Final Fantasy X HD PS3 Reportedly Includes Final Fantasy X-2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Final Fantasy X HD PS3 Reportedly Includes Final Fantasy X-2

When the high-definition re-release of Final Fantasy X hits the PlayStation 3, it will include an additional title, Final Fantasy X-2.

That news comes courtesy of Japan's wildly popular Jump magazine (courtesy the translations of the reliable Nipponophiles at Siliconera). According to the original piece, both Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 will be based on their more feature-rich International Edition iterations, and most crucially, each will feature improved HD graphics designed to make both games more palatable on modern HDTVs.

Further, Jump claims that owners of Sony's Vita handheld will also see access to the two HD re-releases, though instead of appearing on a single disc as with the PlayStation 3 version, each game will be sold separately. There's currently no official release date for these games, nor any notion of how much they might cost (either as a set on the PS3 or as individual titles on the Vita), though if history is anything to go by we'd expect the PS3 game to be priced right around $40 -- less than a brand new, big budget game, yet more than your typical PlayStation Network release. Individual pricing on the Vita may not directly mirror the costs associated with the PlayStation 3 release, but again, we're speculating here.

Obviously fans should be excited by this news, but we caution you not to get too psyched for this release. Being a Japanese magazine, it's entirely possible that Jump's report only applies to that country. We'd be very surprised to hear that publisher Square Enix would alter this arrangement for the American release of Final Fantasy X HD (especially as the vast majority of the necessary localization work has already been completed) but stranger things have happened and we won't truly know what the company has planned until it officially confirms this idea one way or the other.

Source: Siliconera

Not the best sequel, but hey I'll take it... if they're offering.

Now I'd be wondering if they make this game Cross Buy for the Vita like Sly 4 was, but... this is Squeenix we're talking about. I'm not holding my breath.

Did anyone actually want a re-release of X-2? I like the bonus ending (I like it when something has a happy ending) but the rest of the game is crap. Whenever I replay X I just go and watch the X-2 bonus ending on youtube so not seeing the appeal here.

X-2 wasn't as great as X in my opinion but a free game is a free game. Though I'm not sure if $40 is worth it though, even with both included.

That reminds me, I need to try and get it running on my PC with the emulator, and possibly some texture upgrades to go with it for free.

For all that people are going to lay into X-2 in this thread, I still think it's got one of the best battle systems of any game. Worth playing for that alone IMO.

Anyways, back to the hatin'.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
For all that people are going to lay into X-2 in this thread, I still think it's got one of the best battle systems of any game. Worth playing for that alone IMO.

Yeah sorry but there are a lot more flaws in this game than you seem willing to adress.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

I wouldn't say it was the best but it was highly overlooked, best use of the FF job system to date, as long as you ignore the transformation scenes it's all good.

You know, i never played Final Fantasy X until this year, because i decided HEY, i might give this classic game a try and bought it.
And i got to the Airship proper, being able to travel anywhere... and i have been trying to do the sidequests and play the minigames, and i found out both are horribly designed and the minigames are frustrating.
As for the characters they're...paper thin.
The story isn't even that good. And no, i don't hate Tidus, i just hate how little developed this characters get.
Also the game is stupidly easy...well, it is until you go and fight the bonus bosses, then it becomes Shin Megami Tensei designed by Hitler. Pretty much making it necessary for you to grind yourself to the maximum AND having the best weapons available which sadly are tied to the goddamn minigames...In Shin Megami Tensei you could beat any boss with just the right strategy atleast.
It's just a dumb unlikeable game, i don't really get the fuss about it. And no. I won't be buying this regardless, as i already own the International Version.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

X-2 has probably got the best battle system of any FF game except maybe XII.

That said I had problems with the story and the fact that one of the most useful dresspheres is locked away behind that stupid coin minigame.

Edit@ I still say a prequel would be nice.

I wasnt expecting X-2 being included. I wouldn't miss it if it weren't there and I have nothing against its inclusion.

well thanks nice of Square Enix and I hope the final fantasy X hd remake will do well.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Such good news. Please do it for NA, Square Enix. Please, oh, please. I love both games!

I wanna see FFX-3 involving the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle. We may know how it would end but dammit would be awesome to play. And you know I have an idea for an alternate ending for the war.
But in regards to this article I liked X-2 and if it IS the international version released this time in full glory to U.S.A. gamers I would seriously be thrilled. I own the JP version of X-2 for PS2 and let me tell you I cannot play that +Last Mission for the life of me in Japanese. (I bought it for the extra dress spheres. They were cool.)

First of, I've been waiting for my favorite game to be released on a handheld for about *looks at calendar* 10 years now. I am planing on buying Vita in the nearest future, so yay for me. I just hope they will release an international version of it.

Also, about X-2: maybe you'll have to buy X and with it you get the code for digital copy of X-2. Would be nice.

And about pricing: drop it to 30$ and hell, maybe I'll buy PS3 AND PS Vita versions. Being able to transmit saves freely between platforms would also be great: "Hey! You want to level up but don't have enough time home? Then continue your grinding while using public transport! Or a lunch break! Or whenever you wish!"
But not cloud saving. Anything but that.

Didn't really care for X-2 to be honest. I mean the class system was kinda interesting, but everything else...

Yeah, I don't think I even made it halfway through before I stopped.

I did like the original game though at least. Not nearly as much as IX but it's still a good game in it's own right.

If this comes out while I'm still gonna be doing my Let's Play of Final Fantasy X International then Square Enix officially is trolling me. While I was doing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix I discovered 3 weeks after it debuted that Square was making an HD remake of Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. I was angry because I even translated the entire game to English. Now this happens too! Square, why is it that every import I get from you you decide to make HD remakes! >.<

I must be one of the few people in existence who prefers X-2 over X. If there's a way I can just get X-2, I'll be happy. Otherwise, I guess that's another game I'll own that I'll never play.

Sounds great to me! I've never played X-2 but I've been curious for a while now. If X-2 and X are separate on the PSV though it doesn't really give me any incentive to grab a Vita...I want to want a Vita and I've felt this way since it was launched.

i already own all the main series ff non mmo games so I'll pass unless they add some really juicy goodies plan to start a marathon soon

X-2 was good, polarising for sure, but enjoyable enough to make me happy about this. All I need now is a solid release date!

wow a free Frisbee... way to get people outside and active Square!

It'd be pretty cool in Square-Enix did this. I mean, they don't need to, seeing as Final Fantasy X is bloody brilliant anyway, but including the sequel would be neat and I certainly wouldn't complain. Then again, I am one of those odd folk who enjoyed X-2. As long as they give me an EU release date, I'll be happy.

Gizmo1990:
Did anyone actually want a re-release of X-2? I like the bonus ending (I like it when something has a happy ending) but the rest of the game is crap. Whenever I replay X I just go and watch the X-2 bonus ending on youtube so not seeing the appeal here.

Seeing as how the game play in X2 was better then X.

I'd also go as far as to say many of the main characters were less annoying.
SEE: No TEE-DUS, or 'laughing scene'.

Hey i'm am perfectly fine with this on all levels. X-2 was not the best game in the main franchise but still it was playable and had some memorable parts.

I may have to buy a PS3 now. X-2 is the shit.

Now I'm just waiting for the inevitable Versus 13 and KH3 comments...

Tanis:

SEE: No TEE-DUS, or 'laughing scene'.

Do you remember what happened literally 10 seconds after the awkward laugh scene?

Um... that laughing scene is supposed to be awks, guys. That was the point. Just sayin'. Also, no matter how many times people try to convince me otherwise, TIE-DUS still sounds a helluva lot better than TEE-DUS, so that's what he is in my books. Didn't realize that was wrong until Dissidia came out, so that was what I always called him.

OT: Look, I thought X-2 was all right, but I don't care at this point. Give me a release window for the damn things. Being able to carry Final Fantasy X around on my Vita will make me the happiest gamer in existence for a while. IT'S ALL I WANT IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW, SQUARE!

Ahhh, I can't wait for this HD collection to finally be released. FFX was the last Final Fantasy game I loved all the way through. A time frame would be nice... it's also sad that I'm frothing at the mouth for news about a game that came out around 12 years ago, while not caring at all about anything new that's related to Final Fantasy.

Also, I liked FFX-2's combat. That whole game was a big piece of fan fiction garbage, but at least it had the decency to be kind of fun to play. If you ignore the dress up thing. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go back to playing Secret World so I can farm enough money for that sweet ass tux I've been looking at...

Captcha: Do you drink gin?

How else am I supposed to make an awesome martini?!

Meh, I gave up waiting on this a while ago and bought the original for 2. At Blockbusters no less. Seems the shop in my area is still miraculously open, despite being empty every time I go there.

Uh... wow...I was expecting much worse reactions.
Really people? X and X-2, the two games that STARTED the downfall of Final Fantasy, and everyone's creaming themselves over it? Granted, X was.....playable? in a pinch...and X-2 had a half decent battle system...? But are our expectations of FF so low that even these two turds being re-released in HD is such a big goddamn thing? Hell, the most enduring entertainment value from these two games is theory making in that "Tidus' name was never spoken, not a once in X, even in voiceless dialog. Is that a plot point?" (It's not, Squeenix isn't smart enough for that.)

I mean, I'm not going to bang on the "We need a FF7 remake!" drum, but if we're remaking old, less than perfect FF games, why not go to 8 or 9?

However, to play the devil's advocate here, it IS nice to see Squeenix following Yahtzee's idea of "Remake bad games, not good ones." Even thought this isn't a REMAKE it's a RE-RELEASE, so, so much for that.

CardinalPiggles:
Though I'm not sure if $40 is worth it though, even with both included.

Considering $40 for an HD collection usually gets you 3 games, I'm going to say that no, it isn't worth it. $40 for 3 games is $13.33 per game, so price this at $26.66 and maybe I'll think about it, Square.

We shouldn't be surprised though, this is just more Square Enix money grubbing. They can't microtransaction the hell out of you on consoles, but they can offer you a 2 game HD collection for the price of a 3 game HD collection!

Doomsdaylee:
Really people? X and X-2, the two games that STARTED the downfall of Final Fantasy, and everyone's creaming themselves over it? Granted, X was.....playable? in a pinch...and X-2 had a half decent battle system...? But are our expectations of FF so low that even these two turds being re-released in HD is such a big goddamn thing? Hell, the most enduring entertainment value from these two games is theory making in that "Tidus' name was never spoken, not a once in X, even in voiceless dialog. Is that a plot point?" (It's not, Squeenix isn't smart enough for that.)

I mean, I'm not going to bang on the "We need a FF7 remake!" drum, but if we're remaking old, less than perfect FF games, why not go to 8 or 9?

However, to play the devil's advocate here, it IS nice to see Squeenix following Yahtzee's idea of "Remake bad games, not good ones." Even thought this isn't a REMAKE it's a RE-RELEASE, so, so much for that.

I really think that 10 and 10-2 get a pass because they where the first final fantasy games to have full voice acting, next to real-life facial movements and cgi that was unheard of in 2001-04. Listen I do understand your frustration in this area. Still I really consider these games to be the last true in main franchise. This is due in part of if it's development team that worked on the games which are sadly no longer at square.

Doomsdaylee:

Think the whole not saying the name thing was a failed attempt to do the whole "insert yourself as the main character" thing games like to do. (Which imo in itself a dumb idea, so it's failing at a bad idea, ugh.)Of course that just made parts feel just pointlessly unnatural, and no idea why the entered name can't even show up in text. Overall it was a really stupid idea, sad that no one in development noticed it.

As for X-2 I enjoyed it enough, but like X I can see the PS2 version on my shelf while I'm typing this. Also like X it'll need a lot more then slightly improved graphics for me to spend money on, otherwise I can find better new games to buy.

Ewwe, no, keep your X2 away from my X. I like to pretend it never happened thankyou.

I'm not super excited for X-2 nor super upset, but I just want them to hurry up and release X already. At this rate the PS4 will have come out and I've got to weigh up buying a game for a dead console

Cecilthedarkknight_234:

Doomsdaylee:

I really think that 10 and 10-2 get a pass because they where the first final fantasy games to have full voice acting, next to real-life facial movements and cgi that was unheard of in 2001-04. Listen I do understand your frustration in this area. Still I really consider these games to be the last true in main franchise. This is due in part of if it's development team that worked on the games which are sadly no longer at square.

True enough, and as I said, X was the start of the downfall. It wasn't unplayable (XI-XIII), but it wasn't gold. I just question why they'd re-release, instead of remake, and thus fix the errors that were there before.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here