Bioware Working on a New IP

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:
Maybe it'll be a game about magnet physics? So it really will be intended to polarize!

I've got my money on Train Crash simulator 2013 (because if they put the year in the title it can become an annual release without anyone giving it flack!) And every year after that will be another train wreck.

tmande2nd:
Did someone say Casey Hudson?

Sorry but that is like saying:
"GEORGE LUCAS IS WRITING THE DIALOGUE"
"BETHESDA IS DOING THE QA!"
"M Night is directing!"

We all know what Casey H. being part of something in a big way means.

True dat, Octopus. True dat. High five to all 8 tentacles

captcha: "know your rights"

Indeed.

I heard a rumour that the multiple endings of this game will be yellow, orange and purple. You can't say Bioware aren't innovative!

Hopefully it will deviate from their standard "You are the chosen one, now go fight this evil legend come to life" plot that they've held on to.

Also, in regards to Casey Hudson...the ending to Mass Effect 3 was a total disaster but did the entire internet conveniently forget that without him KOTOR, Jade Empire, and the entire Mass Effect trilogy would not exist? How quickly the people turn...

I am cautiously optimistic. I'd really like to see what it ends up being, as it will be the first brand new IP from BioWare in some time. Since 2009, I believe. I've really enjoyed most of BioWare's games in the past, especially the Mass Effect series, despite its serious flaws.

But only time will tell; I'll not be making any decisions until the IP is announced and info is made available.

Casey Hudson?

Well done, Bioware/EA marketing department. This is the type of thing you leave to the ending credits as the first name to pop up - if the ending is good. That's how you redeem someone.

You don't scuttle your new IP before it's even been announced by mentioning the lead writer is the person who managed to single-handedly destroy your greatest grossing IP ever.

Idiots.

JeanLuc761:
Hopefully it will deviate from their standard "You are the chosen one, now go fight this evil legend come to life" plot that they've held on to.

Also, in regards to Casey Hudson...the ending to Mass Effect 3 was a total disaster but did the entire internet conveniently forget that without him KOTOR, Jade Empire, and the entire Mass Effect trilogy would not exist? How quickly the people turn...

Gamers are irritatingly fickle. If something goes wrong they're quick to find a scapegoat and demand they be burned at the stake

What's this witch hunt about? Give the guy a chance, wait for reviews before you bad mouth the new IP

Ishigami:
Please don't suck, please don't suck.
And while we are at it: Don't be an MMO and don't be for any hand-held devices.

Legion:
"Oh. Casey Hudson is working on it."

Is there something wrong with that?
He also worked on BG2, SW:KotR, NWN and ME1 and those were good the last time I checked... (I'm pretty indifferent towards Jade Empire)

Yeah, but he was surrounded by more capable people. The more autonomy he has, the worse the games have become. He is also a vigorous lier, too much worried about PR. Several things he said about ME3 weren't in the game - and he said those things after the game was ready, just two months prior to the launch.

"There are many different endings. We wouldn't do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets?" "It won't be an A, B or C ending..." and so on...

well i hope it turns out to be a success but other companies now are making the games i want. speaking of which i want cyberpunk 2077 now !!!

2clueless:
Anyone else just kind of shrug at this? Anyone else just kind of tired of Bioware/EA?

I am getting sick unto death of news and press releases by these guys. All the market'ing in the world is not going to inspire confidence or win back goodwill and loyalty from fans of gaming past. Only good games will do that. So, shush up, get out from under the spot light, work quietly but passionately for a few years, come back with stuff that will blow our socks off.

If it is great, I will play it. But I have no faith at the moment that it will be great.

I really agree with that. Relying on PR to hype their games is not a good strategy at the moment. Specially a game that is actually just an idea and has nothing concrete behind it.

A good time to reveal a new IP in Bioware's case would be when the work is almost done and revealing some impressive screenshots and great new gameplay ideas.

Ukomba:
They really just need to get out from under the thumb of EA.

This much of what ills bioware is being under the EA flag.

Way DLC was handled in me3 is a perfect example of that. Especially if that DLC character was reportedly the catylist and the whole plot had to be reworked so EA could cram it into DLC that only people bought the game new got. In that light the whole ending fiasco makes much more sense.

Look bioware still makes great games, me3 was great despite the ending, the whole game was tighter, better looking, and played better than me1 or 2 most of the annoying scanning exploration stuff gone, me3 was a superior game in most every way and a 9/10 game if you forget the ending entirely.

tor has it problems but it was a solid game, yes it was lacking features compared to other mmos, but most other mmos that had several pay expansions under their belt by that point. and wows pvp system was just as half arsed and lacking as tors no ranks system well into its launch before it was fixed to a degree. its story hook was a good hook and some of the class stories were solid. it sure made the content more interesting to plow through if you were one that enjoyed some story in their mmo and some lore.

now its major problem is the "f2p" system they thrust upon it. one of the worst in the industry.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect are definitely my top franchises. Pretty much the stable for Sci-Fi/Fantasy adventure for console people.

I really wonder what other fantasy world they are gonna explore. Maybe a modern day RPG.

Ed130:
Once upon a time an announcement like this would have been met with me going 'squeeee!'

Now all it will get is 'meh.'

Amazing how a few mediocre games and a shitty ending can change my perspective of a developer.

Fixed that for you to reflect DA2 as well as ME3 (maybe some TOR)

I'm interested, but with all BioWare titles recently, skeptical, too.

StewShearer:
According to Hudson, he and his team at Bioware Edmonton, the studio that made Mass Effect, are working with Preston Watamaniuk, Bioware's Senior Creative Director, to develop the new property. Outside of those bare details, Hudson and Bioware have offered no other hints as to what the new game will be. Hudson did confirm, however, that this new IP would not be interfering with his work overseeing the development of the next Mass Effect game, which is being made by Bioware Montreal.

God fucking dammit...

Now he's gonna ruin the next Me game and a new IP...

That's the way - instead of fixing the old shit they just leave it as it is and start bringing out new shit that's getting runied halfway through...

Great, just great...

cerebus23:

Ukomba:
They really just need to get out from under the thumb of EA.

This much of what ills bioware is being under the EA flag.

[...]
now its major problem is the "f2p" system they thrust upon it. one of the worst in the industry.

There is a petition going on, on GOG.com to buy EA.
Please support it!
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/buy_out_ea

This is probably the last chance most people are willing to give this company. If this new IP is up to the standard of quality achieved previous to DA2 and ME3, I will be quite happy to purchase and enjoy it. If not, I think that companies like CD Projeck Red will easily fill the gap left by Bioware.

Poor Casey, never going to catch a break. I'm all for a new IP. It's a good way to start fresh and change the type of pressure.

I pass no judgement until I see the product. The announcement of a new IP with no other details is neither cause for celebration nor derision nor despair. See the product, then judge it on it's merits.

As far as I'm concerned, BioWare has never made a truly bad game. They made a couple average ones and one with a bad ending, but I can't say these are bad games. They work, they usually have gameplay that isn't a complete slog, and, in the least, they are willing to try different things, for good and bad. DA 2 wasn't just DA:O with a different story, it had similar gameplay with a few new mechanics and a much more interesting execution. Mages were still overpowered, but not as much so for your side, I hated the invincible bullshit mode and disappearing act enemy mages could pull, but it provided challenge, and a great use for stuns. The story wasn't fantastic, but it plays an important role in the greater Mage vs. Templar narrative they want to weave. Remember, even shitty Bioware writing stands head and shoulders above most other games. ME2 completely revamped the combat of ME1, a bit too much streamlining in my opinion, but it was a pretty massive change. ME3 found kind of a happy balance between the two. It had the worst ending, but the best gameplay.

Legion:
My second thought, once I started reading the article was:

All things considered, this may be the chance for Bioware to gain back some lost fans. As long as this project isn't rushed out the door, and has more focus than the last few (rather than trying to please absolutely everybody), they may be able to make something really good.

Oh, I'm sure it'll be fine. You never know, if he's feeling really creative and adventurous, there might be up to five different colours in the ending!

I would like an rpg game in the modern world. No more future sci fi like Mass Effect, no more old day settings like Dragon Age. Something set now days would be awesome and a change.

Deer Bioware,
Die in a fire.

Sincerely Mikeyfell
P.S. Fuck you all.

You see, the old me would have said a new IP was just what they needed, but then I remembered just how bad Mass Effect 3 was and it made me evaluate my moral standings.
Is there a line?
Can it be crossed?
Once crossed can it be uncrossed?

If there is a line that can be crossed did Mass Effect 3's awfulness not cross that line?
I'm sorry but they don't deserve a second chance... oh wait I mean a third chance I almost forgot about Dragon Age 2 for a second there.

I don't mind Casey Hudson working on it as long as people come to check up on him every once in a while.

zinho73:

Ishigami:
Please don't suck, please don't suck.
And while we are at it: Don't be an MMO and don't be for any hand-held devices.

Legion:

Is there something wrong with that?
He also worked on BG2, SW:KotR, NWN and ME1 and those were good the last time I checked... (I'm pretty indifferent towards Jade Empire)

Yeah, but he was surrounded by more capable people. The more autonomy he has, the worse the games have become. He is also a vigorous lier, too much worried about PR. Several things he said about ME3 weren't in the game - and he said those things after the game was ready, just two months prior to the launch.

"There are many different endings. We wouldn't do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets?" "It won't be an A, B or C ending..." and so on...

EA could do something smart (For once in the companies recent life...) and put one of those explosive collars from Battle Royal on Casey Hudson, set to go off if he tries to work on any part of either IP on his own without direct oversight!

Adam Jensen:
I don't mind Casey Hudson working on it as long as people come to check up on him every once in a while.

That really is the problem. Casey is like George Lucas: The less oversight you have on him, the worse. Mass Effect as a whole really does show this to. The more authority the guy gets on these projects, the more god damn awful they turn out.

woo hoo this is why i love new gen of consoles. More new stuff!

I just want Jade Empire 2. Please Bioware, please make Jade Empire 2.

For the first time ever I will say this about a new BioWare project in the works:

I don't give a shit.

I thought I smelled jilted fanboy...

I'll be entertained in seeing what they come up with. Bioware have proven themselves to be pretty proficient world-builders in the past, and much as people might not have liked the endless repeating dungeons of DA2 or not being permitted to marry their space waifu in ME3, both of those universes are very well done at their core.

GAunderrated:

Ed130:
Once upon a time an announcement like this would have been met with me going 'squeeee!'

Now all it will get is 'meh.'

Amazing how a few mediocre games and a shitty ending can change my perspective of a developer.

Fixed that for you to reflect DA2 as well as ME3 (maybe some TOR)

I managed to miss that particular shit bullet so I can't comment on the quality of the rest of ME3, but watching the endings on youtube (both original and EC) was enough to condemn that part of the game.

Ldude893:
You are not Bioware. You disrespect Bioware's memory by wearing its face, but you're nothing like it.

They haven't even done anything to show the quality of what they're making and you're already judging it...yeah, this is good. You bring shame to yourself by judging something based on very little details and a prejudice for certain people whom made a product/s that you did not enjoy. Ever thought that maybe the game was fine and that it was just not your flavour? Because that tends to be forgotten around these forums. Instead of just thinking, "Maybe I just didn't like it" people tend to attack a company for making a perfectly fine product. Bioware is still a good company, they've proven that, but people like you just seem to want to hate.

Nah, I'm good.
I'm not even sure it will be terrible, but I am very decidedly 'meh' about the whole thing.

Oh, good! I was afraid they were gonna get stuck doing nothing but DA, ME and SWTOR until we got sick of it all and EA gutted them for good.

I still think they can make good games. I've just had to change my expectations. I used to call them the Pixar of videogames, churning out awesome hit after hit, but now they're just another talented studio with some recent fuck ups that show they're far from perfect.

....actually, based on the last two Pixar movies, Bioware is still the Pixar of videogames. Funny, I didn't think about that until just now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here