David Hayter: "Not My Choice" To Give Up Solid Snake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Scars Unseen:
Maybe this another attempt by Kojima to end the franchise so he can make other stuff. He tried to end it with 4 by actually ending the story, now he's going to try to end it by alienating the fanbase.

A simpler solution is to not make it at all, as his attempts to "kill" the fanbase all fail.

Although, I suspect that's completely intentional.

Hard to think of any non-Japanese voice actor as inextricably tied to a video game character as Hayter has been to Snake. Not only is it incredibly rare to see a non-Japanese actor last even half this long in a single role (you know, if you ignore the rest[i] of the cast of Metal Gear Solid), but his portrayal of the character has been widely regarded as a facet of the character itself. You could shuffle the rest of the cast around without breaking many hearts - no offense whatsoever to the talents of those actors, as they've done some commendable work and are largely responsible for proving dubbed voice acting didn't have to be fucking shit - but that raspy growl [i]is Solid Snake.

And sometimes Big Boss.

Hayter's abundance of work is likely no exaggeration, so I doubt money was an issue, but either way, this is a legitimate shame, and I don't even care for the series.

Jack and Calumon:
As someone who is opposed to this change, based on the evidence presented to us, I would like to promote the petition to bring Hayter back!

As far as I can see, the only reason that Kojima got rid of him was because he, or someone else in Kojipro or Konami did not like him anymore. The new actor sounds like a pale comparison to Snake (As evidenced here) and doesn't even sound older, which would be logical.

The only thing I want is either Hayter back on the project or answers. Why doesn't Kojima want Hayter anymore?

And before anyone says "Kojima wants to reinvent the franchise and so wanted new actors, so respect his decisions" then take note Kojima is only changing Hayter, not the Japanese Snake or any of the cast revealed so far like Miller. Only Hayter. Besides, tossing out actors when you tire of them while people still love them strikes me as a very evil director.

I have never been upset at any decision Kojima has made before, not even at anything that happened in MGS4, but damn I don't want to see Hayter go. He IS Snake to us. It'd be like casting a new Indiana Jones for a new movie that is still set in the regular Indy canon. Like imagine a film set after the third one. Sean Connery is there all normal then on comes Clint Eastwood doing his best Harrison Ford impression. It's not right and it's pointless.

We are not ready for a world without the true Snake!

Calumon: He has such a nice beard... : (

I beleive that is Richard Doyle who is voicing Big Boss(which he did in MGS4) and it makes sense since he is suppose to be old and he woke up from a coma.

The Old Snake voice strained Hayters vocal chords a lot and it would be nice for him to save his voice.

Who knows maybe at the end of the game there will be a young solid snake getting recruited into FOXHOUND and hte other game will be a remake or Outer Heaven

Well, if Hayter isn't on board to do the voice then at the very least I hope Richard Doyle is.
Also please stop saying Solid Snake in these articles. The character is Big Boss. Not Solid.

captcha:mum's the word

You got that right, captcha.
We won't know the details until Kojima feels like showing us a bit more.

Okay, this bothered me about the last article, but I thought that was just a slight error or typo, but this article is doing the same thing.

Why is The Escapist referring to this situation as if the main character of MGS5 is Solid Snake? Because last time I checked, Big Boss' code name was Naked Snake. This isn't a slight marginalization, those are two different people.

And if this game takes place "sometime in the 80's" as mentioned in a yet older article this would make Solid Snake (and Liquid Snake) between 8 and 17 years old (8 in 1980, 17 in 1989). That entire age range is far too young to have David Hayter's trademark growl, so there would be absolutely no reason for David Hayter to voice him, unless he can also do a child's voice (which I've only seen him do on Captain Planet, as the Russian' girls little brother).

So what gives?

The game is going to be about Big Boss, not Solid Snake. I don't see the big deal.

Zachary Amaranth:

8bitmaster:

If you want to be technical about it, yes we have heard a different voice coming out of Naked Snake. MGS4 had Big Boss voiced by Richard Doyle. Although, I assume that was just because it would be odd to hear Hayter talking to Hayter.

Odd, but awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but I'd love to see Hayter v Hayter.

I too hope that, at some time in the future, Hayter's gonna Hayt.

One of the most iconic voices in gaming history... In fact, one of the very few voices that have iconic status at all. And they just decide to get rid of it? WHY?!

Scrythe:
Okay, this bothered me about the last article, but I thought that was just a slight error or typo, but this article is doing the same thing.

Why is The Escapist referring to this situation as if the main character of MGS5 is Solid Snake? Because last time I checked, Big Boss' code name was Naked Snake. This isn't a slight marginalization, those are two different people.

And if this game takes place "sometime in the 80's" as mentioned in a yet older article this would make Solid Snake (and Liquid Snake) between 8 and 17 years old (8 in 1980, 17 in 1989). That entire age range is far too young to have David Hayter's trademark growl, so there would be absolutely no reason for David Hayter to voice him, unless he can also do a child's voice (which I've only seen him do on Captain Planet, as the Russian' girls little brother).

So what gives?

Story will get more pageviews if it says "OMG VA Change in beloved series" than if it says "Guy who was a Big boss once won't him in this game."

OT: This could all be a ploy for extra attention by Kojima or he wants to make the character of Naked snake stand out from Solid by having a different voice instead of Solid in a different skin.

Unfortunately, the English team for Metal Gear has done this before. In Japan, Liquid Ocelot was voiced by Liquid Snake's voice actor, ala MGS2. However, in the English version, Liquid Ocelot was voiced by Patrick Zimmerman (Ocelot), rather than Cam Clarke (Liquid). While I thought it was a bit odd to have Richard Doyle voice for Big Boss in MGS4, I was willing to let it go for the same reasons I had to get over the Liquid Ocelot thing. He sounded the part, at least.

I wonder if part of it has to do with how Voice Actors are revered like real celebrities in Japan? I mean, you can compare it to Peter Jackson not choosing Ian McKellen as Gandalf all you like, but in America, tons of people at least know what Lord of the Rings is, while significantly less can tell you what Metal Gear is. The treatment is just totally different over there, so maybe it's a cultural difference when it comes to getting things dubbed over here? I can't be sure.

What I can be sure of is that I absolutely love David Hayter. He's voiced for one of my favorite heroes for 15 years (as well as my Jedi Knight in SWTOR) and I'm also a big fan of his writing. A few years ago, his treatment for the Metal Gear Solid movie was turned down, and now this. =(

Would have been nice of Konami to at least call. "Thanks for nearly killing your voice in MGS4 and all, but we don't need you this time." Or at least bought him breakfast...

If Solid Snake is even going to be in this next game, won't he be like 10 years old or something? Not that it wouldn't be interesting to see Hayter voice a 10 year-old...

The thing of note that he wasn't hired to play Solid Snake. Kojima might be trollin' and still have a new main character ready for Hayter.

C.O.C:
April fools... Please?
Hayter is solid snake don't try to fix something so gloriously not broken

But he is NOT the Old Big Boss. Young Big Boss, yes - but next MGS is starring the Old version. And MGS4 already had someone else voice him there.

Ronack:
The thing of note that he wasn't hired to play Solid Snake. Kojima might be trollin' and still have a new main character ready for Hayter.

Well, it would be hard to hire someone to voice-act a character not appearing in the game at all.

A joke, or just an attempt to get people riled up by announcing something that they're not actually serious about implementing?

It's gotten them at least this article, and probably a lot more on other gaming websites.
Free marketing: wheeeee!

Hi everyone I have a theory on why David Hayter isn't contributing his voice to the new metal gear.

If you have read his official statement on the subject you will know that he didn't choose to not voice snake anymore but was told by Konami "that they won't be needing his services for this game" and think I know why.

Because the "snake" in the next game isn't solid snake and not using Hayter is a tactical choice by Konami.

The latest trailer for Phantom Pain clearly states "V (or 5 as it's known in roman numerals) Has Awoken" and if we count all the "big boss's" so far we have had 4 so If the game is based on a new clone then that would make this snake "V" and since every other snake (solidus, liquid etc) has sounded completely different to big boss that might explain why there purposely using a different voice actor.

Big Boss = 1
Solid = 2
Liquid = 3
Solidus = 4
And new "phantom" dude = 5

I'm also guessing the game will have a lot to do with "new snakes" phantom connection through memory to "solid snake" and thusly why it's called "the phantom pain".

So that's my theory, DISCUSS! :)

Hayter didn't voice big boss in MGS4, and as far as I remember no one complained about that.

Can we please wait until the game is out or more details are released before we decide Hayter not being big boss is terrible?

Personally I don't mind at all, snake had no voice back on the nes when i first started playing the series and it didn't bother me then :P

Also i have feeling the games going to "time jump" between naked snake (big boss) and a future undefined snakes since its been referred to as Metal Gear 0 and 5 simultaneously.

Anyone noticing that Hayter has specified the date in his tweet that this news article is based on?
For those who can't be bothered with checking the source:

David Hayter:

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjhhf9

Konami aren't that stupid

I know this is a bit off-topic, but did you know that David Hayter was one of the screenwriters for X-Men, X2 and Watchmen?

OT: I can't imagine Solid Snake not voiced by David Hayter. A very big part of Solid Snake's recognizability comes from his voice a voice given to him by Hayer. It just feels...wrong...

Bindal:
Well, it would be hard to hire someone to voice-act a character not appearing in the game at all.

Well, he did hire someone to "fake-direct" the game, as well as "create" a new studio for it.

I'm torn between thinking this is a ploy, and thinking this is another way to emphasise what the game is about. It looks like it has segments which aren't real, and having a different voice actor would certainly go a long way to show that those parts don't feel real.

So I'm throwing in my theory of Hayter = Real Big Boss, someone else = Big Boss during hallucinations.

wintercoat:
I know this is a bit off-topic, but did you know that David Hayter was one of the screenwriters for X-Men, X2 and Watchmen?

OT: I can't imagine Solid Snake not voiced by David Hayter. A very big part of Solid Snake's recognizably comes from his voice a voice given to him by Hayer. It just feels...wrong...

He also played the gyver in the second live action movie :)

If Solid Snake is to appear in MGSV, wouldn't he be relatively young? Maybe that's why they're not bringing back Hayter, his voice would be too mature for a young Solid

Kael Arawn:

wintercoat:

OT: I can't imagine Solid Snake not voiced by David Hayter. A very big part of Solid Snake's recognizably comes from his voice a voice given to him by Hayer. It just feels...wrong...

No shit?! How'd I miss that?! I loved those movies!

wintercoat:

Kael Arawn:

wintercoat:

No shit?! How'd I miss that?! I loved those movies!

He wasnt in Mutronics (but it did have mark hammil in it), he was in the sequel Guyver: Dark Hero, which is one of my all time favorite "dudes in rubber suits kicking the crap out of each other" films :)

The Rogue Wolf:
I'll freely admit I'm not much of a fan of the Metal Gear games, but this decision strikes even me as abject stupidity. Hayter IS Solid Snake- he's handled the role for a decade and a half, and he's definitely made it his own. This is as if Peter Jackson suddenly decided that Ian McKellen just "wasn't the right fit" to play Gandalf in The Hobbit.

And why hasn't Kojima said anything about this yet?

More like Jackson deciding that Andy Serkis wasn't right to play Gollum.

Darks63:

So what gives?

Story will get more pageviews if it says "OMG VA Change in beloved series" than if it says "Guy who was a Big boss once won't him in this game."[/quote]

Keep in mind, a lot of people still seem to think this is Solid Snake, so don't mistake for malice which you can attribute to ignorance.

Dr.Panties:

Zachary Amaranth:

8bitmaster:

If you want to be technical about it, yes we have heard a different voice coming out of Naked Snake. MGS4 had Big Boss voiced by Richard Doyle. Although, I assume that was just because it would be odd to hear Hayter talking to Hayter.

Odd, but awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but I'd love to see Hayter v Hayter.

I too hope that, at some time in the future, Hayter's gonna Hayt.

You, sir, win the thread.

Kael Arawn:

Because the "snake" in the next game isn't solid snake and not using Hayter is a tactical choice by Konami.

Except he's voiced the other Snake protagonist, Big Boss.

The latest trailer for Phantom Pain clearly states "V (or 5 as it's known in roman numerals) Has Awoken"

But we have no reason to believe this is the protagonist. It could be the antagonist. Three of the four Snakes have served as antagonists.

"big boss's"

Big Bosses.

since every other snake (solidus, liquid etc) has sounded completely different to big boss that might explain why there purposely using a different voice actor.

Big Boss and Solid were still voiced by the same guy in their respective titles. So if they were able to sound different, why do they suddenly need a different voice actor?

"new snakes"

This time, you did want the apostrophe.

phantom connection through memory to "solid snake" and thusly why it's called "the phantom pain".

Or we could look at what we've actually been given and work from there.

juyunseen:

More like Jackson deciding that Andy Serkis wasn't right to play Gollum.

It'd never happen. He brought his own Mocap suit.

Zachary,

Yes I agree my grammar sucks, I tend not to worry about it too much on posts due to the fact that im exceptionally lazy when it comes to anything but rapidly typing out my extremely bullshitty opinion's/theory's but thats why I said it was a theory (as opposed to confirmed fact).

Coming up with anything solid till the games actually released is like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack, and even when its out the game will have more twist in its narrative then a um.. Really twisty thing :P

It's a hideo kojima game after all, the guys a nut ball when it comes to storytelling and its one of the reasons I like the metal gear games so much.

Still its fun to think about it all and read other people's opinions on the same subject that's why I made a post on a gaming forum about it so we could all have a discussion about it and i could feel like I was adding something to the conversation.

And Andy Serkis bought his own mocap suit ?!, that's dedication to his craft :)

Is it too late to cast my vote for Richard Ridings?

Hah! Nah, I get why Hayter can't do Big Boss' voice in MGSV. There's got to be a point somewhere where he starts losing the gravel before he meets Old Snake and dies. Chalk it up to the repairs done to his body while has was in his long coma.

Never know day 1 DLC David Hayter voicing snake...

'Hayters gonna hate!'

Thanks, I'm here all week.

EDIT: Darn! Someone beat me to it.

Off topic, I know, but it's so strange looking at that photo of Hayter. I'm used to seeing him so young in Guyver: Dark Hero.

But... it isn't Solid Snake. It's Big Boss / Naked Snake / Leader of the Diamond Dogs that may or may not be the same person as Big Boss.

Sure, he voiced Naked Snake in 3, but in 4 he played Solid Snake and they had a different voice actor to play Big Boss. I hate to see Hayter get dropped like this, but to be fair this isn't Solid Snake we're talking about. It doesn't seem weird to me for Big Boss to have a different voice actor.

How silly would it have sounded in MGS 4 to have Solid Snake and Big Boss talking to each other in the same voice?

If he's not Snake anymore, do you think he'll sell his vocal chords to me..? That would be so cool...

Krat Arona:

How silly would it have sounded in MGS 4 to have Solid Snake and Big Boss talking to each other in the same voice?

It would have been the single greatest thing ever...

"Metal... Gear..?"

"METAL GEAR!"

"M..Me... Metal Gear..?"

"METAAALL GEEEAAAARR!"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: