PETA Asks Gamers To Be Kind To Zerglings

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Oh for fuck sake...

And no, Zerglings don't even have feelings, they are bound to a hivemind.

I think PETA is just trolling us at this point.

There's a weird kind of logic behind what they are doing here; their comparison isn't actually a million miles away, like usual.

Sadly, because it's PETA, it's too damn stupid to take away any message other than, 'PETA are completely insane.'

Katatori-kun:
You know, gamers are a fascinating bunch. Let Anita Sarkeesian talk about the roles women play in video games or propose that Far Cry 3 might not be portraying indigenous Pacific Islanders with a sincere, respectful approach, and huge groups of gamers are outraged (to the point that one subset even advocated physical harm on Sarkeesian).

PETA comes in with a protest that doesn't say anything explicitly bad about a video game, and large numbers of gamers might make fun of them for not getting their facts about the back story right but basically don't seem to mind. Never mind that PETA's mission toward animals is deeply hypocritical and that they kill more animals than most cities' animal shelters.

So a lot of gamers must be like single-issue voters. You can approach puppies and kittens with an almost comic book supervillain level of malice, but as long as you do so while giving a wink/nod to gaming culture, you get a pass.

The gaming press really should not even be reporting on this. By giving PETA any attention at all, you are helping them continue to flout the "ethical" that is in their own name and murder (sometimes even illegally murder) animals simply because they are pets, and not born wild.

Since pretty much the last year I got the feeling that the gaming community is rather... interesting in picking their fights.

I would feel offended if a hypocritical organisation like PETA would even start such a campaign with my passion of choice, especially if said organisation is actually commiting horrible things in the real world (like you mentioned: They slaughter animals left in their care and support terrorist organisations). Any association with them is not positive in my eyes. But if someone tries to basically just list some negative tropes in gaming the reaction is just... horrid (or silly, I try to describe it from an outsiders perspective).

It's like the people have no fucking clue about priorities. Or even pattern recognition. It is like any criticsim that goes especially into genderspecific stuff (*cough* Cross Assault) is met with an incredible and irrational hostility.

Sorry for the two posts so close together.

Signa:
Does PETA actually do anything proactive these days, or have they just decided it would be more effective to parody games than to protect the animals they are so attached to? Seriously, go appeal to the furries or something, because gamers aren't having any of this nonsense.

Well yes, they do something proactive to support their cause. Last year alone they killed 89% of the animals left in their care (1647 out of 1843). I am also sure that they financially supported several animal rights terrorist groups.

OOOOOOOkay.... So this extremely intelligent, bent-on-destruction race is supposed to be treated "nicely". Oh PETA you've fallen from being hated as just being ignored, how fucking awful is this?

Dem TETZ... I mean.. Who does not love dem big round TETZ?

JaceArveduin:

cursedseishi:
snip

Kargathia:
snip

Okay, bad word choice. How about we go with "not stupidly volatile to the point of self combustion"?

Yup, they're certainly making headway on that part.

(It really does convey just how bafflingly numbskulled their past headline-grabbing stunts have been, when we rejoice because the latest is merely dumb as bricks.)

Are PETA actively trying to make a mockery of themselves?

TheKasp:

Signa:
Does PETA actually do anything proactive these days, or have they just decided it would be more effective to parody games than to protect the animals they are so attached to? Seriously, go appeal to the furries or something, because gamers aren't having any of this nonsense.

Well yes, they do something proactive to support their cause. Last year alone they killed 89% of the animals left in their care (1647 out of 1843). I am also sure that they financially supported several animal rights terrorist groups.

I love PETA, they so crazy.

OT: I laughed. And found the cartoon zergling cute. Yet this scares me. It scares me that ignorant people might be swayed by the pure insanity that is PETA. It scares me that PETA even exists. The willful ignorance that is common among its members (Just as an example, comparative average ages for domestic cats and wild domestic cats. Comparative average ages for wild animals and domestic animals. Just... Yeah. Fucking hell.) is dangerous.

Tbh I think the reason we are hearing so much about PETA these days is very simple.

We gamers have shown that we are morons. Time and again. The shit we eat, the shit we say. The way we attack things we do not understand. We are bored, we have free time, we are young. All the kind of things groups like PETA want. THAT is why they keep doing "Funny" things. That is why they are trying to recruit us so fucking much. Because we are perfect footsoldiers. Bored enough to read their shit, mostly too ignorant to read any further.

Once we're in enemy territory, as a bushwhackin' guerrilla army, we're gonna be doin' one thing and one thing only... killin' Zerg. Now, I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come down from the goddamn Smoky Mountains, cross five thousand miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily and jump out of a fuckin' air-o-plane to teach the Zerg lessons in humanity. Zerg ain't got no humanity. They're the foot soldiers of a Terran-hatin', mass murderin' maniac and they need to be dee-stroyed.

OT: Nice try PETA, I think you're too far gone to be cute.

Eh, I see no problem with this. Its not like PETA are bashing video games (as per usual) or even StarCraft, they're just using it as a bandwagon to promote themselves.

I still think the organisation is vile and should be deemed illegal for its abhorrent treatment of animals, though.

Y'know before it sounded like PETA wes serious about their debates now however i'm guessing that they're just acting as ignorant as possible in order to generate attention (trolling).

Akichi Daikashima:
If I were to hug a zergling, it would;

Devour me
Digest me
Crap me out
Then using my knowledge, would find everyone I know and devour them too

I would sooner hug a cactus, and hence;

FIREBATS, ASSEMBLE!

Shouldn't that be "To the Batcave"?.. Yeah I know.

OT: Well this seems ironic enough so I am not calling them idiots. But what is the point of all this empty publicity?

LysanderNemoinis:
You know, if we shared reality with the StarCraft universe, forget the Zerg, my first objective would be to send a nuke to PETA headquarters. Not for this, mind you, but for ever other thing they do. And I'd be sure to wrap the missile in fur, just to piss them off before they go boom. ^_^

Nuclear Launch Detected

Headbiter:

Thought the same thing, honestly. I also love how everyone tries to point out the pretentiousness of this campaign by being utterly pretentious in actually explaining what the Zerg are, lorewise. You know, because PETA are the first and only people who portray Zerglings as cute...right? RIGHT?

I guess this reaction stems from the standard black-and-white-perception people have of the world. See, PETA consists of arsemonkeys we grew to at least dislike. Thus, they are supposed to be incapable of doing anything nice, clever, funny or any other positive adjective.

This campaign however IS funny AND comes from PETA...this just can't be right. Quick, point out how Zerg are evil, so the status quo is reestablished in our minds!

Yup. The thing I find really funny about this is people going like "LOL! Dem PETAS sure are idiots! The zerg want your blood, they've killed hundreds of thousands of humans, who wants to hug that?"

That's exactly the point. People's worldviews are so stupidly black and white. Say someone like valve would do this, people would be like "Haha, yeah, valve being valve, hehe" or "That was a little clever". But no, since it's PETA they obviously wants to kill everyone.

No, I don't like PETA like in the slightest, but if you get angry at something like this, you need to rethink your thought process.

wooty:
I know this is probably just a joke after the AC4 "whale wail", but since when did PETA feature so prominantly in game discussions and news?

Shouldn't they be throwing paint over celebrities and bankers instead?

They target the gaming community because they know we will talk about it and make a fuss about it. That in turn may get the attention of larger media outlets leading to greater exposure for PETA. That or they have gone batshit insane. I'm leaning towards the second one of obvious reasons.

CharrHearted:

Pretty much sums up my reaction to this piece of information.

Aaah Peta, getting more and more dumber one step at a time... now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to have me some fried Zerglings. :3

As it does mine. "HA, HA,no."

TheKasp:

Signa:

How appropriate that a group of people bent on KILLING domesticated animals is trying to get people to be nicer to an alien, Borg-like race of animals,isn't it?

Ok Peta, we'll take that bet, but YOU are going to prove to us that they aren't dangerous, by spending a night in the titanium-enforced cage we caught one in. Be sure you don't tread in it's acidic drool!

Actually, Zerglings do NOT have feelings. They are purpose-bred by the Swarm and not the result of natural evolution. As such, any feelings other than killer instincts are long gone, assuming they even have any as they are directly controlled by the Cerebrates / Kerrigan.

So no, they aren't wonderful exotic forms of life - they are an abomination that exists only to murder you, and the only appropriate response is followed by the message "Nuclear launch detected"...

I don't know a single person dumb enough to support PETA. Between their over the top methods of drawing attention to themselves, their hypocrisy, and the fact that they fund domestic terrorists they are a horrible group that everyone knows does more harm than good.

That said this is a very low key and kinda cute. Ignoring the thought that TETZ and they members would be locked in New Folsom Prison and would have no public support. Yes lets make a organization saying lets protect the Swarm that killed billions only a few years ago. Best move the Emperor would have ever made.

Slycne:

Zipa:
What next PETA tells people to hug a Tyranid?

That Lictor just wants to embrace in a friendly hug.

The fact that its saliva will melt your face off is just a sad coincidence.

Aren't the Zerg a hivemind, making it okay for individual Zerg to get killed?

Yes, and whilst we're at it, why don't we give a Reaper a hug? Maybe kiss a Xenomorph? Ask a Darkspawn on a date?

Clearly they are infested.

This is the same game where people will treat marines, i.e. people, as completely expendable and worth sacrificing too. Apparently we should care about the mutant abominations that are Zergs because "animals" and ignore people dieing in mass.

Anyways, PETA trying to drum attention with some stupid campaign rather then doing something useful, move along people nothing to see here.

So I hate PETA and what they do, which is really annoyin because I shoulda be all for a group called People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

I'm reminded of Parks & Recreation and the Reasonablists whenever I think of them. They use the name as a smoke screen to make it seem that if you're attackin them you're attackin a reasonable position when in reality they're batshit insane.

Anyway. Yeah, I hate them and all. However! That poster is fuckin adorable. I love that poster so much I want a wallpaper of it and a gigantic poster of it on the wall of my den.

Edit- Either way I treat my zerglings wonderfully. I just love the sounds the Terrans make as they're torn to shreds by my swarm.

PETA is a terrorist front group; is it really wise to give them attention?

....I actually agree with them on this part...>.> I love da wittle zerglings. *sees a zergling* HUGS! *runs away screaming a second later as it tries to eat me* I JUST WANT TO LOVE YOU!

Seriously though this is..a cute little thing to do. Ultimately harmless, they've done worse and stupider in the past.

Sorry if this has already been posted but I can't help myself

ERMERGERD!!!!! TETZRUSH!!!!!

This is a surprisingly clever and fun campaign to come from the likes of PETA, I approve.

Katatori-kun:

PETA comes in with a protest that doesn't say anything explicitly bad about a video game, and large numbers of gamers might make fun of them for not getting their facts about the back story right but basically don't seem to mind. Never mind that PETA's mission toward animals is deeply hypocritical and that they kill more animals than most cities' animal shelters.

So a lot of gamers must be like single-issue voters. You can approach puppies and kittens with an almost comic book supervillain level of malice, but as long as you do so while giving a wink/nod to gaming culture, you get a pass.

The gaming press really should not even be reporting on this. By giving PETA any attention at all, you are helping them continue to flout the "ethical" that is in their own name and murder (sometimes even illegally murder) animals simply because they are pets, and not born wild.

Yeah, it's ironic, isn't it? PETA is easily, in the grand scheme of things, a force that is incredibly damaging to animal welfare. How have they not noticed this yet?

This sounds more like the fake christian protest for dante's inferno than a real protest. But I could just be underestimating the stupidity of PETA.

Wenseph:
I actually like this. It doesn't come off as awful as they usually do when I see news about them. It is a fairly clever campaign, and the quote doesn't make them sound dumb >_>

I know, right? I am actually more disappointed at the amount of people that seems to take those statements as some serious business and being defensive about it, when its clear they didn't even bother to read past the title.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here