Dead State Combat Footage Shambles Online

Dead State Combat Footage Shambles Online

A demo video for DoubleBear's zombie RPG depicts an average day of zombie killing and supply scavenging.

Before Walking Dead and DayZ proved the zombie craze still had life in it (so to speak), DoubleBear Productions was working on a zombie-themed RPG called Dead State. The game's development has been slow in coming, but thanks to some enthusiastically supportive Kickstarter backers, the project is finally approaching its finished state. To prove it, DoubleBear has released some in-game footage of its protagonist making a supply run in a zombie infested town, controlled by developer Brian Mitsoda. The video provides some pretty conclusive evidence that the game has come a long way: Players can avoid zombies, scavenge supplies, pick locks, break down doors, and fight alongside AI partners. And once your supplies get low, you'll have to gear up and do it all over again.

Viewers should make note of the fact that Mitsoda doesn't run into town guns blazing. Outside of that action attracting additional zombies, he does this because in-game bullets are incredibly rare. Enemy humans can even run out of ammunition mid-combat, which means no ammo drops for victorious players after a long battle. If that detail wasn't practical enough for you, Mitsoda warns that Dead State breaks from RPG tradition by awarding no skill points for combat. Mission objectives and resource gathering are what count towards experience, so anyone trying to clear the map is really just wasting their time. That's not to say combat will always be avoidable, just that players can't simply fight their way to the top of the food chain.

For that reason, players are better off sneaking around the level to complete various objectives. The game won't make it easy; your base consumes a set amount of resources each day, meaning that large amounts of food, supplies, and luxury items are required to keep morale high. That means choosing buildings that contain priority resources, finding a safe entrance, and defeating opposition as quickly as possible. Throwing an additional wrench into the works are human enemies who aren't reserved about their own weapons, luring hordes of zombies to your doorstep faster than you can say Romero.

As good as Dead State looks, the footage is still representative of the game's unreleased state with several features requiring further development and tweaking. That said, the gameplay is coming together rather smoothly and should make for a great zombie survival experience once completed. And best of all, DoubleBear intends to have the game in player's hands this year with an unspecified release date in December 2013.

Source: Kickstarter

I've been keeping my eye on this one, mostly because of my interest in running base management sim, essentially.

I love base management.

Zombie based xcom is bonus.

im really looking forward to this. an actual zombie survival game thats about survival.

it obviously needs some cleaning up, but at first viewing it looks pretty decent

thiosk:
I've been keeping my eye on this one, mostly because of my interest in running base management sim, essentially.

I love base management.

wombat_of_war:
im really looking forward to this. an actual zombie survival game thats about survival.

it obviously needs some cleaning up, but at first viewing it looks pretty decent

Just agreeing with both of you fine dudes. Managing a settlement or safehouse is what I would consider to be the most important part of SURVIVAL in such a setting.

Everyone wants to be "The Governor" in The Walking Dead, without being a complete sociopath and unhinged.

Abomination:

thiosk:

I love base management.

wombat_of_war:

Just agreeing with both of you fine dudes. Managing a settlement or safehouse is what I would consider to be the most important part of SURVIVAL in such a setting.

Everyone wants to be "The Governor" in The Walking Dead, without being a complete sociopath and unhinged.

speak for your self about not wanting to be completely unhinged.. :D

as far as i know its basically survive as long as you can so eventually despite all your best attempts you will be overrun or people will loose hope. its a nice touch too that the longer things go on the harder it will be to find supplies. something games like fallout3, etc could do with. 200 years and things are still sitting in medkits untouched?

Bob: we've got another one over here
Alex: Another what?
Bob: Another zombie game
Alex:For fuck sakes another one already why don't these bastard die every time we kill one a another is made T_T.....
Bob: Just shut up and help me get rid of it, now lets destroy it brain doubleBear.
Alex: Bob watch out!!!!!! :O
Bob: what? OMG O_o ahsjfgjsgfsj!!!!!
Alex: Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Bob: I....I don't feel to well......
Alex: *sniff* It's ok buddy it's ok
Bob: Whats happening.....to...me
Alex: Don't go....please :(
Bob: pllllllaaaaaaaaaaay, muuuuuussssst giiiiive moneeeeeeey and playyyyyyyyyyy

[quote="Abomination" post="7.403576.16683190"

Everyone wants to be "The Governor" in The Walking Dead, without being a complete sociopath and unhinged.[/quote]

I'm with the other guy on this one.

I want my base to look like the branch Davidian cult in Waco by the time I'm through :)

wombat_of_war:
200 years and things are still sitting in medkits untouched?

To be fair most places you find supplies in Falout games are either inhabited by someone who stored them there(after looting them someplace else), or by something that stopped others from looting the place before you.

so this is basically the Rebuild flash game that will cost money?

For a moment there, I got this confused with state of decay.

Which is still "coming soon".

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I'd recognise that voice anywhere.

He was one of the guys who worked on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines :D

I already knew he was a part of the project, but I always like hearing his voice, it makes me feel secure that the game will be awesome :D

valium:
so this is basically the Rebuild flash game that will cost money?

while ive played rebuild its similar only in the very vaguest terms. dead state is base building and management, a tactical combat rpg. alot more x-com/jagged alliance than anything else

I took a look at this a while back and for some (totally forgotten but no doubt trivial) reason I'd dismissed it. But now I'm looking forward to it. Gotta love base management.
My only hope is that it doesn't enforce an inevitable "end" to the game just to be edgy and cool, and instead has an end because the character's individual stories are complete. I hate it when a zombie story ends with everyone dying simply because having everyone die in a zombie story is apparently a feature of the genre.

Looks cool, I love strategy games like this so bring it on! Until then, I have other games to catch up on.

That was looking vaguely promising... until the AI partner started moving on his own.

Yeah. Uncontrollable party members. Whose bloody idea was that?

Say goodbye to plans, tactics or coordination. Want to leave a lookout outside the building while the rest of you clear and loot it? Nope! Want to have everyone covering different angles? Nope! Want someone with a gun on overwatch in case of surprises while the others melee zombies? Nope. Want to split up to cover more ground? Nope! Want to flank or surround an entrenched enemy? Nope!

Bleh.

Zhukov:
That was looking vaguely promising... until the AI partner started moving on his own.

Say goodbye to plans, tactics or coordination. You're at the mercy of the bloody AI now.

I recall from long ago that you can give the AI orders, just there is no guarantee they will follow them.

Well, I don't like top-down, and I'm bored of zombies, but I hope this works out. Because Doublebear has some Trokia in it.

Zhukov:

Say goodbye to plans, tactics or coordination. Want to leave a lookout outside the building while the rest of you clear and loot it? Nope! Want to have everyone covering different angles? Nope! Want someone with a gun on overwatch in case of surprises while the others melee zombies? Nope. Want to split up to cover more ground? Nope! Want to flank or surround an entrenched enemy? Nope!

Bleh.

Did say they were intending on you being able to give your comrades orders. I think the idea of not having direct control of them is so that aspects like morale, stress and panicking can come into play.

Then again I hope the developers realize that most gamers will want to turn their scavengers into a well-oiled machine that follows a protocol the player has developed.

Abomination:

Zhukov:

Bleh.

Did say they were intending on you being able to give your comrades orders. I think the idea of not having direct control of them is so that aspects like morale, stress and panicking can come into play.

Then again I hope the developers realize that most gamers will want to turn their scavengers into a well-oiled machine that follows a protocol the player has developed.

cant speak for everyone, but I like the idea that because of one panicked individual could turn an easy scavenge mission into a blood bath.

makes you consider who you take and when.

wouldn't want someone who has shown in the past that he/she will go off and start killing zombies when you are just trying to sneak around and find supplies.

As a retired HvZer who always made it to the final mission as a human, I can say that the picture of this game I'm getting from the article and this thread is pretty much exactly what a zombie game should be. Yes, even the part about one panicked individual turning an easy scavenge mission into a blood bath. I had that happen a few times as a squad leader, I hate it when things get messy.

Yes good. I lost track of this game a while back and it's good to hear it's still alive and kicking. Probably going to give the Kickstarter a look in if it's still open too...

Overall, looks like a nice game, but in TB tile tactics games you really should have your fully party controllable. The only time you should lose control of a character is if there RPG stats Health/Courage/Stamina/Morale "breaks" and represents them as psychologically irrational and unusable...

I think the 'out of your control, other people's dumbness' element DOES play a big part in zombie settings, but I'm not sure how well it makes a gameplay mechanic.

Zombies, and surviving Zombies. Not exactly the richest loam, but its nice to see turn based CRPGs, so what the hell, I'll 'good on' it... Unfortunately, I'll be too absorbed in Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and (still) XCOM: Enemy Unknown, to check it out till it's on sale, most likely.

its going to be a good couple of years for turn based strategy and rpg mixes :D

Zhukov:

Bleh.

It's an rpg about survival, not a strategy game centering on tactics. The idea is that other people are unpredictable, that they can panic, become stressed, not trust you, and not all of them are going to be reliable.

infinity_turtles:

Zhukov:

Bleh.

It's an rpg about survival, not a strategy game centering on tactics.

That sentence is essentially meaningless.

"It's an rpg". So what? That means it shouldn't allow for tactics? It's also a turn based game, and a turn based game that prevents you from using plans is just a slog where you take turns hitting each other with your numbers.

The idea is that other people are unpredictable, that they can panic, become stressed, not trust you, and not all of them are going to be reliable.

I have nothing against mechanics where your party members can lose their shit and panic or run away. That sort of thing can add to the complexity by making you avoid situations that can cause them to do that.

However, that sort of thing shouldn't replace tactics by saddling you with thick-as-a-brick AI allies (and make no mistake, they will be thick as bricks) that can't do anything complex and will inevitably shit all over your best laid plans.

Zhukov:

infinity_turtles:

Zhukov:

Bleh.

It's an rpg about survival, not a strategy game centering on tactics.

That sentence is essentially meaningless.

"It's an rpg". So what? That means it shouldn't allow for tactics? It's also a turn based game, and a turn based game that prevents you from using plans is just a slog where you take turns hitting each other with your numbers.

The idea is that other people are unpredictable, that they can panic, become stressed, not trust you, and not all of them are going to be reliable.

I have nothing against mechanics where your party members can lose their shit and panic or run away. That sort of thing can add to the complexity by making you avoid situations that can cause them to do that.

However, that sort of thing shouldn't replace tactics by saddling you with thick-as-a-brick AI allies (and make no mistake, they will be thick as bricks) that can't do anything complex and will inevitably shit all over your best laid plans.

Tactics does not mean controlling all our resources exactly. If something is unpredictable or unreliable you adjust. As a thematic game with a heavy focus on trying to keep allies happy, and weighing the usefulness of individuals against how much you like them, it's a choice I like. If your best bud panics easily when hurt but doesn't like to do what's told and you have to choose between him and the asshole who knows that in serious situations you put stupid shit aside and can handle a gun? That's a better choice for a game focused on role-playing and survival then one between an asshole with better stats and a cool guy with worse stats and a negative trait that can be managed. The ability to control other characters de-emphasizes that choice because smart control can make it far less impactful.

There will be the ability to give some orders to characters by the way, but I like not having actual control of them the way you do the PC.

from the official discussion about why they chose it
"The player doesn't have full control over the party, but the player can issue orders to both individuals and the group. These include things like telling them to conserve ammo, stay close, protect other allies, focus on a certain target, or rallying at a certain point on the map. Depending on their personality, perks the player may have, or if they are panicking or not, the ally may not accept the player's orders. They're definitely not autonomous. One reason we didn't go with full control is that the game is working with normal people and getting them to cooperate for survival, so there was a bit of disconnect if an ally is constantly criticizing the player - maybe even trying to push them out - and then having them fully controllable in combat, even if the player might want to take action against them in the future. We felt that not having complete control over the allies helped sell them as individuals. If we were a 100% tactical strategy game, it would be full control, and of course, if the combat doesn't work as designed, we may have to try implementing full control. "

I'm insanely glad to finally see a zombie survival game that attempts to de-emphasize combat, while still allowing it as an option. Looking this over, it really seems that all the other elements of the game were designed first, which will really help reinforce the "last resort" aspect that should surround it.

That said, I do hope that position plays a bit more of a role during combat (rather than just before).

Looks good, but I am still waiting for a zombie survival game where there are no enemy respawns and it's theoretically possible to kill all zombies in game. Although maybe unlikely like being in a city with a few million zombies, but at the least allowing to make safe zones.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here