Dad Switches Mario For Pauline To Please Daughter

The course of true love never did run smooth; watch out for those flaming onions, Pauline.

One daughter's love for Donkey Kong inspired her dad to do a little benevolent modding, and the result is a tale of true love between a plumber and Pauline. Except that this time it's Pauline out to save her little Italian buddy, and not the other way around.

"My three year old daughter and I play a lot of old games together," says the dad, Mike Mika, who works for Other Ocean. "Her favorite is Donkey Kong," he adds, and that's where the trouble started, as that particular game doesn't let you play as Pauline. Little Mika wasn't happy about that - after all, she could play as the Princess in other games - and that inspired her dad's midnight modding of the 2010 NES edition.

The hardest part, according to Mika, was the animation. "The technical aspect of the mod wasn't too challenging, it was animating blind," he says, "also, what should Pauline look like when moving?" But once these challenges were overcome, the rest was a snap. A downloadable Pauline patch is available via the YouTube video, should you wish to play the Mika version, though you will need the original ROM and XDELTA to use it.

Source: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition

Shouldn't that be:

Kinda misleading as to what the article is actually about.

OT: Take THAT Snarkeesian! :P

I thought this was really cute. What a dedicated dad! (Try Commander Keene next)

lol, I did something just like this for an assignment piece, though my version had different levels (and was coded in the program/language we were learning at the time). The concept for mine though was that pauline just decided to rescue her damn self after jumpman took to long :P

probably inspired by all the fruitless attempts to make it to the top that i went through when i was younger XD

I love stuff like this, just beautiful.
Another dad of the year right here, give it to him now.

Is this the same father that edited Wind Waker to make Link a girl?

I remember them complaining about that (for whatever asinine reason) on the radio show "What The Fuck?".

Hey look, someone who actually doing something to fight tropes that disadvantage women (albeit in a mod and only for his daughter) instead of just enumerating a list of games that utilise the aforementioned tropes. How lovely.

Hunter85792:
Hey look, someone who actually doing something to fight tropes that disadvantage women (albeit in a mod and only for his daughter) instead of just enumerating a list of games that utilise the aforementioned tropes. How lovely.

Playing as Mario is a disadvantage to women? Is it a disadvantage to men to play as Lightning or Lara Croft?

Well if the dad is used to coding this shouldn't be too difficult I think.
Great dedication thou!

Cute.

Nice to see attitudes changing and things improving albeit in small ways

Another reason I think it's important in this day and age to include female protagonists as an option. Little kids are amazing when it comes to being open about stuff they want.

Why am I getting so much deja vu from this?

Now that's a real Dad. Good job dude.

Nice guy, obviously a caring father. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off before this thread turns into an inevitable sex war.

Hahaha, cute. XD

Another great dad surfaces. :P

Best. Dad. EVER.

In the history of the universe.

Crono1973:

Hunter85792:

Playing as Mario is a disadvantage to women? Is it a disadvantage to men to play as Lightning or Lara Croft?

The difference is in that the men in those games aren't reduced to helpless objects to be rescued or protected from the villain. Unless we count Hope...

BlindTom:
Why am I getting so much deja vu from this?

You remember the Dad changing Link's gender for her daughter too? I didn't know dads were THAT into rule 63...JK.

GG dad. Now start with the dragon's lair. I want my Knight in a bubble dammit.

captcha: runny nose

How did it know?..

midnightdown:

Crono1973:

Hunter85792:

The difference is in that the men in those games aren't reduced to helpless objects to be rescued or protected from the villain. Unless we count Hope...

Seriously, finding sexism in Donkey Kong is just too far our there for me. I guess most of the Mario series is sexist too.

Crono1973:

midnightdown:

Crono1973:

Seriously, finding sexism in Donkey Kong is just too far our there for me. I guess most of the Mario series is sexist too.

I agree, I think most sexism in games these days is a consequence of (flawed) demographics or is accidental, but you gotta admit, the helpless princess thing has been either lazy or misogynistic since it started showing up as a plot point.

Mario being more on the lazy side.

I opened the comments just to see if it would devolve into anti-feminist bullshit. Thanks for not disappointing, Escapist readers.

Nice, makes me think of Ms Pacman for some reason. He should have speed everything up when he did the mod :). (Ms Pacman > Pacman)

Froggy Slayer:
Nice guy, obviously a caring father. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off before this thread turns into an inevitable sex war.

Yea, I'm not entirely sure how or why exactly that is the inevitable reaction to a news piece about a dad modding a NES game for his daughter.

Crono1973:

Hunter85792:

sexism against males in games is disgusting.

we are not all muscle bound meat walls that eat steaks and drive trucks out of steaks, quit objectifying us!

also, yes, I would love to see a mod to make Larry Croft or........ well, fuck Final Fantasy XIII, nothing could make me want to play that game again.

So, wait, what's this about a 2010 NES version of Donkey Kong? Was that some sort of mistake by the author? I know the copyright infomation says 2010 on the video, but was there really a 2010 release of the NES Donkey Kong, or did the dad just change the number when he made the other changes? Because I definitely haven't heard about a 2010 NES Donkey Kong. I know there was a new NES game a couple years back that was inspired by I Wanna Be the Guy, but that's the most recent release I've heard of, and it was far from official.

Cool story either way, that's one dedicated dad.

Owyn_Merrilin:
So, wait, what's this about a 2010 NES version of Donkey Kong? Was that some sort of mistake by the author? I know the copyright infomation says 2010 on the video, but was there really a 2010 release of the NES Donkey Kong, or did the dad just change the number when he made the other changes? Because I definitely haven't heard about a 2010 NES Donkey Kong. I know there was a new NES game a couple years back that was inspired by I Wanna Be the Guy, but that's the most recent release I've heard of, and it was far from official.

The closest thing I could think of is that "Donkey Kong Special Edition" (including the oft-forgotten "pie factory" level) that they were giving away a while back.

McMarbles:

Owyn_Merrilin:

The closest thing I could think of is that "Donkey Kong Special Edition" (including the oft-forgotten "pie factory" level) that they were giving away a while back.

I checked Wikipedia, and I think someone ripped a rom out of the Donkey Kong: Original Edition game that came with the limited edition red Wiis. It was apparently based on the NES version, but had an arcade level cut from the original port, plus a couple of cutscenes, reinstated. Wiki doesn't say, but I'm guessing it's pretty much an official rom hack that the Wii runs with its virtual console emulator. Wouldn't surprise me if there's ways to get at those roms with a hombrew enabled Wii and the right apps.

Heh, since I had watched Wreck-it Ralph last week, now I thinking Pauline had gotten tried of being the damsel in distress and Mario agreed to switched places.

Anyway he's a cool dad for doing that for his daughter.

Mad props to this father going out of his way for his daughter.

It is not that Mario is in-it-self sexist, it is that here is a person who took the time to open erase life long barriers and misunderstandings for his daughter. How many girls plays with dolls, and likes the color pink and play with ponies? It not because females are born this way we taught them to like those things at a young age.

In the long run forcing gender roles only harm children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CU040Hqbas
Here is one wise little girls rant on gender roles.
A Child realizes the harm of forced gender roles better than most politicians.

That's really cool, but now that the "magic" of the trope is gone i'm asking myself, over and over: "why is this big hairy monkey kidnaping that fat little guy again....?"

[bold]Number of times I have refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than me:[/bold]

Zero

[bold]Number of times a three year old girl has refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than her:[/bold]

Once

Which one of us is sexist bigot again?

Why do people forget the time Peach saved Mario by being girly? And with a carnivorous umbrella?

saintdane05:
Why do people forget the time Peach saved Mario by being girly? And with a carnivorous umbrella?

See, that doesn't really count, because A) She had to be empowered by an outside source (the Vibe Scepter), B) Which was powered by emotions, see all the jokes about PMS Peach and Whiny Peach. Mario, at his most base self, still has his jumping and agility. And C) The Vibe Scepter only works in one place in the entire world.

Scarim Coral:
Heh, since I had watched Wreck-it Ralph last week, now I thinking Pauline had gotten tried of being the damsel in distress and Mario agreed to switched places.

Anyway he's a cool dad for doing that for his daughter.

Heh I could also see Mario saying "Sweet, a day off."

OT: Awww isn't that nice, cool dad there.

T_ConX:
[bold]Number of times I have refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than me:[/bold]

Zero

[bold]Number of times a three year old girl has refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than her:[/bold]

Once

Which one of us is sexist bigot again?

You have a point but I don't think the daughter is old enough to understand sexism at 3 years old, it's more a case of the daughter saying I wanna play a girl and a father wanting to make his daughter happy. It's us outside observers who are potentially bringing sexism up by reading far too much into the motivations of this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here