Eidos Lifts the Curtain on Deus Ex: Human Defiance

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Eidos Lifts the Curtain on Deus Ex: Human Defiance

Eidos Montreal has revealed the true face of Deus Ex: Human Defiance - a brand-new experience that doubles down on the triangles of Human revolution with squares.

Speculation about Deus Ex: Human Defiance has been running rampant since the title was trademarked at the end of February, but now the truth is out. In a video released earlier this afternoon, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Executive Game Director Jean-Francois Dugas and Production Designer Jonathan Jacques-Belletete announced that Human Defiance will take Adam Jensen to a whole new dimension: the second dimension.

"Human Revolution brought about the cyber-Renaissance; Human Defiance marks the beginning of a Digital Golden Age," Eidos Montreal wrote on the official Deus Ex website, thereby making it officially official. "Human Revolution was all about triangles. Now we're doubling down, flipping one over and reveling at its brand new form: the square... the pixel. It's a natural evolution!"

"After shipping Human Revolution, it was time to think about the future of the franchise: Where do we go, what do we do next, and how can we surprise you guys with something that you wouldn't expect?" Dugas explains in the announcement trailer. "We were spinning our heads around various concepts, and at some point we were, 'Hey, what if the answer to the future... lies in the past?'"

One of the great things about the new style is that it frees up an awful lot of budget dollars, allowing the team to include numerous new settings that it couldn't afford to include in Human Revolution. It's also, as Belletete explains, a great opportunity to put all the pixels left over from the previous game to good use.

By now, some of you may have sussed out that this Human Defiance reveal isn't entirely serious - it is April 1, after all, and shenanigans have been known to happen on this date. Even so, I think there are two points worth making here: First, while it's not completely beyond the realm of possibility, it seems a bit far-fetched to me that Square Enix would go the trouble of actually filing a new Deus Ex trademark just to set up an April Fool's joke - I don't expect this is the last we'll hear about it, in other words. And second, if Eidos (or anyone) actually did make an eight-bit, side-scrolling Deus Ex game, I'd play it in a heartbeat. I guess you could even say - yes, here it comes - I'm asking for it.

Source: Deus Ex

Almost as funny as cheapshark's Episode 3 joke....
http://storestteampowered.com/app/4411/
Seriously...

Hey, I'd buy it.

This is a cool story, but am I the only one who's getting annoyed at how everything 2D and pixelated is automatically referred to as "8 bit," even when it looks like a 16 or even 32 bit game? We didn't really get 2D games that weren't heavily pixelated until last gen, and most of these "8 bit" games would have just destroyed any actual 8 bit hardware. They just look more like SNES or PS1 games than NES, or even a more powerful 8 bit system like the Sega Master System or some of the old 8 bit computers.

They say it's an April fools but I think they are on to something here.

This 2D Deus ex actually looks like it could be a good game.

Imagine Mark of the Ninja with rpg elements , enhanced AI, environment interactivity, augs.

To the people who wonder about the fact that they'd trademark for an April fools joke.

A) it wouldn't be the first time.
B) This may just be a mindscrew, I'm guessing the real reveal is coming soon.

Yeah, its all fun and games for you guys... till I abduct your whole studio and force you to actually make this.

When the guy blew up the city they could've put the "I didn't ask for this" as dialogue instead of the black space.

Man, my bullshit detector is going off like never before.

My bet is on, an actual game called human defiance, just not in 2D. April first and all that.

HOWEVER, if this does get enough support, they might be crazy enough to actually make it.

I'm seeing a side of Deus Ex I never saw before! :P

LMAO!

THIS! THIS IS HOW YOU DO A JOKE ANNOUNCEMENT! XD

Also, I didn't ask for it...But I'd still play it. :P

To be fair they did say

So while obviously Human Defiance isn't something that it being worked on, it seems they are definitely working on something, which could definitely be interesting.

Eidos, what the hell are you... *Looks at date*.

Oh. OH. Ohohoho! Good one Eidos, you nearly had me going there for a second.

Best part is when they talk about new areas to take the player to and then the VTOL drops jensen off in near identical cities hahaha.

The funny thing is, if Yahtzee's theory on shiny vs. depth from his two Deus Ex reviews holds, then a retro-game version could have an incredibly deep and involving plot.

Laughed out loud when the second player showed up and threw Jensen into the enemies.
Definitely JC.
Obvious or not, this was cute and worthwhile.

Great Joke! LOL

but why cover the Municipal Waste T-Shirt, the music ain't so bad?
Graphics pulling a bit too much 80s Death Metal Retro, maybe.

April Fools Day can go jump off a cliff. Preferably onto some sharp rocks.

I hate having to remember that there's a day when you can't trust what anyone says.

I feel these guys don't understand that the key to making a good April Fools joke is to NOT let everyone know it's an April Fools joke in the title of your YouTube video...

On a side note, is that really 8-bit? I know it's pixelated, but it looks a lot more detailed than an NES game. Then again, I'm no expert on "bits".

You win, Eidos. You have won April 1st, at least in the game developers sub-category. The internet unfortunately does not give trophies for April Fools, though.

sethisjimmy:
On a side note, is that really 8-bit? I know it's pixelated, but it looks a lot more detailed than an NES game. Then again, I'm no expert on "bits".

The parody is most definitely not 8-Bit, at least in terms of the "Real" meaning of what 8-Bit means. To put it simply, 8-Bit refers to the range of colors/sounds/numbers that could be produced with the hardware. The parody by Eidos is definitely using more available colors than an 8-Bit palette would have.

It may be an April Fools joke but I'd play it. The partnering of Jensen and Denton intrigues me.

It's pretty sad that they think an old-style game is a funny joke and not something that would actually be interesting.

Now excuse me while I go wash this foul taste off my mouth with some Kentucky Route Zero. That one knows how to use the pixels it's got.

Sold.

If they made a fucking coop Deus Ex with 8-bit graphics they would be able to make way more complex levels without having to spend 16 hours designing every single piece of paper on a desk. They could put in more RPG elements than they did last time and probably make one of the best games of 2013.

Just think about it. All the short comings of HR were because of level design and lack of actual RPG elements. Cut down production cost and time with the 8-bit, put a friend with you who could be like your clone brother, with two story lines told separately, as in only one of you gets certain parts of the story and you are slowly being played out against each other.

Fuck april fools, it's making me think of amazing games that we will never get.

V8 Ninja:
You win, Eidos. You have won April 1st, at least in the game developers sub-category. The internet unfortunately does not give trophies for April Fools, though.

sethisjimmy:

The parody is most definitely not 8-Bit, at least in terms of the "Real" meaning of what 8-Bit means. To put it simply, 8-Bit refers to the range of colors/sounds/numbers that could be produced with the hardware. The parody by Eidos is definitely using more available colors than an 8-Bit palette would have.

As I said above, that's something that's starting to bug me about indie games. They keep advertising games that wouldn't have been out of place on the PS1 or the GBA as "8 bit." FTL looks and plays like it could be a port of an Amiga game for pete's sake, but it's still referred to as having an 8-bit aesthetic. Even on the low end, most of them look like SNES or Genesis games, and would be way too advanced for the Sega Master System, let alone the NES or the C64.

most the joke content folk have been putting out today look mad fun :p this and especially Doom Guy's Mind Ep 7 loll

I knew when I saw the announcement for...the announcement earlier today that this was going to amount to an April fools joke.
On another note....I really want that 8-bit Icarus theme.

Actually this brings up an interesting thought.
What if you shoved the budget of a Triple A game into a 8-bit game.
Took all that money you'd spend on graphic developement and put it into hiring scores of writers and world builders.
So for example, you have a writer write complete back stories and dialogue for saaaaay 5 random guys on the street. And whenever you would hire a texture artist/modeler you'd hire one more of these guys.

Might be an interesting experiment if we could get a hundred million dollars or so for a true triple A title....
I think this rules out kickstarter....

It does seem like a good way to make use of the surplus pixels leftover from Human Revolution. Bloody brilliant :-)

Yeah I'd totally still play this in an instant. Please Eidos, actually make this. Please.

Did Eidos Montreal make their own 8bit theme or did they use this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvrTfVyU3qw

Hopefully this means that they'll fire all of the artists and use the money to pay for some actual writers.

lol. nice april joke :D
but on the other hand, it could be a fun little game.

I'm happy it was a prank. Way I see it Hotline Miami was a hit, as well as other indie "pixilated" games, and now everyone wants a bit of that market as if going retro will automatically bring money. I for one don't think this style would work for a Deus Ex game, it's hard to explain why I feel this way but I believe Deus Ex is a franchise that needs to always be released with top notch graphical capabilities. That doesn't mean you can't deliver it in 2D, but I don't think you can do so in a "retro" style.

If anything, this means the DX franchise hasn't returned to some sort of torpor. That's enough in my book. Fast-forward a few months and maybe we'll have an official announcement on our hands.

WanderingFool:
Yeah, its all fun and games for you guys... till I abduct your whole studio and force you to actually make this.

You go after writers, while I round up designers.
Man, it will be awesome :D :D :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or