Ouya Will Launch Without Community Features

The Android-powered cube won't support chat, friend lists or achievements until later this year.

Ouya backers can expect to receive the console that they invested in all those months ago within a couple of weeks, although they may find that they won't be able to use all of its promised functions straight out of the box. An Ouya representative revealed that several of the Ouya's online features aren't going to be available until sometime this year.

An Ouya representative stated that online chat, friends list, and achievements will be coming to the console later in 2013. This clarifies an earlier comment made by company founder Julie Uhrman, who said that the company was "locking content behind servers", suggesting that the device wouldn't support online multiplayer games at release.

The representative confirmed that this wasn't the case. "We will definitely be supporting online multiplayer - developers just need to build in the functionality," the representative said.

Speaking at SXSW in Austin, Texas, Uhrman added that the console still allows several players to game on a single console, if the game provides that option. "I think Ouya is going to bring back couch play," she says.

The company has already started accepting submissions for games, and any submissions that pass the Content and Review Guidelines will be playable on the console when it ships on March 28th.

Source: The Verge

At least the're honest.

So actually only 3 of the least important features will come later and you put up a title suggesting everything will be missing, well done there...

Edit: Glad to see someone is listening

Mr.K.:
So actually only 3 of the least important features will come later and you put up a title suggesting everything will be missing, well done there...

I agree, a better title would be 'Ouya Will Launch Without Community Features.'

So it launches with online features, just not community or social features. Title is rather misleading.

Mr.K.:

Yeah, that's a significant difference. The Ouya is android based and doesn't use physical media at all[1] -- if it had no online features, it would be totally useless out of the box.

[1] unless you count SD cards and thumb drives as media, rather than storage

*in big booming voice* I AM NOT BOTHERED BY THIS IN THE SLIGHTEST!

So the missing stuff is just a bunch of useless shit?

No worries. Wonder when it'll ship to Europe.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Mr.K.:

Yeah, that's a significant difference. The Ouya is android based and doesn't use physical media at all[1] -- if it had no online features, it would be totally useless out of the box.

itchcrotch:

Genocidicles:

Glad to see my fellow single-player campaign enthusiasts are in agreement

Couldn't care less about tweeting my game stats

Honestly wouldn't care if the never added these

Ed130:

Mr.K.:

But that's not even slightest bit sensationalist or inflammatory!

Zombie_Moogle:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Mr.K.:

itchcrotch:

Genocidicles:

Oh, actually, I'm a huge multiplayer enthusiast, and I even have a Raptr account that lets all my facebook friends know when I've been playing games on my PC[2]. I still agree that this is a much smaller deal than the title would imply. Multiplayer isn't even disabled, just achievements and out of game chat. Also friends lists, but I can't say I've ever played an android based online multiplayer game that used matchmaking anyway -- dedicated servers are where it's at.

[2] shut up, it gets me prizes and tracks how much of a loser I am. I'm in the top 10% of players for several games, and by top 10%, I mean I've wasted more of my life on them than all but 10% of the other players using the service :P

Achievements are nice but hardly neccesary. In some cases they can actively detract from the game.

So they're giving it to the people that already paid for it even though some of the software isn't quite finished so they can use it as soon as possible? Sounds good to me.

Ed130:

Mr.K.:

Fair call, I've updated the title to better reflect this. Thanks for calling this out

Timothy Chang:

Ed130:

Mr.K.:

Fair call, I've updated the title to better reflect this. Thanks for calling this out

Wow.

Kudos to you for changing the headline.

Zombie_Moogle:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Mr.K.:

itchcrotch:

Genocidicles:

Agreed. I won't mind if they don't bother with community stuff at all. The less they do to encourage developers to shoehorn multiplayer into everything, the happier I'll be.

Timothy Chang:
Speaking at SXSW in Austin, Texas, Uhrman added that the console still allows several players to game on a single console, if the game provides that option. "I think Ouya is going to bring back couch play," she says.

Bring back couch play? Did I miss something? Last time I checked (yesterday) I could, in fact, sit in my couch, playing games displayed on my television.
Anyway, I'm curious about what the future will bring for this console because I honestly have now idea how the market will react to this.

Reynaert:
Bring back couch play? Did I miss something? Last time I checked (yesterday) I could, in fact, sit in my couch, playing games displayed on my television.

Couch play as in local multiplayer, which is sorely lacking from most multiplayer games nowadays.

A gaming system that doesn't tell me "YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS" every day? Awesome, I want one.

Genocidicles:
Couch play as in local multiplayer, which is sorely lacking from most multiplayer games nowadays.

There are some (party) games out there with local multiplayer. Fighting games (Mario Bros. Smash and PSASBR come to mind) and karting games usually have local multiplayer and are party-friendly. A nice local multiplayer shooter like Time Splitters once was (still is I suppose), would be nice to see though.

Genocidicles:

Reynaert:

This is actually a GIANT selling point for me.

... its funny cause I made "giant" bigger :P

Owyn_Merrilin:
shut up, it gets me prizes and tracks how much of a loser I am. I'm in the top 10% of players for several games, and by top 10%, I mean I've wasted more of my life on them than all but 10% of the other players using the service :P.

Seriously mate that line left me in stitches, +1 internet for you!

That's cool, I'll probably still buy one. I don't really use those features much now anyway.

RicoADF:

Owyn_Merrilin:
shut up, it gets me prizes and tracks how much of a loser I am. I'm in the top 10% of players for several games, and by top 10%, I mean I've wasted more of my life on them than all but 10% of the other players using the service :P.

Seriously mate that line left me in stitches, +1 internet for you!

The sad thing is, every word I said there was true. That is literally what Raptr is.

Owyn_Merrilin:
[1]

no, you shut up, and add me as a friend on raptr.
gaming does not make you a loser. being in top 10% in great many of games does not either. your life is not wasted if you enjoyed it, and im that guy that goes up to 0,4% anyway.

[1] shut up, it gets me prizes and tracks how much of a loser I am. I'm in the top 10% of players for several games, and by top 10%, I mean I've wasted more of my life on them than all but 10% of the other players using the service :P

Strazdas:

Owyn_Merrilin:
[1]

no, you shut up, and add me as a friend on raptr.
gaming does not make you a loser. being in top 10% in great many of games does not either. your life is not wasted if you enjoyed it, and im that guy that goes up to 0,4% anyway.

The smiley was there for a reason; I wasn't /totally/ serious about it being a waste of time. I mean, it is, but I'm right there with you on the whole "no time that is enjoyed is truly wasted" thing.

[1] shut up, it gets me prizes and tracks how much of a loser I am. I'm in the top 10% of players for several games, and by top 10%, I mean I've wasted more of my life on them than all but 10% of the other players using the service :P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here