Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

The "Durango" (codename for the next Xbox) development kit claims that Microsoft's next console will be always-online, require the use of Kinect, and must have every game installed to its hard drive.

"Durango" is the codename for Microsoft's upcoming Xbox successor, and the XDK development kit is already out there in the hands of eager developers, no doubt under all sorts of NDAs. VG leaks claims to have seen the XDK first hand, and has discovered a "hardware overview" document that lists some of the features of the upcoming console. The document says that the new console will maintain an always-online connection, require the use of a new Kinect device (which will be included with the console), and require all games to be installed to its hard drive.

This new information gives more credibilty to earlier rumors that the next Xbox will require a constant online connection. Those of you unimpressed with Microsoft's Kinect may be disappointed to find that it's here to stay, with the document stating that "Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be required for the system to operate."

"The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

"All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from the optical disc will not be supported," the document states. It also says that the Durango will allow users to begin playing the game while it is still being installed/downloaded, instead of having to wait for it to complete. According to the document, the Durango will come with a blu-ray drive and a hard drive of yet undetermined size. Since Blu-Rays can go up to 50 gb, and it requires mandatory installs, I couldn't see it being lower than 500 gb for the base model.

These are all rumors that have been floating around for quite some time now, but screenshots from the XDK itself give it a bit more validity. The wording of the sure-to-be-controversial "always-online" statement doesn't suggest that internet is mandatory for it to work, but may be talking about always having an internet connection so that it can download and update even when in the off or standby mode.

Microsoft has offered no comment on these rumors. It is expected to reveal its new console in the next few months, and it is assumed it will release as a competitor for the PS4 in the upcoming holiday season.

Source & Image: VG Leaks

Looks like they're going to really try and slam the always online DRM hammer down.

This may be the great video game crash all over again. People BETTER not buy into this always online crap, I'm hoping everyone is smarter than these companies give them credit for.

Snotnarok:
Looks like they're going to really try and slam the always online DRM hammer down.

This may be the great video game crash all over again. People BETTER not buy into this always online crap, I'm hoping everyone is smarter than these companies give them credit for.

If people go along with it Sony is going to be mad they didn't abuse their customers first. lol.

Edit: double post

Snotnarok:

You very badly underestimate people's tolerance for DRM. The only ones who will be wary are the ones with crap internet.

As long as they can not fuck up the launch with stuff like RROD like they did with the 360, will be a hit. Calling it now.

In the past year the only console games I've cared to play were Halo 4 and ME3, and I don't use Xbox Live. If the items in the article are true, not to mention the high price-point some of these tech specs imply, this will be the final thing that pushes me completely, solely, to the PC for gaming.

But we'll see how this all goes when they actually launch the console.

So, the lessons of Diablo III and now SimCity 3 (oops, apparently it's not SimCity 3. There goes my whole theory. Aw man) have not been learned? Funny how this is the third X-box. I sense a pattern. This...I don't know. This just seems like a really, REALLY bad idea. Even if the always online works flawlessly, so many gamers start rioting the moment DRM is even mentioned that making your console built around the things seems like shooting yourself in the foot before the race even starts. It truly baffles me that, if this turns out to be true, they think it's a good way to sell consoles.

If this does turn out to be true, I can only hope that Halo 5 and 6 will be on the 360 because I really can't see myself buying this system.

Always online DRM in the next console from Microsoft?

Methinks Microsoft is looking for an excuse to get out of the games business.

Sniper Team 4:
So, the lessons of Diablo III and now SimCity 3 have not been learned? Funny how this is the third X-box. I sense a pattern.

This is not the 3rd SimCity game. The third main one in the series is 3000 but there were other ones like SimTown, which is pretty much what everyone calls the new one and they share a lot of gameplay elements like a focus on co-operation with other cities. Makes you wonder whether EA were trying to reboot SimCity or SimTown, really. If the reboot were numbered at all, it would be SimCity 5, as the most recent main series one was 4, or maybe 6, considering SimCity Societies. There's a very good video on this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O42kxeilMaQ

Oh Microsoft. What hapened to you? You used to be cool man.... Ok, you've never really been cool, but really? Really? As if you hadn't been fekin your console and customers up the bottom already.

Microsoft are really only managing to make the PS4 look good with all this idiocy.

Things like this just makes me wonder why a company hasn't used an Alternative Reality Game to first announce their console or a major game. Everyone is quick to act like a sleuth when it comes to trickles of information.

Always on means they will lose a customer. I tend to play my games offline. With the exception of wanting to talk to friends. I am ok with doing that. Since i did that for years on my Xbox.

Funny how they are trying to sell the "always online" bit as something they're doing out of magnanimity because they care about the customers, and it's something we supposedly want.

Ehm, no, Microsoft, no. I decide when I want to be online. You don't get to tell me I always want to be online. Sorry.

On the other hand, the customers could start trying to learn some self-control too, and realize that there's nothing in this particular industry that you "just gotta have, no matter the price" or you'll die.

Eh, pipe dream.

Microsoft need to wake up and fucking say something. All these rumours flying around, people need confirmation. The silent treatment is not working and never will work, especially now sony have got the first word in, and although I personally wasn't blown away by the PS4, nothing offended me with that like the prospect of always on DRM making it to consoles.

Forget DRM.

That's a 3d camera in your living room that's connected to internet all the time regardless of whether you're using xbox or not.

Microsoft is watching... waiting... learning...

Seriously, I buy a console so I can enjoy my free time, not to be judged. I'm sticking to the PS4.

Nuts... Microsoft, if this thing needs to be always online to work then you just lost me :(

If it can work without being online then all is forgiven, but if i need to authenticate games, connect to a server first etc etc etc to use this machine... then farewell its been nice, not that i want to say goodbye, but because i have to.

You'll also be losing a lot of my buddies as well. not everyone is online

Aeonknight:

Snotnarok:

You very badly underestimate people's tolerance for DRM. The only ones who will be wary are the ones with crap internet.

As long as they can not fuck up the launch with stuff like RROD like they did with the 360, will be a hit. Calling it now.

No I'm well aware of how people are tolerant of paying for things they have no actual ownership on. I'm honestly hoping for another video game crash so the industry takes a step back and tries to do right by the customer instead of taking more and more away .

"Always online" is a surefire way to not get any of my money.

Nghtgnt:
If the items in the article are true, not to mention the high price-point some of these tech specs imply, this will be the final thing that pushes me completely, solely, to the PC for gaming.

Seconded.

Just one more step until this:

Great. Forced use of Kinect, unnecessarily clogging up my (probably limited) HDD with installed games and always on DRM? Sounds like even more compelling reasons to jump the Microsoft ship and stow away with the PS4.

Possibly.

I need more official confirmation damn it!

Always online? Well, that's gonna suck major ass for people with bad Internet connections.

Kinect required? Well, that's... I don't... why? At least it comes with the console. I guess.

Manual installs, without the option to play from the disc? So, what, are we meant to buy hard drives like we did memory cards a decade ago (only much more expensive)?

If these all wind up being true, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Microsoft crash and burn in the games industry.

Considering that they are blocking consoles from accessing the internet where I live I think I see a reason not to get Microsoft's next console here.

Seeing Sim City's launch failure I am looking forward to this console. No matter how bad things get for PS4 and Wii U I don't think they will have to compete against the Xbox in the coming generation.

I guess we'll see when it comes out though. For all I know it might succeed and it might not even use always on DRM. I am waiting for the official announcement before I start bashing them.

You all are reading DRM I am reading Not enough hard drive space.

Lets think about this: 1.this console is going to last 8 damn years 2.Games take a shit ton of space and they keep going up 3. A lot of games come out in 8 years. I think you all can see where I am going with this.

I predict a future where the xbox uses more memory then a java program and costs more to upgrade then any memory system ever made.

I am not happy that I will have to uninstall good games to play new ones and then have to wait for a new intalation (and possible data deletion) to play the game again later.

The funny thing is I am pretty tolerant of always online when it comes to games. I didn't get particularly upset at D3 because I understood it, even if I didn't completely agree with it. And, as much as I don't believe its acceptable, I find it hard to get overly upset at day 1 network issues, having played MMOs for the better part of a decade. Especially when they really are limited to day 1 as was the case with D3 (disappointing game for other reasons). Not excusing Sim City, though, because I didn't find anything advantageous about their always online and their problems persisted far more than D3's did.

HOWEVER, a console is not a video game. I buy the game with the understanding that it is always online and that, at times, it may be unavailable. During those times, if I really want to be playing games, I can always choose a different title in my collection without always online. This system seems to make that impossible.

If I cannot use the system at all during an internet outage or server issue that will prompt me to buy a different system, simple as that.

Fuck me, that is scary...

Seriously, there are some extremely dire implications if this has any kind of success.

Goddammit, I'm going to explode from frustration if enough people eat that shit up and ask for more.

Domogo:
You all are reading DRM I am reading Not enough hard drive space.

Lets think about this: 1.this console is going to last 8 damn years 2.Games take a shit ton of space and they keep going up 3. A lot of games come out in 8 years. I think you all can see where I am going with this.

I predict a future where the xbox uses more memory then a java program and cost more to upgrade then any other memory system ever made.

I am not happy that I will have to uninstall good games to play new ones and then have to wait for a new intalation (and possible data deletion) to play the game again later.

This.

I remember filling up my 128GB HDD with DLC and all manner of miscellaneous paraphernalia on the Xbox 360 and having to pay the extortionate prices for a bigger HDD, so I know exactly where Microsoft are going with this one. They'll sell the basic console with a stupidly small HDD and then have a range of additional ones you can "upgrade" to.

I have a bit of OCD where memory and storage space is concerned; I don't like to use it to its full capacity because I worry about imminent loss of usable space.

The reason I have a console is so I can put a disc of my choosing in and play the damn game. All this install/uninstall bullshit is not working in the "Durango's" favour.

This always online thing scares me. Does it really mean that if the internet connection is down, you won't be able to play any games? You guys can't be serious about that.

If it really is the case, then what happens when Microsoft release their next system or decide to stop supporting the network on the Durango? You're not going to be able to play your old games anymore? I have a hard time believing they'd get away with that.

Hmm, this is rather troubling to see. ... Sony! You crazy bastards! Have I got a wad of cash for you!

im really hoping this isnt true at all and if it is then it was a pleasure doing business with microsoft but now your competitors are offering me a better deal

havoc33:
This always online thing scares me. Does it really mean that if the internet connection is down, you won't be able to play any games? You guys can't be serious about that.

If it really is the case, then what happens when Microsoft release their next system or decide to stop supporting the network on the Durango? You're not going to be able to play your old games anymore? I have a hard time believing they'd get away with that.

well they got away with it for the original xbox, alot of game there wont work on HD TVs/Moniiters so you can only play some of them and they alread took down all server support for the games

The_Echo:
Always online? Well, that's gonna suck major ass for people with bad Internet connections.

Kinect required? Well, that's... I don't... why? At least it comes with the console. I guess.

Manual installs, without the option to play from the disc? So, what, are we meant to buy hard drives like we did memory cards a decade ago (only much more expensive)?

If these all wind up being true, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Microsoft crash and burn in the games industry.

i wouldnt be so sure. i mean look at all the devs and publishers pushing this draconian policy, and now a system comes out that enforces it aswell? they will flock to it amazingly and i could easily see the xbox getting more games than its competitors. and more games will attract customers.

"The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

"All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from the optical disc will not be supported," the document states. It also says that the Durango will allow users to begin playing the game while it is still being installed/downloaded, instead of having to wait for it to complete. According to the document, the Durango will come with a blu-ray drive and a hard drive of yet undetermined size. Since Blu-Rays can go up to 50 gb, and it requires mandatory installs, I couldn't see it being lower than 500 gb for the base model.

If the rumours are true:

Haven't they contradicted themselves with the ready instantly, but requires install. I don't care that you supposedly can play it while installing, to me that sounds like glitches could probably happen or something. Also it would more I'd be more frugal with what games I would buy since I could only get so many on the hard drive. Then there is being forced to use kinect, it wouldn't be bad for an option but forcing just rubs me the wrong way, also I don't like cameras in my room outside my control.

Yeah the more I hear about every next-gen consoles the more I'm going to be sticking with the pc and my current consoles.

Edit: Forgot to mention the always online, that just sounds stupid. I have consoles for times I just want to sit back on a sofa, relax, put in a disc and play the game, not having to worry about any kind of online connectivity like I would with pc (activations, steam etc.)

If this is true I would like to be the first to congratulate Sony on their victory in the next console war.

havoc33:

Why would you have a hard time believing they'd get away with that? Exactly the same thing would happen to any of the numerous 'always online' games on the PC if the company owning the game suddenly decides to shut the servers down - its one of the major reasons why i wish people would stop buying things which include always online drm.

From the way it is worded and the context i would assume they are talking about the ability to be always connected - as a
feature that is presented to the developers.
I don't think MS will force developers to use an always online DRM. Not because its anti-consumer but because such DRM requires time and money to develop/integrate into a game, and not all studios would want to invest the required resources for that.
What bothers me a lot more is the required always on Kinect. I would prefer a mandatory always online DRM over that.

Ironside:
If this is true I would like to be the first to congratulate Sony on their victory in the next console war.

havoc33:

Why would you have a hard time believing they'd get away with that? Exactly the same thing would happen to any of the numerous 'always online' games on the PC if the company owning the game suddenly decides to shut the servers down - its one of the major reasons why i wish people would stop buying things which include always online drm.

If this really is the case, then at least they are forced to support their old platform for a loooong time, otherwise it would not be legal for them to sell any consoles towards the end of its cycle.

Either way, all this is very concerning. I'm proud of my gaming collection, and I love to fire up an old system now and then for some proper retro gaming. Needless to say, I'm not keen on buying loads of games for a system that might not be playable in 10-12 years time.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here