BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-Orders Now Include a Copy Of XCOM

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-Orders Now Include a Copy Of XCOM

Pre-ordering BioShock Infinite on Steam will also grant you the Industrial Revolution pack, a copy of the original BioShock and seven exclusive TF2 items.

A special promotion for BioShock Infinte on Steam unlocked extra pre-order bonuses depending on how many people pre-ordered the game. As well as including the Industrial Revolution pack that all pre-orders of BioShock Infinite come with, the Steam promotion featured 3 additional "reward tiers" that would grant customers extra goodies. The third tier of rewards has now been unlocked, and includes a free copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

The first tier included a copy of the original BioShock, and the second tier included seven items for use in Team Fortress 2. The items are as follows:

• Vox Diabolus

With this Vox Populi anarchist mask, you can terrify your enemies into thinking you're the Devil Himself, or worse, a protestor. Either way, they're probably going to avoid you at the entrance to the supermarket when you try to get them to sign something.

• The Pounding Father

Heavy cannot tell lie. Heavy is first President of United States. Of crushing little baby men.

• Blind Justice

Want to command respect from people standing at an indeterminate distance from your immediate right? Bolt on a platinum Pinkerton badge and experience the thrill for yourself!

• The Person in the Iron Mask

Turkey? Chicken? Game hens? Your head? This cast iron poultry furnace will smoke anything placed inside it.

• The Doe-Boy

Protect the important thoughts in your head -- ones like "liberty" and "freedom" and "democracy" -- with good, honest, hat-shaped American steel. This helmet won't run (until heated to 2500F)!

• The Sydney Straw Boat:

Throw this hat on the ground to express rage, or in the air to express joy! Take a hat-based trip through time to learn how your great grandparents displayed emotions in the days before emoticons!

• The Steel Songbird:

It gets pretty quiet in that sniper's nest. Why not treat yourself to the haunting rhythmic symphony of bolts being constantly pooped by this mute, easily terrified incontinent bird?

Those who have already pre-ordered the game will still be granted all the extra reward tier items. If you already own BioShock or XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Steam, you can gift them to a friend.

Source: Steam

Isn't this the same site that had content railing against all these pre-order incentives? I swear it was. Oh well I guess. We're only gonna say that counts for games we don't like.

Frostbite3789:
Isn't this the same site that had content railing against all these pre-order incentives? I swear it was. Oh well I guess. We're only gonna say that counts for games we don't like.

I'm neither for nor against these incentives, just reporting that they do in fact exist.

Frostbite3789:

I would dare say it's a tad different when you get a game still worth full price on top of your order.

Whilst I am one who feels rather iffy about pre-orders I will admit I'm rather happy to be getting me a copy of XCOM. And come on, it's Bioshock! Surely it's a safe bet it'll be a good game that isn't -too- plagued with issues, right? Right? please don't hate me for my hypocrisy

Boris Goodenough:

Frostbite3789:

I would dare say it's a tad different when you get a game still worth full price on top of your order.

Which would make me more skeptical. You're not confident enough in the product selling that you need to dangle a $60 carrot in front of people in order to get their friends to drop money on the game too?

Steven Bogos:

I'm neither for nor against these incentives, just reporting that they do in fact exist.

Fair enough.

Tempting, but considering Steam charges more than the retail stores from around where I live for new games I think I'll pass.

Frostbite3789:

Which would make me more skeptical. You're not confident enough in the product selling that you need to dangle a $60 carrot in front of people in order to get their friends to drop money on the game too?

Well it doesn't cost them anything to bundle it but I sure do understand your suspicions.

Frostbite3789:

Boris Goodenough:

Frostbite3789:

Steven Bogos:

Fair enough.

To give a personal opinion, I'm actually more in the anti-pre-order camp these days. I used to be all for pre-order incentives giving hardcore fans a little extra for being enthusiastic, but i've been shot down too many times too often lately that i'm starting to get quite disillusioned with the whole practice. This one especially seems shifty, i honestly think that the rewards were just timed to unlock as the game neared its release date. I honestly doubt that the three tiers of rewards would not be unlocked (even if they didn't get the arbitrary prerequisite pre-orders)

Steven Bogos:
Snip

I've seen one game do it right in recent memory. It offered the arbitrary pre-order bonuses, but had reviews up a solid...two weeks before release. Tomb Raider. Like the fact that reviews went up that early? That builds confidence, and makes me feel like you believe in the product you're going to release. If Bioshock ends up something like that in the next few days, more power to them...but I don't see it happening.

And I dunno, personally I've just had a hard time caring about this game. It looks like Bioshock again. But in the sky this time.

I'm OK with pre-order bonuses giving away games digitally- it costs nothing for steam and even if Infinite is somehow terribad I get Xcom which I was considering buying for full price and have read many reviews on.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the small DLC packs (which Infinite DOES have as a bonus), they make people feel like they need to preorder or not get the complete experience, which is silly considering they often detract from the pacing by making early stages of the game exceptionally easy.

And yet the final bonus for resident evil 6 is DLC, but in the form of a season pass. This I am OK with as it's taking a risk for content down the line (Read: not part of development time) that would otherwise cost money.

I don't know, it's a bit hypocritical of me I suppose, but the giving stuff away thing doesn't make me suspicious of it being a bad game; steam sales have proven that they can make good games exceptionally cheap.

NOTE: as of now (9.26 GMT) the Xcom target has been met but it doesn't seem to be appearing in people's libraries yet. So don't go order infinite expecting to get Xcom right now.

EDIT: It has appeared! 16.10 GMT Xcom was suddenly in my library. It totally does exist.

I do hope players are learning the lesson of avoiding pre-orders, and allow the game to sell itself to you with good reviews and impressions... not random pre-order junk.

The whole pre-order notion is a danger to games as it encourages buying the game without even knowing what the quality of the game is like, which in turn encourages more emphasis on marketing rather than good game making.

I am interested in this game, I have the previous 2 titles on PC already and played System Shock 1 and 2, but I will wait for reviews and opinions and even a lets play or two before deciding.
I mean if the game is good, there is nothing to fear... so why so desperate to seal the deal before anyone gets their hands on the game.

Pass due to two reasons:

1) I already have Xcom.

2) Due to the season pass announcement, I cancelled my pre-order to wait for the Ultimate Edition.

Interesting news, I'm strapped for cash at the moment but we'll see what the situation is in a few days. In general I'm not pre-ordering games like this anymore, and the whole DLC "Season Pass" thing kind of disgusted me, it was cool the first couple of times I saw it, but right now it's become standard and has begun to disgust me that they are planning DLC that early in and expecting people to pre-order it... in this case X-com is enough of a value where I might pre-order if my Dad wants it (I already have a copy). Chances are I'll probably wait for Bioshock to actually launch though and if I buy it, it will be next month sometime once I get some idea if it's a decent game or not. I mean it *looks* good, but then again so did "Aliens: Colonial Marines" and we all saw how that turned out.

If you really want XCOM, buy XCOM. If you kinda want it or wouldn't mind, just wait 'till it's super-cheap during the summer sale or end of year, and buy it then. The DLC crap and the hats totally aren't worth it, forget them.

Let the reviewers actually do their job and review the game before you buy it people! Whether it's almost assuredly a slam dunk is irrelevant. Pre-ordering, sight unseen is something we've become trained to do by the big publishers. It benefits no-one but their bottom line. And this belief that they can sell us the game, sometimes up to a year before it's finished, using gimmicks and marketing ploys ultimately hurts us, the customers in the long run.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is only barely behind us for christ's sake!

Never, ever preordered a game....but this one I will!
1) Its fucking bioshock...
2) I get Xcom, so even if Bioshock sucks major balls, I still get a great game I always wanted to play
3) I can give Bioshock 1 to a friend who never played it and enlighten him! xD

UnderGlass:
...Pre-ordering, sight unseen is something we've become trained to do by the big publishers....

...would be valid argument if I would have preordered any other game ever...

So... are we supposed to have XCOM: Enemy Unknown in our libraries now? I'm looking through my library and I can't find it.

HalloHerrNoob:
...would be valid argument if I would have preordered any other game ever...

Damn. Because of course my observations were solely directed at you and your buying habits...

ORRRR if youre quick, you can go to gamersgate for the next 6 or so hours and get XCOM for $20 then go to GMG and get Bioshock infinite with either CIV5, Mafia 2, Bioshock 2, The Darkness 2 or Spec ops the line (as well as the original bioshock with any choice) for an additional $50, saving you $10 and netting you a profit of a decent game on top.
(Full disclosure, those are Australian prices, probably even cheaper for USA guys).
It really pays to shop around.

Porecomesis:
So... are we supposed to have XCOM: Enemy Unknown in our libraries now? I'm looking through my library and I can't find it.

I believe they take a while to backfill existing pre-order bonuses on steam.

UnderGlass:
Let the reviewers actually do their job and review the game before you buy it people! Whether it's almost assuredly a slam dunk is irrelevant. Pre-ordering, sight unseen is something we've become trained to do by the big publishers. It benefits no-one but their bottom line. And this belief that they can sell us the game, sometimes up to a year before it's finished, using gimmicks and marketing ploys ultimately hurts us, the customers in the long run.

Reviews are helpful and good, but they are no use if I am dead set on buying the game anyway. I have preordered very few games in my life, but this is one of them. I prefer seeing making my own judgement, especially since it has served me well so far.

Besides, I don't remember a single time that I really wanted to buy a game and the reviews convinced me otherwise.

Frostbite3789:

That's how you know a website is truly impartial and withouit bias; they report on the good and the bad. It's neither a promotion nor a damnation of the product. There's absolutely zero subjectivity in the text, it's simply a factual article intended to inform.

I really wasnt going to pre-order Infinite but hen I saw the whole presentation with Ken like yesterday and changed my mind. I mean I usually buy like 2 games a year (so I'm done for 2013 pretty early this season :D } but I was looking forward to this for so long. And I do feel happy about those free extras :]

Is the X-COM made by the same publisher or why would they give it away like that?

Porecomesis:

took a couple of days before bioshock 1 came through, and that was the first bonus, so would be the fastest. as it only reached its goal for xcom in the last 12 hours, it will likely take a few days again before anything shows up

Frostbite3789:

Because Jim represents the entire site's interests and opinions. And even in Jim's case, he was railing against preorder bonuses that offer worthless shit to make you think you're getting a good deal, and I'd like to think that getting a free $50 game with your $60 purchase doesn't fall under that category.

Nouw:
Tempting, but considering Steam charges more than the retail stores from around where I live for new games I think I'll pass.

Unless your stores charge nearly 50% of the cost, this is a better deal. Keep in mind that XCOM is still $50.

UnderGlass:
If you really want XCOM, buy XCOM. If you kinda want it or wouldn't mind, just wait 'till it's super-cheap during the summer sale or end of year, and buy it then. The DLC crap and the hats totally aren't worth it, forget them.

Why do you people only present Aliens:CM and Aliens:CM only as your example against preorders? That was a mess that was in development hell for years and years, and got screwed because gearbox didnt even care to make the game themselves. The people preordering it should know that a game stuck in development hell will probably suck badly.

This game is made by Irrational, we know that, and they have been releasing a lot of trailers and showed us a lot of content. So no, this has no relation to Aliens CM at all.

Frostbite3789:

At least in here you get 2 (great) games you already know that actually work, so it certainly isnt a very risky deal even if Bioshock Infinite sucks. I still wont preorder but I can see how a pre-order like this can work, if the bonuses were stuff for Bioshock Infinite then if the game sucked you were boned, but here you can still get something good out of it.

Porecomesis:

Prof.Beany:
I believe they take a while to backfill existing pre-order bonuses on steam.

suitepee7:
took a couple of days before bioshock 1 came through, and that was the first bonus, so would be the fastest. as it only reached its goal for xcom in the last 12 hours, it will likely take a few days again before anything shows up

Thank you both very much. I am now no longer paranoid.

I didn't have XCOM before and I thought I'd get Bioshock Infinite to get two games for the price of essentially one. I could've just gone with eBay but, front door or back, one gets in either way so I didn't see much of a difference.

BernardoOne:
Why do you people only present Aliens:CM and Aliens:CM only as your example against pre-orders? That was a mess that was in development hell for years and years, and got screwed because gearbox didnt even care to make the game themselves. The people pre-ordering it should know that a game stuck in development hell will probably suck badly.

This game is made by Irrational, we know that, and they have been releasing a lot of trailers and showed us a lot of content. So no, this has no relation to Aliens CM at all.

I'm not sure what "people" you think I'm with, but obviously I pointed it out because ACM is such a recent and egregious example. Gearbox is a reputable (and like-able) company, with a couple of smash hits under their belts too. They presented an extremely rosy picture of the game's development and general state. They showed extended and intentionally misleading footage to market it as best they could before release. Carefully prepared 'slices' of game-play were even previewed by journalists. Yet no one knew (or told) the true state of the game, or the appalling development problems before release. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that all those Aliens fans can see how they were played.

My point isn't about the quality of this or that game. For the record I think Infinite will knock it out of the park. But lets not pretend that Levine and Co haven't shown us shit. They've prepared and curated all the bestest, shinyest slivers of game and stitched them together into a bunch of rousing trailers. They've shown journos gagged with non-disclosure agreements, the same sections of polished up game a few times. I don't see why Infinite, like every other game for that matter, shouldn't have to pay it's dues first in the review circuit before being purchased. It's simply the principle that, if we show the big publishers they can really move units selling this way, then another ACM debacle (and a lot of injured customers) is inevitable.

As an earlier poster said: It encourages the publishers to focus on playing numbers and marketing games, rather than making good videogames and creating long-term goodwill.

BernardoOne:

UnderGlass:

Why do you people only present Aliens:CM and Aliens:CM only as your example against preorders? That was a mess that was in development hell for years and years, and got screwed because gearbox didnt even care to make the game themselves. The people preordering it should know that a game stuck in development hell will probably suck badly.

we had suspicions, but people tend to hope for the better.
even with duke nukem forever.
and assassins creed 3.
and marvel vs. capcom 3
and dragon age 2.
and dead island.

oh man, this is getting sad...

Yeah, it's time for me to pre-order this game. I have been curious about it for a while and it looks beautiful. X-Com is a game I have wanted for a long time, but I have put off getting. I see an opportunity to get both at once so sign me up.

As good as this deal is, if we look at previous examples of post released games, you end up getting much better deals two months or so down the line than what you can get at preorder. There's a good chance it will be possible to pick up Bioshock, X-COM, and Bioshock Infinite at ~60 usd or less shopping around for deals later after release, so why preorder at all?

Albeit, this preorder is still a step up from most, since one could hypothetically argue they are doing it for the other game and Infinite is the bonus, even though I think that is a little crazy.

Well, I've been thinking about preordering the game, but after having burned myself a few times with preorders in recent years I will not preorder major releases anymore.

I'll wait for release and see if the game is worth buying.

Getting XCOM is tempting, but I just don't want to support these business practices anymore...

Colt47:
As good as this deal is, if we look at previous examples of post released games, you end up getting much better deals two months or so down the line than what you can get at preorder. There's a good chance it will be possible to pick up Bioshock, X-COM, and Bioshock Infinite at ~60 usd or less shopping around for deals later after release, so why preorder at all?

Albeit, this preorder is still a step up from most, since one could hypothetically argue they are doing it for the other game and Infinite is the bonus, even though I think that is a little crazy.

Show me somewhere I can get infinite and Xcom for under $45 in the near future (that's how much infinite and xcom each cost on steam here in the UK). They're both games I really want to play, was going to buy Xcom (finally have money!) and then saw this.

Huh, I just looked on amazon (US) and infinite is $60 for the PC. I suppose it makes less sense to preorder over there.

It's certainly a good deal for me personally, and I have some problems with the pre-order culture that games suffer from, but make all decisions on a case-by-case basis.

Gabe wouldn't allow this if he thought the game sucked right?
Right?

TheEvilCheese:

Colt47:

Show me somewhere I can get infinite and Xcom for under $45 in the near future (that's how much infinite and xcom each cost on steam here in the UK). They're both games I really want to play, was going to buy Xcom (finally have money!) and then saw this.

Huh, I just looked on amazon (US) and infinite is $60 for the PC. I suppose it makes less sense to preorder over there.

It's certainly a good deal for me personally, and I have some problems with the pre-order culture that games suffer from, but make all decisions on a case-by-case basis.

Amazon would be the place I'd say to look, but Green man Gaming and other places have started making me broaden out my search patterns. I can't really tell you the information you are asking for yet since it's a bit of a pot luck where a deal is going to show up. Heck, steam might run a special that ends up making that number happen at some point down the line.

It's not a bad preorder bonus. Just that in the long run it's safer and probably going to cost about the same to just let the game get reviewed and have the launch bugs worked out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here