Disney Closes LucasArts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I can't remember that last time I actually enjoyed a game created by LucasArts. Now, all those IPs are free to be distributed to other studios that don't have the stigma the LucasArts generated for itself.

Well damn. 1313 was one of the few games I was looking forward to.

AzrealMaximillion:

Brad Shepard:
god dammit Disney! why would you do this?

Because LucasArts has been creatively dead since 2006? All the while losing money? Sounds like good reasons to me. Why keep a company that for the most part, puts out constant below average efforts.

Name recognition. Poor creativity, poor product, and bad management isn't inherent in a company, it's caused by the management team. A take over by Disney removed Lucases direction at the very top, and with some more shakeup they could have turned it back into a decent developer.

RIP Lucasarts, I'll remember you as you were. Hope that all that wonderful IP doesn't go to waste

Good. Maybe the licenses will go to people who know what the fuck they're doing.

They were dead for a long time now, Disney just put the poor zombie out of misery.

Let's face it. The best Star Wars games of the past decade were made by Traveller's Tales. If Disney is serious about licensing out those properties to people who know how to make games, I'm all for it.

If 1313 doesn't get acquired by another studio fairly quickly, then it probably would have just been another disappointment.

While the 150 people getting laid off is sad, that's about as far as I care here.

To me this is a 'and nothing of value was lost' situation, since the only game to come out with 'Lucas Arts' anywhere on it I liked was Metal Warriors on the SNES, and I think the only reason they're name was on it is cause one mech had a light saber

The only, and I do mean only, unfortunate part of this news is that 150 or so people lost their jobs.

That's it. Seriously.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

To everyone flipping out over LucasArts being shut-down, I have just one question:

When was the last time you both purchased and enjoyed a game from LucasArts?

LucasArts has been floundering for years. They'd already lost many of their most talented people and they haven't released, or licensed, a well-received title for at least half a decade.

At this point, it's actually better for them to function solely as a licensing division rather than an internal development studio.

It remains to be seen if they license the right projects to the right studios, of course, but at least this way there's a chance we can start seeing good Star Wars and Indiana Jones games again. And, let's not forget their other IPs. (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc) With them simply having to license the titles out, rather than fund and develop them, there's less risk and thus a better chance we can see those series revived.

Genocidicles:
Good. Maybe the licenses will go to people who know what the fuck they're doing.

Oh yes we all know that it will work for the best, take ea buying up smaller game companies and just sitting on IP's. Microsoft did the same thing with rare studio, gee that seemed to have worked out well. I mean look at where all of those IP's are now in our community.

Doclector:
You fucking idiots.

Oh, it's evil, sure. But not as much as it is monumentally stupid.

You have an incredibly talented group of people here, all ready and set up to make whatever you want, from a new, fresh IP, to, hell, challenging them to make a half decent tie in to star wars 7, and what do you do? You put 'em in the trash. Good job, disney. This is the worst incident of complete ignorance to a wealth of talent since you closed Blackrock.

Where have you been?

Most of LucasArts talent either left or was kicked out the door, you just need to look at some their more recent works as examples.

Hmm, maybe if some incredibly talented developers have been let go, maybe some more deserving IP's are about to get better resources. I'm not saying Lucas Arts was bad, I'm just saying it was rare to see a game from them that meant anything to me over the past decade.

Ironically, one of the last LucasArts titles I truly enjoyed was Afterlife. For a company that (for me at least) pretty much defined 90's gaming they really have had their foot off the gas for the last fifteen years.

Still, shame about those people getting laid off.

... And nothing of value was lost. Don't get me wrong, I like some of their published games as much as the next (Monkey Island and Kotor, especially) but they were developed by different studios and LucasArts themselves have been creatively dead since forever.

Edit: Of course, sucks for the people who lost their jobs :/

Hopefully they'll be able to pick up something else.

So now the question is will Disney do something with the many Ip's or just keep doing the same thing and do nothing interesting. My bet's unfortunately on the latter with the state of things apart from some tie ins with the new star wars movies.

Grouchy Imp:
Ironically, one of the last LucasArts titles I truly enjoyed was Afterlife. For a company that (for me at least) pretty much defined 90's gaming they really have had their foot off the gas for the last fifteen years.

Something to think about. I'm not sure how they got so bad. It's like everything "Lucas" got flipped upside down at the same time.

Yes, it's a shame for them individually but I really hope this means a better development landscape elsewhere in game development world where the best of those laid off get picked up quickly.

I was looking forward to 1313. And Battlefront 3. Oh my god I'll never see another Battlefront game. Die you mouse loving pricks. DIE!

Well fuck you Disney,

what the fuck disney?

cancelling star wars 1313. you dumb fool. what have you done?

Adam Jensen:
I was looking forward to 1313. And Battlefront 3. Oh my god I'll never see another Battlefront game. Die you mouse loving pricks. DIE!

guess you never asked for this..

Gatx:
Man, there was a point early on when I only cared about Star Wars videogames - Jedi Outcast, Rogue Leader, Bounty Hunter, etc. Those really were the glory days (for me anyway, I wasn't around for the adventure game stuff), but alas.

MrPeanut:

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Wait, does this mean no Battlefront 3?

Dear deities in Heaven, say this is not the end for Battlefront 3!!!!

Battlefront 3 was canceled like years ago.

Yeah but there was that stuff about a shooter called First Assault, and if that did well they'd go ahead with Battlefront 3 (I don't understand the logic there myself, I thought they should've just called it Battlefront 3 since the gameplay was the same) but that's scrapped along with 1313 apparently.

From what I understand, First Assault was supposed to be a smaller scale (more like CoD than classic Battlefield in terms of campaign and multiplayer modes) game that was mainly a platform to test a new engine, which would then be used as the platform that Battlefront 3 would be built on. Realistically, that's the only part of modern Lucasarts that I'm sad to see go. Thinking back, pretty much all of the games from them I cared about back in the day were made by another dev and just published by Lucasarts. The only two games I know for sure were developed in house were Dark Forces and the first Jedi Knight -- the other two games in that series were farmed out to another studio. I guess the Rebel Assault games may have also been done in house? Because I know the X-Wing series was done by Totally Games, and those are the three big Lucasarts games I played as a kid. The two series I've liked since then have been done by Bioware/Obsidian and Pandemic.

Basically, Lucasarts was only a great /developer/ back in their Adventure game heyday and maybe for a few years after that. Essentially everything good they've put out since Jedi Knight they just published, not developed.

LucasArts! You were the chosen one!

I agree with the sentiments of many of the posters here. I haven't heard of a decent game from them in forever, but those classic titles like Maniac Mansion, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Full Throttle, Rebel Assault, Day of the Tentacle and Zak McKracken are some of the most cherished titles in my collection.

This probably wouldn't have been necessary if LucasArts hadn't been limiting themselves to only doing Star Wars related projects.

If that happened 10 years ago, I'd be pretty pissed.

But nowadays, after everything that went down with Free Radical, I don't think putting them down is much of a loss.

I'm actually not even upset by this. Between TFU:2, star wars kinnect, and whatever other shovelware they have been peddling these past years they had it coming.

Am I sad about not seeing Jedi Knight 4, another KoTR, or BF3? You bet your ass I am. However, let's be realistic here for a second. Lucasarts had YEARS to do anything with these titles other than shelving them and didn't do shit with those IP's.

Disney didn't deprive you of these titles, Lucasarts deprived you of those titles and disney rightly put them out of their misery.

That's really bad news. They've provided me with hours and hours and entertainment over the decades. I have alwasy held out hope for a sequel to Full Throttle. Condolences to the staff now out of a job.

Andy Shandy:

Don't you mean "The Final Straw"?

I really don't give a damn about Lucasarts anymore, their magic lasted for ten years from 1989 to 1999(Coincidence? Fuck no!) then they faded, the last game I bought of theirs was Battlefront 2, everything after that was the wail of a dying, bleeding beast, lego games and dance games? How do you go from Star Wars: Tie Fighter and Full Throttle to Angry Birds: Star Wars and Kinect Star Wars? Your parent company makes shit movies that's how.

Episode 1 ruined everything.

Goodnight sweet Game Producer, and flights of Star Wars cash ins sing thee to thy rest.
Honestly though, despite their pedigree, recently they just haven't put out anything worth a damn with the arguable exception of the Battlefront series which were mostly done by Pandemic (RIP) anyway.

Lightknight:

Grouchy Imp:

Something to think about. I'm not sure how they got so bad. It's like everything "Lucas" got flipped upside down at the same time.

Yes, it's a shame for them individually but I really hope this means a better development landscape elsewhere in game development world where the best of those laid off get picked up quickly.

Had the layoffs happened ten years ago I have no doubt that other developers would snap up those 150 staff members in short order. The problem is that LucasArts has done little in the last decade except re-hash the same few StarWars and Indiana Jones games, so is there really anything a dev can look at to say "Yes! I want the people responsible for 'insert title here' on our payroll!" ? Unfortunately, probably not.

*ahem*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now that that is out of the way, let's get serious.

Disney, what was the point of buying the studio if you were just going to shut it down? It just wasted your money, rid you of 150 people who would have made whatever you told them to (was honestly expecting an Episode 7 tie-in/cashgrab), and showed the gaming world you have very little understanding of what you're doing.

Plus cancelling all LucasArts projects? That was just stupid. Now everyone waiting for 1313 (i.e. roughly 2/3 of the Star Wars fanbase) hates you. You better either start up a Star Wars studio or start letting other studios pick up that game quick -and starting BF3 and Republic Commando 2 while you're at it wouldn't be a bad idea either.

God damnit, I thought if we elected Obama, the Chinese would somehow get the rights to Star Wars and keep it, and LucasArts, safe!
Sorry, South Park joke.

OT: I kinda saw this coming. Yeah, it's sad but I guess it allows for a whole new reset of a few of their games. I'm still hoping for both a Republic Commando 2 and a Battlefront 3.

Yeah proud enough to fire 150 of them I see. That said yeah I'm not too sad about losing LucasArts. The guys that made it great in the 90's had long since been sacked or moved on only to be replaced by nitwits that didn't know how to make a videogame.

CAPTCHA: Cut and Run
indeed it was CAPTACHA. Thanks for adding.

I want to get upset but Lucasarts hasn't done anything decent in over a decade. I could look at this as a mercy killing. It sucks about the job losses though.

LucasArts has been sick for a while. It needed for us to just let it go.

Remember the good times, and know that with LucasArts games in your game library, they're never truely gone.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, dirige nos Domine Domine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)