Carmageddon Resurrects Onto Next-Gen Platforms

Carmageddon Resurrects Onto Next-Gen Platforms

Stainless Games has just completed a $3.5 million funding round for Carmageddon: Resurrection.

Remember Carmageddon? The game that single handedly started the "concerned mothers against video games movement" by giving you points for running over pedestrians? Well, original developers Stainless Games are hard at work on Carmageddon: Resurrection, a reboot of the series. It has announced that after successful completing a fundraising round, the budget of the game has increased to $3.5 million, allowing Stainless to bring the game to next-gen consoles, as well as PC, Mac, and Linux.

The extra funds came from Les Edgar, who Stainless Games announced as the new funding partner for Carmageddon: Resurrection. Les is a shareholder in Stainless, founder of Bullfrog Productions (creator of Theme Hospital) and a former VP of EA Europe.

"I have always had a great belief in Stainless, and I really admire their continued success as one of the leading indie dev studios. The Carmageddon name is one we all want to see rise again, and I know that in the hands of its original creators, we're bound to get the best out of the brand." said Les Edgar. "I'm delighted to be on board and helping make the project happen."

"The extra investment brings the total fund for development to $3.5m. We're really excited at the opportunity this gives us to deliver exactly what Carmageddon is all about, and what we know you fans want - great gameplay, crazy humour, and unprecedented FUN. And what's fantastic is that we can now do this in a truly independent production, across the range of platforms, that will maximise its impact and blast the brand back into life for gamers right across the globe!"

Stainless Games say that Resurrection will be a faithful tribute to the original game. The game is still in the early development stages, and the developer is actively urging fans to sign up on the forums and share their own thoughts on what the game should be. A recent kickstarter raised $625,143 for the project.

Stainless Games recently released an iOS version of the original Carmageddon, and says that an android release is "pending."

Source & Image: Carmageddon.com

$3.5 million kinds of wee's all over the $625,143 received from Kickstarter, but great news! Think I threw £30 towards this on Kickstarter, cant wait to see it. :D

I remember playing the original with the woman avatar, and all her screams made my parents think there was a girl in my room and went to check.
"It's just a game :o "

Eh, Carmageddon was only popular because it was new and daring to run people over a lot.

The game itself wasn't that special. I remember continually getting style points for elaborate maneouvers I wasn't trying to do nor knew they existed. Just driving around and being praised for creative stunts.

Well lets hope they push the boat out and go nuts for a new generation and don't suck like so many reboots.

I remember playing Carmageddon as a teenager and thinking the Cunning Stunt bonus was the finest piece of wordplay I'd ever seen.

Time to strap on those rose-tinted glasses and take a drive down Nostalgia Lane (along the pavement, at high speed).

I wonder if they'll run an anti-mom ad campaign like Visceral did with Dead Space 2:
If your parents don't like it, they can get Bentley

Here's to hoping they'll resurrect it as a good game.

The original games were mediocre at best and pretty damn bad at their worst.

I really don't remember Carmageddon, but I sort of feel like I missed out. Here's hoping the reboot is good.

Reincarnation's announcement was the first time I donated to a project on Kickstarter. I can't help but feel the negative comments here regarding the first game in particular are misguided at best; the physics, multiple methods to complete a race, soundtrack, and vision put many recent games to shame.

Each to their own, I hope reincarnation gives the large politically correct and by the numbers stick that's currently wedged up the industry's ass an almighty punt.

thaluikhain:
Eh, Carmageddon was only popular because it was new and daring to run people over a lot.

The game itself wasn't that special. I remember continually getting style points for elaborate maneouvers I wasn't trying to do nor knew they existed. Just driving around and being praised for creative stunts.

I agree. With franchises like Saint's Row and GTA, which let you do the same thing, along with plenty of other things, I don't think that a game like that will be as good today as it was back then.

Doom972:
I agree. With franchises like Saint's Row and GTA, which let you do the same thing, along with plenty of other things, I don't think that a game like that will be as good today as it was back then.

Especially if it was remade into a grey and brown FPS.

thaluikhain:

Doom972:

What if you are a car instead of a human in a FPS?

Evil Smurf:

thaluikhain:

Doom972:

Actually, if the next CoD replaced all humans with cars...

DVS BSTrD:
I wonder if they'll run an anti-mom ad campaign like Visceral did with Dead Space 2:
If your parents don't like it, they can get Bentley

*golf clap* Bravo, good sir, bravo!

Evil Smurf:

thaluikhain:

Doom972:

It would actually be innovative and unique?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here