Wrestler Dave Bautista Joins Guardians Of The Galaxy Cast

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wrestler Dave Bautista Joins Guardians Of The Galaxy Cast

When Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy film adaptation hits theaters, Drax will be portrayed by former WWE Superstar Dave Bautista.

The Marvel Universe Wiki describes Drax The Destroyer as a former musician killed by the mad titan Thanos. The less mad titan Kronos then resurrected Drax with superhuman strength and incredible resilience, specifically to seek revenge on Thanos.

Wikipedia describes Dave Bautista as a former professional wrestler -- WWE fans would know him best by his ring name, "Batista" -- who is a mixed martial artist, competitive body builder and Hollywood actor. IMDB lists scant credits for Bautista, with his most notable role to date being that of Brass Body in 2012's RZA-directed kung fu throwback flick The Man With The Iron Fists.

What's the link between these two? According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel Studios has signed Bautista to portray Drax in the upcoming film based on Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy superhero team.

The film, which is being directed by James Gunn, won't hit theaters until 2014, but fans have long been arguing over who might portray the green-skinned Drax on the silver screen. Until the Hollywood Reporter story broke, the smart money was on Jason Momoa, the muscular actor who's recently risen to prominence as Khal Drogo on HBO's Game of Thrones television series. Momoa also starred as the titular anti-hero in the 2011 reboot of Conan The Barbarian, so he seemed a solid fit for the heavily-muscled Drax.

While I'm sure there are wrestling fans excited by this news, for most of us it raises more questions than it answers. Those who watched Bautista in The Man With The Iron Fists are aware of his acting talents, or more accurately his lack thereof. In fairness, Bautista is a far better actor than most professional wrestlers who attempt to make the jump to Hollywood, but he lacks the charisma and general purpose appeal of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Then again, the comic book incarnation of Drax serves as a scowling, hulking brute, and in that regard Bautista is a perfect fit for the role.

Still, we can't help but think that Marvel Studios, fresh off the massive financial success of The Avengers, should have been able to find a more competent thespian for the role. There may not be many actors with the necessary muscle mass to portray Drax properly, but we have to think there would be enough of them that a guy like Bautista shouldn't be able to find his way into what will undoubtedly be a huge, tentpole production, likely to pull in hundreds of millions of dollars, if not more.

Then again, we had our doubts about Robert Downey Jr.'s ability to portray Tony Stark prior to the first Iron Man film, and now we can't imagine anyone else in the role. Hopefully Dave Bautista proves a similar happy surprise.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Momoa would be better as Bishop anyway.
imageimage

He's onboard eh? That's cool. He might prove a surprise hit and that's almost always an excellent bonus.

Also, he was in Scorpian King 3. The infinitely best film ever.

You know, I actually enjoyed him in The Man With the Iron Fists. Seems like he'd be a good fit for the role.

vansau:
You know, I actually enjoyed him in The Man With the Iron Fists. Seems like he'd be a good fit for the role.

Oh I did too, but not in a "he's an objectively good actor" sort of way. It was more in a "that's a huge, imposing dude who looks like he could kick Russell Crowe's head in and that would be awesome in this campy movie" sort of way.

Also, Mike, we miss you. Come back to us.

mParadox:
Also, he was in Scorpion King 3. The infinitely best film ever.

This! This is why I'm totally okay with him being cast in this film. Anyone in The Scorpion King 3 (sadly not mentioned in the news article; what's up with that, guys? :p) gets a free pass for the rest of their career.

Uh oh, here it is, Marvels first big flop in a long while. I love the property, all of their major galactic stuff is awesome in my book. But as soon as you start casting professional wrestlers who are not Dwayne Johnson (who is actually a fairly decent actor), it's all down hill. Plenty of movies have tried having a professional wrestling co-star, or even star and the wrestlers are terrible outside their wrestling personas.

WWE superhero... and his power is what, making baddies go suicidal with his horrific soap drama acting?
Actually no that would just make him an ordinary wrestler, he must possess the ancient art of super horrific soap drama acting!

You know, I'd normally take this as a worrying sign. But then I remembered everyone being skeptical of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. And then Chris Evans as Captain America. And the Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk.

There's the chance that this could end bad, but I've learned to trust Marvel.

Mr.K.:
WWE superhero... and his power is what, making baddies go suicidal with his horrific soap drama acting?
Actually no that would just make him an ordinary wrestler, he must possess the ancient art of super horrific soap drama acting!

Actually, his horrible soap opera acting is so bad he can even drive other wrestlers to suicide. It was his finisher in WWE.

Mr. Omega:
You know, I'd normally take this as a worrying sign. But then I remembered everyone being skeptical of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. And then Chris Evans as Captain America. And the Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk.

There's the chance that this could end bad, but I've learned to trust Marvel.

The major difference being, they were at least actors.

But still, I'm not about to throw a tantrum over the choice. Worst case scenario is this BATISTA BOMBS at the box office.

If John Cena can kick out of that, I'm sure Marvel can.

I admit to not knowing much about this Marvel character but I must wonder if there will be basketballs?

Earnest Cavalli:

vansau:

Oh I did too, but not in a "he's an objectively good actor" sort of way. It was more in a "that's a huge, imposing dude who looks like he could kick Russell Crowe's head in and that would be awesome in this campy movie" sort of way.

Also, Mike, we miss you. Come back to us.

One thing big wrestlers like him learn to do well is be silently imposing, they do a lot of stare downs and know how to get an intense look in their eyes. They can also do their own stunts in some cases which is nice.

I don't know much about the character so I don't really know how he is supposed to act, but the blue dots in his bio seem to think he is kind of dumb so it might work. Then again Batista wasn't even one the better talkers as a wrestler. I don't know how good he will be in any speaking role but we will see.

MarvelDisney have managed this like gods so far just trust them to keep hitting the right mark and all this should rock!

If he does not Batista Bomb somebody I will be woefully disappointed.

piinyouri:
I admit to not knowing much about this Marvel character but I must wonder if there will be basketballs?

I don't think it matters, they don't hold grudges.

Well not watching this movie then i refuse to support anything this guy does.

Hey, I'm all for it. Batista was never the best actor from what I could tell, but hey, its not like he'll be the only guy in the movie right?

'Course, I know almost nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy, so he might be the crux of the whole thing...

You know, I'm not too worried. Marvel have pulled quite a few odd-seeming casting choices, and they've always worked out brilliantly.

That said, whilst I think the film will be good, I can't see it doing that well commercially.

Oh I hate Batista. I am a huge wrestling fan and I hate him. He was an above average wreslter, shitty on the mic, and apparantly bad at acting (though I've never seen him act). Maybe he will surprise me, but I doubt it. He's also quite smug from what I've heard.

I'm cautiously optimistic. On one hand, a wide majority of the actors put in Marvel films weren't expected to do as well as they did. Now the actors have become synonymous with the character they played. Robert Downey Jr IS Iron Man. Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine. Wesley Snipes IS in prison. On the other hand, wrestling. Most wrestlers aren't known for their acting skill. John Cena has become a more muscular version of Walker Texas Ranger in what movies I've seen him in. Dwayne Johnson of course is the exception to the rule. And then there's Bane. Not TDKR. No, the original Bane as portrayed by Jeep Swenson in Batman & Robin.. Just, bad bad bad. He more or less stood around and scowled his way through the movie while lifting heavy things. So if Batista can actually act, this will be great. But having not seen Drax much beyond Annihilation, I'm not sure how much acting he may be required to do.

Zachary Amaranth:

The major difference being, they were at least actors.

He wasn't actually that bad in 'the man with the iron fists'. I could see this coming off alright, so long as his direction is "stand there, look imposing, punch this thing".

I think he might just pull that off.

Remus:
Robert Downey Jr IS Iron Man.

To be fair, Robert Downey Jr is a reaaaaaallly good actor when he's not high..... and when he cares about the film.

... Kinda like Nick Cage.

Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine.

Get out!

Wesley Snipes IS in prison.

That gave me a genuine chuckle though. I might just forgive your Wolverine related transgression.

Shame. I was looking forward to seeing Momoa in the role. Guy seemed like he would have been a great fit for it, too.

Still, given Marvel's current track record, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this for the time being.

Who's this "we" doubting RDJ as Tony Stark? With Downey's substance abuse history and his overall style he seemed like the perfect person to play the character.

Personally I don't know enough about Guardians of the Galaxy to figure out how psyched up to be about the project, but all in all I'm going to just try for cautiously optimistic.

Abandon4093:

He wasn't actually that bad in 'the man with the iron fists'. I could see this coming off alright, so long as his direction is "stand there, look imposing, punch this thing".

I think he might just pull that off.

And I don't inherently disagree. Just pointing out that these were different circumstances.

I haven't seen TMWTIF yet, but he's been competent in what I have seen. Still, I honestly had more faith in Ledger and Downey than I do in Dancin' Dave, so I can understand the criticisms.

Guardians Of The Galaxy is a team with a fairly large roster of characters, many of whom are just kind of "there", while the story focuses on a few at a time and has the others running support. They can't put a hugely expensive "A" list actor into every role, for everyone movie especially if they want to start folding characters into other stories. Drax is a natural to team up with The Avengers to fight Thanos, since that happened with the comics, and the last thing they need is someone who is likely going to start demanding Robert Downy Jr. kind of money especially if they want to use him more than once.

Strictly speaking if they are doing a Guardians Of The Galaxy movie I'm guessing the actual lead is going to be taken by Vance Astro, as he's the human character that ties things together to earth most directly, and also has other Avengers ties via Captain America's shield and so on, a version of him (who can be considered a seperate entity for all intents and purposes) is the Avenger "Justice" for those who are familiar with him, and I'd imagine even if Guardians fails, they will want to spend money casting here because if worse comes to worse that's an actor who has a potential second chance to fill in on The Avengers if one of the existing core actors stops doing them. Early investment and all that.

At any rate, I'm guessing we'll probably wind up with Vance, a boy/girl team playing the two halves of Starhawk (classic version), and someone in a Mocap suit doing Rocket Racoon as the the big focus of the story. Characters like Drax, who really don't do much socially to begin with are probably going to be largely there as supporting cast and to perhaps do some cool fight scenes. People are going to expect fist fighting and stuff in a super hero movie, and Drax despite his abillity to fire energy is one of the more physical members of the crew, and Batista can do choreography well if nothing else which is what the role is going to require. Starhawk in combat is pretty much going to be a total CGI effect, Rocket uses guns and is likely to be another largely CGI effect, and Vance Astro's big power is telekinesis, he pretty much looks at things and moves them (on a pretty massive scale) and the guy most likely to be played by a "serious" actor I'd guess because his fight scenes are again entirely up to the FX crews to make look good, if you can gaze convinvingly like you expect an object to move, that's all the talent you really need for his action scenes for the most part (of course he does do some physical stuff too, but that's the gist of his powers, even when he uses Cap's shield he's supposed to be cheating with mentalism). Batista's job is probably to do something "real" for the token
hand to hand fight scenes.

This is all a guess of course, but an educated one. I'll also say that people seem to be banking on Rocket Racoon being some kind of breakout from this. He's very much a "I can't believe someone made that for a character" character in Marvel who is so dumb he's cool, sort of like say Squirrel Girl, or what they hoped "Howard The Duck" would last as. He's gone through a bit of a revival in awareness in recent years, and I suspect it's related to this project brewing, you'll notice he showed up on the roster for the Marvel Heroes MMO/Action RPG, as well as a character in "Marvel Vs. Capcom 3", so it seems like a bit of planning ahead and seeding the market for his expected success.

At any rate, Guardians Of The Galaxy is cool, and I look forward to it, but honestly if I had to pick "also ran" super teams from Marvel I probably would have liked to see a "Defenders" movie, or even better "Micronauts" though the latter is just to bloody strange and "elseworlds" to have any chance of being made. That and the sheere awesomeness that is Acroyear would probably have too many geek heads exploding, and the clean up bills for the brain matter on the floors, walls, and ceillings after each showing at theaters would probably prevent it from ever turning a profit...

Remus:

He will never be Wolverine to me.

Zachary Amaranth:

Remus:

He will never be Wolverine to me.

Hugh Jackman makes a great wolverine your just jelly of his good looks and acting skills

Won't the aliens galaxy things be like CGI or something? So all we actually need from this guy is his voice?
Besides I don't think him and TheRock have been too shabby in mvies, yes they don't do it full time and are not "100% actors" but they do a hell of a better job than I would :P

who would have difficulty imagining Downey Jr as Tony Stark?
He is perfect fit for the role from day 1.

DELETE PLEASE

Baresark:
Uh oh, here it is, Marvels first big flop in a long while. I love the property, all of their major galactic stuff is awesome in my book. But as soon as you start casting professional wrestlers who are not Dwayne Johnson (who is actually a fairly decent actor), it's all down hill. Plenty of movies have tried having a professional wrestling co-star, or even star and the wrestlers are terrible outside their wrestling personas.

Well... take a look at the movies...

Kane: That awful B-list horror movie... what did you expect
John Cena, Ken Kennedy, and Mike Mizarak: The Marine series... moving on... if anyone over the age of 10 expected anything from this movie I would be surprised...
Steve Austin: Longest Yard. He was okay.
Bill Goldberg: Universal Soldier. He was AWESOME. HE JACKHAMMERED A RANDOM SECURITY GUARD!
Vladamir Kozliv: 25th Hour. It was a Spike Lee movie. Statistically, if you are not from Harlem or Detroit, you never saw it.
Triple H: Blade: Trinity. Nuff said.
Andre the Giant: The Princess Bride. HE WAS AWESOME, like everything else in the movie.
Kevin Nash: The Punisher. Nothing was good about this at all.
Christian: Shoot Em Up. Never heard of this one. Too bad, I like Jason Reso.
Kevin Nash: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. Appears alongside Vanilla Ice. Nothing more needs to be said.

I'm not seeing a lot of A-list movies to begin with...

Darks63:
Well not watching this movie then i refuse to support anything this guy does.

Not a Batista fan I guess?

Zachary Amaranth:

Mr.K.:

Actually, his horrible soap opera acting is so bad he can even drive other wrestlers to suicide. It was his finisher in WWE.

Too soon... Eddie Guerrero deserves better than that dude...

I was actually kind of pulling for Momoa in this race. He was pretty much the only one TRYING in the 2011 Conan flick, maybe that won me over.

SomebodyNowhere:
Who's this "we" doubting RDJ as Tony Stark? With Downey's substance abuse history and his overall style he seemed like the perfect person to play the character.

Personally I don't know enough about Guardians of the Galaxy to figure out how psyched up to be about the project, but all in all I'm going to just try for cautiously optimistic.

This was totally my thought, too. I was of the opinion that RDJ was a perfect fit when I found out about him being chosen as Tony Stark, and I was in favor of all their other casting choices as well. My only bit of uncertainty was with Ruffalo as the new Bruce Banner, but I actually thought that he was way better in the role than Edward Norton was, and I really like Norton. So while I'd initially have my doubts about taking a (relatively) unknown wrestler, I figure that Marvel's casting crew knows what it's doing. I mean, time will tell as with most things, but I'd wait for more information like trailers and whatnot before actually being concerned.

Watch the 'Wrong Side of Town' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1431191/ its a great laugh.

I suppose that I'm OK with this casting. I'm sure that Jason Mamoa is/was fine in Game of Thrones the Conan reboot was, in no small part thanks to him, a steaming pile of shit. Ergo I'm fine with him not being in another movie that I'm likely to see.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here