Big Deal on the Internet: EA "Player Appreciation" Sale

Pages PREV 1 2

Legion:

A sale is a sale, I agree. But to be honest while you are right to say that they "could" do nothing, the only reason that they are not is because it isn't in their best interests to do so. Their latest huge titles have been mauled by fans and critics alike, they are bleeding cash and are getting backlash for their decisions.

They need good publicity right now, and if they didn't, I doubt we'd be seeing all these sales and free games.

Although as we said before: A sale is a sale, so people shouldn't complain.

Yes this is in EA's best interest, but it is in EVERY big business' interest to keep their consumers happy. I don't see how EA can be demonise for doing something that other companies do frequently, it just doesn't make sense to slap the hand offering you some form of compensation in order to get you to like them. If someone screwed you over in some way and then gave you something as recompense, a decent human being would not punch the other person in the face, if you didn't want it, you would politely decline. This is what I see too many people do, instead of just saying, "Thanks, but no thanks" people seem to say, "YOU EVIL EVIL PEOPLE! YOU SCREWED UP IN ONE AREA OF A GAME THAT I DIDN'T BUY BECAUSE I NEVER BY ANY OF YOUR CRAP BECAUSE I HAVE SUPER GOOD MORALS AND TOTALLY ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR THE LITTLE GUY, AND NOW YOU'RE TRYING TO APOLOGIZE? FUCK YOU I HATE YOU, YOUR A BIG MEANY AND I HOPE YOU DIE".

You've got to be joking!

They can't really have called it the "Player Appreciation Sale!"

They are literally trying to buy fan appreciation, because they sucked so much recently?

While a possible plus for the consumer, this is the biggest "faceless corporation" move they've done yet!

"Beep boop, consumer appreciation down 50% percent, engage plan: "Sale to make consumer happy", beep beep."

Akratus:
You've got to be joking!

They are literally trying to buy fan appreciation, because they sucked so much recently?

While a possible plus for the consumer, this is the biggest "faceless corporation" move they've done yet!

"Beep boop, consumer appreciation down 50% percent, engage plan: "Sale to make consumer happy", beep beep."

Guess Steam better stop having sales then. Because they aren't having those sales for themselves, they have them because it keeps people around. And I mean, only souless corporations have sales apparently, right?

Nghtgnt:

Yeah, I just saw that too - just missed it. Pity, it garnered good enough reviews that $7.49 easily fell within the 'impulse buy' realm for me.

I already own it, but my roommate has wanted to get it, but not at $30. Twice I've seen a sale, the Steam one this past weekend, he was out of town and I forgot. And now this one expired within 12 hours of being posted here.

Frostbite3789:

Akratus:
You've got to be joking!

Guess Steam better stop having sales then. Because they aren't having those sales for themselves, they have them because it keeps people around. And I mean, only souless corporations have sales apparently, right?

It's not the fact that it's a sale.

It's that they called it the "PLAYER APPRECIATION SALE" AKA "Please appreciate us because we give you a sale because we need your appreciation to improve our business, this is not a tactic just your old pal ea giving you some sweet games now appreciate us remember?"

Akratus:

It's that they called it the "PLAYER APPRECIATION SALE" AKA "Please appreciate us because we give you a sale because we need your appreciation to improve our business, this is not a tactic just your old pal ea giving you some sweet games now appreciate us remember?"

Yep. We've reached critical levels of EA Hate Boner on this forum.

I guess a "This wouldn't be happening if we weren't proven to be unapologetic liars about our product sale" would have been too long

Frostbite3789:

Akratus:

Yep. We've reached critical levels of EA Hate Boner on this forum.

I don't hate EA. I dislike a single thing EA does and suddenly I have a hate boner for them? How about you don't jump to conclusions?

I don't hate ea. I'm indifferent to them. It's just the fact that they are plainly labeling this sale as one to please gamers only because of the situation they're in.

If Valve released episode 3, and it had to be played only online with shoddy servers and the programming was faulty, I doubt Valve would start a "Player Hapiness" Sale.

They'd fucking do something about their game.

ehh, there is nothing there that really tempts me, the sale prices are really not that noteworthy when compared to steam sales where I have made a few compulsion buys because "wow that's cheap", whereas EA it's "ok there is some money off but it's not really that huge a drop and then there's the dlc for some of those games."

Of course the $ may be throwing off my money savvy since I use and think dollars is just under the double of the pound (correct me if I'm wrong here).

bug_of_war:

Legion:

A sale is a sale, I agree. But to be honest while you are right to say that they "could" do nothing, the only reason that they are not is because it isn't in their best interests to do so. Their latest huge titles have been mauled by fans and critics alike, they are bleeding cash and are getting backlash for their decisions.

They need good publicity right now, and if they didn't, I doubt we'd be seeing all these sales and free games.

Although as we said before: A sale is a sale, so people shouldn't complain.

Yes this is in EA's best interest, but it is in EVERY big business' interest to keep their consumers happy. I don't see how EA can be demonise for doing something that other companies do frequently, it just doesn't make sense to slap the hand offering you some form of compensation in order to get you to like them. If someone screwed you over in some way and then gave you something as recompense, a decent human being would not punch the other person in the face, if you didn't want it, you would politely decline. This is what I see too many people do, instead of just saying, "Thanks, but no thanks" people seem to say, "YOU EVIL EVIL PEOPLE! YOU SCREWED UP IN ONE AREA OF A GAME THAT I DIDN'T BUY BECAUSE I NEVER BY ANY OF YOUR CRAP BECAUSE I HAVE SUPER GOOD MORALS AND TOTALLY ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR THE LITTLE GUY, AND NOW YOU'RE TRYING TO APOLOGIZE? FUCK YOU I HATE YOU, YOUR A BIG MEANY AND I HOPE YOU DIE".

True that people should be given another chance however they've just done so much bad and questionable stuff that a lot of people (myself included) do not trust them, it's simple as that. They have established a recent history of really bad decisions and practices and now, because of 1 sale (not a particularly great 1 either) we are supposed to say all is forgiven? They are going to have to do a LOT more than that to earn back any trust from me at least. A start will be seeing dragon age 3 and what EA's policies have done there, whether they still continue the bad practices or have tried to improve upon their previous reputation.

Upbeat Zombie:
Yes EA have horrible consumer practices, and yes they're hypocrite's. But do we really need to get up in arms about them having a sale?

I must agree, sure EA suck and all that but let's not get silly now.

I'm actually wondering if Ricetto's departure was just the more visible part of a larger change in EA.

Akratus:
You've got to be joking!

I agree. Just call it a 'SALE'!. 'Player Appreciation Sale' the day after they fire their top suit, on the back of their Sim City fiasco, reeks of desperation.

A poor use of spin.. they should just call it 'we're sorry, we messed up, please like us SALE'.... but that would involve admitting fault. EA can't do that.

"Player Appreciation Sale" my ass.

How about "player appreciation" when you don't involve it with money? Or how about having "player appreciation" without you releasing a completely broken game AND trying to justify always-online DRM? Or when you release the same damn sports game, just with a different roster? Or when you aren't being complete hypocrites about your competition's successes?

You know when this "player" will appreciate EA? When it tanks and burns into the financial ground, that's when. They're about as good with games and rhetoric as Hammerpoint and Sergey Titov are; and both need to disappear from the gaming industry and quickly be forgotten to the far corners of time with the utmost of haste.

Frostbyte666:

True that people should be given another chance however they've just done so much bad and questionable stuff that a lot of people (myself included) do not trust them, it's simple as that. They have established a recent history of really bad decisions and practices and now, because of 1 sale (not a particularly great 1 either) we are supposed to say all is forgiven? They are going to have to do a LOT more than that to earn back any trust from me at least. A start will be seeing dragon age 3 and what EA's policies have done there, whether they still continue the bad practices or have tried to improve upon their previous reputation.

I totally understand the mistrust after a few of EA's recent decisions (to name some, DA2 dev time, Origin's awkward service, Sim City), however the things that they have done to try and improove their image show that they do take into account customer satisfaction. For example, EA allowed Bioware to release the Extended Cut for Mass Effect 3 for free (along with many multiplayer packs), have offered those whom originally purchased Sim City 1 in 8 free games, and have now come out with a Steam like sale offering it's customers cheaper prices. Personally I see EA as being just as good and just as bad as most companies, and to be honest, I think the way they dealt with the Sim City problem is much better than how Valve dealt with The War Z fiasco. So while you are fully entitled to not trusting EA, I find it unfair to crucify every action EA does as they have prooven time and time again that they are willing to do things to make some form of recompense for their fuck ups.

putowtin:
You know, we're not all in the US

And when was it cool to advertise in the forums?
I already have adds at the top and bottom of my screen as well as Captchas trying to make me gamble

This.
I find it odd that instead of linking to the origin store you link us to Dealzon. :\

Saints Row 3 Is only for 8.99 Euro on Steam for PC, so buy it there instead for 9.99 for the PS3. http://store.steampowered.com/app/55230/
Civ 5 Gold was only for 10 euro on Steam a while ago and will probably be again in the near future.

For the Dutch and Belgian visitors here I recommend Tweakers' Pricewatch. They don't keep track of Steam but they do track all regular retail and webstores.
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/

dealzon:

Doom972:
I came to the realization that they don't have anything I want. At least until Dragon Age 3 comes out, and even then I'll probably wait for a serious price drop.
Too bad that this sale is only for EA games, as I would've bought Arkham City at 50% discount on Origin due to it being unavailable to my region on Steam.

Arkham City GOTY is $12 during this current sale?

Re: DA3, while I finished DA2 very fast... I think I'm only going to play the 3rd one just to see what the ending and connection between the Champion and the Warden. The trend BioWare is going though I'm going to keep my expectation in check...

I looked at the Mac version accidently. Going to buy it now. Thank you very much.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Well, despite all this hatred of the Origin sale, I have to ask if anyone knows how well the C&C collection plays on Windows 7?

The older ones as in the original and red alert 1 didn't agree with my computer running XP so I would guess not that great with 7. Besides that though the rest worked perfectly.

requesting a link posting of the article in which EA says that sales exactly like this one devalue the industry as a whole. god, EA, you know it's bad when you do something nice and it just still pisses me off. it's like a relationship way past it's breaking point where every little thing just irritates the shit outta you about the other person.

I will not use Origin. I don't care what is exclusive to it. I don't care what deals they have. Just, no.

MrBrightside919:

It's a great price considering the game goes for 30 dollars and it's being offered for half off...

Thursday also offers the Civ5 expansion Gods and Kings for around 8 dollars...

Just FYI Steam has Sonic & All-Stars Racing for $14.99 today

No need to wait for the Thursday Gamefly deal :D

dealzon:

MrBrightside919:

It's a great price considering the game goes for 30 dollars and it's being offered for half off...

Thursday also offers the Civ5 expansion Gods and Kings for around 8 dollars...

Just FYI Steam has Sonic & All-Stars Racing for $14.99 today

No need to wait for the Thursday Gamefly deal :D

I know, I saw it...

Very convenient for me indeed

Mmm. I do love me some de-valued IP, I do.

'Course, Steam already had Far Cry 3 for $30 last week...

EA's kinda like an abusive husband right now, trying to convince us to take them back, trying to make us think they've changed, but they haven't, not really.

Still though a bargain is a bargain, doesn't mean you have to actually change your opinion about the company.

And I quote from David DeMartini (Head of Origin) a year ago;

"just don't look for 75 percent off going-out-of-business sales."

I guess the numerous tactical blunders EA has made over the last year has changed things.

bug_of_war:
I love how a small portion of people on this site just see it as EA doing what Valve did, and others say it's just EA throwing out games they consider bad.

If you don't like the games they're offering for cheap, that's fine. Don't however start acting like a dick and saying EA is only doing this with their shit games and that EA is still bad for doing it for their shit games. Yes, it's probably a reaction to the Sim City debaucle, but you know what, they could always do nothing. They could always just give the customer the finger and not do anything. So, if you don't like EA that's great, you're free to your opinion, but don't demonize EVERYTHING they do.

I'm not complaining, but this isn't EA's MO. In fact, in the past they've spoken out against this behavior. It's natural to be suspicious when they aren't behaving as expected. If EA wants to make this their new MO, I'm sure people will be accepting of it once the suspicion fades.

Wait, didn't some tech people find a security flaw in Origin? Are you guys sure it's okay to install it?

OT: I have most of these games on console/am not interested in Crysis 3. Dead Space 3 was a massive waste of money.

Signa:

I'm not complaining, but this isn't EA's MO. In fact, in the past they've spoken out against this behavior. It's natural to be suspicious when they aren't behaving as expected. If EA wants to make this their new MO, I'm sure people will be accepting of it once the suspicion fades.

Call me cynical, but most people on this sight seem to have a jihad on for EA.

bug_of_war:

Signa:

Call me cynical, but most people on this sight seem to have a jihad on for EA.

Well, I do too, but that's because I think nearly everything they do is anti-consumer just for a quick buck. A sale like this isn't something to complain about, and they are probably getting a quick buck. Win-win.

I'm still not going anywhere near Origin and if I'd wanted any of those games I'd have gotten them on eBay for these prices already.

Okay guys, enough with the hate. Yes, EA has done bad things. But I'm tired of hearing about it. Just move on, for fuck's sake. They're selling you games at a discount. If you want the games, buy them. If you don't, then just shut up and don't give them the attention. EVERYONE hates EA. You're not accomplishing anything by expressing your own distaste.

This is possibly the most transparent publicity stunt ever. They are going to have to do a hell of a lot more than this to convince anyone with and IQ above 70 that they aren't corporate monsters and that they do care about (never mind appreciate) their customers.

Checking out the Origin sale, I'm actually pretty surprised with the discounts they're offering. I never expected that from EA.

Granted, there's nothing I want to buy, but I was still surprised. I also agree it's a really stupid name. They should have just called it a "march madness" sale or whatever. I don't feel "appreciated" by them putting games on sale. That's just how things work, EA:
You put the games up for sale, I buy them if I want them at that price.

Signa:

Well, I do too, but that's because I think nearly everything they do is anti-consumer just for a quick buck. A sale like this isn't something to complain about, and they are probably getting a quick buck. Win-win.

That's fair enough, but everything they do is a business decision, and while I know that isn't an excuse, it isn't a fault from them either. I dunno, I guess I'm just more willing to forgive and forget, though I've never had a bad run in with any EA published title so I haven't exactly ever felt betrayed or gipped.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here