Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Gets a Release Date

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Gets a Release Date

Square Enix confirms a announces release date for the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster in a new trailer.

Final Fantasy X was first announced to be getting an HD remake at the Tokyo Game Show in 2011, after which we heard next to nothing about it for almost two years. Finally, in February 2013, the Square Enix showed off a tech demo demonstrating the remake's improved visuals on the PlayStation Vita. A month later reports emerged suggesting the game would actually be a collection comprised of Final Fantasy X and its sequel, Final Fantasy X-2. Square Enix has now confirmed these reports, showing off a new trailer for the HD Remaster collection and giving fans a release date to look forward to. The HD remakes of Final Fantasy X and X-2 will be coming to PlayStation 3 and Vita in North America on December 31st, 2013.

The announcement isn't without caveats, however. The PlayStation 3 will be receiving the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, a collection including both HD remakes on one disc, priced at $39.99. The Vita versions of Final Fantasy X and X-2 however, will be sold as separate games, the price of which has yet to be announced. While disappointing, it's not the first time HD collections have been altered when coming to the Vita. The North American version of the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for consoles contained Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and Peace Walker. The Vita version cost $40, the same as on consoles, but dropped Peace Walker, asking fans to pay the same for less.

We can only hope that Square Enix won't go a similar route and, instead, opts to price the Vita versions of Final Fantasy X and X-2 more fairly. If it does otherwise, we'll have to see what's more powerful, the forces of frugality or the desire of Final Fantasy fans to play these games on the go. Then again, they could just buy the HD Remaster, which is already available for pre-order on Amazon.

Source: Polygon

Note: The original article mistakenly states the release date was announced by Square Enix. The December 31st, 2013 date actually comes from Amazon and could be subject to change.

And what about we who do not live in the US? I am gald they gave a date but A. It is the end of the year which sucks and B. Will I have to wait until Jan/Feb?

Blitzball and dress hunting now in HD, what's not to love?

It should also be noted that Square Enix confirmed both Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 will have their respective International Edition content in the English HD release, so hurrah!

Great, I have a whole year to hustle enough money to buy a PS3 now:-P

December 31st, 2013. Ugh. Was hoping for something a lot sooner!

Still I look forward to it. I've been holding off a replay of X and X-2 for this!

The release date hasn't actually been confirmed by Square Enix yet, it's just taken from the amazon page, so it may be a place holder. I hope so, I don't want to wait that long.

If they port it to the 360, I'll consider it. Until then, my PS3 remains on PS1 duty.

Gizmo1990:
And what about we who do not live in the US? I am gald they gave a date but A. It is the end of the year which sucks and B. Will I have to wait until Jan/Feb?

The PS3 isn't region-locked so if they do something annoying like wait 3 months to release in Europe, you can just import it.

My other thoughts pretty much end at WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Only issue I have, for now is...

Japan Y U screw up American box art?

Put words BELOW pretty picture, not on it.
:/

This would be exciting if it was coming out on Wii U or at least PC.

Looks like I won't be playing any HD-remakes of SquareEnix games.

Huzzah, only one more year until we can hear some of the worst voice acting in a generation. I can hardly wait.

Chaos James:
This would be exciting if it was coming out on Wii U or at least PC.

Looks like I won't be playing any HD-remakes of SquareEnix games.

So true.
Final Fantasy games on Steam? A person can dream...

FinalDream:
December 31st, 2013. Ugh. Was hoping for something a lot sooner!

Still I look forward to it. I've been holding off a replay of X and X-2 for this!

Ditto. Kind of depressing. Really looking forward to this.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Huzzah, only one more year until we can hear some of the worst voice acting in a generation. I can hardly wait.

Are you gonna quote that one scene again? You know, ignore the rest of the VA work, which was pretty darn good, for a scene taken heavily out of context?

Oy, I hate it when people do that.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

PrinceOfShapeir:

Are you gonna quote that one scene again? You know, ignore the rest of the VA work, which was pretty darn good, for a scene taken heavily out of context?

So do I, here we are more than a decade later and people still don't understand the intent of the scene. Here's a clue folks, it was supposed to sound like a forced laugh.

Also, December 31...that sucks.

Awesome. People can now be reminded that FF13 wasn't the first Final Fantasy to be one long hallway.

Not the release date.
It says definitely 2013, Amazon are just covering that date for pre-orders.
So it's any time during 2013.

News like this is why I read the escapist, thank you escapist news team :)

Yeah I think December 31st is a placeholder. Did SE actually announce a release date?

Glad to hear it Final Fantasy X is my favorite. Actually its the only FF I've ever really got into if I'm honest.

Anyone have a link to this new trailer??

If its coming to the US, is it likely gonna be released at a similar time in the UK? =/ I was excited when I heard Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories was getting an English dub and they just never released that here for seemingly no reason at all.

Well at least it's on the horizon, but it's going to be so late that the PS4 will have come out by the time it's released. I want this game but I'm going to hold off on preordering (which is basically almost always a sensible thing to do anyway) because who knows whats going to happen by then.

If you know anything at all about Amazon, you'd know that when they put something up for preorder what has no data other than a year, they always default to December 31st. It's a placeholder. Popular rumor on Japanese websites is June.

Crono1973:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

PrinceOfShapeir:

So do I, here we are more than a decade later and people still don't understand the intent of the scene. Here's a clue folks, it was supposed to sound like a forced laugh.

The voice acting in FFX was -bad-. The laughing scene was incredibly annoying, yes, but there were plenty of other scenes of nauseatingly bad acting and/or writing. Case in point, them ending practically every sentence with 'Y'know?' Like they've all got some form of Tourette's.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Crono1973:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

The voice acting in FFX was -bad-. The laughing scene was incredibly annoying, yes, but there were plenty of other scenes of nauseatingly bad acting and/or writing. Case in point, them ending practically every sentence with 'Y'know?' Like they've all got some form of Tourette's.

Playing it now, none of it is standing out to me. Maybe you should play it again to make sure it's really as bad as you remember.

Would if I could, but I don't have it or the means of playing it. Haven't played in some time, but I distinctly remember finding a good solid half of the party incredibly obnoxious.

Somewhere out there, there will be a dusty warehouse filled with Vita copies of Final Fantasy X2.

It will rot there, next to all of those UMD's.

God I hope they hurry up I can't wait much longer feels like I've been waiting a eternity for them, my ps vita hungers for them now :(

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here