This Sea Lion Has Groove, and She Doesn't Miss a Beat

This Sea Lion Has Groove, and She Doesn't Miss a Beat

Ronan is the first animal not capable of vocal mimicry who can keep a beat.

Ronan, a California sea lion, has proved herself to be pretty talented at following a beat, challenging current theories as to an animal's ability to synchronize itself with sound. Ronan, who is 3 years old, proved her ability to bob to the beat in a series of experiments at the University of California at Santa Cruz. Peter Cook, the leader of the study, explained, saying that "dancing is universal among humans, and until recently, it was thought to be unique to humans as well." However, some birds capable of mimicking humans have been observed to recognize and bob to sound. "When some species of birds were found to have a similar capability for rhythmic movement, it was linked to their ability to mimic sound. Now we're seeing that even mammals with limited vocal ability can move in time with a beat over a broad range of sounds and tempos," said Cook.

Ronan learned to dance first with a simple beat - John Fogerty's "Down on the Corner." Ronan proved that she could bob her head to music with a little training. When introduced to new music, however, Ronan bopped right along - she didn't need to be re-trained for a new tempo. That includes the five tempos of "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Over the course of the trials, Ronan's skills improved markedly, and she became able to keep up with various types and speeds of sounds. By the end of the trial, Ronan was even able to keep the beat with a computer generated metronome designed to skip beats. When she was tested a few weeks after the study, it was found that her skills hadn't atrophied - she had truly learned how to groove.

Source: EurekAlert

If you like our science coverage, you'll love Geekend Update! Check it out below.

Let's see her do KMFDM now.

Heavy metal seal is best seal. Still, poor things proberly got terrible neck cramps...

Okay, that made my day. That sea lion looks like she'd be the life of the party wherever she went.

That sea lion is going to Funky Town!

While that is awesome and all but I'm glad the sea lion isn't in some circus where he/ she would have to do that on a regular basis nor would the zookeeper let it listen to very fast beat song well.

*Checks date* Hmm, all clear. Science is just weird.

Does she do requests? Through the Fire and Flames!

Backstreet Boys? Who's the REAL animal here?

PunkRex:
Heavy metal seal is best seal. Still, poor things proberly got terrible neck cramps...

Lucky seal gets to listen to ALL the Deathclock albums :P

Now train it to a version of the Ganghem Style Dance and you will win the internet.

That is not only awesome, it's too adorable for words...

CriticalMiss:
Does she do requests? Through the Fire and Flames!

This is the most cruel thing imaginable...

Of all the things I have seen today ... ... a head-banging seal ... ...

God bless you, Internet!

Kwil:

Let's do it nao!!!

God, I am already getting a neck cramp.

So if you pay a mammal, they will do things that are otherwise thought to be otherwise implausible.

Until I heard they do so, I would never have thought that Seals hop onto boats for the express purpose to hitch a ride on them so they can travel up rivers via levies. Where there are no natural predators but plenty of fish.

Kwil:

it might be considered cruel, but lets see what happens when we use dubstep.

for

SCIENCE!

Kalezian:

Kwil:

it might be considered cruel, but lets see what happens when we use dubstep.

for

SCIENCE!

If this video is a reference

Amazingness

This seal would provide hours of entertainment at Sea World or a similar place. Now if we could just get multiple seals together to do this..

I have to watch this seal bob its head.

watched without sound due to being at work.
does not look like much. he just beats up and down in a monotonic matter, looks like something thats trained rather than feeling the rhythm

Strazdas:
does not look like much. he just beats up and down in a monotonic matter, looks like something thats trained rather than feeling the rhythm

Do you watch music videos in the same manner?

WAIT! You're misusing "Boogie Wonderland"! Train a bunch of penguins to dance to it! *gets looks* Okay...I refuse to believe I was the only one thinking of the original "Happy Feet"...

CAPTCHA: GOOD JOB

Not really...it was kind of an obvious ref.

CrossLOPER:

Strazdas:

What do you mean?
i dont watch music videos.

I could have sworn there was a story a while back about how scientists had watched a lot of animals 'dancing' on YouTube and determined that elephants could do it too. Sea lions being the first non-human mammal recorded? Nope, ninja'd by those light-footed elephants.

Strazdas:

CrossLOPER:

Strazdas:

What do you mean?

You watched a video that involves watching a sea lion bob its head to a beat, and then essentially complained that you didn't get it because it just looked like it was moving its head randomly, without the sound.

I asked if you watch music videos without sound, because that would be equally as pointless.

Strazdas:

what you missed without the sound is that they let the seal learn on a metronome with a simple 1 2 beat, then when they started playing other songs she picked up the beat on her own without any training needed to move her head to the different rhythms.

That's like me in the bar.
Just lying stoned on the dancefloor wiggling my head a drink in my hand!

CrossLOPER:

Strazdas:

CrossLOPER:

What do you mean?

You watched a video that involves watching a sea lion bob its head to a beat, and then essentially complained that you didn't get it because it just looked like it was moving its head randomly, without the sound.

I asked if you watch music videos without sound, because that would be equally as pointless.

No, i claimed that the seal was usign monotonous movements that do not provide any evidence of feeling the music, as it could be a simple trained movement.

Desert Punk:

then when they started playing other songs she picked up the beat on her own without any training needed to move her head to the different rhythms.

Except that she jsut moves exactly like she did at first....

i opened pandora's box here according to capcha. oh snap.

And yet, I still can't dance for shit.

Thanks, science. Now I'm sad again.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or