Battlefield 4 Goes Hollywood in its Official Gameplay Debut

Pages PREV 1 2 3

ThatDarnCoyote:

Soviet Heavy:

Does that excuse them from recycling Tom Clancy's cold war fantasies a hundredfold? Just because it could happen doesn't mean we need to see this kind of crap constantly. It's like the game industry is begging Russia or china to just invade already so that they can feel validated in their obsession with starting World War 3.

I can understand your pain on this, but if you want a fictional global conflict with big set-piece battles in the contemporary era, who else is there? North Korea? Homefront tried that already.

Rather than go with these dumb, rehashed ideas of Russia, China, or the USA, why not go with something more outlandish? United States becoming an Imperialist power, during which they start rubbing up against the British Commonwealth, and launch an invasion into Canada?

Sure, it's not realistic, but it's at least different, and it could be fun if played straight despite it's ludicrous nature.

Soviet Heavy:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Soviet Heavy:
Can we please move on from Americans and Russians? It's like Cold War paranoia is starting up again, like the gaming industry hasn't realized that the Cold War ended over twenty years ago.

In Reality, Russia and China are our biggest threats. Both have attacked us numerous times in Cyber Space and have the capability to cripple us greatly in a possible future Cyber War (no, that isn't a joke. Cyber War is VERY capable of happening now).

Does that excuse them from recycling Tom Clancy's cold war fantasies a hundredfold? Just because it could happen doesn't mean we need to see this kind of crap constantly. It's like the game industry is begging Russia or china to just invade already so that they can feel validated in their obsession with starting World War 3.

This is a "Modern War" game. In today's world: Russia and China are our biggest threats. This is supposed to be loosely based on our reality. So why wouldn't they have those two as our enemies most of the time?

I can't help but feel DICE has given up on making video games.

I'd like to see a Switzerland map. Show off all their crazy bunkers and shit. Plus they have awesome mountain terrain to work with. That'd actually be a pretty sweet theme to explore: Neutral Switzerland gets attacked. By the Dinosaur Union: A coalition of various dinosaurs. And both sides have Titans from BF 2142. And the single player campaign revolves around Bad Company. The title they'd use is "Battlefield Dinosaurs: Bad Company Gets Swiss-y"

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Ok seriously what is the point anymore?

After playing Spec Ops The Line, this game trailer is just cringe worthy. Unless your the kind of gamer into dubstep, gray depressing colors/settings, michael bay set pieces, and Russians AGAYIAN, this is as old and stale as voiceless black and white film.

Soviet Heavy:

Rather than go with these dumb, rehashed ideas of Russia, China, or the USA, why not go with something more outlandish? United States becoming an Imperialist power, during which they start rubbing up against the British Commonwealth, and launch an invasion into Canada?

Sure, it's not realistic, but it's at least different, and it could be fun if played straight despite it's ludicrous nature.

I see what you did there. ;-)

The thing is, with these contemporary war games, the connection to our actual world is part of the attraction, and you wouldn't have that with a more outlandish scenario. Not saying a more outlandish scenario couldn't make for an interesting game, but it would basically be a different genre at that point.

I'm trying to imagine someone in a game company boardroom saying, "Hey, you know that multi-million dollar property we've got? Let's tinker with the formula in order to cater to a small segment of the market, who currently despise our games, in the hopes they'll change their minds." There would be quite an awkward silence, broken only by the words, "You're fired."

One might as well complain about how fantasy games all have the same plot: "Ooh, a Dark Lord trying to take over the world again. Also dragons. Sooooo original." Or, God help us, zombie games, all of which have the exact same friggin' plot every time.

EDIT: Just noticed this is my 100th post on the Escapist. Fanfare. *toots paper horn*

Am I the only one who felt like this video, even while heavily scripted, looks like a big step up from bf3? I still wish they'd tone it down even further, but what I saw, at least for a few minutes, was a good open area with lots of tactical possibilities and destructible terrain. There was even a car there you could take over and use as you wanted to. There was no sergeant screaming "GET INTO THE CAR!", and the game refusing to go on before you did so.

If the singleplayer consists of more of that, then I have high hopes. Unfortunately, the first and last part of the video looked like your generic on the rails shooter.

And of course, we don't know anything about the most important aspect: the multiplayer. But DICE did come out and say they weren't happy with BF3, so here's hoping they have the smarts to actually fix on the problems.

Please skip origin and battlelog, pleeeease.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here