Square Enix Forecasts Massive Loss As President Departs

Pages PREV 1 2

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Neronium:

MadBlueWinnie:
Square Enix did not "make" Tomb Raider or Deus Ex. Credit to where credit is due.

I think he's referring to the reboots.

Which they did not make either. Crystal Dynamics and Eidos did.

Square-Enix ponied up the cash for those games, but that doesn't mean they should get the credit for making them.

If you buy a Ford fusion and like it you say Ford makes a good car not the fusion development team. The same rules apply here Square Enix own Crystal Dynamics and Eidos they own there I.P they pay for there wages, there building rents and there utilities so Square Enix made the new Tomb Raider and Deus Ex games.

faefrost:

Adam Jensen:
Square Enix is a good publisher. I hope that doesn't change.

Colt47:
Yoichi Wada was actually a pretty good CEO and I'm kind of sad to see him go. The weak game development and poor communication aren't necessarily his doing, and it's thanks in part to him that Final Fantasy XIV ARR is actually happening (heck, most of the western development world would have scrapped FFXIV or made it a free to play game.) On the upside, the restructuring will likely mean they will more efficiently get out the games they have promised over the last few years, including Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XIII Vs. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into another Electronic Arts situation.

Well yes. But I am willing to bet that FF XIV is one of the huge bleeding wounds that make up that $106 million loss. From a business standpoint they should have really killed it.

Sometimes the business standpoint is the idiotic one when long term customer relations is an important part of a company. EA did things from a Business standpoint and now they have a very vocal consumer base that is rather disenfranchised with them to say the least.

First EA and now Squeenix?

I hope we get a hat trick, because I'd love to see Bobby Kotick go.

Smeatza:
I'm sad to hear that Square are in such dire straits. But I'm not surprised, Deux Ex: HR is the only thing they've released in recent years that I found worth playing.

That said I will be pissed off if their issues prevent the release of a sequal to Deus Ex: HR or the movie that's been in the news a few times.

Technically, it being a prequel, Deus Ex: HR already has a sequel called Deus Ex.

Wonder what this'll mean in terms of dev times and teams now? Square's biggest problems are A) Their current talent pool is PATHETIC what with the Front Mission and Mana teams having left and that's BEFORE you get into the cream of the crop like Sakaguchi and Matsuno. When you've got a talentless hack like Toriyama monopolizing the mainline FF franchise for his pet projects you've got serious issues in who the executives THINK is good as opposed to who's ACTUALLY good. Seriously, knock the hacks aside, get TALENTED people on the series, and maybe then you'll see things change

B) They seem to have just cast aside every other series that they made aside from KH and FF. Start expanding what titles are published so you don't have as weak of a repertoire. Though the main problem with this is that a LOT of people who worked on those franchises got sick of SE and left. Oops

C) Get stuff DONE. Stop taking forever to make these games, the worst offender being FF vs XIII (though admittedly that is due to executives yanking staff members away to fund Toriyama's latest gushy self-fanfiction of Lightning. Ugh!)

Crono1973:

worldfest:

Final Fantasy is No Longer an Event

With XIII's subsequent installments launching within a year or two of each other, it's hard not to make comparisons to other rushed projects across the industry, and that have deflated once unique IP's -- Assassin's Creed comes to mind. Not to mention all of the multi-platform remakes that are hard to follow because of shallow marketing. It's become quite easy to forget about this series.

There's nothing (dare I say) enchanting about a Final Fantasy anymore.

During the height of popularity for the series there were releases every year or two.

Most were three years apart; but let's not forget the tantamount energies being exhausted for "big games" in this era of complex systems and integration. Now it only makes sense to spend some time creating new derivative spaces, since Final Fantasy XIII was an amalgamation of all of their previous series characters.

In other words, replicating every previous story and character but with the face of a new world. That's perfectly fine with me, because it means that SquareEnix is refining their formula with small changes instead of the radical leaps of XIII's uninvolving (or better put, nonexistent) battle system. Now the series is ruined for me. SE thought that the future was about change, when it was all about doing what you do, but with a slight tweak.

You can't do this over a year or two, or three. This takes years to do, and to do right. That's how you turn it into an event.

worldfest:

Crono1973:

worldfest:

Final Fantasy is No Longer an Event

With XIII's subsequent installments launching within a year or two of each other, it's hard not to make comparisons to other rushed projects across the industry, and that have deflated once unique IP's -- Assassin's Creed comes to mind. Not to mention all of the multi-platform remakes that are hard to follow because of shallow marketing. It's become quite easy to forget about this series.

There's nothing (dare I say) enchanting about a Final Fantasy anymore.

During the height of popularity for the series there were releases every year or two.

Most were three years apart

The only one that was three years apart at the height of the series popularity was was Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy VII. I wouldn't call that most.

MadBlueWinnie:
Square Enix did not "make" Tomb Raider or Deus Ex. Credit to where credit is due.

Crystal Dynamics made the Tomb Raider game in question and they are part of Squeeenix.

Eidos Montreal made the Deus Ex game in question and they are part of Squeeeenix.

GiantRaven:
A real shame. I suppose this means the potential for a sequel to Sleeping Dogs is declining rapidly.

God, I hope not. With Saints Row now too juvenile for me and GTA not juvenile enough for me, Sleeping Dogs 2 is about my only hope for a decent sandbox title.

However, Sleeping Dogs did almost 1.5 million in sales, which is really good for a first outing.

Zachary Amaranth:

MadBlueWinnie:

Crystal Dynamics made the Tomb Raider game in question and they are part of Squeeenix.

Eidos Montreal made the Deus Ex game in question and they are part of Squeeeenix.

Which is not the same as making it. You wouldn't say that EA made Mass Effect now would you?

Kumagawa Misogi:

If you buy a Ford fusion and like it you say Ford makes a good car not the fusion development team. The same rules apply here Square Enix own Crystal Dynamics and Eidos they own there I.P they pay for there wages, there building rents and there utilities so Square Enix made the new Tomb Raider and Deus Ex games.

See above.

havoc33:

Which is not the same as making it. You wouldn't say that EA made Mass Effect now would you?

They made the last two titles, so yes. It's highly pedantic to try and distinguish a portion of the company from the company.

See above.

This comes off as heavily pedantic, considering he's actively explaining how the language here works. He's literally explaining why you do say exactly this.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here