The Witcher 3 Will End With Three Separate, Playable Epilogues

The Witcher 3 Will End With Three Separate, Playable Epilogues

The impact of player choice in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt means the game will boast a whopping 36 possible "world states" when the action finally wraps.

The Witcher, as anyone who's played it already knows, is all about choice. And not just tough decisions about hair styles (although that's on the table too) but "big picture" issues, too. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings offers two very distinct gameplay experiences based on choices made in the first chapter, and it sounds like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will take that concept even further.

There will be 36 different "world states" at the end of the game, according Michael Platkow-Gilewski, head of marketing at CD Projekt Red, based on hundreds of decisions players will make over the course of the game. All of those decisions will ultimately come together in three separate and distinct playable epilogues at the end of the game.

"We didn't mean to develop something special for the endings, it's a natural consequence of the story line. The story has hundreds of different branches and sub plots. We have to just sum all of those elements up in the epilogues. Some of those elements are taken from the very beginning and some from other moments of the storyline. All of them will connect in the epilogue," CD Projekt Red Managing Director Adam Badowski told Polygon. "We have a lot of things to summarize. We didn't spend time on inventing endings, it was just the consequence of those choices."

And like its predecessor, the PC version of The Witcher 3 will allow players to maintain continuity by importing their Witcher 2 saves, while those who opt to play on the PlayStation 4 will be given a way to define Geralt's history to suit their tastes.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is currently in development for the PC and PlayStation 4 and is expected to be ready for release in 2014.

Source: Polygon

I played it on the 360, so does that mean I am boned in terms of importing decisions from Witcher 2? I'll likely get it for the PC when it comes out.

No Endotron-5000
No Deus ex Machina Insertion
No Morality Meter

Just the story?
This could work

Fuck it, I'm buying this game when it comes out. HEY! Should I get the Witcher 2 on the 360 or my mac?

EDIT: SEE BIOWARE!? This it how you do it!

EDIT 2: Wait, the Witcher 3 is on PC and PS4 while my options for the Witcher 2 is Mac and the 360? Well that's bloody confusing.

Cool. The more I hear about this game, the better it sounds. I was a little disappointed with the endings for Witcher 2, just because no matter what choice you made, it didn't really feel like the endings were *that* different.

and they'll be colored red, blue and green!

(Sorry but someone was bound to say it sooner or later... might as well be me!)

And I'm interested, what I'll have to do is play the first two games first!

playable epilogues is all well and good BUT! will it have sappy piano music?

we all know THAT is what makes a good ending

36 different colored lights?

Kidding aside, I'd love to see CD Projekt just completely one-up BioWare on this. Bigger game, better graphics, AND actual endings? Now there's a way to wrap up a trilogy.

Incidentally, there needs to be a sidequest which ends with choosing different colored lights. C'mon, CDPR. You know you wanna. :)

If they pull it off, it'll be a nice "SEE bioware, THIS is how its done"
If they fuck it up, well, we've had worse.

BTW, if memory serves (which it rarely does) didn't bioware said something like it would be too difficult to account for all the choices? If so, that's a even bigger "FUCK YOUUUUU!"

Probably won't get it though, only played the first half or so hour of The Witcher 2 and bloody hated it.

BioWare should be taking notes.

Seriously, CD Projekt just gets it. Everything they say and do just shows that they are a talented group that knows how to make good games that treat their players well.

And the only difference will be the color of the Witchers beard!

Bad ending: Red beard.
Good ending: Blue beard.
"You fucked everyones daughters" ending: Purple beard with green dots.

I guess I need to finally get around to finishing the first one and the second one. Really have enjoyed the second, it's just one of those games I tend to play for awhile and then forget about for a few months. Not sure if I can go back to the first with the sort of polish I'm used to in the second now.

Either way, glad to hear more about the next installment.

I wonder if other RPG developers are taking notes when CD Project reveals something about their next game. If not, they definitely should. I'm looking at you, Bioware.

captcha: better call saul

NO FUCKIN' WAY. Captcha, you watch Breaking Bad?

Witcher 3 has so far only been confirmed for PC and PS4 (as far as I know). I'd expect a NextBox 720 version to be confirmed after the system is unveiled.

*opens forum expecting ME3 hate and sadness* Yep not disappointed. You looking Biowaste?

Midniqht:
Cool. The more I hear about this game, the better it sounds. I was a little disappointed with the endings for Witcher 2, just because no matter what choice you made, it didn't really feel like the endings were *that* different.

Well, when it comes to the second game in a trilogy, that's a good thing. It would have been pretty pointless to let W2 end in wildly different ways, only to bring everything back together at the start of W3...

My computer may not be able to play the Witcher games very well at the moment, but dammit I might buy Witcher 3 at full price just to support CDProjeckt. Hopefully I will then be able to get a new computer at some point, which will let me play it.

erttheking:
Fuck it, I'm buying this game when it comes out. HEY! Should I get the Witcher 2 on the 360 or my mac?

EDIT 2: Wait, the Witcher 3 is on PC and PS4 while my options for the Witcher 2 is Mac and the 360? Well that's bloody confusing.

The Witcher 2 is also on PC and you can buy it from Steam. The Mac option wasn't there from the start for the Witcher 2 (and nor was the 360 version for that matter), so I imagine if its not on Mac at release it probably will be somewhere down the line. I dont know if Sony have an exclusivity deal for the Witcher 3 either or if CDProjekt are just waiting for the Nextbox to be announced before they say anything about it.

Eh, this was Bioware's trap. TW2 did the plot divide okay but it also lead it to a shorter, samey, blander ACTs 2&3. In this case, it's more logical to put all your eggs in one basket.

I would rather have a BLT than many cheese spread sandwiches, quality over quantity.

Through no fault of CD Projekt's, I am slightly wary of this considering what Bioware said about Mass Effect 3, but if they can pull it off - and I believe they can - then I will be rather impressed.

Good guy CR Projeckt. In a time when a once proud RPG stalwart like Bioware has been assimilated by the EA collective, it's nice to see someone else taking up the mantle.

Mr.Tea:

Midniqht:

Well, when it comes to the second game in a trilogy, that's a good thing. It would have been pretty pointless to let W2 end in wildly different ways, only to bring everything back together at the start of W3...

I dunno. I think Mass Effect 2 did a pretty good job. You could lose main characters, or even have Shep die off completely, and still play the third. There'd be a way to bring things back together just by having one canon storyline.
The way Witcher 2 handled it, it seemed like the only difference was "Letho dies" or "Letho lives".

Ok, I'm so looking forward to this game. But why am I getting that horrible feeling of Molyneux Syndrome? Stop promising the world guys, because if you can't deliver Ima cry.

Midniqht:

Mr.Tea:

Midniqht:

I dunno. I think Mass Effect 2 did a pretty good job. You could lose main characters, or even have Shep die off completely, and still play the third. There'd be a way to bring things back together just by having one canon storyline.
The way Witcher 2 handled it, it seemed like the only difference was "Letho dies" or "Letho lives".

Admittedly these are all variations of "The north is fucked, Nilfgaard invades". They'll probably end up having to pick one canon sequence of events (or kind of skirt round it, as the action is gonna move southwards a fair bit from the Pontar)

It's nice to see there are still devs out there that genuinely care about the quality of their product.
I've been kinda disappointed with the industry ever since ME3. Bioware made a great trilogy but they failed epicly with the ending.

Luckily I stayed clear of SimCity. I knew that would be a disaster.

I am looking forward to the Witcher 3 since the series has undeniably improved over the years, W1 was being so dreary it would have been way more enjoyable to take a bath in a septic tank full of used syringes then comes W2 with improved graphics, gameplay, and a few characters who were dangerously close to actually be interesting(Only played Roche's path in W2 so this could be wrong) if they continue this trend I might actually consider getting Witcher 3 before they slash the price in half

But one part of me really wants to see this game crash and burn so I can laugh at all the people who enjoyed these series weep when realizing they've been suckered by hype and high expectations

And yes, I loved Mass Effect 3 and I have managed to move on from original ending which it seems quite a few people here hasn't

DVS BSTrD:
No Endotron-5000
No Deus ex Machina Insertion
No Morality Meter

Just the story?
This could work

and then you choose between killing three different colored witches.

....ITS CALLED WITCH HUNT FOR A REASON.

OT: I sense this can potentially end badly, evidence suggests that gamers dont like choice, because when a game has multiple endings based on your choices....

people rage.

HARD.

Good grief, people. Can we not discuss a piece of gaming news on its own merits anymore? Does everything have to devolve into pathetic oneupmanship? How about just saying 'holy tits, fellas, instead of just getting different cutscenes playing out depending on what ending we pick, we're going to get different playable sections! Man, isn't it great that the game industry is continuing to evolve and push the boundaries of our expectations?' Without naval gazing about a largely unrelated game.

Seeing as the bitterness has already soured this thread, I suppose I may as well throw in. Yes, on the very thin paper we're so far presented, these promises do sound like they would be 'better' than ME3's ending. But Mass Effect also lacked the bland setting, unlikable characters and awful, awful gameplay I've come to associate with The Witcher.

And no, I'm not bashing simply because my opinion is apparently not shared by the majority of people in this thread. Despite really not getting on with The Witcher 2, I'm still tentatively excited about the third entry because it does sound like they're improving the formula in a way that could well make for an immensely playable game. And if they can turn Geralt into someone worth giving the teeniest fuck about, so much the better.

Now can we please stop comparing apples with oranges, respect the ambition CDPR have obviously mustered for this title and move past the puerile whinging about something that happened over a year ago? More importantly, can we actually judge something based on what we get instead of mid-development hype?

Words are wind, y'all.

Andy Chalk:

The impact of player choice in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt means the game will boast a whopping 36 possible "world states" when the action finally wraps.

Let me guess: Red (Destruction), Blue (Control), and Green (Photo-Synthesis) endings with 12 different hues in each. Oh I am so witty.

OT: Me thinks it is about the right time to get the first Witcher and then have all three available to play in succession... at least until the last ten minutes of the third game are leaked.

EDIT: Goddamned ninja'd so hard!

sammysoso:
BioWare should be taking notes.

Seriously, CD Projekt just gets it. Everything they say and do just shows that they are a talented group that knows how to make good games that treat their players well.

I bought Witcher 2 on release day and didn't play it until the EE edition was released.

Never once did I regret that decision >.>, they deserved every penny haha.

Once I did play it it was GOOD.

Longstreet:

BTW, if memory serves (which it rarely does) didn't bioware said something like it would be too difficult to account for all the choices? If so, that's a even bigger "FUCK YOUUUUU!"

We already have that. It's called Alpha Protocol.

In the end? PR folks gonna PR...

Kalezian:

OT: I sense this can potentially end badly, evidence suggests that gamers dont like choice, because when a game has multiple endings based on your choices....

people rage.

HARD.

More like, if the endings are based on which button you push as your very last choice, screw everything else.

Sounds more like what Dishonored and New Vegas (and a host of various other lesser known or older gameS) did, where you'll get an assembled spiel of your choices. 36 possible combos, but most of the changes are probably minor.

Hm...
the irony is that it was the Witcher 2 that ultimately made me reupgrade my computer parts...

I suspect the same will happen with Witcher 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here