Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Coming to Wii U

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Coming to Wii U

The Wii U version of the game will include The Missing Link DLC and boast a number of console-specific enhancements.

Eidos Montreal announced today that its hit action game Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be coming to the Wii U in an expanded and improved "Director's Cut." The updated edition of the game will include a number of enhancements designed to take advantage of the Wii U gamepad, including touch-screen hacking, interactive map editing, augmented sniping, grenade throwback and "many other neural hub enhancements." I'm not sure what most of that means but it sounds like you'll be doing an awful lot of poking at that Wii U mini-screen thing.

Human Revolution on the Wii U will also include content that wasn't included with the standard release of the game, including the Tracer Tong rescue mission, which was previously available as a preorder bonus, and the post-release DLC The Missing Link that followed Adam Jensen's not-entirely-pleasant romp through a Belltower naval base.

The Wii U edition will also feature improved AI, enhanced visuals, "overhauled" boss fights and other refinements to balance and combat. No official release date has been set but an Amazon entry, which has since been removed but not before it was captured for posterity by Joystiq, stated that the Human Revolution Director's Cut will launch on May 7.

But the question remains: Why would you do this?

"The Director's cut" Total horse shit. I am glad the wii U has perfected Nintendo's tradition of horrible ports and games that are 15 bucks on every other platform with shoehorned gimmicks.

Aww, hell yeah. If current trends continue I'll be able to catch up on all the AAA releases I missed out on this generation on account of being a Nintendo fanboy. Just as soon as I find £250 worth of change down the back of my sofa and actually buy a Wii U.

Andy Chalk:

The Wii U edition will also feature improved AI, enhanced visuals, "overhauled" boss fights and other refinements to balance and combat.

Not fair!

I am playing it right now on the PC, and the idiotic AI is irritating me, as well having to haul around large guns when I am playing as a pacifist, purely for the bosses.

The cover art looks pretty awesome though.

Lono Shrugged:
I am glad the wii U has perfected Nintendo's tradition of horrible ports

How do you know it is a terrible port?

Just how "overhauled" are we talking?

Legion:

Not fair!

I am playing it right now....

I was reading up on more details at Eurogamer and the redo for Wii U makes it almost sound like an entirely different game. The boss fights were originally done by a 3rd party, so Eidos started them from scratch.

There's anti-aliasing now and it appears the Wii U port isn't so much a port as it was an opportunity to tweak everything they thought was wrong with the original release.

Hmmm, might look at picking this up actually, been a while since I played it, gives me an opportunity to play the Missing Link DLC, the Wii U Gamepad features sound neat and it'll be interesting to see the re-worked boss fights.

Plus it's another game to actually pick up for the Wii U, which is always nice.

Legion:

Andy Chalk:

The Wii U edition will also feature improved AI, enhanced visuals, "overhauled" boss fights and other refinements to balance and combat.

Not fair!

I am playing it right now, and the idiotic AI is irritating me, as well having to haul around large guns when I am playing as a pacifist, purely for the bosses.

Lono Shrugged:
I am glad the wii U has perfected Nintendo's tradition of horrible ports

How do you know it is a terrible port?

Because it is on a Nintendo Console and everything Nintendo sucks and is for kiddies/Casuals, dunchaknow.

OT: Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda cool? If they can fix the boss fights entirely then I would love to play this game again as it would be fuckin' amazing without the pointless "oh, you be pacifist? FUCK YOU KILL BOSS!" segments.

I never asked for this!

I guess it's cool for Wii U owners. But if they're fixing boss fights they should release that patch for other systems as well. Or just release the Director's Cut as the ultimate version of the game on all systems. I'd buy it. I don't see a reason not too.

As for new AI I call bullshit on that. It's probably just the AI that was on the PC version of the game. Which was better than console version AI.

DVS BSTrD:

From what we know:

- New A.I.
- New Graphical Options (AA, Primarily from what I heard)
- Added content without paying for it
- Overhauled the "boss" content (from what I gather, you can actually talk them down now or not fight them at all)

So basically it seems they were fixing what was broken in its original release with some Wii U Tablet fun thrown in for good measure. Which honestly, I wouldn't mind. I would love to play the hacking minigames and such on the tablet, keeping it off the screen. If they do it like they did with Zombi U, I will love it. Zombi U was a fantastic representation of what you can do with the tablet. The only issue with THAT game was the core combat mechanics and lack of a coherent narrative IMO.

Shit, I started rambling.

Porting it to the WiiU with extra content, new options and application of the touch screen won't make it any more that a very average game. I don't see what the big deal is, Deus Ex is one of the most overrated game series, Human Revolution is average in every way and I have seen other better games do what Human Revolution does so much better.

Toilet:
Porting it to the WiiU with extra content, new options and application of the touch screen won't make it any more that a very average game. I don't see what the big deal is, Deus Ex is one of the most overrated game series, Human Revolution is average in every way and I have seen other better games do what Human Revolution does so much better.

Alright then. Name a few hub based dystopian cyberpunk stealth/action RPG's that are better than Deus Ex.

Ah... I sort of thought when they said that the new Nintendo console would have strong third-party support, that meant something other than "we'll port two-year-old games to it."

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a heckuva good game. But I suspect if you were really interested in playing it, you would have done so by now. It currently runs about $20 on Amazon and Steam alike. It's hard to imagine the Wii's touchpad controller bringing such new heights of gaming ecstasy that it would be worth waiting several more months and most likely paying an extra $20 or more for it.

It's worth checking out the Eurogamer article, as the devs go in-depth about all the changes they're making. Basically, they made a lot of tweaks to the game engine for the Missing Link DLC, and they're now retrofitting those changes to the entire game for the Wii U. So the enemies have got improved AI, their cone of vision is more consistent, yadda yadda. Also, they're making it so that it's possible to do all the boss battles using sneak and stealth skills. Rather than having to enter a shootfest, you can now use stealth and the environment to bring them down instead, which sounds pretty neato. And they've updated the graphics engine, revamped the lighting system and thrown some anti-aliasing in there, so it should look a fair bit better.

In short, this doesn't seem like a quick rush job. Sounds to me like they're legitimately trying to fix all the flaws the original game had, and get it as polished as possible. Like what Team Ninja did with Razer's Ege, except Eidos aren't working from a fundamentally shit game...

Capitano Segnaposto:

DVS BSTrD:

From what we know:

- New A.I.
- Overhauled the "boss" content (from what I gather, you can actually talk them down now or not fight them at all)

If that's the case, then why wouldn't they want to release on across consoles? I mean, I know it's not a relatively new game now, but I'm sure there's many people that would appreciate the improvements, myself among them.

hmm, interesting. If they do a fundamental overhaul of some stuff it could have potential. Still, I'd rather people do NEW stuff for the system instead of giving it ports.

"Director's Cut."

Ohhh. We used to call it "Belated release". Of an old game with super useless AI.
Well, at least the AI is *claimed* to be improved.

I would say "we'll see about that AI improvement", but we won't, as Wii-U sales are not exactly way up there...

DVS BSTrD:

Hopefully removed. Or at least arranged so that you can skirt around the boss fights. There was nothing more satisfying than sneaking past Gunter after all the taunting he did in the original Deus Ex. I liked to imagine him explaining to his boss how he never saw me once. And then being fired for his incompetence.

...*grumble*

I'd be really pissed at this, except that Deus Ex HR is currently at the very top of my favourite games of all time list, and thus I want to see it do well (again).

But if they don't port over the improves boss fights and stuff, I'm gonna be a bit upset, though. I played it on PS3 and while I didn't have any issues with the AI, the boss fights really pissed me off.

.......*Sigh* I don't have a Wii-u and don't really want one yet. But this is tempting me. If I had a Wiiu I would probably buy it again. x_x

Well I can tally this up to the list of games I'd want for the Wii U seeing the boss fights reworked and new AA with enhanced AI sounds interesting and at least they included the DLC which was nice of them.

And now this thread will probably spiral down to hate and spite of the U getting an improved version of a 2 year old game most on other platforms will not care about or choose to care about out of pure spite.

RJ Dalton:

DVS BSTrD:

Hopefully removed. Or at least arranged so that you can skirt around the boss fights. There was nothing more satisfying than sneaking past Gunter after all the taunting he did in the original Deus Ex. I liked to imagine him explaining to his boss how he never saw me once. And then being fired for his incompetence.

You can sneak past him?! Wow.

On the other hand I really liked what I did to him. "sticks and stones" indeed. XD

I do hope that the boss fights have an option to sneak past them, or at least offer other solutions to kill them (hiding from gatling gun guy while running around to activate a set of turrets, for example)

aegix drakan:

RJ Dalton:

You can sneak past him?! Wow.

On the other hand I really liked what I did to him. "sticks and stones" indeed. XD

I do hope that the boss fights have an option to sneak past them, or at least offer other solutions to kill them (hiding from gatling gun guy while running around to activate a set of turrets, for example)

Yeah, you can sneak past Gunter. It's hard, but I've done it a couple of times. You have to hide behind the pillars on the opposite side of the hall from where he was standing and move quickly. It's been a while, so there might have been another trick to it besides that, but I do know it's possible.

Legion:

Really? It looks extremely busy and really RADCOOL ACTIONGUY to me.

Now this is good boxart.

Frostbite3789:

Legion:

Now this is good boxart.

I was thinking of the background more than anything else. The pose by Adam is a little too cliché.

I quite like the one you linked though.

I don't own human revolution so this looks really tempting.

Adam Jensen:

Toilet:

Alright then. Name a few hub based dystopian cyberpunk stealth/action RPG's that are better than Deus Ex.

Aside from the specific dystopian SciFi setting I can think of quite a few stealth/action RPG's that are overall better (and more memorable) than the incredible mediocre experience Human Revolution is.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
Alpha Protocol
Precursors
Xenus 2: White Gold
Cyberpunk 2077 (when it comes out)

The parts that make up Human Revolution are all incredibly bland and uninteresting, the shooting has been done better, the stealth has been done better and the "RPG elements" (and I used the term really loosely) have been done better. The only place I can say Human Revolution shines is the conversation/debate battles.

JokerboyJordan:

Capitano Segnaposto:

DVS BSTrD:

From what we know:

- New A.I.

If that's the case, then why wouldn't they want to release on across consoles? I mean, I know it's not a relatively new game now, but I'm sure there's many people that would appreciate the improvements, myself among them.

My Guess? Exclusivity rights. Either that or the Dev team just thought the game would work a lot better with a tablet controller.

FizzyIzze:

Legion:

Not fair!

I am playing it right now....

I was reading up on more details at Eurogamer and the redo for Wii U makes it almost sound like an entirely different game. The boss fights were originally done by a 3rd party, so Eidos started them from scratch.

There's anti-aliasing now and it appears the Wii U port isn't so much a port as it was an opportunity to tweak everything they thought was wrong with the original release.

I was going to toss this one into the "If I had wanted to play this game, I would have done so on its original platforms already" pile with Need For Speed, but if that's true maybe I'll look into it.

Although it would be a bit scummy of them to give Wii U the "fixed" version and not patch the game for everyone who already has a copy on other platforms.

JokerboyJordan:

Capitano Segnaposto:

DVS BSTrD:

From what we know:

- New A.I.

Probably because the old consoles would melt at the mention of AA and improved AI.

Not quite sure why the PC wont be gettin it though.

Legion:

Frostbite3789:

Legion:

Now this is good boxart.

I was thinking of the background more than anything else. The pose by Adam is a little too cliché.

I quite like the one you linked though.

I agree, take Adam out and you've got an amazing cover. Someone with better photoshop skills than me should really get onto doing something like that.

OT: I've already played through it on PS3, but that was way back when it actually released. Anyone know if this has off-tv play? If so I'll definitely pick it up when it's a bit cheaper. If not I won't, since I can just play it on my PC.

So, I have to buy a WiiU to get DE:HR with all the bugs worked out...

Bullshit...

So now comes the question...

Will they
1. Re-release the game for PC and other consoles?
2. Offer the revamped content as a patch or buy-able DLC?

Toilet:

Adam Jensen:

Toilet:

Aside from the specific dystopian SciFi setting I can think of quite a few stealth/action RPG's that are overall better (and more memorable) than the incredible mediocre experience Human Revolution is.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
Alpha Protocol
Precursors
Xenus 2: White Gold
Cyberpunk 2077 (when it comes out)

The parts that make up Human Revolution are all incredibly bland and uninteresting, the shooting has been done better, the stealth has been done better and the "RPG elements" (and I used the term really loosely) have been done better. The only place I can say Human Revolution shines is the conversation/debate battles.

I agree it is a tad bit overrated. But I still like to hold it in high regard because it managed to turn out alright despite the usual repertoire of reboot/prequel-sequel-cash-in things.

I can see you're being fair though. You mentioned what HR does best, the writing.

In some ways, I'm a little worried about this announcement. I like DE:HR, one of my favorite games of 2011 in fact, but much like with Arkham City and Darksiders 2, I wondered why you would bother getting the WiiU version if the other versions had been out for so long. Now though that the improvements are announced and it seems to be quite an overhaul in several regards, I hope to god that this isn't a Ninja Gaiden 3 situation where people who originally picked up the original version have to go out to buy a re-released version (or at the very least not at a full $60) I can wait, as I have a lot of games on my plate to get through, but I hope Eidos doesn't go down the Team Ninja route.

Also, quick aside: The inclusion of the Missing Link DLC makes me wonder if, like with the Tong mission, it will be integrated into the main game or if it will still be put into a stand-alone section. Does anyone know? I haven't actually checked the Eurogamer article, so I'm not sure if it's addressed.

Lovely Mixture:

I can see you're being fair though. You mentioned what HR does best, the writing.

I'm not sure how it's fair to include two games that were buggy beyond playability on release, a game that literally explains none of the vast number of mechanics contained within, and a game that hasn't been released yet in a list of games that are better than Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

OT: If they're rebuilding the boss fights from the ground up, I hope they patch the new ones into the old game. Everything else I don't really care about, the PC version already had better graphics and anti-aliasing and I never had issues with the AI either.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here