Controversial God of War: Ascension Trophy To Be Renamed

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Controversial God of War: Ascension Trophy To Be Renamed

Sony Santa Monica puts foes before bros.

Sony Santa Monica has confirmed it plans to change the name of the controversial God of War: Ascension trophy that has critics shaking their fists. The trophy will have its title changed from, "Bros before hos," to, "Bros before foes," via a day one patch.

The trophy, awarded once Kratos has finished pummeling a female antagonist in a shockingly violent scene even by God of War standards, was first called out by reviewer, Adam Sessler.

"This gut punch of misogyny irredeemably sours this game and is shocking that such a talented developer would traffic in such a contemptible attitude," he said in his video review of the game. "I have always liked the adult fantasy of the God of War games - that Grand Guignol silliness - and in this moment, it's all reduced to some frat house joke, making me ashamed that I ever thought it was more than that in the first place."

As with anything that raises the dreaded specters of feminism and/or political correctness, Sessler's critique was met with a less-than-enthusiastic response from the video's YouTube viewership.

"Sessler, you are such a fucking faggot," reads the second highest rated comment, a savage intellectual beatdown from which Sessler will likely never recover.

While some (including myself) question the merit in singling out an achievement as if it's the most damning example of potentially sexist attitudes in the God of War series(seriously, In God of War 3 Kratos uses a woman as a doorstop), the outcry seems to have worked.

"We have created and will soon push out a patch for God of War: Ascension that alters the title of one of the game Trophies. The text was offensive to some members of our community and impacted their enjoyment of the game," Sony Santa Monica's told Joystiq. "We are endlessly committed to ensuring that our community can fully enjoy the experiences the team has created. As such, we've addressed the feedback and amended the Trophy in question."

Personally, while I'm not super keen on self-censorship, "bros before foes" is genuinely funnier than "bros before hos" by virtue of being actual word-play rather than a banal catchphrase. While this "controversy" will no doubt grow ever so tiresome in the coming weeks (assuming it isn't eclipsed by Sim City servers literally erupting into flames), at least it sparked a rather interesting column about the use and misuse of achievements from Escapist contributor and professional walrus impersonator, Jim Sterling.

God of War: Ascension will hit shelves on March 12th.

Source: Joystiq

People need to learn to take a damn joke.

Brad Shepard:

This.

I'm surprised there's any sand left in the world, what with it being stuck in specific crevices _

Brad Shepard:

Sorry I don't find beating a woman funny.

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

ITS A GAME, Get over it. Its in context to the game plus all this gender differentiation is tearing people apart, if you want everyone to be equal, you have to represent everyone as equal, that means getting to kill female AND male characters in games, among other things.

Come on, really? It's a little joke thrown into the trophies; it's not like the game stops after you kill the woman and displays the message on the screen surrounded by huge flames, AC/DC music and a videoreel of guys high fiving.

While I'll admit that the 'foes' name is probably better, I don't like the reason that it's being changed. It's not misogyny by any stretch.

Brad Shepard:

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

ITS A GAME, Get over it. Its in context to the game plus all this gender differentiation is tearing people apart, if you want everyone to be equal, you have to represent everyone as equal, that means getting to kill female AND male characters in games, among other things.

I didn't say it was offensive or out of place, but it isn't very amusing either.

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

DVS BSTrD:

I didn't say it was offensive or out of place, but it isn't very amusing either.

Bros before Hoes has been a stupid frat guy saying for years, thats the joke, but because people itch too much and cant take a joke, they have to change it, YET, people complain TO THIS DAY over ME3's ending, yet they wont change there shitty ending, utter bullshit on both accounts.

Skeggers:
Come on, really? It's a little joke thrown into the trophies; it's not like the game stops after you kill the woman and displays the message on the screen surrounded by huge flames, AC/DC music and a videoreel of guys high fiving.

While I'll admit that the 'foes' name is probably better, I don't like the reason that it's being changed. It's not misogyny by any stretch.

You're right about the name and indeed "foes" being better, they obviously meant it as a pop culture reference and as the article states, it's not attached to Kratos' most violent act against a woman. I try to be PC, in the sense that I care how the things I say are interpreted as I don't intend to offend people but in situations like this I normally say:

"Actually, that's a bit of a leap of logic, I think they're overreacting"

However, in this instance (bear in mind that gender inequality is an issue) the thought process of:

1. Defeat female antagonist
2. Gain achievement
3. Notice achievement has misogynistic term in title
4. ????
5. Offence!

Is one I can understand and to be honest I don't mind if they change it, they're still making the same reference and it's a much cleverer pun. Problem solved and everyone's happier...

EDIT: Just read the above post. Man, you're telling other people to "GET OVER" a game but you're still whining about ME3? People in glass houses...

Brad Shepard:

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

Bros before Hoes has been a stupid frat guy saying for years, thats the joke, but because people itch too much and cant take a joke, they have to change it, YET, people complain TO THIS DAY over ME3's ending, yet they wont change there shitty ending, utter bullshit on both accounts.

That last part is true, but it kinda overlooks the point of the saying when Kratos is already fighting the Furies anyway.

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

The title of the trophy had NOTHING to do with Kratos beating up that "woman", who actually is not a woman she is more of a demon with some female features, it had to do with the son of one of the "female" antagonists saving Kratos against her mothers wishes, the beating itself isn't even that violent by Kratos's standards, see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3L2de3ucLg

Brad Shepard:
ITS A GAME, Get over it.

IT'S A TRIVIAL CHANGE MADE TO A GAME WITH NO IMPACT ON YOU, get over it.

I always find it weird how people who are telling others to get over it seem to be so bothered.

Brad Shepard:

So you're upset that one company could make a trivial change more easily than another company could make a substantial one?

Dahemo:
Problem solved and everyone's happier...

If only.

This is really damn stupid. I know we all want to be PC for no reason nowadays, but this is a pointless change. Some people need to grow up.

Shadowstar38:
Some people need to grow up.

When you're making a bigger stink than the people who caused the change, the "grow up" argument loses a lot of its bite.

It was a stupid title. It's a stupid change. There', equality. Let's move on.

https://twitter.com/ToddPapy/status/309746549125152768 I guess this makes her a misogynist... She clearly put bros before hoes.

Zachary Amaranth:

Brad Shepard:
ITS A GAME, Get over it.

IT'S A TRIVIAL CHANGE MADE TO A GAME WITH NO IMPACT ON YOU, get over it.

I always find it weird how people who are telling others to get over it seem to be so bothered.

They should not have to change a stupid joke because of butthurt people, one joke that does not matter, but an ending that is universally hated should have been changed, because people have spent time and money buying and playing all 3 of there games, and there going to pull artistic bullshit like that, when the creators of Fallout 3 got complaints about there games ending and they changed it, Bioware has gone to shit ever since being bought out by EA, they use to be great, but thats not the point im making here.

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

The joke isn't about beating a woman, the joke is the name of the achievement, a name who's origin has nothing to do with violence what-so-ever, let alone against women specifically. Don't turn this debate into something that it isn't.

An achievement in a video game quotes a phrase that some guys use to denote that they'll place their male friends above female romantic interests?!

Sure, I can see how certain people could see it as tasteless, but I feel like people should probably aim higher when it comes to targets for gender inequality and misogyny. How about the fact that when it comes to district political elections, big money sponsors, news coverage, and PACs will support a male candidate at a much higher rate than a female one.

...but hey no, Bros Before Hos, God of War is the problem.

Zachary Amaranth:

Shadowstar38:
Some people need to grow up.

When you're making a bigger stink than the people who caused the change, the "grow up" argument loses a lot of its bite.

It was a stupid title. It's a stupid change. There', equality. Let's move on.

Time and energy is being wasted to avoid people who can't take a joke from getting upset. I don't want companies folding every time someone kicks up a fuss.

So much for "artistic integrity", huh?

Honestly, in this instance I thin-

*looks at previous comments*

Whelp, that escalated quickly.

Seriously, you really can't talk about sexism issues here can you?

Zachary Amaranth:

Brad Shepard:

So you're upset that one company could make a trivial change more easily than another company could make a substantial one?

Dahemo:
Problem solved and everyone's happier...

If only.

If wishes were fishes, young Zachary, I would be riding my winged Pegasus atop a mountain of bass. Alas, it is not to be.

You are quite right though, slight and forgiveable mistake made, corrected quickly and with good grace. This should be the end of the matter, however there are people; like our chum Brad here, who cannot help but rush to the clarion call of "A Victory For The PC Brigade!!"

What's so awful about being PC? Yes some people do stupid things in it's name, but name me a good cause that hasn't been tarnished by extremists to some degree? I don't see anything wrong with not wanting to offend...

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

I suppose if it was a man it'd be a different story ay?
The achievement is a joke, typical bullcrap PC croud needs to piss off

Edit: I do think bros before foes is better and prefer it as its more creative, just wish it wasn't done under these circumstances

Having watched the video, I guess I can see how the achievement name might not sit well, but he WAY over-reacted in the review. It's like, of all the things in all games to get THAT worked-up over? It'd be one thing if he just said it in passing, but the way he dialed it to 11, it's like the entire game is rendered completely moot all because of one tasteless joke.

WhiteTigerShiro:
Having watched the video, I guess I can see how the achievement name might not sit well, but he WAY over-reacted in the review. It's like, of all the things in all games to get THAT worked-up over? It'd be one thing if he just said it in passing, but the way he dialed it to 11, it's like the entire game is rendered completely moot all because of one tasteless joke.

This is the 2nd time they changed the game if i remember right, taking out all common female enemies.

Everything about this whole controversy seems just a bit stupid.

The name of it is a stupid frat boy phrase.
The apparent controversy that it has started is rather stupid.
The decision to change the name of it seems rather stupid as well.
But then the inevitable over-reaction of them changing the name of the trophy will be stupid as well.

All in all, unless I've completely missed something it seems everybody is getting needlessly worked up over something...well, stupid.

Also since I rarely get to use this

I was going to make a lighthearted comment about personally preferring Community's "pals before gals," but the rampant ignorance in this thread is making my stomach churn.

Seriously, the "It's just an innocent joke" attitude is exactly why the larger problems in the industry still exist no matter how many times people point them out. Sure, it's not a big misstep, it's just a little trophy that dings on screen when you get it and then you can ignore it forever. It's still something the developer should have kept to themselves.

Also, yes. It's not about violence against women. NEITHER IS THE COMPLAINT! The phrase "bros before hos" basically labels all women as "hos" and it's offensive, and if you can't see that then shame on you.

Brad Shepard:

DVS BSTrD:

Brad Shepard:

...Except it's not a funny joke and as Carter said, the wordplay is infinitely funnier.

Also, the whole thing reeks of easy cannon fodder for femnazi's to berate any and all gamers with or to use as a cherry picked reinforcement of their beliefs that 'games/gamers are sexist'.

It's just a tad bit in bad taste. It's not obscenely offensive to me but I still kinda went 'Really guys? This was the 'best' you could come up with?'

The joke will still stay around in the trophy name, it's just less of a cop out and less easy pickings for hate filled criticism.

EDIT: I really want to make something clear before someone misinterprets my post:

I just find the joke incredibly bad in timing, not helping anything, ripe for being cherry picked by the previously mentioned kinds of men and women (As I state above) and really, just extremely lazy and not funny. That is all. Do not attempt to put words in my mouth as so many people on this god damn board have tried in the past and succeeded, as well as false flagged me for reporting.

Grey Carter:
Personally, while I'm not super keen on self-censorship,

Oh please, the entire gaming scene could do with SO MUCH MORE self-censorship. That's called thinking before opening your stupid mouth, and it's always a good thing. Also, reading the comments in Mr. Sessler's review is really depressing. Yes, it's youtube, but this is ridiculous. There is nothing sadder than rancid manchildren pitching a fit.

Changing the trophy was obviously good choice.

And to all to those who still believe this blatant lie, here it comes! Spoiler Alert!

! Spoiler Alert!

You don't get the trophy for doing some mild violence (by GoW standards) to a women (who is actually one of the furies. Or e Erinyes in actual greek).

Furies aren't "women" per se. They are deities from the underworld. They simbolize vengeance, and hunt those who are oath breakers.

You gain the trophy after being rescued by Orkos, son of the furies, and the divine manifestation of oath. He see that the oath kratos swore to Ares was unfair and so he decided to help him, even if it meant betraying his mothers.

Heck, the fury Kratos "kill" doesn't even die. It's just a illusion of the true fury.

The trophy doesn't pop as you pierce her chest. You get after being rescued, and being given a extremely important artifact from orkos himself

! Spoiler Alert!

I mean, Adam Sessler looks like a pandering little whiner in the context of this article. I don't have anything against him personally, but one man shouldn't wield this kind of power. The internet is rather famous for giving people like this power though, I suppose.

I think "Bros before Hos" is funnier... well just because it's funnier. Deal with it, internet. It's not the broad spectrum condemnation of the entire female half of the species like people around here think it is. The internet is full of the most easily lead whiners I have ever seen. I like the internet a whole lot, but people who jump on this kind of thing should have their moms censor their internet web access more. I'm not saying it's bad you find it distasteful, it just shouldn't matter if you do because you are free to not buy it or pay any attention to it. There are lots of things I find distasteful and like a true adult, I simply don't entertain them or give them my money.

Agente L:
And to all to those who still believe this blatant lie, here it comes! Spoiler Alert!

! Spoiler Alert!

You don't get the trophy for doing some mild violence (by GoW standards) to a women (who is actually one of the furies. Or e Erinyes in actual greek).

Furies aren't "women" per se. They are deities from the underworld. They simbolize vengeance, and hunt those who are oath breakers.

You gain the trophy after being rescued by Orkos, son of the furies, and the divine manifestation of oath. He see that the oath kratos swore to Ares was unfair and so he decided to help him, even if it meant betraying his mothers.

Heck, the fury Kratos "kill" doesn't even die. It's just a illusion of the true fury.

The trophy doesn't pop as you pierce her chest. You get after being rescued, and being given a extremely important artifact from orkos himself

! Spoiler Alert!

So the fury isn't a prostitute cause you beat her up she's a prostitute cause her son helps you over his mother. Glad you cleared that up.

[quote="Grey Carter" post="7.403221.16657596 professional walrus impersonator, [url=http://www.destructoid.com/god-of-war-bros-before-hos-248381.phtml]Jim Sterling. [/url][/quote]

You take that jibe against our lord and saviour back Mister Carter, or you shall be sacrificed at the altar of Jimothy.

Regardless of the reason for the name change, can we all agree that the new name is better?

Harker067:
snip

Nice strawman.

There's a huge difference of "you get a trophy for beating this person" and "you get a trophy for something that happened after this person is beaten".

And sincerely? "Bros before Hoes" is a frat joke? Cause I'm nowhere near a fraternity and still see people use that jokingly.

Adam picked picked on this cause he thinks the trophy is due to you beating a illusion of one of the fury, when it's not. If the trophy was "Kill 500 harpies" and the same name, NO ONE would complain. And if adam didn't picked on this small thing, there would be absolutely zero uproar.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here