Woman Loves Science, Astounds Facebook

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Woman Loves Science, Astounds Facebook

"Is this 2013?" Andrew asks, as she dips a toe into the Twitterverse.

If you have a Facebook account, odds are you've seen I Fucking Love Science at some point, either because you went looking for it or because someone on your Friends list posted one of its many thought-provoking messages. Its owner and administrator, Elise Andrew, recently decided that Twitter was the place to be, so she opened up an account, posted a few Tweets, and then told her Facebook followers about said Twitter profile. Which has become a thing, because up until a few short hours ago, many of I Fucking Love Science's followers were unaware that Andrews was a she.

Mayhem ensued, as minds were blown. "EVERY COMMENT on that thread is about how shocking it is that I'm a woman!" Andrew Tweeted. "Is this really 2013?" It's not as though Andrew kept her identity under wraps; she's talked about herself in many other interviews. The data just hadn't trickled down to Facebook.

Andrew has said she's astonished by some of the Facebook comments, but it's unlikely that the woman who fucking loves nudibranchs, Gallium, bat-eating spiders and - of course - science cake, will let this bother her for long. If you're interested in the Twitter feed of someone funny who writes, sleeps, eats and breathes science, have a look over here.

Source: Facebook

Are many people actually surprised that this surprised many people?

Hopefully they get over it, though, and it doesn't devolve into rape threats and so on.

Women in science are less shocking than doctors in hospitals.

thaluikhain:

Hopefully they get over it, though, and it doesn't devolve into rape threats and so on.

You just had to jinx it didn't you?

Boris Goodenough:

thaluikhain:

You just had to jinx it didn't you?

Ummm...here's hoping it doesn't lead to wide-ranging societal improvements?

Ill point it out, but not only is she a female shes also a fairly attractive one at that - even more astounding!

Most people are idiots so who cares.

It's depressing that this matters in any way shape or form. The fact that things like this are still 'issues' is really quite disappointing.

I wonder what Maddox has to say about this, after he bashed that Facebook group not too long ago.

Probably something along the lines of "Well that explains a lot".

Blarg, this is just getting depressing.

Isn't it more likely that the name 'Andrew' is a boy name and so the assumption that Andrews is male a natural one to make?

I'd always assumed the page was run by multiple people. More surprised that it's controlled by one person than that it's a woman.

Thank you again Internet for reminding me of the collective stupidity of people. I don't know what's worst, that some people thought she was a male, that some people were shocked she wasn't a male or that people felt they had to post their shock that she was not a male.

Scrythe:
I wonder what Maddox has to say about this, after he bashed that Facebook group not too long ago.

I think there have been several comics, blogs and posts that carry about the same message: There is a difference between science FANS and actual SCIENTISTS. You don't even have to be a scientist, just be able to comprehend a research paper, which is what people who call themselves science fans should actually be reading.

This just in, there are also people surprised that there are men who like My Little Pony.

I'm more surprised that this annoying group still doesn't realize that half the shit they spam people's walls with has nothing to do with science. The closest they ever get is by spamming me with ages old XKCD comics. I actually removed a friend from my friends list recently because I was sick of her spamming links to images from the page because I couldn't figure out how to filter out those posts.

luvd1:
Thank you again Internet for reminding me of the collective stupidity of people. I don't know what's worst, that some people thought she was a male, that some people were shocked she wasn't a male or that people felt they had to post their shock that she was not a male.

And if Yahtzee told everyone he is actually a lady people would not be shocked at all right?
If you use a name that is predominantly used by one gender people will take that as a given, and if their reality gets shattered down the line they might be a little shocked by it.

But hey when the sexism flamewars need fuel might as well chuck it on the pile.

This kind of unintentionally sexist thinking would worry me, if it weren't for the fact that the majority of people who like that shitty page are probably 14 years old.

Think of how many more women scientists there would be if it weren't for dong jokes! :(

DVS BSTrD:
Think of how many more women scientists there would be if it weren't for dong jokes! :(

Please don't bring that up again.

Ukomba:
This just in, there are also people surprised that there are men who like My Little Pony.

Really? What kind of weirdo would do that? :p

I am slightly dissapointed that the Science Cake was just a cake with science written on it.

You know, when I read the title of this news article, I was sure that the escapist had fallen for an article on the onion. But alas, no, facebook is just being dumb as per usual.

Too bad that page kinda like...sucks. A lot. For reference, see the Maddox post about. Kinda nails it.

Edit: Why is this even 'news' though? Because sexism is a prevalent discussion these days and this will get page views? This just isn't newsworthy in any way, shape or form.

Scrythe:

While I agree with Maddox's post as it was written, it was clearly written quite a while ago, since a significant portion of I Fucking Love Science's Facebook posts now actually are scientific in nature. It's no longer just a bunch of pretty pictures and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. The vast majority of it is strictly science, with only a couple of funny pictures tangentially related to science. Some 25-50% of the posts are breaking news articles from a variety of scientific fields showing the advances humanity is making, which is outright fascinating.

He is right, though, that many of the people that like the page know NOTHING about science, and are only in it for fad purposes. Luckily, most posts now are no longer geared towards those simpletons.

OT: I've been following IFLS for awhile, and I've known for awhile that she was female. Granted, I didn't know that she was an attractive female, but that's irrelevant. At least several of the posts about the page itself have included comments by people that know her personally, and a few of these have "she" or "her" in them.

Can't see how it could be a big deal, though I imagine many of the shocked posts aren't shocked because of some revulsion, but just surprised. Those that ARE revolted have clearly never been to a university, where chemistry and biology classes have no shortage of females.

People are stupid on the internet stop the presses. Wait you say this happens every second okay then it's kind of pointless to make a article about it oh wait.

Like... 90% of the "I Fucking Love Science" shares that show up on my Facebook Feed are from women... What I really find strange is that people find it so strange that women can "fucking love science"...

I saw that post on my news feed about her twitter. Hadn't actually occurred to me that it's a woman that ran the page, purely cos I don't think it matters at all.

Did...did she not have her profile pic up before people found this out? Have they been completely clueless while her face has been plastered on every post? Are we...really that stupid?

I'm surprised...

I thought that something like that would be run by more than a single person. Say something like a group of 2-6 people who look for content, ask someone else about it before posting it, and then putting it up. The people wouldn't even have to see each other or anything as something like this could be run online by a few friends from different areas. The fact that only one person is doing this and looking and judging all the content on their own does surprise me a little.

Mr.K.:

luvd1:

And if Yahtzee told everyone he is actually a lady people would not be shocked at all right?
If you use a name that is predominantly used by one gender people will take that as a given, and if their reality gets shattered down the line they might be a little shocked by it.

Andew is a surname as well as a first name.

This is twitter/the internet, since when has this kind of stupidity been surprising?

I remember when I first started visiting this site. It was pretty much "These sites are not worth getting worked up about, they are full of idiots" or "Get a thicker skin". Now the prevalent attitude seems to be "What kind of world are we living in?!".

People seem to be getting incredibly worked up about pretty much everything nowadays.

I gotta be honest. This really isn't a news story and more just about promoting the acts of an attention whore. No really cause I'm not seeing her do anything aside from saying that there is "sexism" and pushing the fact that she is a woman and making it a big deal like she is somehow a gift from the heavens.

It really is reports like this that just make me cringe cause it really doesn't accomplish anything. Hell even soft news stories involve some sort of actual interaction like the Donkey Kong hack. This? She is just making a big deal because she is a woman who pursued or landed a career in science. Something a lot of women do everyday. Science cares not for your gender and it shouldn't be the part you should be pushing compared to what you are actually working towards for the betterment of mankind.

EDIT: I get that we are meant to promote ourselves. Not only for our own personal self-confidence but more importantly in order to actually make ourselves appear viable as a candidate to advance our careers within a company or to be recruited by a company. I get that. We all do it and ask any person looking for a job or someone who gives career advice they will tell you that you have to make the case that you are better than the rest.

But what exactly are we getting from this woman as the reason? Because she's a woman...that is a terrible case if I was a hiring manager. As well as her personality of how she laments on sexism to which sexism is so broadly defined now that anything can be sexist now as we have seen even on these forums.

But the point of self-promotion isn't to promote yourself towards everyone, you need to do that to a specific set of people. When you start to promote yourself to everyone and make a terrible case you only come out like an attention whore.

Mr.K.:

luvd1:

That is such bull.
Yahtzee is not even a name, the only reason why we think he is male is because we have heard his voice and have seen his picture. If all he did was write articles under the name Yahtzee none of us would have been surprised if he turned out to be a lady. But then, he would also have to escape using male pronouns in reference to himself.
Now what about guys named Ashley from England where that's not abnormal? They need to change their names because in America its a girl's name? The whole point is, even if you are surprised, to make a big deal of it is ridiculous

Tenmar:
I gotta be honest. This really isn't a news story and more just about promoting the acts of an attention whore. No really cause I'm not seeing her do anything aside from saying that there is "sexism" and pushing the fact that she is a woman and making it a big deal like she is somehow a gift from the heavens.

It really is reports like this that just make me cringe cause it really doesn't accomplish anything. Hell even soft news stories involve some sort of actual interaction like the Donkey Kong hack. This? She is just making a big deal because she is a woman who pursued or landed a career in science. Something a lot of women do everyday. Science cares not for your gender and it shouldn't be the part you should be pushing compared to what you are actually working towards for the betterment of mankind.

I think it is supposed to be about how people are so surprised that she is a woman. That people either automatically assumed she was a man beforehand, or that they are all telling her how hot she is, or hot it is that she is a scientist.

The argument being that nobody would be behaving like this if she was a male.

Then again, a year ago we never got topics such as this. Ever since the Tomb Raider/Hitman controversies, sexism seems to have become the current hot topic.

1. It shouldn't matter whether she's a woman or not.
2. Her Facebook page is rather crappy.
3. It's stupid pepole being stupid pepole. Nothin' new here.

Off-topic:

Damn, first Vault101, now Katatori-kun? Vault banned for... I dunno, posting a picture of a crying baby, and Katatori-kun banned for unintentionally insulting McDonalds employees, even AFTER correcting himself and stating that he didn't do it on purpose? Who next? Fappy? DoPo? Sad times, sad times indeed.

The page's recent content has, as mentioned by some of the folk above, been mostly updates on new and interesting discoveries. And y'know what? Maddox is so incredibly full of himself. And entirely wrong. Spectacularly wrong.

See, there's not a damn thing wrong with finding amusement in the periphery of science, or beauty in some of the images that we've gotten as a consequence of space or deep-sea exploration. And I get that he doesn't like seeing poliical things mixed in with science, but guess what? Science has a political bias. It's toward the pursuit of truth, and if your political stance clashes badly with science, you should carefully consider whether it also clashes badly with reality.

There's an old joke about scientists changing their minds if they get new information, and politicians not liking that.

And for what it's worth, I wasn't surprised. I'm also not surprised that some people were. Some people are kind of dumb. That said, encouraging people to appreciate the best tools in humanity's intellectual toolbox does kinda help with that.

Ukomba:
Isn't it more likely that the name 'Andrew' is a boy name and so the assumption that Andrews is male a natural one to make?

I'd always assumed the page was run by multiple people. More surprised that it's controlled by one person than that it's a woman.

Would be, except Andrews is clearly a surname because of the S at the end. Like, I've never met anyone with the first name Michaels or Reynolds or whatever; the S almost always denotes a surname.

I did assume it was multiple people too, though. Give the seemingly endless barrage of images, I'd figured there was a company of the motherfuckers working round the clock.

Bolwing:
1. It shouldn't matter whether she's a woman or not.
2. Her Facebook page is rather crappy.
3. It's stupid pepole being stupid pepole. Nothin' new here.

Off-topic:

Damn, first Vault101, now Katatori-kun? Vault banned for... I dunno, posting a picture of a crying baby, and Katatori-kun banned for unintentionally insulting McDonalds employees, even AFTER correcting himself and stating that he didn't do it on purpose? Who next? Fappy? DoPo? Sad times, sad times indeed.

Well can't speak about Vault but Katatori-Kun was banned not for insulting McDonald's fry cooks but insulting the escapist community. Remember he said to a demographic that has a good range of professionals and young adults still getting their education or in the work force that the escapist community has never moved beyond anything past retail/food service industry jobs and not the middle management jobs or having the experience of being at a professional convention.

To where Katatori screwed up. Even his apology shouldn't of been towards McDonald's Fry cooks(to which I always make sure the people who are serving me food are actually appreciated because there are a ton of thankless jobs out there) it should of been to the escapist community.

Also for the record I've actually volunteered for Anime Expo, been to E3 twice back in the early 2000's and have volunteered at IndieCade.

Legion:

I think it is supposed to be about how people are so surprised that she is a woman. That people either automatically assumed she was a man beforehand, or that they are all telling her how hot she is, or hot it is that she is a scientist.

The argument being that nobody would be behaving like this if she was a male.

Then again, a year ago we never got topics such as this. Ever since the Tomb Raider/Hitman controversies, sexism seems to have become the current hot topic.

I know that we are supposed to be surprised but I think anything is going to be surprising when you do grandstanding to complete strangers on the internet compared to doing grandstanding in the area you are physically living in. Which is why these reports are just terrible because they don't really do anything but promotion for the person who is promoting oneself.

I don't even care about the argument about gender but just how unimportant stories like this are being made to feel important is just ridiculous.

As for the controversies. Honestly, it just shocks me at how as a republican people who consist of these controversies could easily become part of the religious right movement. I mean compared to the actual religious right seeing people write these articles basically pushing their own morality and ideology onto everyone else yet calling themselves a victim/hero while calling everyone else a troll/bully(which is ironic in itself considering the fact that an act of a bully requires constantly insulting people) makes the religious right look like a bunch of centrists.

From all these controversies I have yet to actually see how they either as individuals or an outraged group actually have made the hobby of playing video games or make the video game industry better. For all their complaining I've yet to see something actually productive because all their complaints are built upon an outrage of a medium that is completely fictional.

I mean I think of video games and the pursuit of realism and that pursuit was for realistic graphics and that was it. Not realism in the sense of actually giving fictional characters rights of an actual human being. I mean the whole hitman controversy made an entire group of female assassins, to which the hitman series has always been incredibly silly as Agent 47 is a genetic experiment out of many, to be victims for trying to kill Agent 47. A game that doesn't take itself too seriously and it showed through the franchise had it's major complaints because the people complaining took the game too seriously.

If ya ask me I think that there are too many apologists that are in a some editorial position that would rather spend their time making the case against the very industry they care about rather than actually do some journalism and interview and investigate the motives and background of the people who are causing these controversies in the first place.

There are so many stories out there that affect the video game industry daily but very few actually have the resources and connections to actually do the hard journalism that is needed to get hobbyists to really have the video game industry grow in the same vein of other medium.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here