Rumor: Silver Age Prequel Batman: Arkham Origins Coming This Year

Rumor: Silver Age Prequel Batman: Arkham Origins Coming This Year

According to anonymous industry sources, Rocksteady Studios' next Batman title will be revealed at E3 2013.

Last month, a Time Warner earnings call revealed that the next game in the Batman: Arkham series was due out later this year. According to the French site Gameblog, the next Arkham game will be revealed at E3, with the title hitting next-gen systems in late 2013. Oh, and it won't be a sequel; instead, Batman: Arkham Origins will be a prequel inspired by the Silver Age of comics, which ran from the mid-1950s to around 1970.

This isn't the first time we've heard rumors about a Silver Age Batman game, and the fact that Time Warner already let the cat out of the bag about the next Batman also lends support to this unconfirmed report. If true, Arkham Origins will have appearances from other Justice League members, like fan favorites Green Lantern and Superman.

It's already been reported that Arkham Asylum and Arkham City writer Paul Dini won't be returning to pen the next Batman game, which is a crying shame, since he's written some of the best Batman stories of the last 20 or so years. We also know that Mark Hamill won't be back in his iconic role as the voice of the Joker. If the next Arkham game is indeed due out in 2013, we'll likely hear more about it at E3; whether it turns out to be this long-rumored Silver Age prequel remains to be seen.

Source: Gameblog via CVG

Calling it now: Adam West as the Batman.

Also, the return of Bat-Shark Repellent to the Bat-Arsenal.

err no just no and no.

to adam west and the rest of that.

Zachary Amaranth:

No, you have to keep Kevin Conroy in this role, or no one will buy it... They already lost the writer of the last two games and the iconic voice of The Joker. As much as I love Adam West's camp, they will need Conroy to maintain credibility.

I'd probably still buy it because I did love the Adam West series and his voice acting.

Mmmm...I wonder how they'll work the "POW!"s and "BIFF!"s into the combat system...

Just so you know Silver Age doesn't necessarily mean campy Adam West Batman

However it does mean crossovers and DCU which should be fun

Not sure where I read this, but didn't Hamill already clarify he wasn't necessarily going to quit on Twitter after the initial statement?

Well Ra's al Ghul is a safe bet then.

Aren't there also reports that Rocksteady isn't actually working on this game?

I hope I'm wrong, but I do remember reading that in various places.

So, no Joker and a sub-par script. Yay.

I really want a sequel to Arkham City. One of the side missions created a perfect set up for a sequel. If you played it you know what I mean.

ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST! ADAM WEST!

YESSSSS!!!

[Ahem]

Make it so, Mister Wharf.

You know I always felt that the Arkham series was missing an unlockable mode where Bat-Punches result in "BAM!" "POW!" graphics appearing on screen.
Guess they were saving that for the sequel.

Nokturos:

It's a bit early to judge whether or not the script will be sub par.

Yes, yes, yes. I need a break from all the dark and gritty Batman for a little while between Nolan, the Arkham games and even the comics (anyone read Death of the Family? Really liked it but wow, did that go messed up places. Some of that art work...), like I love all of those things SO much but as my recent viewing of the Brave and the Bold showed me, silly Batman fun is awesome.

My only two concerns here are that I saw something (think it was on Destructoid) a few weeks ago that this Arkham game isn't being made by Rocksteady but some other studio. I don't think you can really mess up an already near perfect combat system but it certainly gives pause for thought. The other thing is, next-gen. Now these games make far too much money for them to limit their audience to next-gen gamers only but the way this is all worded... I'm not confident enough to totally rule out the possibility of this game being next-gen only.

Now come on on-screen "POW!" "BASH!" etc during fights. :D

Arkham Origins? Really? They couldn't come up with a better title?

Well that sucks. There were so many hints and foreshadowing moments about what was going to happen next in the Arkham series. Why even bother with a prequel? All this just to shoe-horn the Joker in again? I like the Joker as much as the next fan, but Batman can exist without him.

Yay. Already making room on my shelve. The batman arkham games are more fun than I as an immoral sinner am allowed to have. Though I will admit. Arkham origins sounds....... Not bad, but far from good. They should try another title.

I'm calling it now: it all turns out to be an elaborate hallucination caused by the Scarecrow and Batman has to find a way to wake up from it.

Please be Adam West Batman please be Adam West Batman please be Adam West Batman.

Nenenenenenenenenene BATMAN!!!

Sooo the gag review from the April issue of GameInformer, of the 60's Adam West Batman done as an Arkham game is in fact real???

COOL! Sign me up! I want a special move where you can kick Burgess Meredith right in the nadgers.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Please don't do this have mercy :(
Dammit I was looking forward to a sequel that dealt with some of the plot point's from the past game.
Now I have an over the top camp fest
Don't get me wrong that can be fun,it just not really my cup of tea.
captcha:now and forever

Well, the Batman: The Brave and the Bold game for Wii, like the cartoon it was based on, was Silver Age-inspired and loads of fun. So if they went in that direction I'd definitely pick it up.

EDIT: Ninja'd by ShakerSilver.

I was hoping for Batman: Arkham Beyond, but Silver Age is good too. Maybe someday...

Nooooooo just do a sequel. I get that Warner wants to make a gamiverse for DC, but just introduce GL and Supes and everyone in a sequel! I wan't to know what happens the day after "City". Prequels are for when franchises are running out of steam.

MorganL4:

Zachary Amaranth:

No, you have to keep Kevin Conroy in this role, or no one will buy it... They already lost the writer of the last two games and the iconic voice of The Joker. As much as I love Adam West's camp, they will need Conroy to maintain credibility.

I think the credibility ship has sailed. Which is why I'm calling it.

EDITED to add: I also thought I'd seen them say Rocksteady wasn't going to be doing it, though this seems to indicate otherwise. If they aren't doing it, though, end of story.

TheSYLOH:
You know I always felt that the Arkham series was missing an unlockable mode where Bat-Punches result in "BAM!" "POW!" graphics appearing on screen.
Guess they were saving that for the sequel.

I'd love that to be in this game. We've had two serious Batman games, can we at least have one that's fun?

Vault Citizen:

Nokturos:

It's a bit early to judge whether or not the script will be sub par.

Obviously Paul Dini is the only good writer in existence.

P.S. Thanks

cerebus23:
err no just no and no.

to adam west and the rest of that.

Why not it could be fucking hilarious with how serious the series has been so far.

Shame Paul Dini won't be returning, he's got a firm grasp on the characters and setting, but oh well.
I hope for insane, light-hearted shenanigans.

I can already tell "logic" will be completely foreign concept from Silver Age. Out-sillying Morrison isn't my cup of tea, but has a fanbase for sure.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here