Danes Mistake Assassin's Creed Screenshot For Modern Syria

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Danes Mistake Assassin's Creed Screenshot For Modern Syria

Damascus is a beautiful city, but Assassin's Creed isn't a true representation of its current state.

A Danish television channel managed to mistake an Assassin's Creed screenshot for modern day Syria, and used it in a news broadcast. When social media channels began questioning its source material, head of news Jacob Nybroe swiftly apologised for the error.

The full piece, about the threat posed to Syria's cultural treasures by the ongoing violence in that country, can be seen over here. The screen's about 17 seconds in; apparently someone working for the channel, in need of a quick screen grab, used it without checking its origin. Damascus is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world, and can be very picturesque; but perhaps not quite that picturesque.

Nybroe described the incident as a terrible mistake, and "reminder to us all of the importance of verifying the sources of pictures."

Source: Times of Israel

Slow news today eh?At least he got the location right, and I don't want my fantasy to be broken,I'd like to imagine that you can still find something similar in today's Damascus,even if "a bit" more colorful ^_^

What is sad is this kind of thing isn't even that rare. The two major British broadcasters have each done something similar, as well as many major US news networks.

I mean seriously, it takes two minutes to verify this kind of thing and make sure the images used are legitimate, how hard can it be to have some journalistic integrity.

Stop! Stop! We have run out of Virgins Real footage!

"If you use Google Image Search, you will die from Google Image Search"
G. Stark

Tokyo is supposed to be very nice this time of year, as well.

This kinda reminds me of that one time, I think it was Fox news or BBC, where they thought a video from ARMA II was from an actual soldier's helmet cam. That shit was funny. Like the others said though, this shit's easy to verify.

hahahahaha!

Imagine if you could see Altiar at the top of one of those towers!

an annoyed writer:
This kinda reminds me of that one time, I think it was Fox news or BBC, where they thought a video from ARMA II was from an actual soldier's helmet cam. That shit was funny. Like the others said though, this shit's easy to verify.

ITV actually http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15082177

they make a convincing argument why video games are evil, look how easy those thing are to confuse with the real world.

DVS BSTrD:
Stop! Stop! We have run out of Virgins Real footage!

you can never run out of virgins...

NEVER ME SAY!

Somethingfake:

an annoyed writer:

ITV actually http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15082177

Ah, thank you. Thought it was a higher-profile network.

Seems kind of insulting to Syrians that whoever found that picture didn't think "Hmm, this does seem to be a bit too... tan."

And lazy reporting marches on! Though I think the AC team was quite flattered to hear that their work was mistaken for the real deal.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Seems kind of insulting to Syrians that whoever found that picture didn't think "Hmm, this does seem to be a bit too... tan."

"And everything seems so... not on fire. What gives?

So does this say more about the realism of video game graphics, or the stupidity of news stations?

Chessrook44:
So does this say more about the realism of video game graphics, or the stupidity of news stations?

The latter I'd say. Or one could go a step further and point out that these people have a disturbing lack of capability in separating between reality and fiction if these kinds of stories are anything to go by. Either way this gives me more fuel to use when I poke fun at my danish friend.

ya hear that?
that's the Ubisoft design team high-fiving eachother!

Karloff:

Nybroe described the incident as a terrible mistake, and "reminder to us all of the importance of verifying the sources of pictures."

What it really is is a lesson to have some care in one's work and not be sloppy, in general.

They should totally have covered it up by saying they were videogamers and it was a bit of an in-joke they put up to see if anyone outside the videogame-loop would really notice :P

can you imagine the amount of cred they would have gained on the internets.

putowtin:
hahahahaha!

Imagine if you could see Altiar at the top of one of those towers!

It would be funny if it was a video and in the distance is some dude in white stabbing motherfuckers.

"Modern day Syria!"

Just like that ARMA II incident huh?

Someone's getting fired!~

Facts are optional these days when it comes to the media.

Yay news about my country, even if it's stupid news it's good!

They should of noticed that this isn't modern day Syria from the suspicious lack of cars, modern building designs and bullet-ridden corpses littering the streets.

its not lazy reporting or a lack of journalistic integrity it was a simple mistake brought on by the fact most news services now dont actually have dedicated research services to do fact checking, etc thanks to the net. people make mistakes and sometimes they just slip through when people arent familiar with thing or even if they are busy or tired. in this case its just a stock image they needed and not something specific so i can see why they didnt do any checking on it

I, for one, think it's really cool that graphics have advanced enough that this sort of thing can happen. I mean, it's not like the New York of Deus Ex would get confused for the actual New York.

That would make sight-seeing in Damascus a whole new experience - randomly walking down a side-street when someone dressed in white jumps headlong into a cart of hay off a very high up perch... only to keeps going and plow straight out the bottom, or walking through the market and seeing a similarly dressed person push people out of the way, stumble, and then pick themselves up and keep on going, followed closely by a troop of angry guardsmen, in a manner somewhat akin to Benny Hill; aah yes, I hear Syria is lovely this time of year...

Legion:
What is sad is this kind of thing isn't even that rare. The two major British broadcasters have each done something similar, as well as many major US news networks.

I mean seriously, it takes two minutes to verify this kind of thing and make sure the images used are legitimate, how hard can it be to have some journalistic integrity.

want to hear something funny?

Fox news ran a story about violent videogames, shocking I know, but the lady was going on and on about how players can kill mass numbers of virtual people and help train them to commit real life acts of violence.

the funny part? the video that was playing while she was talking was of a player using his car to move the van from that one mission in GTA III.

no shooting, no killing, just trying to force the AI into a better path.

so it isn't just pictures, evidently Youtube can be a bitch to use for Journalists.

DVS BSTrD:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

"And everything seems so... not on fire. What gives?

Give it time. (smoke in the distance) There you go.

On Topic: You'd think it would be fairly easy to tell the difference between videogames and reality, but I suppose news sources always try to argue otherwise.

Didn't something like this happen recently with some sort of military-type logo from the Halo series?

Combustion Kevin:
ya hear that?
that's the Ubisoft design team high-fiving eachother!

This actually happened: https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/311160320129392640

Legion:

Like when the BBC thought the UNSC was an actual military branch? :D

Binnsyboy:

Legion:

Like when the BBC thought the UNSC was an actual military branch? :D

That one has to be my favourite.

Although the most idiotic goes to this one.

I mean, wow.

I liked the case of the mech on that one test the most.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here