Big Deal on the Internet: EA "Player Appreciation" Sale

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Big Deal on the Internet: EA "Player Appreciation" Sale

Hey check it out, a big gaming publisher appreciates you for buying games from them. What a surprise.

Today's top deal makes it clear there's no point buying AAA titles at full price (at least during release month). Origin just launched their "Player Appreciation Sale" with up to 70% off 200 titles. Funny enough, the sale was just called the "Origin Spring Sale" during the advance email notice we received last weekend, but now its all about EA player appreciation.

Now, not everything in the EA sale is jaw dropping, but there are a few deals in this post worth noting. Perhaps the hottest deal is last month's release Crysis 3, which dropped to $29.99 with free shipping on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. That's a new low by $10 and essentially half price for a big title.

Dead Space 3 also dropped to $29.99. Solid price considering it launched only one month ago (February 19th) and has received a respectable 4 out of 5 rating on The Escapist and an overall 78/100 rating on Metacritic.

Groupon has a sale on DMC: Devil May Cry, $34.99 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. That's the lowest price by $13 since its January 15th release. The next best price online is Amazon for $48, but elsewhere the game is $50-$60.

Since the November 18th release of the Wii U, we haven't seen a whole lot in terms of discount prices or bonus offers. But this week, Target.com is offering a bonus $50 gift card with the Wii U Console 32GB Deluxe Set (includes Nintendo Land), essentially netting you an extra free game.

This week GameFly has a "Spring Break PC Sale" with up to 75% off select PC downloads. Every day GameFly refreshes their batch of deals. Check out the full list here. Most games are either at or near their all-time lows. For example, Hitman: Absolution is $12.50 (list $49.99). The previous low was a few weeks ago in a 24 hour sale for $10, but normally the game sells for $30 and up.

This week Humble Bundle introduced a "weekly sale" feature, with individual titles up for grabs instead of only bundles. For today, they have the popular action RPG Bastion on sale for a $1 minimum purchase price. Pay more than the average and you'll receive extra goodies such as soundtrack, art work, and ringtones.

Big Deals of the Week

Crysis 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC Download) - $29.99 at Origin.

Next best is $55 at JR.com. Deal expires March 26.

Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC Download) - $29.99 at Origin.

List is $60. Deal expires March 26.

DMC: Devil May Cry (Xbox 360, PS3) - $34.99 at Groupon.

Next best is $48 at Amazon. Deal expires March 20.

Bastion - Pay What You Want at Humble Bundle

List is $15. Pay more than average = digital goods. Pay $25 for physical goodies.

Wii U Console 32GB Deluxe Set - $349.99 at Target.

Bundles with Nintendo Land and bonus of $50 Target gift card. Deal expires March 23.

Gamefly Spring Break PC Sale

Lots of games on sale at up to 75% off. New deals everyday until Friday.

Origin

Assassin's Creed 3 (PC Download) - $34.99.

Next best is $50 at GameStop. Deal expires March 26.

FIFA Soccer 13 (Wii U) - $29.99.

Next best is $50 at GameStop. Deal expires March 26.

Battlefield 3 Premium Edition (Xbox 360, PS3, PC Download) - $29.99.

Includes the Battlefield 3 base game and premium content. Next best is $58 at JR.com. Deal expires March 26.

Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection (PC Download) - $14.99.

Next best is $30 at GameStop. Deal expires March 26.

The Walking Dead Game (PC Download) - $10.

Next best is $25 at GameFly. Deal expires March 26.

Mass Effect 3 (PC Download) - $9.99.

List is $20. Deal expires March 26.

GameFly

Max Payne 3 (PC Download, Xbox 360, PS3) - $14.99.

List is $40. Deal expires today.

Hitman: Absolution (PC Download) - $12.49.

Next best is $40 at Green Man Gaming. Deal expires today.

Green Man Gaming

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold (PC Download) - $13.60.

Next best is $50 at Steam. Deal expires March 21. This is a good price but it should be noted thatGameFly will have it for $12.50 on Friday, March 20th.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC Download) - $7.49.

Next best is $30 at GameStop.

Alien Spidy (PC Download) - $6.80.

List is $10. Deal expires March 22.

Shattered Haven (PC Download) - $6.

List is $10. Deal expires March 22.

Bulletstorm (PC Download) - $4.99.

Next best is $15 at Amazon.

Amazon

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Wii U) - $37.49.

List is $50. Game released today, March 19th.

Cars, Jets and Dirt Bike Pack (PC Download) - $14.99.

Next best is $28. Deal expires today. Games activate on Steam.

Skylanders Giants Starter Pack (PS3, Wii) - $39.99.

Next best is $55 at Best Buy.

Best Buy

Skylanders Giants Starter Pack (Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS) - $54.99.

Next best is $63 at JR.com. Deal expires March 23.

Far Cry 3 (PS3, Xbox 360) - $29.99.

Next best is $57 at Overstock.com. Deal expires March 23.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Nintendo 3DS) - $19.99.

Next best is $33 at Amazon. Deal expires today.

Pokemon Rumble Blast (Nintendo 3DS) - $9.99.

Next best is $34 at Target. Deal expires March 23.

Saints Row The Third (PS3) - $9.99.

Next best is $31 at Amazon. Deal expires March 23.

Gaming Hardware

Dell XPS 8500 + 23" LED Monitor - $839.99 at Dell Home.

Specs: Ivy Bridge Quad Core i7-3770, Radeon HD 7570, and 8GB RAM. List is $1,175. Deal expires March 20.

Samsung Series 7 Gamer Laptop - $1,399 at Microsoft.

Model NP700G7C-S02US, specs: Core i7-3630QM, 1GB RAM, 1.5 TB 7200RPM HDD + 8GB SSD, GeForce GTX 675M, and Blu-ray. Next best is $1,600 at NewEgg.

PlayStation Vita 3G / WiFi with 8GB Memory Card - $249.99 at Sony.

Next best is $280 at Walmart.

Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard - $49.99 at NewEgg.

Next best is $95 at Amazon. Deal expires March 24.

PlayStation Vita 16GB Memory Card - $29.99 at Best Buy.

List is $60. Gotta love the extra plastic parts making this Vita-only.

EA could be offering to pay me to play their published games and I still wouldn't take another one.

Clive Howlitzer:
EA could be offering to pay me to play their published games and I still wouldn't take another one.

^ This. Also you notice that these are the same games that lead to the VP having to leave his post in shame? Because well they were ALL poorly executed? Yeah EA I do not want your shame games.

Nah.

I mean come on.
We all know this is a desperate PR stunt to make people stop focusing on SimCity.
I wont give them another dime.

Noooo. EA you are making a big mistake. With a sale like this, you are encouraging gamers to wait for yor next failure and inevitable apreaciation sales. Knowing you guys they won't have to wait for long.

Won't somebody think of IP's?

There seems to be an inconsistency with this article's title

dealzon:
Big Deal on the Internet: EA "Potential Pirate Appreciation" Sale

There, fixed it for ya!

Fun fact: It took ME3 to be reduced to 16% of its original price for me to consider purchasing it. I'd wager Bioware dun fumbled on that front.

and I still see nothing I'd want to buy.

Ahh, the smell of desperation. Didn't you say something about sales like this EA?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-06-david-demartini-origin-wants-to-be-the-hub

Thats it!

Gotta wait till Thursday to snag Sonic and Sega AllStars Racing Transformed for cheap on Gamefly...AND it supposedly installs on STEAM...

Only around 40 hours to go...

I'm holding out largely because most of those games seem to be there for the reason of selling DLC.

MrBrightside919:
Gotta wait till Thursday to snag Sonic and Sega AllStars Racing Transformed for cheap on Gamefly...AND it supposedly installs on STEAM...

$15 is a good price for Sonic & Sega AllStars, given its usually above $20.

Friday's Civ 5 Gold for $12.50 is also tasty for Civ fans.

Looks like EA finally realized the real value of Steam sales (getting users hooked into their system), and is emulating them.
Good for them.

Difference between Steam sales and Origin sales is where my wallet goes. Some steam sales I have trouble resisting while when I look at Origin I don't even consider most games either because its been too long and my need to play them is gone or they made too many stupid decisions with said games.

I also half expected SimCity to be like 10-20 bucks off in this "appreciation sale".

Well, despite all this hatred of the Origin sale, I have to ask if anyone knows how well the C&C collection plays on Windows 7?

dealzon:

MrBrightside919:

$15 is a good price for Sonic & Sega AllStars, given its usually above $20.

Friday's Civ 5 Gold for $12.50 is also tasty for Civ fans.

It's a great price considering the game goes for 30 dollars and it's being offered for half off...

Thursday also offers the Civ5 expansion Gods and Kings for around 8 dollars...

IF Orgin had been installed on my computer, It wouldn't be now with the news of the easy hacking issue they have.

If you really want to appreciate your customers EA, don't milk them for all their cash with stupid micro transactions, or Bullshit DRM.

I came to the realization that they don't have anything I want. At least until Dragon Age 3 comes out, and even then I'll probably wait for a serious price drop.
Too bad that this sale is only for EA games, as I would've bought Arkham City at 50% discount on Origin due to it being unavailable to my region on Steam.

sadly i don't see any games on there that i want (already have me3)

they can keep shoveling these games at me, but until the DLC gets marked down they won't see a cent from me, when the DLC ends up costing more then the original game then i say fuck that.

Yes EA have horrible consumer practices, and yes they're hypocrite's. But do we really need to get up in arms about them having a sale?

Well, now I just feel silly about buying Crysis 3 for $60.

Really, really silly.

The moral of the story (as Jim already stated in one of his recent videos) is of course...
1) Stop pre-ordering games.
2) Stop buying games on release day.
3) Wait at least 2 weeks after release, preferably 3-4+ weeks if it's an EA title. You will love yourself for it.

Lesson learned Jim, lesson learned...

The part of me that hates EA and Origin wants me to ignore this sale and tell EA that they can't buy me that easily.

...But the part of me that loves Mass Effect wants me to take advantage of that ten dollar deal on ME3 so I can finally have closure.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Well, despite all this hatred of the Origin sale, I have to ask if anyone knows how well the C&C collection plays on Windows 7?

so when it was initially offered on Amazon for sale, it was offered as a digital download pack but that apparently wasn't explicitly clear. anyways people got the soundtrack CD along with CD keys + requiring Origin download and were mighty pissed.

reading reviews.. it seems if you can get over the fact that you'll have to use Origin as a client (duh) and a relatively fast net connection to dl each of the games, it should work without any major issue. just FYI that multiplier doesn't necessary work for all titles.

personally what I'll do is read all reviews of the collection at major retailers and see if you can deal with the potential troubles.

Hey guys, we have all this DLC around the place so we'll be givi... we'll be selling these games for three-quart... we'll be discounting these games so you can enjoy all the awesome, full price DLC.

I love how a small portion of people on this site just see it as EA doing what Valve did, and others say it's just EA throwing out games they consider bad.

If you don't like the games they're offering for cheap, that's fine. Don't however start acting like a dick and saying EA is only doing this with their shit games and that EA is still bad for doing it for their shit games. Yes, it's probably a reaction to the Sim City debaucle, but you know what, they could always do nothing. They could always just give the customer the finger and not do anything. So, if you don't like EA that's great, you're free to your opinion, but don't demonize EVERYTHING they do.

Doom972:
I came to the realization that they don't have anything I want. At least until Dragon Age 3 comes out, and even then I'll probably wait for a serious price drop.
Too bad that this sale is only for EA games, as I would've bought Arkham City at 50% discount on Origin due to it being unavailable to my region on Steam.

Arkham City GOTY is $12 during this current sale?

Re: DA3, while I finished DA2 very fast... I think I'm only going to play the 3rd one just to see what the ending and connection between the Champion and the Warden. The trend BioWare is going though I'm going to keep my expectation in check...

Lvl 64 Klutz:

It works perfectly mainly because the idea behind this was to make all the the games work on Win 7. Can't speak for the very first ones since I haven't played those since I had nothing but bad memories from those games back in the day.

bug_of_war:
I love how a small portion of people on this site just see it as EA doing what Valve did, and others say it's just EA throwing out games they consider bad.

If you don't like the games they're offering for cheap, that's fine. Don't however start acting like a dick and saying EA is only doing this with their shit games and that EA is still bad for doing it for their shit games. Yes, it's probably a reaction to the Sim City debaucle, but you know what, they could always do nothing. They could always just give the customer the finger and not do anything. So, if you don't like EA that's great, you're free to your opinion, but don't demonize EVERYTHING they do.

A sale is a sale, I agree. But to be honest while you are right to say that they "could" do nothing, the only reason that they are not is because it isn't in their best interests to do so. Their latest huge titles have been mauled by fans and critics alike, they are bleeding cash and are getting backlash for their decisions.

They need good publicity right now, and if they didn't, I doubt we'd be seeing all these sales and free games.

Although as we said before: A sale is a sale, so people shouldn't complain.

A sale may be a sale, but I'm still going to complain.

Not about EA, at least not more than to say I'm very tired of their crap.

Escapist, between this and Wishlist trying to sell me things, I'm starting to wonder if your stock has gone publis recently.

The Kingdoms of Amalur sale...already expired.

You know, we're not all in the US

And when was it cool to advertise in the forums?
I already have adds at the top and bottom of my screen as well as Captchas trying to make me gamble

brilliant tactic, they take a sale that was going to happen anyway, and merely rebrand it as "player appreciation" oh thank you EA, thank you so much for allowing us the opportunity to partake in you crap at a lower price.

I am exaggerating of course, a sale combined with the free game for the sim city users is actually not a bad way of "patching" things up(besides an actual patch for the game). But I think it is kind of sleazy renaming a sale as "player appreciation"

Frostbite3789:
The Kingdoms of Amalur sale...already expired.

Yeah, I just saw that too - just missed it. Pity, it garnered good enough reviews that $7.49 easily fell within the 'impulse buy' realm for me.

Still, I think I'll go for the C&C collection, and that Arkham City one Dealzon mentioned in a post above is incredibly tempting...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here