Trailer Shows off Wii U Exclusive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Trailer Shows off Wii U Exclusive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut

A new trailer demonstrates the new version's enhanced visuals, new boss battle strategies, and off-screen play on the Wii U GamePad.

Despite a few small hiccups, Deus Ex: Human Revolution was well received by gamers and critics. It was also a welcome release for Square Enix, the game's publisher, which saw substantial profits from its success at retail. Originally released for PS3, Xbox 360 and PCs, it was announced in March of 2013 that a new version of Human Revolution, complete with updated gameplay, enhanced graphics and unique control options, would be coming exclusively to the Wii U. Square Enix has now released a trailer showing off Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut.

The trailer primarily shows the game's improved visuals. The Director's Cut utilizes improved lighting, fog and smoothing effects that should give it some extra sheen when compared to the original versions. The trailer also demonstrates some of how the game will utilize the Wii U GamePad, including glimpses of off-screen play. This being said, there are other features shown in the trailer that veterans of the original release might find particularly tantalizing.

Most notably, the Director's Cut may rectify one of the biggest problems with the original version: its boss battles. When Human Revolution was first released, many noted that its boss encounters felt somewhat out of step with the rest of the game. Where most of Human Revolution gave you options to avoid violence, you tended not to have a choice in taking down boss characters. It was later confirmed by Eidos Montreal, the studio behind Human Revolution, that they had outsourced the boss fights to a separate developer. "Boss fights have been entirely redesigned," said Square Enix. "It's now possible to defeat bosses without the need to fire a single bullet." This will likely come as a delight to the many gamers who loved the multifaceted experience of Human Revolution, but disliked the boss battles for being so standard.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut should be coming out later this year.

So this is Deus Ex: Human revolution Better Edition?

If they don't patch the original game with those changed boss fights, I'll feel a bit screwed over.

So my Wii U won't be a $350 ZombiU player anymore? I'm so starved for something to do with that damned machine that this should do nicely. I bet some inventory Tetris on the gamepad would suit it well. And before anyone asks, Monster Hunter failed to impress me the few times I tried it on PSP, even with people telling me that my Dark Souls inclinations should translate into undying love for some reason.

I don't know why but the voiceover for that trailer irked the shit out of me.

I didn't ask for this...

Har har. Very interested to see the redesign of the boss fights, even if I'll never get to play them myself (unless they patch the PS3 version).

The Wii U, it can play PS3/360 games!

Isn't the next-gen amazing?
(Those redone boss fights sound cool though)

P.S. That's a terrible atmosphere-ruining voice over btw

y'know, it would have been nice if they bothered to at least patch the other versions for consistency

not that they're obligated to

but i think it'd be a shame if they didn't fix it

"Without firing a bullet"

But I could do that with the first and fourth boss fight, and the second if you don't count PEPS.

I think what most people were disappointed in the fights in how you were funneled into the fight with no way to avoid it, you were forced to break stealth, and you were forced to use violence. If you want to know what the fights should've looked like, the fight with Freeze in Arkham City gives a few indications.

weirdguy:
y'know, it would have been nice if they bothered to at least patch the other versions for consistency

Nintendo probably paid for this, given they're advertising the 'exclusive' part. Maybe some of it might sneak in as DLC or something after a time

So it only took 2 extra years before we finally got the finished game.

Vaccine:

Because it sounds like a typical hollow corporate shill?

BrotherRool:

weirdguy:

Nintendo probably paid for this, given they're advertising the 'exclusive' part. Maybe some of it might sneak in as DLC or something after a time

i don't know if they specifically asked for the fixes, but if they did, i'm proud of them

Youtube Description:
And with anti-aliasing, this is the best looking Deus Ex available.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuull. The PC version already had FXAA and MLAA implementations for anti-aliasing. Unless they managed to integrate high quality MSAA into the game, which would be a damn miracle considering the lighting system, the anti-aliasing is not going to be better than on PC. The PC version already had features like improved lighting and shadows, along with stuff like tessellation and higher quality ambient occlusion. Not to mention you can run the game at 1080p or above on PC (and it's relatively light on performance, you could likely hit 1080p with something as lightweight as a Radeon HD 7770). If they get the game running higher than 720p on the Wii U I'll go buy one right now. Marketing BS.[/pcmasterrant]

weirdguy:

BrotherRool:

weirdguy:

i don't know if they specifically asked for the fixes, but if they did, i'm proud of them

I imagine it's something the devs would've wanted to fix given the chance anyway.

We'll have to see how it turns out, they could still turn out to not be very fun. There's a way to basically skip a particularly tough boss fight in Alpha Protocol but people still complain about the fight. I still think the best patchy solution would be to tweak down the damage output of the bosses, because they didn't give you time to think or make mistakes

What a waste. Most of the game's fans won't get to experience the improvements, unless there's a planned Director's Cut update we haven't heard about.

Vaccine:

Yeah, it just screamed generic in the worst possible way. Or someone trying to make something uninteresting interesting. Or addressing a group of children as if they had never played anything even like a videogame before.

So, AWFUL presentation, but thanks to my experience with the game, it is still interesting.

Okay, that may have been one of the worst voiceovers I've ever heard on a trailer, but I'm still excited for this.

Gives me a reason to play the Wii U again at least.

Here's hoping we get an update patch like The Witcher 2 did. But Who am I kidding. We're probably going to have to pay for the whole game again when they get around to making it available for other platforms.

said Square Enix. "It's now possible to defeat bosses without the need to fire a single bullet."

One step forward, two steps back...

In deus ex there were only two instances in which you could do this. How was explained and justified through story rather than gameplay, it was not a means to cop-out or to be exploited but rather was left as a choice.

Akichi Daikashima:

If they don't patch the original game with those changed boss fights, I'll feel a bit screwed over.

Same here. No attempt to port at least PART of these gameplay improvements to the PC and other platforms = no sale + publisher boycott. If they do not port at least PART of these gameplay improvements then all they are doing is screwing over EVERY loyal customer they got from the game for the chance to use a touchscreen! Not a fair trade IMHO

That voiceover made me feel like I was back in the nineties being advertised a new game. It was boring, uninspired, and made me feel a little embarrassed to be a gamer. Also, to whom does the line "You are Adam Jensen" supposed to appeal to?

doggie015:

Akichi Daikashima:

Same here. No attempt to port at least PART of these gameplay improvements to the PC and other platforms = no sale + publisher boycott. If they do not port at least PART of these gameplay improvements then all they are doing is screwing over EVERY loyal customer they got from the game for the chance to use a touchscreen! Not a fair trade IMHO

How?

I mean, it's not as if these are gamebugs or glitches they're fixing here. They're making aesthetic and mechanical changes to the game, and have decided to offer it as a new version. You bought your version of the game, and got what you paid for.

How is this any different to new DVDs of a director's cut? When I picked up Blade Runner: The Final Cut, I didn't see queues of people in HMV demanding that they replace their original DVD of the film with the updated one. I imagine these new changes to the game cost time and money to develop, and I don't see a problem with Eidos/Square trying to get a return on investment.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

doggie015:

Akichi Daikashima:

How?

I mean, it's not as if these are gamebugs or glitches they're fixing here. They're making aesthetic and mechanical changes to the game, and have decided to offer it as a new version. You bought your version of the game, and got what you paid for.

How is this any different to new DVDs of a director's cut? When I picked up Blade Runner: The Final Cut, I didn't see queues of people in HMV demanding that they replace their original DVD of the film with the updated one. I imagine these new changes to the game cost time and money to develop, and I don't see a problem with Eidos/Square trying to get a return on investment.

The ARE bugs in the game! The bossfights FORCE you to fight unlike the ENTIRETY OF THE REST OF THE GAME! The power regen is PUNISHING and punishes you for using augmentations for more than a minute or so at a time! In a MOVIE director's cut there is NEW content for the movie. However for this game there is an UPDATING of content in the game. UPDATES LIKE THIS SHOULD BE RELEASED FOR ALL!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

doggie015:

Akichi Daikashima:

How?

Better boss fights; the boss-fights were terrible and unlike the proper Deus Ex experience we wanted/were (sort of) promised.

With the ones we have now, you have to specialize to some degree in combat/buy lethal weapons if you want to progress in the game, which skews the gameplay and directs players towards a certain approach.

Hell, even if the boss fights were DLC it would still be more reasonable.

An example of this in another game: Imagine in KoTOR II, that every single jedi/sith that you fought would negate you the use of force powers and only allow you to fight them with blasters.

Then years down the line, they release a port for the PS3 with improved Boss fights that allowed you to use any weapon/force power against them.

Also the fact that the version fixes bugs makes it even more suspect; if they don't patch the other versions on release (the ones that fix the bugs) then they will essentially degrade the value of the original version of the game, and forces those whose experience was ruined by bugs/boss fights to buy the Wii U version, or even buy a Wii U AND the game with it.

It feels like a cynical attempt(at closer examination) to shift more Wii U units.

doggie015:

Akichi Daikashima:

Wait, My Copy of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (original) is sitting in the corner...

I SHOULD TOTALLY BOYCOTT KONAMI UNTIL THEY GIVE ME A FREE UPGRADE TO SUBSISTANCE WITH HD GRAPHICS!

That is what you sound like. These are large mechanical changes to the game. This has been done before. Why should you get a free upgrade?

doggie015:
The ARE bugs in the game! The bossfights FORCE you to fight unlike the ENTIRETY OF THE REST OF THE GAME! The power regen is PUNISHING and punishes you for using augmentations for more than a minute or so at a time! In a MOVIE director's cut there is NEW content for the movie. However for this game there is an UPDATING of content in the game. UPDATES LIKE THIS SHOULD BE RELEASED FOR ALL!

That isn't a bug.

No, seriously. Poor gameplay design is not the same thing as a bug. A bug is when part of the game's code doesn't work properly, meaning that the game is in a sense malfunctioning. That is not the same thing as just regular bad gameplay.

If you don't like the gameplay of the boss fights, that's fine. But no matter how bad they are, chances are that they're running perfectly fine based on the game's coding. For the Wii U boss fights, they actually had to create NEW content- new level areas, changes to existing ears, new placement of items and such, in order to accommodate the gameplay changes. The changes to the boss fights alone would amount to about the same level of change as your average director's cut edition of a film.

Given that they're also updating the graphics, coming up with new implementations of the Gamepad touchscreen, and tweaking the AI, I'd say they're perfectly fine in offering this up as a new product on a console that hasn't seen the game yet. It's fundamentally no different to Devil May Cry 3: SE, MGS3: Subsistence or the upcoming PS3 Director's Cut of Deadly Premonition.

Akichi Daikashima:

Also the fact that the version fixes bugs makes it even more suspect; if they don't patch the other versions on release (the ones that fix the bugs) then they will essentially degrade the value of the original version of the game, and forces those whose experience was ruined by bugs/boss fights to buy the Wii U version, or even buy a Wii U AND the game with it.

It feels like a cynical attempt(at closer examination) to shift more Wii U units.

Well duh. A Wii U exclusive version of a game is being used to sell Wii U's. That's kind of how hardware exclusivity works. The only reason Microsoft had time DLC exclusivity deals on GTA and Skyrim was to shift more 360 units. That's how things work in the industry, and all three are guilty of pulling crap like that.

Just rest easy in the knowledge that, if Razer's Edge is any indication, this'll probably be heading to 360 and PS3 sometime in the future.

Capitano Segnaposto:

doggie015:

Akichi Daikashima:

Wait, My Copy of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (original) is sitting in the corner...

I SHOULD TOTALLY BOYCOTT KONAMI UNTIL THEY GIVE ME A FREE UPGRADE TO SUBSISTANCE WITH HD GRAPHICS!

That is what you sound like. These are large mechanical changes to the game. This has been done before. Why should you get a free upgrade?

Probably should edit my original post; I was fuming at the time(more so, but I still am) at the better boss fights thing.

If they do it as a DLC I suppose I'll be OK with it; hell, Shogun 2 released a graphical option as DLC, and I didn't see anything wrong with(as it is dirt-cheap)

Good, I've been waiting for more games to play on my Wii-U, Deus Ex, the Awesome edition? Sold.

DrunkOnEstus:
And before anyone asks, Monster Hunter failed to impress me the few times I tried it on PSP, even with people telling me that my Dark Souls inclinations should translate into undying love for some reason.

I've never played Dark Souls or Demon Souls or Dark Souls II...assuming that's out...anyway, I've seen enough gameplay of it to wonder out loud...what makes people compare Dark Souls with Monster Hunter...? The monster designs for DS are similar I suppose (and R-Rated to the PG/PG-13 monsters of Monster Hunter) but gameplay wise I don't see as many similarities as other people.

---

I've bought worse games multiple times so once this is out on the U I'll be happily shelling out for my copy. I can't wait to see how the new boss fights go over. The way the gamepad is going to be used seems obvious but that isn't a bad thing. Hopefully I'll have completed Lego City Undercover and Lego Batman before this is out. I would mention Monster Hunter again but I don't think that game...well, ends.

I called this a couple of weeks ago by the way so place your bets: I'm guessing within the next few weeks X-Com: Enemy Unknown will be the next game ported to the U.

Capitano Segnaposto:

doggie015:

Akichi Daikashima:

Have they announced such an update to Metal Gear Solid 3? NO!

Have they announced such an update for a game which will be EXTREMELY IMPROVED by this platform-exclusive UPDATE? YES! I paid a lot of money for this game and the fact that they announce this UPDATE to be wiiU exclusive SERIOUSLY pisses me off!

Akichi Daikashima:
...If they do it as a DLC I suppose I'll be OK with it; hell, Shogun 2 released a graphical option as DLC, and I didn't see anything wrong with(as it is dirt-cheap)

I will be more than happy to pay up to $25 on top of the original game's price if I can get these improvements as DLC on other platforms. That's $25 more than the $0 they would get from me if they release this UPDATE as a wiiU exclusive as I do not own and cannot afford to buy a wiiU!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
...For the Wii U boss fights, they actually had to create NEW content- new level areas, changes to existing ears, new placement of items and such, in order to accommodate the gameplay changes...

So... they are reworking the maps for the new gameplay... They are not adding NEW maps, just reworking the existing maps... That is by definition an UPDATE!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Given that they're also updating the graphics...

You said it yourself, that is an UPDATE!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
...tweaking the AI...

Again; THAT IS AN UPDATE!

The only NEW thing is support for the gamepad. If you remove this then it is an UPDATE! It should be easy to REMOVE support for the gamepad while leaving the other stuff in and then selling it as DLC or releasing it as an UPDATE for other platforms

WTF

It couldn't come to PC at the very least?

Shoggoth2588:

I've never played Dark Souls or Demon Souls or Dark Souls II...assuming that's out...anyway, I've seen enough gameplay of it to wonder out loud...what makes people compare Dark Souls with Monster Hunter...? The monster designs for DS are similar I suppose (and R-Rated to the PG/PG-13 monsters of Monster Hunter) but gameplay wise I don't see as many similarities as other people.

I've seen people try to compare Dark Souls to Zelda and Skyrim. It was HILARIOUS how people tried to manufacture some artificial rivalry between Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Skyward Sword back in 2011.

I've bought worse games multiple times so once this is out on the U I'll be happily shelling out for my copy. I can't wait to see how the new boss fights go over. The way the gamepad is going to be used seems obvious but that isn't a bad thing. Hopefully I'll have completed Lego City Undercover and Lego Batman before this is out. I would mention Monster Hunter again but I don't think that game...well, ends.

I called this a couple of weeks ago by the way so place your bets: I'm guessing within the next few weeks X-Com: Enemy Unknown will be the next game ported to the U.

This and the Wii U version of Resident Evil: Revelations are the only times I've considered rebuying a game that wasn't a fighting game. It looks like they are legitimately improving and expanding on the game as opposed to just slapping on some Wii U features and calling it a day.

I'm ok with paying for this content for my Xbox 360. That's how much I love this game.

There's a lot of things they could fix now that they're revisiting the game; not only could they bring the redesigns into the boss fights, they could also add an upgrade package to the augmented edition on Steam and other digital distribution services. (In fact, why are most companies forgetting or ignoring the ability to add package upgrades in the first place?)

Fun fact: I could've actually been an Adam Jensen, if things didn't fall apart very quickly on that one fateful night...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

You don't need an entirely different 300$ DVD player to watch Blade Runner: The Final Cut. Just a new 20-30$ DVD/Bluray.

As for the rest of the complaints, it's that they're not just developing WiiU specific features like special use of the Gamepad, but rectifying one the most criticized aspect of the original game. "Want to play the game with the glaring boss problems fixed? Buy a WiiU, plus the full game again, minus keyboard and mouse support. Enjoy."

Mr.Tea:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

You don't need an entirely different DVD player to watch Blade Runner: The Final Cut. And it's "only" 20-30$.

Unless the "DVD" is actually a newly released Blu-Ray and you don't have a player for it...

OT: I dunno, I sort of figured out that games like this don't really sell on the WiiU (Updated Ports that were on Non-Nintendo Consoles), so I don't know how successful this will be. Maybe I can pick it up, but I dunno...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here