Cancer Victim Lives On In Total War: Rome 2

Cancer Victim Lives On In Total War: Rome 2

Creative Assembly did its best to give one fan a special day, and you'll see the result in-game.

When Creative Assembly first announced Total War: Rome 2, it promised "colossal armies rendered in incredible detail." For one gamer's family, that incredible detail has special meaning: James, a 24 year old Total War fan and liver cancer sufferer, visited the studio, eager to see the latest developments in the series he loved. His likeness lives on, in-game, as a soldier in the Siege of Carthage; James died shortly after his studio tour.

It had all been arranged by Willow, a charity that organizes Special Days for the seriously ill. "What really struck me was how my colleagues reacted to James coming in," said community manager Craig Laycock. "I was inundated with emails offering help with James' day. The tour organized itself, as the guys around me scrambled to show James what's going into making Rome 2." James got to play an early build, and talked to pretty much everyone involved in the game's development. "He asked passionate questions," Laycock reminisced, "and offered clear and concise suggestions on features for the game."

"He will live on in some small way in our game," Laycock said, "and every time I see him I'll be reminded of what a great guy he was."

Total War: Rome 2, the latest in the Total War RTS series, is due for PC later this year.

Source: Eurogamer

Whilst that is totally cool and awesome, does anyone else find it kinda weird that in his memory, he is going to be killed on a daily basis?

TheRightToArmBears:
Whilst that is totally cool and awesome, does anyone else find it kinda weird that in his memory, he is going to be killed on a daily basis?

But what a way to go! This guy is going to be Legion... wait for it... dairy.

He's been given a face in a game where you spend most of it suspended 100 feet above the earth.
Nice.

Nice story and nice of them to put him in the game.

Surprising how negative the comments are. Ok these guys are getting free publicity for sure, but if James loved the Total War games that much then IMO its a fitting memorial

TheRightToArmBears:

On the flipside, he's also going to be fighting massive wars on a daily basis. That is a win.

I think it's a pretty good way to keep their memory intact. I'd be honoured to find my way into a game in just a small capacity like this.

That's pretty bloody awesome.

I do have the strange feeling that willow, and other organisations of the sorts, is gonna see an increase in 'can we go to a gaming company' requests.

Never heard something so awesome and yet so sad at the same time.

It's actually a shame you don't see this happening with a lot more AAA titles.

I mean, not like it would be super hard to do in a lot of the big budget games and it makes for such an awesome monument to the person's memory.

ron1n:
Never heard something so awesome and yet so sad at the same time.

It's actually a shame you don't see this happening with a lot more AAA titles.

I mean, not like it would be super hard to do in a lot of the big budget games and it makes for such an awesome monument to the person's memory.

Reminds me a lot of what happened a few years ago. 5, to be exact, just to rub in how fast time flies.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Ezra_Chatterton

It's always nice seeing things like this happen, in a way. I'm not sure what else to say, really. Bittersweet, to be sure

That's pretty fucking awesome. Damnit creative assembly don't you be making me fall in love with you all over again.

What a really nice thing for them to do. Whatever the ironic jokes some might make about it, it made the guy happy, and that's what counts.

A really great thing to read. And a nice counterbalance for all the negativity about the state of gaming. Very nice of The Creative Assembly.

And to cancer I say: "SHAMEFURRR DISPRAY!"

That's an awesome thing to do.
Even better than the ashes in Morrowind.

It will be sad if a Total Realism mod comes in because he will be the first thing cut.

TheRightToArmBears:

He's on the Roman side of the Siege of Carthage. He might not die that often.

That's so sad... =*(

hazabaza1:
He's been given a face in a game where you spend most of it suspended 100 feet above the earth.
Nice.

He's been given a face in a battle scenario (and probably a spot in the pool of randomly selected soldiers face as well) so odds are you most likely will see him in the battle intro. Though maybe he's a general portrait to, don't know why you are trying to see the downside of this?

Also, Total War lets you dive down into the chaos any time, so it's not like you can't see him.

a lot of my battles involve sitting and waiting for the issue to resolve itself

TheRightToArmBears:

Well he is the only roman not wearing his helmet. So if films have taught me anything he'll live every single time. ^^

Parshooter:
It will be sad if a Total Realism mod comes in because he will be the first thing cut.

Meh, darthmod is better in anyways :P
Who needs "Realism" when it consists of replacing Fatigue with Cohesion and, muskets have an accuracy of about 1 hit at 50 metres with 100 men firing. I found it more realistic to just switch to Darthmod :P

Parshooter:

TheRightToArmBears:

He's on the Roman side of the Siege of Carthage. He might not die that often.

Hell he appears to have the luck of being an officer. They could give him the role of Tiberius Gracchus, first man to scale the walls, and the buggur lived through Carthage and the Numidians. Well he... lived through the battles, he didn't quite manage to survive the senate as one of the Tributes to the people.
Two people taken before their time, separated by 2000 more than years, remembered in a Video Game :)

--------------

I think this is something that the Creative Assembly is good for. They are a team of good people who love what they do. Its why we have 8 Total War games, and a 9th on the way.

That is something rarely done, particulary without a massive budget. Call of Duty have 9 titles. The CA do actually care about their fans a lot.
We're lucky to have them :)

TheRightToArmBears:

Man... in a couple years' time, think of his kill-death count, it'll be stratospheric... -_-

Well, judging from his get-up, he's a tribune of some sort...

Comando96:
Hell he appears to have the luck of being an officer. They could give him the role of Tiberius Gracchus, first man to scale the walls, and the buggur lived through Carthage and the Numidians. Well he... lived through the battles, he didn't quite manage to survive the senate as one of the Tributes to the people.
Two people taken before their time, separated by 2000 more than years, remembered in a Video Game :)

With you there... -_- Though for some reason, I generally favour his brother, Gaius... dunno why...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here