EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Adept Mechanicus:
Ding dong, the witch is dead. I don't think this is going to lead to a massive shakeup in corporate policy. A CEO is elected by the shareholders, after all.

Except that with all their "Digital revenues" their profits are tanking. I guess they are learning real fast that short profits aren't worth long losses.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It's almost the wild wild west right now with gaming, they are trying to push the limits of what they can get away with, and luckily the game enthusiasts out there are such a vocal bunch that the people that make our entertainment are getting the picture.

Be fair, give us good value, and don't sell us broken shit, and we will give you the monies.

Well, Ricatello certainly can't bear all the blame for E.A's spiral into self-destruction in my opinion, but I also believe that he had his hand in it too, pushing the company in the wrong direction and not ensuring better public relations with the gaming community. Hopefully the next C.E.O will make engaging with us and servicing our needs and desires as customers a top priority rather than balling up any notion of making us happy and tossing it into the wastebin.

Well you won't see me shed a tear.

faefrost:

piinyouri:
Respect to the man for taking accountability.

If you don't believe that the board came to him and said "Time to go" than I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. He hasn't taken accountability for anything in years. he didn't now. It's just less embarrassing for all involved than to say "We fired his ass".

He could have VERY easily have said some bullshit story about, "Pursuing other interests", or whatever BS story that every other CEO in the world makes up when he gets ousted. And no board in the universe wants to get dragged into a pissing competition with a former CEO and suddenly make all their customers (And more importantly, investors) squeamish. He could have tried to save face, and he would have absolutely gotten away with it. Instead, he actually said that he screwed up, and taken responsibility when he didn't have to. In this day and age, that is AMAZING, and I can think of no other CEO who has done that sort of thing, and plenty of CEO's have screwed up just as badly or worse then him. Sure, I understand your opinion of him being low: Mine still is. But this was a honorable move, and I at least respect that.

You know how I know that there is a God? Because this finally happened.

Xanadu84:

faefrost:

piinyouri:
Respect to the man for taking accountability.

If you don't believe that the board came to him and said "Time to go" than I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. He hasn't taken accountability for anything in years. he didn't now. It's just less embarrassing for all involved than to say "We fired his ass".

He could have VERY easily have said some bullshit story about, "Pursuing other interests", or whatever BS story that every other CEO in the world makes up when he gets ousted. And no board in the universe wants to get dragged into a pissing competition with a former CEO and suddenly make all their customers (And more importantly, investors) squeamish. He could have tried to save face, and he would have absolutely gotten away with it. Instead, he actually said that he screwed up, and taken responsibility when he didn't have to. In this day and age, that is AMAZING, and I can think of no other CEO who has done that sort of thing, and plenty of CEO's have screwed up just as badly or worse then him. Sure, I understand your opinion of him being low: Mine still is. But this was a honorable move, and I at least respect that.

CEOs are often held accountable (rightly or wrongly) for a company's financial troubles anyway. I think the size of his severance package will be a better indicator of how accountable he feels for EA's financial shortcomings.

Guys lets be realistic here...the next guy is gonna be worse.

Some interesting financial news:
http://www.rttnews.com/2079106/electronic-arts-inc-ea-is-rising-after-ceo-steps-down.aspx

Market forces will dicide this guys legacy.
A companies share price will rise when a poor CEO resignes.

EA's share price has risen.

bafrali:
Well that came out of nowhere. Is EA really doing that badly right now? I know Dead Space 3 has sold a bit below expectations but... I wonder if he was pressured into resigning.

Their share price fell off of a cliff in 2008 and has never recovered. The pressure will have built after all these years.

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?cid=168725

I suspect that as far as EA is concerned, this isn't a good sign.

Ricitiello has certainly had his hands in his share of bad EA decisions, especially where EA's entry into the digital-download space is concerned. But my impression has been for a while that, unlike Activision, EA is less rotting from the head down than pitted with tumors, especially in its marketing, legal, acquisitions and HR departments.

All the usual corporate gladspeak aside, I have a sneaking feeling that JR's departure has less to do with new opportunities and more to do with not being on the helm when the damage stops being possible to hide.

My mind wanders to the death of Grelod the kind "Yay she is dead".

That seems to be the situation here.

There's only one thing I can really post:

It feels so very, very fitting. The battle is won, the evil emperor is dead... but there's still the rest of the Empire to face.

Comando96:
Some interesting financial news:
http://www.rttnews.com/2079106/electronic-arts-inc-ea-is-rising-after-ceo-steps-down.aspx

Market forces will dicide this guys legacy.
A companies share price will rise when a poor CEO resignes.

EA's share price has risen.

And we have a winner. This was a move to please shareholders, and should NOT be taken as a sign of significant change until it happens. Chances are good that the EA under Riccitiello is going to be the same EA without him: Bullshit and all.

I would like to add that Riccitiello's departure comes at a curiously convenient time (the end of Q2 of the fiscal year), along with the usual slapdash game designed to boost revenue haphazardly at the last second (which explains why SimCity launched in its current horrible state).

I'm guessing these events are not coincidental.

The rats are fleeing the ship. Hopefully now they will learn and fix their mistakes before they sink it completely.

While I certainly appreciate change of any sort in EA's leadership, but the fact that he resigns won't mean that anything changes for the customer. In fact, and I sure hope EA is gonna prove me wrong on this in the future, I give him a lot of credit for actually not being responsible for all of this outside of the fact that he didn't say "No." - which would likely have cost him his job. It is not entirely or directly his fault that EA went downhill.
I could even go out on a limb and say that this is just a change of the corporate face to cut off some of the bad PR. It would be reasonable, at this point, even though I - again - sure hope EA proves me wrong on this.

Captcha: moot point

Yep, seems like it.

Slayer_2:
The rats are fleeing the ship. Hopefully now they will learn and fix their mistakes before they sink it completely.

Hey...

Don't insult rats.

Rats are cool :P

Comando96:

Slayer_2:

Hey...

Don't insult rats.

Rats are cool :P

John is... cool... kind of... Not really.

Tradjus:
Well, Ricatello certainly can't bear all the blame for E.A's spiral into self-destruction in my opinion, but I also believe that he had his hand in it too, pushing the company in the wrong direction and not ensuring better public relations with the gaming community. Hopefully the next C.E.O will make engaging with us and servicing our needs and desires as customers a top priority rather than balling up any notion of making us happy and tossing it into the wastebin.

A large companies CEO sets the tone and stage for everything that happens below him. They bear responsibility for what they allow to happen, not simply what they do deliberately or have knowledge of. Riciatello's biggest failings was that he never ever stepped in to take steps to tame EA's legendarily bad Customer Service issues. Not even when the company was voted the worst company in the world. That sort of public statement is a clear unequivocal declaration by his customer base that the Customer Service was lacking. The fact that he ignored this and many other similar signs gave free reign to everyone and everything below him to set their own rules. A new CEO and a few well placed high end replacements can quickly turn that sort of corporate culture around. Which more than anything else is one of the key things EA needs to do. (The other is to make a major 180 and start cultivating and respecting the creative teams instead of the marketing teams.)

And the players rejoiced...

He'll just be replaced by a corporate suit just like him. All that matters is the shareholders.

Nothing will change.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
There's only one thing I can really post:

It feels so very, very fitting. The battle is won, the evil emperor is dead... but there's still the rest of the Empire to face.

>Special Edition ending
>Haden Christiansonsdflsd inserted

Yea... this just stirs up my rage about star wars now.

I wish I could be happy but I know that very little will change with EA.

Well, I suppose he stepped down in acknowledgement of EA's recent failures, soooo... EA is aware that they've fucked up. I guess that's something to welcome. Too bad they won't learn from said fuck-ups (probably).

Guys remember the old saying guys, "The devil you know is better than the one you don't".
We just found out the last of the bastard's tricks and now there's someone else with a possible all-new repertoire.

I did not expect this at all. I did not expect EA to offer a number of awesome, free games to disgruntled sim city gamers either, so maybe leadership has already changed hands. We may be on the verge of a totally new, consumer centric EA. One intent to rebuild its reputation amongst gamers.

Ding Dong, the witch is dead!

Next in line...

Well, it's an improvement.

Honestly, I don't think much will change for the better but I'm open to the possibility of that happening.

Just remember that just because the CEO is gone, EA still has investors to appease.

The optimist in me hopes that this marks the beginning of EA turning a new leaf and changing its policies for the better. That said, John Riccitiello was just one man. Maybe he was an important one, but I have a feeling that EA's shortcomings over the last few years have been a result of a more systematic incompetencies which are too ingrained into the company to change without a drastic restructuring. I guess only time can tell what will happen now.

O maestre:
this means nothing, i dont think it will make a difference at all

president of EA 1991-97 Larry Probst
president of EA 1997-04 John Riccitiello
president of EA 2004-07 Larry Probst
president of EA 2007-13 John Riccitiello
president of EA 2013-?? Larry Probst

notice a pattern, even in regards to leadership EA is afraid of innovation.

Though probably just a coincidence, EA's best years occurred on Probsts' watch. So perhaps Riccitiello stepping down yet again could lead to a positive up-turn for EA.

But really? Who knows. My guess is it'll be "bullshi", err, um I mean, "business as usual" for the next few years.

DeaDRabbiT:

Adept Mechanicus:
Ding dong, the witch is dead. I don't think this is going to lead to a massive shakeup in corporate policy. A CEO is elected by the shareholders, after all.

Except that with all their "Digital revenues" their profits are tanking. I guess they are learning real fast that short profits aren't worth long losses.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It's almost the wild wild west right now with gaming, they are trying to push the limits of what they can get away with, and luckily the game enthusiasts out there are such a vocal bunch that the people that make our entertainment are getting the picture.

Be fair, give us good value, and don't sell us broken shit, and we will give you the monies.

Given that all of that stuff you just mentioned is pretty much century-old business wisdom, "fast" isn't the word I'd use. Not at all.

And given the general track record of EA, all this "pessimism" really is just awareness to the cold, hard facts, something I've been waiting to awaken among gamers for YEARS. So I think we all know that the next thought from EA's side won't be

"Okay, we realized that we've been behaving like short-sighted money-grubbing bastards, alienating our customers by treating them like retarded money-bags, so we vow to change our ways",

but rather

"Okay, we apparantly didn't squeeze our programmers' and our customers' necks hard enough, since all our foolproof succesful business strategies didn't make us enough money. Obviously the game market is tougher than even we thought, so all we need to do is be even more ruthless. Because we have a lot of money, our concepts can't be wrong!"

So yes, I'm waiting for the next slimey RP-Agent telling us that EA will take on a "new, fesh direction" and usher in a new era of "compelling and innovative games". And of course the inevitable slide of drool-monkeys who actually believe that.

he looks like a derped version of george clooney

Replacing one vampire overlord with another. Who cares. He's sucked as much money as he feels his conscience can take. He'll be forgotten within a year and live his life. The next person will likely be a clone.

Touch wood. EA, I live to be surprised.

hey, maybe the next one wil realize that the current business model isn't doing them any favours. not even the biggest fool in the world will keep running into the same wall forever.

Herein lieth,

Thine acts of the Electronic Arts (played by Sir Robin),

...Who nearly defeated the Dragon of Angnor...

...Who nearly faced up to the Chicken of Bristol...

...And who personally wet himself at The Battle of Baden Hill...

Against the Fearsome Three-Headed Knight (The Internet).

Ah, but I doubt we're done just yet. This is all probably a dodge to make people THINK they take responsibility while actually doing nothing at all, NOTHING AT ALL, NOTHING AT ALL! Stupid sexy Flanders... We should, therefore, get out all of our weapons and keep hurting them. I doubt their intelligence will rise 'cause of this, so...

Good hunting!

I'm not expecting much to change honestly, EA are too bloated to change easily they'll keep on as is and hope shit'll change on it's own it's easier than trying to turn the whole thing around. :/

So he resigns not because of the homogenous pile of DRM-ridden mediocrity released under his reign, not because consumers hate him and his company with a burning passion equal to the sun, not out of any sense of decency. He resigns because he hasn't hit the company's bottom line forecast.

Same old Riccitiello, same old EA. Chances are they'll just replace this idiot with an even bigger one. Don't get your hopes up.

This was seen from a mile away. the last two things he said were actually logical, and you cant run EA with logic. oh no. it was clear he was leaving. and bam, he got kicked nicely wrapped in cotton.

Now, to find out whether the new CEO will continue to make the company as evil as possible.

P.S. so wheres that theory of why evil corporations never fail when you need it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here