Hacker Attack Brings Down The War Z

Hacker Attack Brings Down The War Z

The War Z is offline again following an attack by hackers which gained access to email addresses, encrypted passwords and other forum and game-related information.

Controversial zombie shooter The War Z, which returned toSteam at the end of February after being removed amidst accusations of false advertising, is down again. This time, however, the developers took the game offline voluntarily following a security breach, which is now under investigation.

"We are issuing this Security Alert to all Survivors as a precaution so you can take some precautionary measures on your own. We have already taken a number of steps to increase security and are continuing to work with external advisors and investigators to identify and implement measures to minimize the chance of this happening in the future," publisher OP Productions said in a statement.

"The data accessed included email addresses used to log-in to the forum, forum passwords which we encrypt, email addresses used to log-in to the game, encrypted game passwords as well as in-game character names and the IP addresses from which players log-in to the forum and to the game," it continued. "If you posted other information to the forum it is likely that such data was accessed as well. We do not collect the names or addresses of our gamers so that information was not impacted unless you posted it on the forum. We are investigating whether additional information may have been obtained."

The good news is that because all payments are made through a third party, OP Productions says there is no possibility that payment or billing information could be compromised. The bad news, of course, is that if you use that same email/password combination everywhere, that combo is now in the hands of someone, albeit presumably encrypted - for whatever comfort that's worth.

The team has engaged "outside experts and investigators" to assist in figuring out what went wrong, and in the meantime has asked all players to change their passwords immediately, which despite the game being down can be taken care of at thewarz.com.

Source: The War Z

Couldn't hackers do something cool for once, like install Battlemechs In Day Z, or turn all the zombies into Goombas or something?

Huh, you know what?
I'm ok with this.
Guess I'm just sadistic when it comes to companies I hate being screwed over.
Feel bad for those unlucky players though.

While in my opinion the devs got what was coming to them, this only makes it worse for the people who bought War Z(as if that wasn't bad enough), since the 3 people who actually enjoyed it can't even play it anymore, and the rest get to have their accounts compromised.

Shinsei-J:
Huh, you know what?
I'm ok with this.

What do you mean? The Hackers stopped them from playing The War Z :P

DVS BSTrD:

Shinsei-J:
Huh, you know what?
I'm ok with this.

What do you mean? The Hackers stopped them from playing The War Z :P

oh no no, you missed my point.
I felt bad that they were tricked into playing it in the first place.
Those poor souls,.

Well that sucks, and I mean it. I mean, these people were probably fooled into paying for a half assed, shitty game, and now this. Can't these poor users catch a break.

BoredAussieGamer:
Hey, what do you know? Banning people at random didn't do shit.

Reading the article - you didn't do it. Otherwise, you would have noticed that it was not cheating hackers but password-stealing ones...

It's kind of understandable, everything about that game has been such a ham-fisted mess, it stands to reason that their security would be terrible too. No sympathy for the company at all.

Shinsei-J:
Huh, you know what?
I'm ok with this.

The War Z has players?

kajinking:

Shinsei-J:
Huh, you know what?
I'm ok with this.

The War Z has players?

Yes they have many that sadly suffer stockholm syndrome. The poor souls don't even get lube and thank Hammerpoint for it.

Millions rejoice!

Reason to not buy the War Z #4592346.

Seriously how much worse can this trainwreck get?

Zero=Interrupt:
Couldn't hackers do something cool for once, like install Battlemechs In Day Z, or turn all the zombies into Goombas or something?

The game affected is WarZ, not DayZ. DayZ is a great mod for ArmA2. WarZ is an awful knockoff that lied to its players, got pulled from Steam and Amazon (temporarily), has a wonky banning pattern, and can't keep cheaters under control.

Andy Chalk:
The War Z is offline again following an attack by hackers

Oh no! Wait but...oh no!

/Jokes

I have a feeling that this company isn't exactly up to date with the latest and greatest in cyber security for their customers.

This really is a horror game...

...a horrible disaster of a game!

I saw a review of the game and it's a pretty big pile of crap made by a scumbag who made Big Rigs Off Road Racing. I'm sure the game has improved a bit since then but these guys aren't interested in making a more balanced game so in the end it's just going to get less balanced and more crap.

Yet another reason I'm happy that I gave this game a miss. Something about it smelled funny from the very moment I heard about it, coming -so- very conveniently on the heels of Dayz's success. It was a con artist's rushjob and now that is coming back too bite them in the form of the torn loyalties of the few people who stuck around and kept playing now that their information is in a criminal's hands.

Not G. Ivingname:
Reason to not buy the War Z #4592346.

Seriously how much worse can this trainwreck get?

I'm sure people said that about Sim City 2013 too, and look what happened with that. XD

OT: Ah I had forgotten about this game. I remember when it first came out and how bad the game truly was. Seeing this makes me glad that I never bought the game.

" forum passwords which we encrypt, email addresses used to log-in to the game, encrypted game passwords "

Yeah... there's encryption and then there's a half assed job that's next to useless.
We need more info to get the full idea of it's impact.

This is why a game like this should be able to have private servers. If I were running a WarZ server, I wouldn't need everyone's information and there would be nothing to steal. I know it's for the micro-transactions, but I'm calling BS on that. I'm honestly torn about this. I would love to see that game get shut down. At the same time, I never bought into it because from moment one they had a horrible business model that was completely predatory, and anyone who did... well that's on them. But I hate when these hacking groups do this kind of thing because while the company is a bunch of financial predators, there are people who paid for and like to play the game and now they can't. I come back to having private servers, but we all know that isn't happening.

I got the email about this the other day which was surprising considering i went and got a refund after being ripped off, must mean my account is still active.

Either way i don't care i never used my bank/card details with them and in all honesty they deserve it for all the crap they pull, what i found more shocking was the fact that steam has the game for sale again and unless they updated the game this statement "Leave Messages for friends in the game world with a time capsule" is probably a lie again, when i had the game there wasn't even a friends list implemented (there was a placeholder), so a time capsule seems unlikely to me.

They also still have those images up which make it look good graphically, they might not be AAA level of graphics but they look a hell of a lot better than the ones actually in game.

At least I use a unique password for that forum account, did not buy the game and use gmail which has the BEST spam filter that I have seen to date!

This game is so grrreat i'd cut my hand off...nah seriously everything they said they would have done before 2013 isn't in the game yet, oh except those Time capsules which serve no purpose at all, i mean if you have time to read it you have time to die by hackers...I wonder if i still can get a refund for that piece of crap game.

Let's hope they used basic public encryption techniques instead of coming up with their own 'brilliant' algorithm.

If it's the first those passwords are safe. If it's the latter and the hackers have some spare time (which they likely do being hackers) then the customers are screwed. Again.

Security needs to be number one priority for everyone, But mainly companies and the government.

I really hope the catch the perpetrator and they get jail time for this.

I still dislike WarZ. But hacking is never a solution.

Andy Chalk:
OP Productions says there is no possibility that payment or billing information could be compromised.

email/password combination... albeit presumably encrypted

Sure, they say there's no payment information and they say passwords were encrypted. On the other hand, they said an awful lot about their game that turned out not to have much in common with reality.

Absolutionis:

Zero=Interrupt:

The game affected is WarZ, not DayZ. DayZ is a great mod for ArmA2. WarZ is an awful knockoff that lied to its players, got pulled from Steam and Amazon (temporarily), has a wonky banning pattern, and can't keep cheaters under control.

Apologies for mistyping, but my question stands. When will we see a cool hacker force-inflict a mod that changes all players into velociraptors?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here