Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Welp, looks like I'm buying a PS4 then. I ain't fucking around with this DRM shit.

With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily suffer each and every server hiccup as a palpable insult to their investment, with constant waiting for the console to finish updating."

This is how I read it, anybody else?

As it's only a rumour, this doesn't hold much weight. If it turns out to be true though, I imagine a lot of people will be buying a PS4.

Snotnarok:

They don't learn their lesson, they just take more stuff out of games and do more DLC, and more DRM and take less risks.

Yes, but that's because they remain freaking titans. EA's riding high on the hog right now. A humbling would do better than to utterly crash them.

Strazdas:

yeah because throwing money at them works so well too.

Throwing money at oil companies doesn't work, either. For many people, however, living oil-free is not an option.

if enough people demand it they will have no choice, go bancrupt or start working normally.

Yes, but that doesn't make it any less a fantasy. We need practical steps. A lot of working people can't afford to cut themselves off like that, and you're asking a group of self-entitled gamers to do it?

by buying their service your not making it better. you sure there are no alternative? is things that bad?

Do you not understand how a monopoly works? That would seem to answer those two questions, and sort of nullify that specious statement.

Now...Here's the truth.

America doesn't technically have a monopoly. They do, however, have what is called a duopoly. Two companies, TWC and Comcast own more than two thirds of the market. The top four own something like 90%. The two largest are noncompetitive, and actually amicably split Adelphia in order to acquire it in a mutually beneficial sense. The rest? Barely compete. Because there's no incentive to. They all effectively run their own markets, and there is little to no competition in most markets. In fact,a lot of people are deceived into going with supposedly smaller companies which are subsidiaries of the big ones.

In short, things really "is" that bad.

Zachary Amaranth:

Now...Here's the truth.

America doesn't technically have a monopoly. They do, however, have what is called a duopoly. Two companies, TWC and Comcast own more than two thirds of the market. The top four own something like 90%. The two largest are noncompetitive, and actually amicably split Adelphia in order to acquire it in a mutually beneficial sense. The rest? Barely compete. Because there's no incentive to. They all effectively run their own markets, and there is little to no competition in most markets. In fact,a lot of people are deceived into going with supposedly smaller companies which are subsidiaries of the big ones.

In short, things really "is" that bad.

In which case all i can do is pity you and hope you eventually take action agasint that.
ALso what about this while big show google put up with attempt to bring you fiber optics? or is that are not covered?

It's officially confirmed now I think, as well as not playing used games. I sense this spelling trouble for them. Gamestop probably won't even want to sell the system.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/xbox-durango-requires-all-games-to-be-installed

Microsoft, I'll wait for your official response before jumping to conclusions, but if this turns out to be completely true then Sony and Nintendo will continue to get my love. During the past year and a half I have pretty much not used my Xbox and gone mainly to the PS3. The only reason I still have an Xbox is so that I can LP some games that wouldn't run too well on my laptop (I record with it) and my PS3 (I'm looking at you Bethesda). The 3D camera is what scares me the most to be honest, it would be a complete invasion of privacy and I'm sure it'd be abused badly. The last time I turned on my Xbox the Dashboard was filled with so many ads that I just set it up to where the game automatically loads up. Live is overpriced I think and if you're not a huge fan of shooters, like me, then it's a complete waste of time to even buy it. I've pretty much completely switch to my PS3 and Wii and I'm actually gonna get a Wii U because I've had fun with it before. Sure the Wii U doesn't have many good games right now, but the PS3 had a not so stellar launch and it is now my second most played console.
Goodbye Microsoft, your 360 was my first console of the last generation, and it looks like it will be my last one from you in general.

I hope not, it'd be sad to see things go this way but who knows. Maybe I'll finally make the switch to PC.

perhaps the simcity incident will make them think twice.

I don't think they'll seriously take the always online route. Especially because of our exact reactions to this; they'll lose far too many customers.

More shit from Microsoft. If this is true then they are really fuckin' clueless. This is Microsoft wanting to be more like Apple. They think Apple's success is based on controlling every single aspect of their customer's experience, so obviously they should do the same in order to be as successful. Didn't they get the hint when they released Windows 8 that that kind of strategy isn't going to work?

So let's see what we got here.

-Always on
-no used games
-installing every game on hard disc
-requires Kinect spying on you to work
-probably subscription based online play like Xbox 360

What else? Self destruction mechanism with a blast radius of 10 meters if you try to unplug the Big Brother? Wouldn't surprise me.

Why would anyone get this over PS4 or a good gaming PC?

The sad thing is, this is the publisher's wet dream. And people are gonna buy it regardless. All you have to do is wave the next Halo or Gears of War in people's face and they'll run to their nearest shopping mall to buy the Big Brother console. And the publishers will support it because it gives them more control over their customers.

Of course, thinking that this kind of behavior can last is stupid. There is a very real chance that this, combined with some other aspects of gaming industry will lead to another crash.

If this is true then this is my reaction:

Microsoft has the opportunity to do a fatality to the PS3 by just being Xbox. Not this.

Microsoft are smart, they aren't stupid, it sounds like fanboyism coming from me, but I know by fact they won't pull that shit.

Also, they'll realize always online won't work. Halo is one of the last split-screen multiplayer games that people still play. If that is gone, then boom, they shot themselves in the toe.

Snotnarok:
Looks like they're going to really try and slam the always online DRM hammer down.

This may be the great video game crash all over again. People BETTER not buy into this always online crap, I'm hoping everyone is smarter than these companies give them credit for.

Yeah umm hate to tell ya but the consumer base for video games is so large it goes way beyond hobbyists like your fellow escapists.

Just like how Sony looked beyond the Sega and Nintendo base for consumers and how Nintendo went past the "hardcore" for the wii. So too will Microsoft simply reach out to the consumers that are simply unaware about consoles and market their console.

Personally my concern is with how even in the USA there is still 1/3rd of the US population with only a model based connection. Not even talking pure rural areas either. An always online requirement is really going to hurt the deep south region.

No, bad Microsoft! Bad, bad Microsoft! No cookie for you Microsoft, bad company.

But seriously I really hope this isn't true or else I certainly will not be buying it. I mean yes, I do already have Kinect. But, my internet is crap at home and sometimes it just shuts off for days on end. So what do I do when the net is off for fun? Play Xbox. (Or use Steam now).

Also I have never seen the need to install games to the hard-drive and my 60 gig one is almost full, despite not doing this. So why should I fill it up that much faster with less games for next gen?

No, just no.

Edit: Perhaps a Steam box if I really MUST have some sort of console. Not seeing it though.

If true, this description of Microsoft's next offering sounds like something out of George Orwell's classic, 1984. If those truly are the requirements and this is the trend for future console gaming, I think I will have bought my last console with the Xbox 360.

Well that changes... nothing.
One could say that the more things change the more they stay the same.
Consoles: Companies screw with you and you have no way of doing anything about that.
PC: Companies are screwing you even more, but with long tedious work you may have a chance of getting the game you paid for to play without having to be online, making the DRM Software you most certainly didn't pay for explode your machine.

If you cough up enough money to pay for a machine that is three times as fast as a console you might even be able to play some shitty ports with decent speeds.
After it took you 12 hours or so to make sure it runs without telling anyone how many virtual drives you have installed or something.

Aeonknight:

Snotnarok:
Looks like they're going to really try and slam the always online DRM hammer down.

This may be the great video game crash all over again. People BETTER not buy into this always online crap, I'm hoping everyone is smarter than these companies give them credit for.

You very badly underestimate people's tolerance for DRM. The only ones who will be wary are the ones with crap internet.

As long as they can not fuck up the launch with stuff like RROD like they did with the 360, will be a hit. Calling it now.

Pretty much this. The entire Western world seems to be giving the finger to anyone with dial-up, as of the last decade. I'm aware that dial-up is phasing out and broadband plans are becoming increasingly affordable, but the problem is that the tech isn't evenly spread out to all areas.

I live in the suburbs of Montreal, on the South Shore, for instance. I'm fine; broadband from Videotron reaches us easily. If you know anything about Quebec's terrain, you'll know that Lake Saint-Sauveur's region is very hilly and generally mountainous. It makes passing optic fiber cables or supporting broadband by cable or DSL fairly difficult. The only available option is a generally spotty satellite service. One of my uncles lives there, and his connection breaks down every so often. There, quite simply, are no readily available physical means to guarantee a decent always-online experience for anyone in this region.

Thankfully, most of the lake's population is made up of retirees or forty-to-fiftysomething couples who aren't very likely to give a damn about consoles, Durango or even SimCity's DRM fiasco. If there's ever any complaints towards Bell Canada for that region, I wouldn't know.

I have friends in Texas and Idaho, though, and I can confirm that pulling off a decent connection a couple miles away from any big urban centers is difficult. I don't know if that means a lot of people will complain about the forced connectivity, but some people *will* obviously complain. They'll have every reason to. The tech just isn't sufficiently spread out to allow for this approach to be democratic.

As is, Microsoft is basically going "Oh, you're living in Bumfuck Town? Well, sucks to be you, no Durango for you!"

wrong thread, sorry

I am very disappointed:(

Looks like this is one more console that I refuse to buy... all I have to look forward to is the OUYA :(

EDIT: (forgot about the Steam Box)

aba1:
I am feeling like the OUYA will be awesome more and more jsut by comparison to everything else. I can't believe I am saying this but I have no interest in the WiiU and I still think it is the best choice between the main three thus far.

Seconded. That and the Steam Box (in whatever form it finally takes). I'm more pumped for those than the PS4, and now I'm way, waaaaay more pumped for any of the three of those than the DRMbox.

Let's wait to say until everyone has a high-speed internet connection "world-wide" before pulling any of these tricks.
If I wanted to be online all the time, I would be a PC gamer, which i'm slowly going back to.

I unplug my xbox at night sometimes, because i'm scared that it will slow down my internet connection for myself.

So their plan for next gen is to get rid of every benefit that consoles have over PCs? It's like they want to fail. With every announcement/rumour, it looks more likely that I won't be joining the next generation. I'm probably going to use this as an opportunity to go back, and play everything I missed during the 5th and 6th generations. The Gamecube and Dreamcast are looking far more appealing to me than Durango.

I know this is BAD... but being a playstation fanboy (listen, I'm really a PC elitist, so it doesn't really matter...) I sort of hope this DOES happen because playstation will totes come out on top then.

So Microsoft literally wants you to pay to have an always online camera in your living room. Okay, I'll get right on that.

For the record, my 360 hasn't had internet connectivity in like 2 years.

So... always online DRM (which will be all fine and dandy until the servers crash), forced use of the Kinect, games required to be installed thereby taking up a ton of space (seriously I've tried installing games on the 360 they take up a HUGE amount of space) all of which will probably jack the price up to PS3 levels...

Did John Riccitiello take over Microsoft or something?

Isn't it grand that I never liked Xbox to begin with? It'll be great when they only get Halo as an exclusive the next console generation. That third party and indie support is going to crash if all this is true.

Both Sony and Microsoft had such a stranglehold on the last-gen that they will be hugely successful on launch, no matter what they churn out. At the moment I'm waiting for details of online. For example I'm not paying for Xbox live again, that was ridiculous. I'm also not paying for always on DRM, my internet really isn't very good and I do not benefit from this. Why should a companies neglagance mean I get a shitty console..

Didn't read anything other than OP's post. Just gettin' that out of the way since I'm sure to retread someone else's statements.

I don't think this will be as bad as doomsayers are saying. Microsoft has been dealing with the masses for decades, almost 30 years since the release of the very first MS Windows. They might make mistakes and missteps every now and again, but they're not idiots. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would make a series of decisions that would so thoroughly antagonize gamers, like these.

Oh, and that shtick about Kinect being required to operate the system? That's a little vague, I think. That may very well just be the receiver for wireless controllers, for all we know.

Call me a filthy apologist - I've done that more than once, IRL - but I want to stay optimistic about this. We know so little, still, that it would be utterly insane to make judgements now.

hmm I'll wait till the official release before i give my opinion on this since its a waste of time to condemn them now

Could anyone please explain the reasoning behind Always-Online and DRM?

I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm not quite sure what all the hoopla is about and why it's so bad.

I hope the nextbox fails badly, they need to learn that DRM isn't acceptable especially at that level.
I'm glad the PC is my main system of choice with the PS4 filling the console role. Thankyou Sony!

Edgeless:
Could anyone please explain the reasoning behind Always-Online and DRM?

I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm not quite sure what all the hoopla is about and why it's so bad.

It's treating all customers like criminals, and forces you to be online at all times. And while personally that isn't an issue with 100mb/sec internet, alot of people aren't so lucky. For alot it literally kills the ability for them to play the game they pay for. Also as Simcity and Diablo 3 have shown, even with the best net around it's no good if the companies can't/wont bother to supply the required servers to support the players, thus once again ruining the ability to play the game we've paid for. Oh and also, it means they can turn the system off at any time and you can kiss your game goodbye. Some of us like to be able to play our games whenever we want, I still have my first game V-Rally on PSX which I could play right now on my PSX/PS2/PS3 with no issue. Can't say that about Diablo 3 in 20 years time.

Producers really don't understand piracy, it won't be long after launch that someone will find a way to jailbreak the durango.

They're challenging the internet to a programming war here, that's like challenging the states to an eating contest, you are not going to win.

It's like Jim Sterling said, all they're doing is making the platform less convienent, which makes a pirate's job all the easier.

This always-online crap and that system that makes it so you can only play a game on one console is just going to be cracked anyway, and once it is, the whole thing's gonna come toppling down, as no one's gonna want to buy them legally, because the official products' are crap, so they will just go for the superior knock-offs.

Also that kinect thing doesn't even have anything to do with security, it's just a blatant attempt to sell more kinects.

Roxor:
Always online DRM in the next console from Microsoft?

Methinks Microsoft is looking for an excuse to get out of the games business.

Microsoft makes more money from MS Office in a Month than they do all of Xbox 360 in a year.
Hell Microsoft makes more money off Internet Explorer than they do Xbox 360.

Microsoft just disband your gaming division, let the next Xbox go to vaporware, let the Xbox 360 get majorly hacked and go back to selling office products and business applications.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here