The Elder Scrolls "Perfectly Suited" for MMOs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Elder Scrolls "Perfectly Suited" for MMOs

Bethesda hopes The Elder Scrolls' popularity will be enough to interest gamers in The Elder Scrolls Online.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was Bethesda Softworks' biggest success, propelling the Elder Scrolls name into the center stage of the gaming world as no previous entry in the franchise yet had. With Elder Scrolls Online currently in development, Bethesda is now hoping that the franchise's name will be big enough to draw gamers into the company's first venture in the MMO space.

"It is a crowded space, but this is Elder Scrolls," said Matt Firor, director of the Elder Scrolls Online. "One of things of having a huge IP like Elder Scrolls is it cuts through the noise. It's safe to say - looking at the lines for people to play - that everyone knows about it. That is the first step to getting a lot of people into the game. Part of the crowded landscape is it's hard to get your message out there. When you say 'Elder Scrolls', we don't have a problem getting the message out, which helps us immensely,"

While Firor is confident the Elder Scrolls brand will be enough to catch the attention of gamers, it may take more than name recognition to keep them hooked. Firor believes it won't be hard for the franchise, one of the early progenitors of open world gaming, to make the jump to online. "Everything it brings with it intrinsically is almost perfectly suited for an MMO," said Firor. "Giant open world, lots of cool classes, lots of history and depth, the cool combat system that you just experienced. That came from Elder Scrolls."

While it's hard to fault Firor for his pride in the Elder Scrolls franchise, it still might be best for Bethesda to be careful not to think The Elder Scrolls Online will market itself. While a recognizable name can definitely help in building up hype and anticipation, arguably bigger properties have made similar attempts only to fall short. That being said, Bethesda has a good track record for RPGs, and recent previews of the Elder Scrolls Online suggest the publisher is on its way to building a game that is just as engrossing as Skyrim. If it can manage that feat, it might not have to rely on just the Elder Scrolls name to sell.

Source: GamesIndustry International

Sadly I think the same thing will happen with ESO as TOR. Mainly people will get the game, blow through the content in a month, the realize that there isn't much end game content, complain, ESO goes free to play.

See, I hear him talking and all I hear is "WE'RE RIDING OFF THE POPULARITY OF A WELL KNOWN IP.".. That doesn't make for a good MMO, that makes for a god damn disaster.

GAunderrated:
Sadly I think the same thing will happen with ESO as TOR. Mainly people will get the game, blow through the content in a month, the realize that there isn't much end game content, complain, ESO goes free to play.

This is what it looks like, another god damn developer latching onto a big name to produce a half baked product in an effort to rake in cash.

Elate:
See, I hear him talking and all I hear is "WE'RE RIDING OFF THE POPULARITY OF A WELL KNOWN IP.".. That doesn't make for a good MMO, that makes for a god damn disaster.

GAunderrated:

This is what it looks like, another god damn developer latching onto a big name to produce a half baked product in an effort to rake in cash.

and what? Should we just stop making MMO's even though people enjoy them? Or should we only expect MMO's with original IP's instead of MMO's of franchises we all know and love?

to be honest i really don't care much of MMO's of original IP's, how can i be excited and care for a world that i've never heard of? at least with World of Warcraft i knew exactly what Azeroth was like. At least with Final fantasy Online i knew it would be an adventure with the games i grew up with as a kid.

Bethesda is doing it right (even though this is Zenimax online studios) They built a world that has been bringing in people for years now and people have been wanting multiplayer since Morrowind. They finally are giving us that and we will see how well they accomplish it. I'm not saying that it will be a success or NOT go the way of TOR. but saying that its "just a greedy company latching onto a big name just to rake in cash" is really far from fair when we basically been requesting it all these years.

To clarify im not saying i hate new IP's breaking into the MMO market but very little attempt to absorb you into the world and experiences that come with exploring the worlds they make. Guild wars 2 being the closest but not as much as it could of.

Absolutely NONE of these qualities matter unless you know specifically how to keep people engaged in your game

GAunderrated:

And honestly, how can you possible get more recognition and more open world potential than Star Wars? And unless they're not basing it on Skyrim, don't try to sell us on the combat. But I do like reading books...

I'm not really into the mmo scene but something seems off about this. I liked Skyrim but that was due to all the crazy stuff you could do with mods. Nothing about the world really grabbed me since it was all just elves dragons and occasional evil god which is found in almost any fantasy world.

The pull of the game was the player and their journey and how you wrote your own story no matter how insane or random that was, kill off the dark brotherhood and run into a talking dog outside the door? Sure! Why not!

I just have no idea how they can capture that magic when some guard is asking you kill 12 mudcraps and bring back their claws.

I really only see this going down the route of DCU or TOR

Which spike do you think do you think Blizzard will mount this game's head on? I'm thinking they'll use the gold w/diamonds one so they can put it right next The Old Republic's head. Because this article is describing EXACTLY TO THE FREAKING WORD WHAT EA TRIED TO DO AND GOT IT ASS HANDED TO IT. And they had a much more viable franchise.

Seriously developers, unless your NCSoft do not bother attempting to make an MMO of any kind. You'll just be slaughtered by World of Warcraft, people will lose their jobs and a crap-ton of money and WoW will just make more money. It's about as good an idea as getting into a naval war with the US; you're basically committing suicide and giving the other side free practice.

I think they've set the series in the wrong era if they want to push it into MMO format. It's an era where everyone knows what is going to eventually happen. Allowing the Dragonborn saga/DLC to be over and setting the game maybe 50-100 years after THAT would be an improvement.

I'm really hoping this is an amazing game, but I can't play MMOs anymore :(

Still I really want this game to do really well since it might lay the groundwork for even bigger Elder Scrolls main games in the future with huge maps :)

Kazedarkwind:
snip

Dude got your shift key check out. You got some of the weirdest capitalization I've ever seen in that post.

Kazedarkwind:
-Snip

Yeah, people wanted multiplayer, not massive multiplayer. They wanted multiplayer, with the same style of game that already exists.

They haven't delivered that, it's clear as day this is just another cookie cutter MMO, with skills bars and what not. My gripe isn't with established IPs making MMOs. Star Trek Online is frankly one of the best F2Ps I've ever played, and that is well established, my problem is with developers taking existing IPs that they know people will buy just because of the name, an hashing out an MMO because they want to be "THE NEXT WOW".

They can FOAD along with Blizzard, yet another IP I've spent time through the years learning lore only to put the continuing storyline in something that I will not play. Thanks dicks.

Cormyre:
They can FOAD along with Blizzard, yet another IP I've spent time through the years learning lore only to put the continuing storyline in something that I will not play. Thanks dicks.

That is one thing that really disturbed me about MMO's. WoW for example: I was the biggest warcraft fan back in the warcraft 1,2, and 3 era. I knew all the lore and loved the story along with the game mechanics. Then WoW came out and I refused to buy subscription and held onto it for nearly 10 years. However, I am no longer involved with the warcraft lore I loved so much because its tied to something that I will never play.

Now that will happen with The Elder Scrolls and hopefully I won't have another fallout like with warcraft

I've definitely wanted the option to play co-op in like Fallout 3 or Skyrim and whatnot, but an MMO is...not exactly what I was thinking about :/

Cormyre:

Then read a plot summary a few months after it comes out. The Elder Scrolls has it's own wiki, you know. Honestly, I don't see how the lore will be an issue since this is a prequel set in a time no existing lore has talked (in-depth) about. The timeline though, is gonna be a bitch.

Elate:

Kazedarkwind:
-Snip

Yeah, people wanted multiplayer, not massive multiplayer. They wanted multiplayer, with the same style of game that already exists.

They haven't delivered that, it's clear as day this is just another cookie cutter MMO, with skills bars and what not. My gripe isn't with established IPs making MMOs. Star Trek Online is frankly one of the best F2Ps I've ever played, and that is well established, my problem is with developers taking existing IPs that they know people will buy just because of the name, an hashing out an MMO because they want to be "THE NEXT WOW".

"They haven't delivered that, it's clear as day this is just another cookie cutter MMO, with skills bars and what not."
1. Make no attempt to look up information on a game in development.
2. Comment on said game.
3. ???
4. Profit.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7pGJQV-jlzDNBXGWlyGOuIqyMcqYQ9VK Here, watch these and find out more about the game before commenting on it.

Call me a cynical bastard, but part of me hopes this game fails tremendously. The market's already over-saturated with MMOs, and from what I've seen so far they're not exactly doing anything innovative. :/

Eh.... I have loved TES for a long time, but I'm not jumping on this one. The combat sounds fine enough, but I loved exploring the worlds more than anything and nothing ruins such a personal experience than XxRandomStupidNamexX running up on you and jumping up and down, dancing, or attacking me. And since it most likely will be a game with a monthly fee, that is a turn off for me as well. I played lots of MMO's with monthly fees in the past and I'm kinda done with them. I know how I am as a gamer. A monthly fee is only viable for me if I play that game all the time. Since I know I game jump quite often, any game that charges a monthly fee is big fat no. I honestly would kill myself if I had the free time to devote to an MMO with a monthly fee like other MMO gamers.

Sorry, I can't bite on this one. I also feel that it's a little stupid to think ESO will sell just because TES games are well known at this point. I think I know so many people who have been burned by MMO's that it's only getting harder to sell one to them. Big names have tried to sell games in the past. As others have commented, TOR is about as big as you can get and it made a record change to the F2P. By that time, all my friends had stopped playing it and moved on, so there was no reason for me to play it.

Good luck and I look forward to your next single player game. But seeing as how this all you care about at the moment, I'll just keep playing player created Skyrim content once any good official expansion have stopped coming.

Game is doomed to fail as the "internet troll brigade of hate" is already targeting it and unless it shits gold bricks and gives happy endings it has no chance.

It's apparently already destroying lives and childhoods according to the above posts. Even though it hasn't stated it is a WOW killer it's being touted as one by the pre-release hating masses who haven't put their hands on it yet.... Because you can only have ONE MMORPG in the market at anyone time.

/slowclap

Good game internet gamer community.... Good game.

Mypetmonkey:
Game is doomed to fail as the "internet troll brigade of hate" is already targeting it and unless it shits gold bricks and gives happy endings it has no chance.

Maybe your standards a little low. Why can't we expect a game to shit gold bricks and give me a happy ending?

Yeah TES recognition is perfectly suited to ride the money wave, the rest isn't MMO material at all however.
Best we can hope for is this going free to play within the year so the regular TES program can continue as scheduled.

It will crash and burn. Elder Scrolls is not an MMO franchise and never will be. Sad to see them waste time, money and effort.

Kazedarkwind:
Or should we only expect MMO's with original IP's instead of MMO's of franchises we all know and love?

the numbers show that original IP MMOs are doing the best and the well known brands get a burst for first month and then dwindle and die. for short term profit franchise mmos work. for any stable profits original IPs take the cake.

IF they took the areas that we already saw, skyrim, morrowind, oblivion, joined them and just allowed multiple players roam freely in there, it could work. but they wont let that happen. oh no, they will invent a new gameplay, that will likely destroy the fun TES made and alienate already existing fans, and otherts wont come because all that wanted already came for skyrim.

If they want it to work long term, it won't be like any TES you've played before, because of balancing reasons.

if you want it to work like a TES game it'll be full of balance issues, bugs and lack of a modding scene which helped the last games survive as a title for so long.

Feels like one of those games that shouldn't ever have the word "MMO" tagged to it.

MMORPG's are a dead end. Unless you're willing to do with ArenaNet did with their Guild Wars franchise (buy once like a singleplayer game, play forever) I just don't see any other MMO models working.

Sound's like Bethesda are gambling quite a lot on their existing fanbase making the jump to an MMO; correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Todd Howard - director of all the Elder Scrolls that matter - say something like "if the install base really mattered, we'd all be making table-top games, because there are a lot of tables"?

I'm intrigued by this new foray into MMOs, but I honestly can't see it going well.

Still cautiously optimistic about this game, it looks quite promising.

All of the people that have had hands-on experience with the Alpha build seemed very excited and surprised about the game. Whether that will remain for the final version is the question of course, but it's still a promising start.

Most of the hate coming at this game seems to come from people who don't have any interest in MMOs anyway so I don't really see that as a problem. CoD gets much more hate, seemingly mostly from people who don't play it, and I don't see it suffering because of it.

So yeah, I'll be following this one with interest but I'll reserve my final judgement for after it's released and the first reviews are in.

To me, the Elder Scrolls has always seemed very close to a single player MMO. Bland quests, terrible story, awful mechanics, but an amazing world. Now they just need to dial down the graphics and add in multiplayer functionality and hey presto!

Will it work? I doubt it. I see it becoming a new TOR.

Meh. Elder Scrolls has been going downhill since Morrowind, I guess this'll just continue that trend. No big change there, just wasted time and effort.

Paragon Fury:

Seriously developers, unless your NCSoft do not bother attempting to make an MMO of any kind.

Arenanet would like to have a word.

All i can say is DO NOT BUY THIS ON RELEASE, atleast wait a week or two, try it out first on your friends account or youtube it like a motherfucker. Let's not have another age of conan,warhammer online, swtor etc etc etc. I still think that every new mmo dev has too high hopes. Everyone wants the same ammount of subscriptions that WOW has but that's impossible.

Frostbite3789:

Paragon Fury:

Seriously developers, unless your NCSoft do not bother attempting to make an MMO of any kind.

Arenanet would like to have a word.

NCSoft you mean? You know, with Arenanet being owned by them and all...

Just another MMO. No time for inventive gameplay, reactive dialogue or satisfying plots in here. Let's just hope this results in Bethesda Game Studios having more resources backing them in the future, hopefully allowing them to take more chances and adress long time fan's concerns with series since Oblivion and Skyrim's releases.

Kazedarkwind:

and what? Should we just stop making MMO's even though people enjoy them? Or should we only expect MMO's with original IP's instead of MMO's of franchises we all know and love?

You know, I wouldn't be against MMOS not being made for at least 5 years. The problem that plagued the mmo world for so long is that the devs, or people at the head of these projects have all been creatively dead for a decade now.

We've all had this dance before, it basically repeated dozens of time: New mmo announced, it promises it will be better than it's predecessors, revolutionize a few things, won't repeat it's mistake.
Then it gets released, everybody sees that apart from a new coat of paint and some new minor features, it's the same old story: afterthought pvp, no lasting endgame, the pointless grind for gear that in the end will leave you empty inside because you'll realise there's nothing really left to do.

I wouldn't be against new MMOs if these devs understood that mmos are NOT singleplayer games with multiplayer lobbys, with a driving storyline. Because these ALL fail. They ALL have. Granted they stay afloat but they all lost a considerable amount of their subscribers, and are now just drifting in the sea of mmo mediocrity among a lot of others, unrecognizable from each other.

It's going to be especially glaring in TES since Elder Scrolls was always about freedom: freedom of choice, freedom of class, freedom of play. If you wanted to be a brigand that robs houses and attacks people on the road, hey you could. Want to be a wandering hunter that hunts animals and uses their mats for crafting ? You could. Want to be a strange mage/knight hybrid and buy a house somewhere in Skyrim ? Yep.
And so far, I don't think TESO will have any of that. It will be your standard MMO from start to finish with added action combat, some pvp to keep some people busy until the inevitable balance issues between factions ensues and devs have put no failsafe for that, and pve endgame which will consist in going to finish whatever dungeon with a boss that you gonna grind again and again to get that last piece of gear.

Busard:

Kazedarkwind:

You know, I wouldn't be against MMOS not being made for at least 5 years. The problem that plagued the mmo world for so long is that the devs, or people at the head of these projects have all been creatively dead for a decade now.

We've all had this dance before, it basically repeated dozens of time: New mmo announced, it promises it will be better than it's predecessors, revolutionize a few things, won't repeat it's mistake.
Then it gets released, everybody sees that apart from a new coat of paint and some new minor features, it's the same old story: afterthought pvp, no lasting endgame, the pointless grind for gear that in the end will leave you empty inside because you'll realise there's nothing really left to do.

I wouldn't be against new MMOs if these devs understood that mmos are NOT singleplayer games with multiplayer lobbys, with a driving storyline. Because these ALL fail. They ALL have. Granted they stay afloat but they all lost a considerable amount of their subscribers, and are now just drifting in the sea of mmo mediocrity among a lot of others, unrecognizable from each other.

It's going to be especially glaring in TES since Elder Scrolls was always about freedom: freedom of choice, freedom of class, freedom of play. If you wanted to be a brigand that robs houses and attacks people on the road, hey you could. Want to be a wandering hunter that hunts animals and uses their mats for crafting ? You could. Want to be a strange mage/knight hybrid and buy a house somewhere in Skyrim ? Yep.
And so far, I don't think TESO will have any of that. It will be your standard MMO from start to finish with added action combat, some pvp to keep some people busy until the inevitable balance issues between factions ensues and devs have put no failsafe for that, and pve endgame which will consist in going to finish whatever dungeon with a boss that you gonna grind again and again to get that last piece of gear.

Exactly. I'm just sitting here waiting to see what features they decide to strip from the game that are part of the core of the Elder Scrolls series since Morrowind.

StewShearer:
"It is a crowded space, but this is Elder Scrolls," said Matt Firor, director of the Elder Scrolls Online.

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that's what Bioware said about Star Wars and The Old Republic.

Besides, a TES game would be pretty interesting as an mmo. Why the hell was there a hotbar in here again? I thought people stopped trying to compete with WoW.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here