Accountant Creates RPG Entirely in Excel Spreadsheet

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Accountant Creates RPG Entirely in Excel Spreadsheet

Arena.Xlsm is a fully-fledged RPG with over 2,000 enemies, 1,000 items, boss encounters and four different endings.

We've all heard the jokes about how some RPGs require you to spend hours poring through spreadsheets to be successful. But what if the spreadsheet was the RPG? Cary Walkin, an accountant and MBA candidate at the Schulich School of Business in Toronto, has come to the salvation of bored office workers all around the world by coding a fully-fledged RPG entirely in Microsoft Excel. The game has over 2,000 enemies, 1,000 items, boss encounters, and a full story with four different endings.

Arena.Xlsm is an arena-based roguelike RPG. Grinding, a chore common to most RPGs, doesn't play too big of a role in Arena.Xlsm, with the game's creator telling us that "The leveling system acts primarily as a gatekeeper to gradually introduce new story, enemy types, spells, etc. The amount of kills needed per level should be approximately 3-6 kills regardless of level. Level grind can ruin the pacing of a game so I've done my best to keep it to a minimum."

As well as the procedurally generated enemies and items, the game features 15 unique items with special effects and eight unique boss monsters. There are also 31 different spells for you to learn, and 36 achievements to earn. More information on the enemies, items and spells can be found on the official Arena.Xlsm wiki.

Arena.Xlsm has been tested to work on PC versions of Microsoft Excel including Excel 2007, and Excel 2010. It should also work on Excel 2013 although this has not been extensively tested. Arena.Xlsm will not work on Mac versions of Microsoft Excel. The game uses Excel macros to execute the programming for the game. In order to play the game you must enable macros in Excel.

Saving your progress is as simple as making a copy of the Arena.Xlsm workbook and renaming it. The game is available completely free from Walkin's wordpress, so go ahead and ruin your productivity for the rest of the day.

Source: Cary Walkin Wordpress

I wonder if I could build this into my work's reporting/rating templates for a larf..

Wow..... mac can't even run this game.... /trollface

This is both genius and deeply disturbing.

Rated M for Mature:
Contains graphic violence.

This cracks me up. In my years I've seen spreadsheets abused in any number of ways by those who see the need to get something done, but only understand spreadsheets... (It's OK, you don't have to develop a database app for the department to use, I have a spreadsheet we can pass around - facepalm) - 6 months later, same department is asking IT to fix said spreadsheet 'cos the only person who knew how it worked has left and they want changes made, Database application gets developed...

Now a game?..

aaaaaaand, i got an error after i killed the first enemy.

Well, guess i now have run out of excuses for my complete lack of productivity and actually gotta go do something....

Come on guys, ya'll are better than this. You misspelled the name of the game 7 out of the 8 times it's in the article.

joypunk:
Come on guys, ya'll are better than this. You misspelled the name of the game 7 out of the 8 times it's in the article.

omg I thought it was just my eyes going fuzzy lol! Yeah, might wanna fix that.

well now there goes my work day XD

TitanAura:

joypunk:

omg I thought it was just my eyes going fuzzy lol! Yeah, might wanna fix that.

It's been corrected, apologies for the error.

ascorbius:
This cracks me up. In my years I've seen spreadsheets abused in any number of ways by those who see the need to get something done, but only understand spreadsheets... (It's OK, you don't have to develop a database app for the department to use, I have a spreadsheet we can pass around - facepalm) - 6 months later, same department is asking IT to fix said spreadsheet 'cos the only person who knew how it worked has left and they want changes made, Database application gets developed...

Now a game?..

Haha, this is common where I work too. Some lady needs help because she can't search her spreadsheet that consists of 52 thousand lines. Imagine that, it crashes her excel. At one point she even insisted on sending her computer in for a RAM upgrade, which of course didn't fix it. She was finally walked through converting it into a database by one of my co-workers. And why? Because they just pass around the same spreadsheet to the whole department to made additions too.

Baresark:
Haha, this is common where I work too. Some lady needs help because she can't search her spreadsheet that consists of 52 thousand lines. Imagine that, it crashes her excel. At one point she even insisted on sending her computer in for a RAM upgrade, which of course didn't fix it. She was finally walked through converting it into a database by one of my co-workers. And why? Because they just pass around the same spreadsheet to the whole department to made additions too.

Sounds like my old job. Instead of, you know, creating separate documents, let's just continue to add to the original one until it either takes 5 minutes to open, or it crashes upon opening. Referring to the story though, that's impressive that an accountant had this much free time!

This man is my hero.

Steven Bogos:
spend hours pouring through spreadsheets

I think you mean poring. Excel runs poorly on computers that have stuff poured through them.

See, Shamus? Businessmen CAN create video games!

In before people start making Eve Online related jokes.

Seriously though most games are powered by what basically is excel like sheets of numbers and stats.

DVS BSTrD:
Rated M for Mature:

I'm going to hell for finding that funny.

OT: this just shows what you can do with enough time and investment in anything. What's next, an FPS in Powerpoint?

DVS BSTrD:
Rated M for Mature:

Wordplay eh?

Cary won't be held accountable for any lost time.

This game is Excel-lent!

I can imagine playing this at work would incur a few boss encounters.

Now his bosses will finally know what he's been doing when he should've been tabulating the profit margins.

He is SOO fired.

There is such sweet poetry of an RPG literally being reduced to an Excel spreadhseet that there's nothing more I can add than "bravo, man, bravo".

And there goes my productivity for the next few days while I make my way through this interesting little curiosity.

DVS BSTrD:
Rated M for Mature:

I hate you for making me chuckle using a pun.

Man, Yahtzee is going to have to find a whole new metaphor for boring RPGs.

DVS BSTrD:
Rated M for Mature:

But isn't all video game violence 'graphic' in the context you used? Your pun didn't connect, please try again!

Formica Archonis:

Steven Bogos:

I think you mean poring. Excel runs poorly on computers that have stuff poured through them.

Wanna bet?

I'm guessing this doesn't work in Quattro Pro.
*downloads*
Nope.

. . .

Damn.

DataSnake:

Formica Archonis:

Steven Bogos:

Wanna bet?

True enough, but I've had to assess damage done by failures of liquid cooling and I stand by my original statement.

This guy needs to get a real job! Like software design... accountants are so pre-2010's..

Ok, now someone needs to make Matlab the Space Empire game

DO IT.

i'll help you design it. i can't program.

Awesome. finally something i cna link to when peopel dont believe me that Excel is as powerful as any program and can create other programs in itself.

Capcha: Way to go!

That, is a surprisingly fun game. Reminds me of the hours I spend playing various roguelikes...

Finally, I can put being good at video games on my cv!

Well, hot dang. This makes my roguelike-made-in-M look like small potatoes.

Heh, someone had a lot of time on their hands. OTOH, if you wanted to really learn/show how to use Excel...

DVS BSTrD:
Rated M for Mature:

*sigh*

This is all well and good, but the real question is how much does this go towards Walkin's Continuing Education requirement.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here