Feast Your Eyes On the Glorious Scenery of Grand Theft Auto V

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Feast Your Eyes On the Glorious Scenery of Grand Theft Auto V

Up in the air and under the sea, we have ten new Grand Theft Auto V screens for you to see.

Grand Theft Auto screenshot extravaganzas are a tricky business. They're always gorgeous, but what can you really say about them? They're like another person's vacation photos: Here's somebody scuba diving, here's somebody skydiving, here's somebody chewing up the neighborhood with a minigun. Pretty, but empty.

I suppose, though, that we already know all we need to know about the next GTA game, and that these shots are simply meant to inform us (in case we'd forgotten) that the environments in V will be eye-burningly beautiful and ridiculously varied, and that if you want to take some time to explore the majesty of the undersea world, you can. And if you want to blow a helicopter out of the sky with Ol' Painless, well, that's okay too.

Grand Theft Auto V is currently scheduled to launch on September 17 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Whoa, wait, PC? Did I miss something? Last I heard they weren't planning to (not that I expected them not to). I didn't see anything on here about it, which I actually would have thought I would here first of all places...oh well, maybe I just missed it. If that's true, then color me excited. I thought I was going to have to settle on my PS3 to crank out the visuals of this game...

More honest then a trailer at least.

It looks kind of... exactly like GTA 4. Which I really disliked.

AnthrSolidSnake:
Whoa, wait, PC? Did I miss something?

Nope, you are correct. A PC release is being considered (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120710-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-for-PC-and-Wii-U-Up-For-Consideration) but I'm afraid I jumped the gun a bit there. Sorry if I got you all wound up. :)

Man, unless they discovered some secret programming technique or something for the consoles, the framerate is going to suck all kinds of dick.
Probably.

hazabaza1:
Man, unless they discovered some secret programming technique or something for the consoles, the framerate is going to suck all kinds of dick.
Probably.

Yep it is called PS4 and 720. I for one am sceptical that the screens shown here are current gen tech. Much like Watchdogs was never really a current gen game, I have a feeling we are seeing the next gen pics but being told it will appear on the current systems too. NONE of the talk from the developer has said these are screen shots from a specific system.

I may just not trust publishers after this shit happened. Hell I could be completely wrong too and they do have magic code now.

looks good. that fourth one could be straight out of skyrim. well except for the bridge that is.

AC10:

Yea, I'm betting that the story will be a pretentious bore with some "important" character (probably one of the protagonists) getting killed off in the climax. I'm not psychic, I've just played all R*'s other games from this gen...except for the ping pong game. Did the man with the paddle or his coach die in that?

Then again, the minigun is back. If it shreds shit up on a spree like it did in San Andreas, I'm sold. I'll probably only play the story long enough to unlock it (and the whole map of course); at that point I will be too busy shredding everything in sight with a minigun. Of course if they nerfed it like they did the attack chopper (if that's what you can call it) in gta4, I will be very disappointed.

As for the beauty, R* could've figured something out. Remember San Andreas? I couldn't believe how much game they crammed onto a DVD. Mind you, that was a really glitchy game, not Bethesda bad but pretty bad.

looks like they hired the icenhancer guy...

if not, shame on you rockstar!

GonzoGamer:
Then again, the minigun is back. If it shreds shit up on a spree like it did in San Andreas, I'm sold. I'll probably only play the story long enough to unlock it (and the whole map of course); at that point I will be too busy shredding everything in sight with a minigun. Of course if they nerfed it like they did the attack chopper (if that's what you can call it) in gta4, I will be very disappointed.

As for the beauty, R* could've figured something out. Remember San Andreas? I couldn't believe how much game they crammed onto a DVD. Mind you, that was a really glitchy game, not Bethesda bad but pretty bad.

The entire map is unlocked from the beginning of the game, and if they're not lying is bigger than several of their previous games combined. I'm fucking pumped to fly a Hydra around that.

And that minigun screenshot made me very happy, I cannot wait to rampage with that thing if it's anything approaching its sheer power in San Andreas.

Personally, I'm hoping for customization. More Carl Johnson and less Niko, please. If I want my guy to run around in his underwear, a hockey mask and a pink mohawk, that's my business.

I'm hoping this mean there will be a 'sit against the car and try to look cool' button.

Looks awesome and I'm thoroughly pumped for a return to San Andreas, both in setting and in gameplay freedom...

But sadly it's all conditional to a PC release. Seriously, if R* pull another Red Dead Redemption I will hate them forever.

I some how don't think those screens are from the 360/ps3 generation. If they are, it'd be cool if they could share their tech with bethesda so the next Skyrim could look better than a reskinned version of Doom3D har har har har.

seriously though, i doubt those screens are from the current generation.

AC10:

How so? GTA 4's graphics were a major improvement over San Andraes (Since SA looked like crap, even when it first came out). I can understand people not liking the setting and the atmosphere of the game (Each to their own) but the screen shots just look....well..pretty. And better than GTA 4.

Reaper195:

AC10:

How so? GTA 4's graphics were a major improvement over San Andraes (Since SA looked like crap, even when it first came out). I can understand people not liking the setting and the atmosphere of the game (Each to their own) but the screen shots just look....well..pretty. And better than GTA 4.

They look just like GTA4 on the PC to me. I didn't like the game because the series started taking itself way, way too seriously. When I grew up, GTA was this:

and it was great. It was silly, it was fun, the story was ludicrous and the point of the game was really to just run amok. Contrast that to GTA4 where everything is so damn serious, and the whole game just has that... "rockstar" feel to it. I know it's an intangible thing, but I just don't like rockstar games very much.

AC10:

Hah, exactly what I thought AC10 :D

And I haven't played GTA 4 yet; although it looks a lot like GTA 4 with ENB mods.

Until I hear the word that the Car Driving/Handling will be actually fun and not hurr hurr its realistic you'll get used to it, then No Sale for me.

You poor souls can go ahead and complain all you want. This is a Day 1 for me. Also, I want to know what planet people live on where they think "GTA 4 was too serious", it took on a more down to earth tone, but the entire game was a satire.

Darks63:
Until I hear the word that the Car Driving/Handling will be actually fun and not hurr hurr its realistic you'll get used to it, then No Sale for me.

I thought the driving was immensely fun. The driving in Saints Row 3 is trash to me, all you do is press a button and go forward. Yay, so interesting and compelling.

nexus:
You poor souls can go ahead and complain all you want. This is a Day 1 for me. Also, I want to know what planet people live on where they think "GTA 4 was too serious", it took on a more down to earth tone, but the entire game was a satire.

Darks63:

I thought the driving was immensely fun. The driving in Saints Row 3 is trash to me, all you do is press a button and go forward. Yay, so interesting and compelling.

Thank god the driving physic in GTA don't apply to real life otherwise when I hit a traffic cone I would've went into a death spin and flipped my car 3 times. SR's driving mechanics may have been simplistic but they're physics weren't insanely difficult. Like Yahtzee said the cars in GTA IV were like driving a car with another car strapped on top.

Sept. 17.... 3 days after my birthday. That game would make a hell of a belated b-day present for me. ^_^

Ooh, sweet, the minigun is back!

nexus:

Darks63:

I really hope GTA5 retains at least a few of GTA4's driving features. Specifically these 3:

1) The car breakdown, and the player character getting mad at the car he's trying to restart.

2) Dragging someone by the door handle. Whether it's a cop or the guy you stole the car from, when he goes for the door, drive off and see that poor bastard hang onto the door handle for dear life. Hard to do, but so satisfying.

3) Windshield launch. Once, I drove a car and crashed at high speed and expected some flip or something, a la GTA3. I was surprised to see instead Niko screaming out through the windshield. After that, I've found myself doing that on a regular basis not just to Niko, but also to TLAD's Johnny ("FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!") and TBOGT's Luis ("CONYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"). Man, that was always funny as hell. Sometimes, I could even launch NPCs out through their windshields this way. So funny to watch.

Man, I'm sick...

So anyway, any chance we'll see those things in GTA5 as well?

Andy Chalk:

AnthrSolidSnake:
Whoa, wait, PC? Did I miss something?

Nope, you are correct. A PC release is being considered (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120710-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-for-PC-and-Wii-U-Up-For-Consideration) but I'm afraid I jumped the gun a bit there. Sorry if I got you all wound up. :)

You are a cruel, cruel man Andy. I hope you realise this. In other news this game looks -delicious-. Very much looking forward to getting my hands on it. I will tear its secrets from its weeping corpse.

I have an erection.

You, know, with the direction this is going, I bet that soon enough people will be complaining that it isn't realistic enough.

I'm just hoping there is more variety to this game, and that it's not going to follow the footsteps of Saints Row the Third .. or the 4th game coming out. They're getting so ridiculous with fantasy, superpowers, aliens, and randomness that it's entirely a different concept of what the game used to be about.

As for this, it has potential. I'll wait for reviews before considering to buy it myself. Looks good though!

So far, I'm loving the variety of clouds. Seriously, that's a very nice touch.

Ah, sorry but no.
YOu picked the worst city in San Andreas. you probably kept the god-awful optimization mechanisms from GTA 4 (the looks/demands ratio is worse only on silent hill homecoming), and added massive graphics while likely leaving game mechanics kinda broken from GTA 4 (face it, san andreas mechanics was much better, the onyl thing GTA 4 had going for it was physix.
Also, no PC, the market that kept your franchise alive to begin with.
Bah, rockstar, you used to be my favourite, but now, meh.

AC10:

If the trailer is anything to go by, it isn't gonna be all srs bidness with this game, its gonna be a wild ride.

GonzoGamer:
Yea, I'm betting that the story will be a pretentious bore with some "important" character (probably one of the protagonists) getting killed off in the climax.

I think Rockstar confirmed that none of the 3 main characters will be killed by the end of the game.

Froggy Slayer:
You, know, with the direction this is going, I bet that soon enough people will be complaining that it isn't realistic enough.

The game looks like it isn't going to take itself as seriously as GTAIV, once the game comes out, people will be complaining about the game not taking itself seriously.

Strazdas:
Ah, sorry but no.
YOu picked the worst city in San Andreas.

Its being completely redesigned, it will be familiar and new at the same time. The map will be 5 times bigger than IV's.

TizzytheTormentor:

Strazdas:
Ah, sorry but no.

Its being completely redesigned, it will be familiar and new at the same time. The map will be 5 times bigger than IV's.

Ah, thats quite good. Hopefully that will end up well. I uess one bad thing less. now i need confirmation other things arent going to be there and then its worth looking at.

Capcha: one small step for man
capcha always knows the best answer.

Strazdas:

TizzytheTormentor:

Strazdas:
Ah, sorry but no.

Ah, thats quite good. Hopefully that will end up well. I uess one bad thing less. now i need confirmation other things arent going to be there and then its worth looking at.

What exactly do you not want to be there?

Also, about that Captcha, the original quote was one small step for A man, but it was hard to make out when it was first said due to a dodgy connection.

Is it just me, or do the graphics look quite shit?

TizzytheTormentor:

Strazdas:

TizzytheTormentor:

Terrible graphic optimization? Console-like controls? Emphasis on graphics over functionality?

Strazdas:

TizzytheTormentor:

Strazdas:

Terrible graphic optimization?

You mean making graphics better on your computer?

Console-like controls?

Wasn't the game made mainly for consoles?

Emphasis on graphics over functionality?

Well, the game itself ran fine, but the PC version is known for being a pretty poor port and I haven't played the port, so I can't comment.

TizzytheTormentor:

You mean making graphics better on your computer?

I mean making the graphics require less resources to run the same. you know, the meaning of world optimization. the amount of resources versus the amount of graphic we had in GTA 4 was very poor.

TizzytheTormentor:

Wasn't the game made mainly for consoles?

Sadly, yes. And badly ported controls. I want controls to be well ported or made for PC (like San Andreas had).

TizzytheTormentor:

Well, the game itself ran fine, but the PC version is known for being a pretty poor port and I haven't played the port, so I can't comment.

The game ran. well, it hasnt crashed on me so theres that, but it seemt that they put all effort into graphics and physics (i like physics, but they are demanding thing even for modern PCs) and not into making game more functional. you had less costumization, less choices, less actions and game overall felt much more restricted. when you sacrifice gameplay to cram in more graphics its bad.

No, scarp that, it did crash on me multiple times, but it was the fault of Games for Windows live though not the games itself.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here