

direkiller:

Cecilo:

The fact that they only do it in countries they are legally obliged to do it and not in nations where they can get away with not doing it does them no credit.

It's also a sign that consumer laws in the United States are a joke.

What consumer laws? The only ones I know about that exist over there is the right for companies to screw you over and rip you off in every way possible.

OT:
Man; this launch keeps going from disaster to disaster! Can EA recover from this one or have they finally [REDACTED] up where nobody has [REDACTED] up before? Find out on the next episode of 'When DRM Goes Bad!'

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! STOP SELLING OUR GAMES!!!

We can't handle it anymore! It's a disaster! We fried 7 server farms already just trying to handle all the login attempts! Please stop buying our game! We beg you."

You know things are FUBAR when EA takes steps to prevent more game sales.

Karathos:
It's like people have never been part of a release-day server fuckup in a game. Honestly, people being up in arms about this is so 2002. If you care that much, get a refund. Otherwise, have some patience and wait it out.

Other than that: Bla bla bla, EA hate, bla.

Guess we should just accept it and move on. Also yes getting a refund from EA would be nice. Next I am going to ride my purple unicorn of into lala land where you are apparently permanently residing :D

EA refunds. Ha! They refuse to offer refunds because the current situation is "not exceptional" enough to qualify.

Man this train wreck keeps on getting better and better, I wonder if EA will actually learn something from this?
I'll take some of that popcorn too please.

ZZoMBiE13:
This is like watching a slow motion trainwreck unfold. Only it's worse because I actually bought the game and am one of the idiots who's trapped in the trainwreck.

Game's playable at Australian peak time, so... we don't care anymore and are having fun :)

To be fair EA needed this, i'm not going to hate on them it's a company that makes money. Anyway EA had become complacent over it's abilities to 'churn' out games. It thought it had unlimited resources and the capacity to sell anything. Turns out it doesn't and the community at large is ripping it a new one.

Is Sim City a good game in its self? I wouldn't know I haven't played it but considering the questionable business practices of EA has employing over the past few years. It seems to have made the slide to shareholder friendly firm with total focus on draining as much from the customer as possible. Sim City is the epitome of what EA has become, maybe now is the time to rethink its strategy.

Say what you will about Halo, at least Bungie/Microsoft said "Okay, we need to test our servers and make absolutely sure they work."

Here, it's not even attempted.

I think the greatest crime here is that SimCity is supposedly REALLY GOOD when, you know, you can actually play it.

But I'm not willing on spending $73 USD to buy the damn thing in New Zealand and I am not comfortable in voting with my wallet for a product that has an always online requirement.

This has got to be the most entrainment I've gotten from a game I never bought.

The Philistine:
This has got to be the most entrainment I've gotten from a game I never bought.

Seconded. Hooray for schadenfreude. Especially after that argument I had with a coworker about whether or not always-on DRM can piss right off--my position is that yes, it actually can, and the sooner the better. I assume that, by now, he's beginning to reconsider his position on the matter.

So that would be the third disaster in a few months, did this one sell or are more people unemployed now because of EA?

kyoodle:
So that would be the third disaster in a few months, did this one sell or are more people unemployed now because of EA?

The servers had issues from too much of a strain. This means that there was a ton of users connecting, for else the servers wouldn't have had issues. This means that a ton of people bought it, for else they wouldn't be users.

EA does not process refunds. This means that there will be no retracted sales, for else a refund would indeed be processed.

Conclusion: The game did sell very well, for else there wouldn't have been a ton of people who bought it while no sales are retracted.

-- Please note, I'm speaking in hyperboles here. EA apparently does offer some refunds and EA probably didn't even calculate how many users they'd have to anticipate to break even ... Soo ... yeh, in practice, this logic doesn't work out, but it's a nice theoretical construct.

TL;DR: People will probably still lose their jobs because EA likes to blame devs and customers rather than themselves, but the game sold well.

kyoodle:

If it didn't sell the servers would've been fine, I think their jobs are pretty safe

kyoodle:

The only person who will be fired is the hamster that powers their SimCity servers.

EA like money but money does not liek EA? This sentance makes little sense but neither does EA's inability to predict demand for this game... but think how much money they're loosing/missing out on every second :P its gleefully amusing to consider.

Longstreet:
Man, all these Simcity / EA news messages is like a gift that keeps on giving
Let's see what happens next.

I'm cooking up some popcorn, any takers?

My guess is, a massive glitch rears it's ugly head X number of days that stops the game recognising peoples legit online passes (I've not really looked into this, but it's an EA game, there's got to be an online pass right?) meaning none of them can actually play the game anymore. EAs attempts to fix the issue ends up destroying the multiverse.

I'd say this is funny, but I was a real big Sim City fan back in the day, so it's also kind of sad to see, in a way.

"You can't play the game we sold you, because we are incapable of sustaining the system we put in place to keep people from playing our game without buying it."

Can anyone still argue that always-online isn't a really, really bad idea?

This just goes to show em better to be over prepared then under the losses are much less worse in the long run.

What a mess! Looks like Aliens lucked out in that now this has everyone's attention.

Rule #1 of picking up online multiplayer focused games: DO NOT PICK UP ON LAUNCH DAY!

Actually, I'm kinda waiting to get my new PC though. My laptop can run it, but it'll look like ass so there's that.

UPDATE: We contacted EA and were told that the company would not be commenting on the situation.

...Quite possibly the smartest thing an EA rep has said to the public in ages...

WouldYouKindly:
Rule #1 of picking up online multiplayer focused games: DO NOT PICK UP ON LAUNCH DAY!

Actually, I'm kinda waiting to get my new PC though. My laptop can run it, but it'll look like ass so there's that.

Don't pick up the game at all. If you buy this game, you are part of the problem.

Just say no to bullshit DRM.

Ickabod:
I'm actually getting a bit of entertainment out of this trainwreck. Considering that I spend $60 on the game, it does help offset that expense.

Tune in next week when Starcraft 2 blows up the internet too.

I wonder if Blizzard learned anything from the Diablo3 launch? I'm sure there will be plenty of hilarity over on the Blizzard forums, if it's anything like the D3 launch.

ouch...it's gotta be hurting to have to say all that lol

Some funny person made this steam sale spoof.

http://postimage.org/image/v296imhuv/

IrateDonnie:

Ickabod:
I'm actually getting a bit of entertainment out of this trainwreck. Considering that I spend $60 on the game, it does help offset that expense.

Tune in next week when Starcraft 2 blows up the internet too.

I wonder if Blizzard learned anything from the Diablo3 launch? I'm sure there will be plenty of hilarity over on the Blizzard forums, if it's anything like the D3 launch.

Considering this pretty much happens to blizzard with every single wow expansion and several large patches/events I doubt they have learned anything other then you will never be prepared for the demand.

You'd think someone at EA would have seen what happened when Diablo III launched, and taken steps to make sure that didn't happen with their game...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here