Bungie Would Like to Show You Destiny's Aliens

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bungie Would Like to Show You Destiny's Aliens

It's time to meet the neighbors.

Destiny, the next project from Bungie, promises a lot of impressive features: an interplanetary persistent world, on-the-fly cooperative multiplayer, and customizable ships and gear, to name a few. It's easy to get so caught up with those gameplay elements that you might forget to appreciate the art direction that has gone into realizing Bungie's brave new world and the people sentients that live in it. As a helpful reminder, Bungie released a Character Development reel at GDC 2013, showing the evolution of some of Destiny's distinctive inhabitants.

The video walks us from concept art to animated character models, highlighting several of the species you'll run into in the game. The robotic Vex, four-armed Fallen, humongous Cabal, and feral Hive all make appearances, as well as the three announced characters classes for players. The background music swells as we get an up-close look at the choices for your customizable Guardian: the powerful Titan, the enigmatic Warlock, and the furtive Hunter.

There isn't a lot of gameplay information to glean from the dramatic angles of this teaser, but the loadouts of each of the Guardian classes appear to boil down to the fighter/mage/thief archetypes. The alien races provide considerably more interesting eye candy. Destiny is set in a future where violent alien species have pushed the once-mighty humans back to a single city on Earth, leaving the rest of the galaxy overrun by mysterious hostile creatures. You'll likely exchange more than unkind words with these species and others as you travel around the solar system defending humanity.

Destiny will launch for PlayStation 4, PS3, and Xbox 360 sometime after 2013. Once it does, Bungie wants to keep you interested in its living universe for the next ten years.

Source: YouTube

Hopefully there will be a lot of customization beyond the three class choices.

The hype on this game is really perturbing to me. Bungie and Activision have done nothing but show mysterious, nicely rendered pieces of art and spoke about how great it will be and how innovative and magical it is, without throwing down any actual information. The fact that game journalists went up to Bungie and all came back with what read like exactly the same press release ('Bungie are doing things! No idea what they are, but their buzzwords sound really amazing!') concerned me then and the way it's being promoted continues to do so. Oh great, the character art is interesting. What the hell is this game and why should we care about it aside from it being made by Bungie? I understand 'made by Bungie' means a great deal to some people, but everything said about Destiny sounds vacuous and hollow.

So wait, I can only be Humans in this game? Well, screw it then, I ain't buying. If I could have been any of those other races, such as the Fallen, I would buy, but since I can only play as the Humans, I refuse to buy it.

These aliens are cool and all, but I wouldn't mind seeing more verity than just biped humanoids.

Fappy:
Hopefully there will be a lot of customization beyond the three class choices.

Yeah, figher/mage/thief sounds so... plain, considering they've been hyping this up as something new and unique.

Not exactly seeing anything that proves the claims that this will be something special.

Either way, I look forward to launch day when the servers go down due to everyone joining at once and nobody being able to play.

Yet again, very little to go on. To avoid this being a Colonial Marines, I'm waiting for this to actually release. That and their flimsy reasoning for not supporting a PC version of the game.

FargoDog:
everything said about Destiny sounds vacuous and hollow.

I'm with him.

Published by Activision. So we can expect the sort of DLC and microtransaction bullsh_t of everything else Activision/Vivendi sinks it's claws into. Pass. Fight the hype machine. Wait for the bargain bin finished product whatever edition to come out.

Very Warhammery in places.... But still quite excited to see what this turns out to be like.

It's very strange, all these designs look freakishly familiar... obviously they don't make the game but it's not the most unique thing.

FargoDog:
Everything said about Destiny sounds vacuous and hollow.

So my Destiny is a blow job from Sarah Palin?
I can live with that.

The different alien and Gurdian armours look niffy. Either way unless they will release it on the PC, I will only be mildly interested toward it,

I'm just not feeling this.

Right now, all I'm seeing and hearing is "DESTINY! THE NEW GAME FROM BUNGIE...THE GUYS WHO MADE HALO! ITS GONNA BE AWESOME" and virtually nothing else about the actual game.

FargoDog:
What the hell is this game and why should we care about it aside from it being made by Bungie?

It's your destiny to figure that out...

Nicolaus99:
Published by Activision. So we can expect the sort of DLC and microtransaction bullsh_t of everything else Activision/Vivendi sinks it's claws into. Pass. Fight the hype machine. Wait for the bargain bin finished product whatever edition to come out.

Nah, by then people would have moved on and the servers would be empty, if they aren't shut off by then. Which means their revolutionary new shooter will be lost in time, with nobody able to play it.

Such is the fate of your game when you require it to be online at all times. You guarantee there will be a point where nobody will ever be able to play it again. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play my 12 year old copy of Halo which will give me the same great experience I've had when I got it at launch. I wonder, in 12 years will I be able to play Destiny and get the same experience it offers at launch? You know, after they fix the servers from their inevitable launch crash? Will I get the same experience of the always-connected world full of people? Will the servers even be up? Will I even be able to play it?

Sorry, kind of went off there... just angry at this always-online thing. It's basically a guarantee that eventually the game will become unplayable, for everyone. And that really makes me sad.

So basically they came up with fat space marines, underdeveloped Genestealers, Tau fire warriors, Eldar Rangers and 4 armed Elites from Halo.

Oh and some knight armor that looks like the dragon age set from Mass Effect.

Nicolaus99:

To be fair, Activisions track record with micro-transactions is fairly barren. The only example I can think of is blops 2 bacon camo.

Can't help but detect a wee bit of cynicism from this thread.

Cognimancer:
The robotic Vex, four-armed Fallen, humongous Cabal, and feral Hive all make appearances, as well as the three announced characters classes for players.

Seriously? That's the names they went with? Vex, Fallen, Cabal and Hive? They sound like names from a really terrible Halo fan fiction.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed in this lack of imagination, considering this is the same team that brought species such as: Sangheili, Jiralhanae and Huragok.

Sorry Bungie, no PC version means no sale. Especially when you're on record saying that PC is "not worth your time"

Wait so you cant play as most of those, those are enemies, well dammit, most of the interest that video generated instantly vanished.

IT's all so depressingly bipedal. I get it's easier to animate but anyone remember the seekers from Advent rising? Four legs, would go up on two though. They were pretty interesting.

FargoDog:
The hype on this game is really perturbing to me. Bungie and Activision have done nothing but show mysterious, nicely rendered pieces of art and spoke about how great it will be and how innovative and magical it is, without throwing down any actual information. The fact that game journalists went up to Bungie and all came back with what read like exactly the same press release ('Bungie are doing things! No idea what they are, but their buzzwords sound really amazing!') concerned me then and the way it's being promoted continues to do so. Oh great, the character art is interesting. What the hell is this game and why should we care about it aside from it being made by Bungie? I understand 'made by Bungie' means a great deal to some people, but everything said about Destiny sounds vacuous and hollow.

Pretty much this, the character art isn't even that interesting. Bi-pedal humanoids is all we've seen, why not let me play as an intelligent octopus from Octoplanet?! Or at least fight one?! We've heard nothing that really makes this game stand out, let me you about a game I thought up in ten minutes...

Later, 'cus I'm too tired right now.

Lucky Godzilla:

Nicolaus99:

To be fair, Activisions track record with micro-transactions is fairly barren. The only example I can think of is blops 2 bacon camo.

Don't forget Activision owns Blizzard (starting in 2008) so you can thank them for Diablo 3. Back when I was eyeball deep in WoW during 08' Blizzard had just sold out to Activision. Right on the heels of that purchase came the WoW Pet & Mount store... in a subscription game. Starcraft II no LAN - 2010. And it's headed by sequel pimp "take all the fun out of making video games" Bobby Kotick. I'm not a CoD player so you'd have to ask someone else what mischief Activision has been up to there.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94711-Bobby-Kotick-Wants-to-Take-the-Fun-Out-of-Making-Games

Fenra:
Wait so you cant play as most of those, those are enemies, well dammit, most of the interest that video generated instantly vanished.

Yeah I have to agree with you there.

The best part of Halos 2 and 3, imo, was getting to play as an Elite.

Proverbial Jon:

Cognimancer:
The robotic Vex, four-armed Fallen, humongous Cabal, and feral Hive all make appearances, as well as the three announced characters classes for players.

Seriously? That's the names they went with? Vex, Fallen, Cabal and Hive? They sound like names from a really terrible Halo fan fiction.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed in this lack of imagination, considering this is the same team that brought species such as: Sangheili, Jiralhanae and Huragok.

If I remember correctly the Covenant were only referred to by their species names in the novels for years. In game they were referred to as Elites, Grunts, Hunters, Jackals, etc. I'm guessing Destiny's enemy names are humanity's nicknames for them or translations from their language. Marathon also had names like Trooper, Hunter, Compiler, Big-Floaty-Thing-What-Kicks-Our-Asses.

Casual Shinji:
It's your destiny to figure that out...

I can't help but notice your reply is seven words long. Was that deliberate?

Proverbial Jon:

Cognimancer:

Yeah, all of the alien designs we have seen look at least superficially similar to designs seen in other games, and they also seem to move almost EXACTLY like the things you would compare them to.
Very MEH names, and I'm feeling very doubtful of the "originality" of this game when the alien species all look and at least apparently feel like one step short of carbon copies of other stuff.

Too bad, and here I was kinda excited when I first heard about it. Now I'm just casually observing to see what happens with this game, hoping that if it turns out to be meh or bad, that it flops horrifically so that Activision may start to learn the lessons that other publishers have learned. We spend so much time beating up EA, but we can't forget that Activision is arguably worse.

Good to see that even Bungie follows the Warrior/Rouge/Mage paradigm. I mean Titan/Hunter/Warlock. But come on Bungie give us some real info on the game. I have seen enough of these hallow trailers, give me some articles beyond "This is the class", "This is the orb", or "Here are some concept art."

Also, is Destiny the actual name or are have they still not told us the name. If the former, it is a stupid name. If the latter, then that just leads back to the problem I have with this.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bungie makes good games. It's just that simple.

While there's still very little to go on, the art design looks very nice and the score, as per usual for Mr. O'Donnell, is stunning.

I was pretty down on Halo 4, so I think I'm going to get a bit more hyped about this.

Halo 4 was done by 343 Industries.

Nice design and good level of detail. I'm afraid there is nothing else to say though.
Ehm PC version please?

I can feel an aura of anger being emitted by a thousand hateful souls all hoping for this game to fail. I see a criticism of the art being derivative in every picture and I see a complaint of stagnancy in every design decision.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll enjoyable.

FargoDog:
The hype on this game is really perturbing to me. Bungie and Activision have done nothing but show mysterious, nicely rendered pieces of art and spoke about how great it will be and how innovative and magical it is, without throwing down any actual information.

Speaking for myself only, the reason I'm excited is because of Bungie. I'm a huge fan of Halo, and they really haven't made a game that has disappointed me yet. The same goes with Rockstar and Rocksteady. Some of these devs release consistently good games, and up to a point, the hype that builds around them comes from their name alone. Sure, they haven't showed much, but Bungie has done a bang-up job of making some good games with great details with them, so I understand in that regard why there's a fair amount of hype months before the project is actually done.

That said, I haven't pre-ordered yet. I'm not that excited about anything anymore.

I was excited at first cause you know, Bungie. But that was depressingly vanilla.

Bungie really hate aliens, don't they?

FargoDog:

would you be saying the same thing if this was Valve?

Most people are throwing themselves behind this because of what Bungie has done before. They've kind of proven themselves more then capable of making great FPSs before, and if lightning can strike twice for them, this might revolutionize console shooters...Agian.

But, I do kind of agree with you on some parts, especially that for what they've shown so far, its not really enough to proclaim that they've already delivered their best shooter ever. It might be a pile of pretentious, overreaching crap :/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here