Controversial God of War: Ascension Trophy To Be Renamed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

And thus everyone throws around the word PC like it's confetti in a parade honestly this sums up my enitre reaction to the changing and the achievement name

Good. Glad the team is actually starting to listen to the crowd asking for less blatant misogyny in God of War. Yeah, I love the God of War games, but that doesn't stop me from seriously despising the fact that every single female in the games gets violently killed--bar one. Yeah, everything gets violently killed, I know, I get that, but there's actually quite a few guys that manage to live longer than twenty minutes, while the only female that does manage to avoid the fate of everything else isn't because she's intelligent, or wily, or because she realized what Kratos was doing and GTFO'd, but it's because he got to stick his dick in. Yeah, compared to the human doorstop moment that had no context other than he couldn't figure out any other way, surrounded by strong stone statues, to stop a gear, stomping on a fury isn't that bad, but how about we take the small victories of "we don't need to kill everyone just because" where we can, especially if it means we're avoiding throwing random frat blurbs after it, hm?

God of War just got emasculated a little bit.

Kalezian:

Brad Shepard:

DVS BSTrD:
Sorry I don't find beating a woman funny.

ITS A GAME, Get over it. Its in context to the game plus all this gender differentiation is tearing people apart, if you want everyone to be equal, you have to represent everyone as equal, that means getting to kill female AND male characters in games, among other things.

Im starting to get real fucking tired of hearing "IN CONTEXT".

reading through most of the youtube comments that was the argument for 90% of them.

want to know what it means?

parts of a piece of text (such as paragraphs) that precede and follow a certain detail.

so, IN FUCKING CONTEXT you are beating women down and getting an achievement for it.

now before someone goes off and lables people as white knight's and questioning people's sexuality, Im all for gender equality.

I have no problem moving down both men and women in games I play. I dont really play fighting games, but when I did a long time ago, I had no problem pulling Sonya Blades spine out besides my fingers slipping from the controller.

but lets change the situation real quick, what if the achievement was for beating up gay characters?

black characters?

children even?

would you be so willing to defend it then?

rant provided by the association for the proper use of 'IN CONTEXT' and the removal of the improperly use of 'irony'.

You seem very frustrated, so ill be the calm one here and answer your question, yes, i would still defend the achievement/trophy name even if it was kids or black characters, you know why? for one, Who the hell cares if the character is black, dont try to bring race into this, because i dont care if your black, white, purple or whatever, Ill kill you all the same in a game. Gaming is my hobby and im tired of all this bullshit that it gets when movies and music and comics and just about everything else gets away with it, so dont preach at me, because i will always defend the games i love and care about from hypocritical bullshit.

jcfrommars9:

Kalezian:

so, IN FUCKING CONTEXT you are beating women down and getting an achievement for it.

No, you're not. In fact, when you do beat the Furies, the achievement you gets is "Bond Broken". "Bros before Hos" is a trophy given because Orkos betrays the Furies to help Kratos defeat them. Sessler got his facts wrong and then it snowballed to the point where Santa Monica decided to change the title.

I'd say don't even bother. The point has been brought up multiple times in the thread, but fact of the matter is people are completely willing to disregard or outright throw away common sense and logical thinking in order to just push and push their own thoughts.
Some people noticed when you actually got the achievement, the context of the achievement, and thus understood its meaning.
Others don't give a Harpy's flea-covered ass about the context of the achievement, and just want to jump on the PC bandwagon to insult and belittle others for not agreeing with them.

Tank207:
Woah... woah woah, hold on just one minute... I thought

This game takes place after the first GoW.

Kalezian:

Brad Shepard:

DVS BSTrD:

ITS A GAME, Get over it. Its in context to the game plus all this gender differentiation is tearing people apart, if you want everyone to be equal, you have to represent everyone as equal, that means getting to kill female AND male characters in games, among other things.

reading through most of the youtube comments that was the argument for 90% of them.

parts of a piece of text (such as paragraphs) that precede and follow a certain detail.

now before someone goes off and lables people as white knight's and questioning people's sexuality, Im all for gender equality.

I have no problem moving down both men and women in games I play. I dont really play fighting games, but when I did a long time ago, I had no problem pulling Sonya Blades spine out besides my fingers slipping from the controller.

but lets change the situation real quick, what if the achievement was for beating up gay characters?

black characters?

children even?

rant provided by the association for the proper use of 'IN CONTEXT' and the removal of the improperly use of 'irony'.

Another point, Why the fuck does it matter, You beat a boss, you get an achievement, That's the name of the game. I did not see feminist or anyone else complaining about 10 years ago when we where killing Ultimicia in FF8, which if the game was released in this day and age, you would get an achievement for.

I like that Sessler considers God of War an "adult" game. Seriously, that game is being marketed to 14 year old boys from it's conception. It's not mature, it's just gory.

But yeah, that's out of place feminism striking again. Kratos beats men and women equally (a bit too equally if anything). That series has a lot of problems, misogyny is not one of them.

Sorry. Made a dumb post. IGNORE ME!

Honestly they should keep it, and not back down to censorship. People are offended? Oh well they probably aren't playing the game anyway, and if what's bothering them is some text vs using a woman as a door stop and orgies with women with no depth of character, lots of female nudity, disembowelment, eye gouging, neck breaking, very visceral in your face decapitation,impalement then I have to question why is it okay to pick and choose this? Something that isn't even about the game it's about a dumb fucking milestone that has no relevance to the game itself. All that above is okay but some stupid text isn't okay?

Screw that, let them do what they do and don't back peddle to people who can't handle a bit of immature text. Censorship is bullshit, if it offends you here's a great idea, don't play it and you don't have to be offended.

Zachary Amaranth:

IT'S A TRIVIAL CHANGE MADE TO A GAME WITH NO IMPACT ON YOU, get over it.

Well no. It was a minor edit, but it was an edit done under pressure from people who had no genuine interest or connection to the game what so ever. The real problem is the precedent this opens up. Should people who complain about everything they read and hear in every form of media be allowed have their complaints change that media? Is it right to alter, neuter or otherwise transform things just to make some sensitive people fweel better about themselves?

Zachary Amaranth:

When you're making a bigger stink than the people who caused the change, the "grow up" argument loses a lot of its bite.

Complaining to change other people's entertainment, even though it has no bearing on you, is immature.

Complaining because your entertainment is being changed by people who think they should be the controller of what you see/hear/read/play is justified complaining.

The entire idea that the world should be altered around someone's personal comfort levels is the sign of a psychologically damaged and sheltered mind that is unprepared to face the hardships life is made up of.

Krantos:
Honestly, in this instance I thin-

*looks at previous comments*

Whelp, that escalated quickly.

Seriously, you really can't talk about sexism issues here can you?

The actual thread in Gaming Discussion a few days ago was less ferocious than this >.<

OT: I agree with Grey on this one. Odd thing to nitpick considering the franchise in question.

Well better tell Satan to get out the winter wear because I agree with Adam and I'm glad the name got changed, and believe me the day I somehow end up somewhat on the "PC" side of any argument is the day hell freezes over. Granted I hated the original name partly because it was sexist and partly because its a moronic unfunny catchphrase used exclusively by the scum that accumulates on the bottom of the barrel's third sub-basement while the new one actually has something resembling wit. Also gotta love how many people in this thread are one step above the youtube comments.

Kalezian:

Brad Shepard:

DVS BSTrD:

black characters?

children even?

You need to actually WATCH the video you are complaining about. Tell me which do you think is actually putting one's "bro" before the supposed "ho".

I should put this in context, you just got done doing a boss fight and now in more or less in a cutscene moment.

The problem is Mr. Sessler got it wrong. He completely misinterpreted the scene and the the roles of who was the "bro" and who was the "ho". Nevermind the fact that Mr.Sessler is very adamant about proper word choice that he would actually go so far as to use the word misogyny to describe that part of the game when Kratos has a very clear motivation as to why he must kill the furies none of which are based on the fact what misogyny is which is hatred based upon being women.

It's a terrible double standard that he brings up with all this other sexist crap going on. Women want to be treated equally in games and the moment you have that happen you get this stupid backfire where the entire outrage was factually incorrect.

at first i was gonna just dissmiss it for "people not getting a joke" but after seeing the scene i must agree this was in very poor taste and its a good thing they changed it... now mind you i wouldnt blame sonny if they whouldve decided to stick with it despite my opinions (freedom of speech and what not) but its good they let this one go

xPixelatedx:
Well no. It was a minor edit, but it was an edit done under pressure from people who had no genuine interest or connection to the game what so ever. The real problem is the precedent this opens up. Should people who complain about everything they read and hear in every form of media be allowed have their complaints change that media? Is it right to alter, neuter or otherwise transform things just to make some sensitive people fweel better about themselves?

This is not censorship. No one forced the developers to change it. Someone complained and the developers decided to acquiesce. No aggression, no coercion. Just how a market works.

xPixelatedx:
Complaining to change other people's entertainment, even though it has no bearing on you, is immature.

Complaining about the sophomoric glorification of violence against women is not "immature." What is immature is refusing to acknowledge problematic material in something you like because it makes you uncomfortable to admit that maybe not everything about everything you love is okay.

The entire idea that the world should be altered around someone's personal comfort levels is the sign of a psychologically damaged and sheltered mind that is unprepared to face the hardships life is made up of.

It's not a comfort level thing. It's about seeing shitty misogyny and speaking out against it.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I was going to make a lighthearted comment about personally preferring Community's "pals before gals," but the rampant ignorance in this thread is making my stomach churn.

Seriously, the "It's just an innocent joke" attitude is exactly why the larger problems in the industry still exist no matter how many times people point them out. Sure, it's not a big misstep, it's just a little trophy that dings on screen when you get it and then you can ignore it forever. It's still something the developer should have kept to themselves.

Also, yes. It's not about violence against women. NEITHER IS THE COMPLAINT! The phrase "bros before hos" basically labels all women as "hos" and it's offensive, and if you can't see that then shame on you.

Exactly, and this is why I have no problem with the patch at all. Maybe it wasn't necessary, but at least it shows that DEVELOPERS REALIZE WHEN THEY'VE CROSSED A CERTAIN LINE AND ACKNOWLEDGE IT.

If there was a trophy called "Get back to the kitchen!" which you get upon throwing your first female enemy off a cliff, should that be taken as a joke too?

The original "joke" was pretty tasteless. I'm not entirely surprised that the opposition to Sessler is being headed by absolute asshats.

Depends on the context if it were a GTA or Saints Row game I'd expect it.

Grey Carter:

"Sessler, you are such a fucking faggot," reads the second highest rated comment, a savage intellectual beatdown from which Sessler will likely never recover.

Thank you Grey for making my morning, now to ignore the rest of the office as they wonder why I just fell off my chair laughing!

So Kratos massacring all manner of creatures(including his family) for 3 games before that wasn't an issue, but now we get our panties in a bunch... god you people need to grow a bloody spine.

And I bloody well know you all uttered the "evil phrase" that is being bandied on about, inclusing Mr. Drama Queen Sessler, not to mention how enthused people get when rap songs wax lyrical about smakin' hoes and bitches... but hey it's only offensive when in games, because those need to be pure for the children.

Tenmar:

You need to actually WATCH the video you are complaining about. Tell me which do you think is actually putting one's "bro" before the supposed "ho".

I should put this in context, you just got done doing a boss fight and now in more or less in a cutscene moment.

The problem is Mr. Sessler got it wrong. He completely misinterpreted the scene and the the roles of who was the "bro" and who was the "ho". Nevermind the fact that Mr.Sessler is very adamant about proper word choice that he would actually go so far as to use the word misogyny to describe that part of the game when Kratos has a very clear motivation as to why he must kill the furies none of which are based on the fact what misogyny is which is hatred based upon being women.

It's a terrible double standard that he brings up with all this other sexist crap going on. Women want to be treated equally in games and the moment you have that happen you get this stupid backfire where the entire outrage was factually incorrect.

Wow... really? I was all on board with Sessler on this but dam. "The most violent thing I have seen in a video game" my arse.

I've never used this word but there's no other way to say it.

Adam Sessler is a pandering sellout.

This just in: Sony Santa Monica has no balls. As usual, we will keep you updated. Expectations run high that Kratos will grow a bush of messy brown locks and have the ashes of his family replaced with glitter.

Once again, the gaming community makes me sad. Calling someone a "faggot" because of their personal opinions on a game is ridiculous. And the fact it is up-voted? Pathetic, and we wonder why the finger is always pointed at us.

Such a shame. The trophy itself has been changed and is far funnier now so best of both worlds I guess.

"Sessler, you are such a fucking faggot," reads the second highest rated comment, a savage intellectual beatdown from which Sessler will likely never recover.

LOL!

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but it can also be one of the funniest.

Shadowstar38:

Zachary Amaranth:

Shadowstar38:
Some people need to grow up.

When you're making a bigger stink than the people who caused the change, the "grow up" argument loses a lot of its bite.

It was a stupid title. It's a stupid change. There', equality. Let's move on.

Time and energy is being wasted to avoid people who can't take a joke from getting upset. I don't want companies folding every time someone kicks up a fuss.

theres an inversion in space and time where the developers spinal cord used to be.lmao

also watched the vid. not that violent.lmao

Haha. Oh no, guys! The FEMINISTS are coming to steal away all your fun! Quick, someone call /r/mensrights!!

I agree that "bros before foes" is a legitimately more clever name for the achievement. Also, go and read Jim's article. It's quite good.

Wait...How many men has Kratos brutally murdered, at this point?

Not to mention destroying entire continents, and we're upset at the word 'ho'?

Bros before Foes is better though, I prefer when my funny trophy titles are a play on words rather than just the straight up phrase.

After I read this I started seeing offensive trophy titles all over the place. Sly 4's Keep your Turban On, Golden Abyss' Touch my Rear. AND I DIDN'T GIVE A FUCK.

I am very glad this happened, though the new name is still a callback to the old saying. Eh, I guess you can't expect much from a company who already thought that rewarding you with a "bros before hoes" trophy after you beat a female enemy was somehow funny or witty.

Alas, we shall take whatever small victories we can get.

1337mokro:
You could punch Zeus into a bloody pulp. But when it happens to a woman. MISOGYNY! BRUTAL! EVIL!

Oh please! You could get a trophy for banging all the women in the game, who I would like to remind you are nothing more but sex objects in these games. No misogyny here. Nothing to worry about.

Fuck you! Lara Croft gets impaled through the head on spikes and I didn't see Adam Sessler stirring up a storm for this controversial unnecessary brutality that actually made me a feel uncomfortable. A pointless trophy in a franchise that prides itself on ultra violence and sex is what gets highlighted instead.

To get worked up over this is to get worked up about the Chinese store in my neighborhood that still has a giant sign over it saying Oriental. Because we collectively decided that Oriental was now offensive to.

Fuck Sessler and all the other PC pansies out there.

Did you even read the article? Or watch the video? The issue is explicitly NOT about beating up a woman. It's about a tasteless joke that implies that it is funny to beat up a woman SPECIFICALLY because she's a woman. That's gross.

Seriously, of ALL the things in God of War this is what people are in an uproar about? And isn't saying that this one, admittedly rather unimpressive (I do prefer "bros before foes"), joke makes you question your love of the series rather dramatic Mr Sessler?

Snotnarok:
Honestly they should keep it, and not back down to censorship. People are offended? Oh well they probably aren't playing the game anyway, and if what's bothering them is some text vs using a woman as a door stop and orgies with women with no depth of character, lots of female nudity, disembowelment, eye gouging, neck breaking, very visceral in your face decapitation,impalement then I have to question why is it okay to pick and choose this? Something that isn't even about the game it's about a dumb fucking milestone that has no relevance to the game itself. All that above is okay but some stupid text isn't okay?

Screw that, let them do what they do and don't back peddle to people who can't handle a bit of immature text. Censorship is bullshit, if it offends you here's a great idea, don't play it and you don't have to be offended.

xPixelatedx:

Zachary Amaranth:

Zachary Amaranth:

Complaining because your entertainment is being changed by people who think they should be the controller of what you see/hear/read/play is justified complaining.

You're both being histrionic. It's not censorship, nobody forced them to make the change. It's not even pressure, not a protest or a campaign. It's one video. One guy. He called them out and they were like "Ayup, kinda tasteless, let's fix it".

It's completely asinine to act like this is an attempt to control what media you can enjoy.

CaptainKarma:

Snotnarok:

xPixelatedx:

Zachary Amaranth:

Zachary Amaranth:

You're both being histrionic. It's not censorship, nobody forced them to make the change. It's not even pressure, not a protest or a campaign. It's one video. One guy. He called them out and they were like "Ayup, kinda tasteless, let's fix it".

It's completely asinine to act like this is an attempt to control what media you can enjoy.

perhaps its still them being spineless by choice over nothing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here