Dragon Quest X Tanks On Wii U

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Quest X Tanks On Wii U

33 thousand units in a week is a poor showing for a Dragon Quest title.

Things aren't looking good for Square Enix. Sales of its recent western releases have been "disappointing" (though to be clear, those "disappointing" sales number in the millions), its previous CEO bailed in spectacular fashion and the company is currently going through a period of belt tightening that has already cost people their jobs. But at least Squeenix can always depend on the steady sales of Dragon Quest to keep the money flowing, right? Wrong.

A couple of months back, Square Enix admitted it was "disappointed" in the sales and subscription retention of cutesy Wii MMO, Dragon Quest X. It'll likely be doubly disappointed with sales of the recently released Wii U version, which has managed only 33 thousand copies sold in its first week on sale in Japan; awful numbers for a Dragon Quest release.

To put that number into perspective. Luigi's Mansion for 3DS enjoyed some 110 thousand sales, Animal Crossing: New Leaf clocked up 58 thousand and ludicrously beautiful/niche port, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, managed 45k, on the Vita.

The Wii U/Dragon Quest bundle doubled the console's Japanese sales week over week, putting units sold at 22,942 for the week. For comparison, 31 thousand Vitas and 67 thousand 3DS' were sold in the same week.

Source: 4Gamer Via NeoGaf

The WiiU is going to prove to be a spectacular failure until they manage what Spring 2013 is doing for the 3DS: Releasing a ton of software that people want.

Dragon Quest 10 is a MMO? Why? Did they forget the core of what people want from the Dragon Quest/Warrior series? An actual good RPG with an ever improving adventure with possibly new mechanics.

Dear Square Enix,

Dragon Quest X would have made money if you actually made Dragon Quest X. But you didn't. You made FF XIV with Dragon Quest monsters. Stop being stupid. Dragon Quest fans want good, old-fashioned RPGs. MMOs do not fall into that category.

Sincerely,

Ever Dragon Quest/Warrior fan in the last 25 years.

Tenmar:
Dragon Quest 10 is a MMO? Why? Did they forget the core of what people want from the Dragon Quest/Warrior series? An actual good RPG with an ever improving adventure with possibly new mechanics.

Y'know, for all their faults I genuinely like Square Enix. They've made some great games. I honestly would like to see them succeed (and pull out some better JRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy XIII, but I digress)

I saw this thread and seriously considered purchasing this Dragon Quest sequel I'd never heard of, since I've yet to play a DQ game (weird, I know) and now's a good a time as any...

...but then I see it's an MMO. An MMO isn't quite the same thing as good single player RPG. While I can enjoy both, I'm quite MMO'd out at the moment, and I'd imagine much of their fanbase is.

I was very surprised that Dragon Quest sold poorly, until I saw the words MMO...

Dear game developers,

Please stop trying to achieve WoW levels of subscribers. Blizzard have had a FUCKING DECADE to get to that level. No matter how good you think/know your game to be, YOU WILL NEVER BEAT WOW IN A YEAR.

Please stop trying. I miss high quality RPGs, as do most of the fans that actually want a decent RPG.

This was a thing?

Also? MMO?

No thanks.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
The WiiU is going to prove to be a spectacular failure

Except that this actually isn't the Wii U's fault.

Dragon Quest is a popular series, yes, but it's not as popular as it once was. The last great-selling game in the franchise was released back in 2009 on the DS. Before that? Back in 2004 on the PS2. Let's be honest, many people don't even remember that this franchise is still running except its dedicated fans.

Plus, Dragon Quest X is an MMO, which cut into their sales (because not everyone who bought the original franchise games wants to play an MMO based on DQ).

Also, the game was originally released on the Wii back in 2012, and only in Japan, where it barely pushed over half a million units. So no one (except apparently the author of this article) expected the game to suddenly start selling like hotcakes a year later on the Wii U.

Tenmar:

Because MMOs are cool.

<.<

>.>

Sorry, looking for River Song. She usually shoots things at this point.

This is the follower mentality the industry has had for over 30 years. It's just been cranked to 11. Nowadays, everything has to be a shooter, an MMO, or an MMO/shooter hybrid.

There are so many games on the 3DS I want this year it's crazy, while the WII U aside from maybe Zelda doesn't interest me at all..

CriticKitten:
So no one (except apparently the author of this article) expected the game to suddenly start selling like hotcakes a year later on the Wii U.

Squeeeenix was still promoting it as one of their big sellers in investor relations materials as recently as this year. It seems like the people who reported the prior disappointment, the ones who this article was talking about, expected the DQ brand to still be a mover and a shaker.

Maybe it's best to look at this article in context, rather than place blame on the author.

Okay, they went wrong in not one, but SEVERAL places with this one.

1. Its a port of a game that already didn't do too amazingly.

2. It is a F!@#ING MMO OF A GAME THAT SHOULDN'T BE AN MMO.

3. It wasn't a new, single player Dragon Quest.

4. It wasn't developed by Level 5. I haven't played any dragon quests besides No. 8, but I do remember that 8 & 9 were developed by Level 5, one of the better JRPG developers at this time. Also, it was developed by Squeenix, and they haven't done too well on the development side recently.

It's kind of a confirmation that they just don't know what their audience wants, do they? Like making a survey or just heading out to the streets is way too hard to them.

I loved Dragon Quest on my Playstation 2, but the very idea of it being turned into an MMO is just stupid. A game that never even had multiplayer split screen. Might as well make a Metal Gear MMO or a Zelda MMO.

It's sad that the gaming industry is so disconnected from its consumer base.

33k is abysmal, but it doesn't take into account the facts that it was released on the 30th (and was only tracked on the charts for 2 days), and the digital release was 50% off if you already owned the Wii version (and it didn't track digital sales).

That doesn't mean it secretly sold a gajillion copies, but the numbers could easily be double what they listed. For an install base of less than a million that's performing fairly.

It should also be mentioned that the Wii U managed to sell more than the PS3 in Japan that week. That's pretty significant and we'll probably see the Wii U sell 60k or more units worldwide this week.

If anyone should be disappointed in a game's performance, it should be Nintendo with Game and Wario which only sold 22k in Japan. Yikes. Still no western release date? C'mon, Nintendo, get your act together.

So not only is it an MMO instalment in a mostly single-player franchise (ala FF14) but it's also a re-release of an MMO that didn't do very well to begin with?

Who the hell Green-lit this?

how hard is it it do customer research?

Dear consumers on our mailing list, would you like Dragon Quest X to be a mmo?

y/n

Silly Square Enix

This reminds me I still have to finish 8, which is amazing so far. And Japan already has New Leaf?! I'm going to have to go and pout.

Square, stop making MMOs.

FFIX was somehow good from what I have heard, but FFIV was a train wreck beyond recovery and this is just a sign you guys should not try it anymore.

This is the same square enix that hasn't made a good FF game since 10 though, if any dev can kill a franchise it's that one. I mean, EA could acquire them and give them a run for their money, but squeenix is cranking out shitty sequels without EA's influence at all.

I think the most notable thing squeenix has done is... cutscenes in deus ex? Their own releases have been fairly ass. Very pretty, polished pieces of ass with stunning visuals showing each ass hair, but lacking the depth and quality of older titles that made the older games stand out as obviously not ass.

any of you commenting actually seen or know anything this game ?
because it doesn't read like it...

its not "a re-release" or "a port" in any way, shape, or form for example.

Dragon Quest X on Wii and Wii U are the same game.

it was always intended to be released on both consoles.

two clients, two platforms, one "cross platform" game.

Sleekit:
any of you commenting actually seen or know anything the game ? because it doesn't read like it...

So the Wii version and the WiiU version are completely different games?

Sounds like a port to me.

Scribblesense:

If anyone should be disappointed in a game's performance, it should be Nintendo with Game and Wario which only sold 22k in Japan. Yikes. Still no western release date? C'mon, Nintendo, get your act together.

Wait, Game & Wario is already out in Japan? Fuck D: And still no release date for the US or (god help us all) Europe? Well poop. Nintendo, all this talk about how you learned from the 3DS's faults at the beginning apparently really has been just talk. Well, let's hope they pick up the pace eventually and the WiiU starts selling like hotcakes in a year or so.

As someone that owns every DQ game except 7, which may be rectified in time, I was never in any way interested in DQ X.

To be honest even if they hadn't made the extremely poor choice of making it an MMO, by now I'm pretty much all DQed out.

The level of variation from game to game is almost nothing in most of them. Same music, same enemies, same spells, same equipment, items, EVERYTHING. And the characters are mixed and matched from the 6 or 7 ones that Toriyama is actually capable of producing etc.

I adored DQ8, and while I like the rest well enough I'd say that my #2 favorite was 5. The one where your kids eventually join you I think? That was fun.

But seriously, you should only be able to go so far with a series when literally ALL your art assets, music, and so on are just recycled over and over from the 80s. At least Mario games still attempt to be different.

Well I guess DQX tried to be different, and fans of the series obviously prefer the same old same old.

On a side note, do they actually pay Akira Toriyama anything for each new DQ game? The only thing new that he produces in each one is a final boss that more or less looks like any DBZ villian. Obviously I know WHY, but there is having your own style as an artist, and then there is recycling the same character pieces over and over because you are a talentless hack that has somehow coasted by for decades.

Yoshitaka Amano also has a distinctive style, and his body of work is quite diverse. Color, medium, composition, subject matter, realistic, fantastic, classical, abstract he has mastered quite a bit. Toriyama's work is charming, but just about anyone can draw it. Its literally the first thing most tyro anime artists attempt to reproduce, because if you can't draw a slime then there really isn't any hope for you. I loved Dragon Ball as much as anyone, but it certainly wasn't due to the artwork. I just think Goku is a really good character. I don't see why the popularity of DB needed to translate into a game series recyling the same crap almost completely verbatim for 10+ games now.

Despite that little rant, Chrono Trigger is still one of my top 5 games of all time. Secret of Mana I liked at the time. But if they were on Chrono X and still using reptoids and roly polys and the final boss looked like majin buu I'd be just as fed up.

CriticKitten:

Dragon Quest is a popular series, yes, but it's not as popular as it once was. The last great-selling game in the franchise was released back in 2009 on the DS. Before that? Back in 2004 on the PS2. Let's be honest, many people don't even remember that this franchise is still running except its dedicated fans.

To be fair, you are arguing that Dragon Quest is not as popular as it once was so people shouldn't be surprised that Dragon Quest X didn't do that well since they haven't had any great selling games in the series since Dragon Quest IX or Dragon Quest VIII before it. Dragon Quest games have been on a roughly 3-5 year release cycle since they made the first one for SNES (Dragon Quest V), everything else Dragon Quest released since 2004 was either a spinoff (none of which did all that great, although Rocket Slime was a ton of fun) or a remake of one of the NES or SNES games for DS (which also haven't done well, but then most people just, you know, emulate NES or SNES when they want to play one of those games -- fansubs have been around forever).

Really, what that says is that Dragon Quest fans love Dragon Quest, so give us more Dragon Quest instead of this other shit!

Gee... they made massive changes to one of the most traditional games of all time and are surprised that their long time fan base didn't like it?

Square... what are you smoking these days? Seriously...

No one asked for a dragon quest mmo, dragon quest thrived being purely single player and making the player feel special in the game world rather then a random drone in an mmo. Now it's just another boring ass mmo in an endless sea of mmo's with nothing to show for it, this is what square had coming for not listening to their fan's. As big of a fan I am of square this is what they deserve.

It's a special feeling when you can recall moments in every game of a series, and now that feeling is forever broken now that I refuse to play another drab mmo. They broke the series with a now corporate feel.

Zeckt:
No one asked for a dragon quest mmo, dragon quest thrived being purely single player and making the player feel special in the game world rather then a random drone in an mmo. Now it's just another boring ass mmo in an endless sea of mmo's with nothing to show for it, this is what square had coming for not listening to their fan's. As big of a fan I am of square this is what they deserve.

It's a special feeling when you can recall moments in every game of a series, and now that feeling is forever broken now that I refuse to play another drab mmo. They broke the series with a now corporate feel.

Well, to be fair the leaf was starting to fall when DQ IX came out on the DS. I tried playing it as my first entry into the Dragon Quest series and was severely disappointed by how dependent it was on multiplayer. The only emotion I could muster out of myself was dejected sighing, which now that I think on it probably doesn't count as an emotion...

Crono1973:

Sleekit:
any of you commenting actually seen or know anything the game ? because it doesn't read like it...

If they fully intended this for both versions from the beginning people usually don't use the term port. Port implies different features or a later release date or something(gta4 on Xbox and ps3=different versions, gta4 on pc=port because later released and terribly optimised).

Scribblesense:
It should also be mentioned that the Wii U managed to sell more than the PS3 in Japan that week. That's pretty significant and we'll probably see the Wii U sell 60k or more units worldwide this week.

Let's be fair: it probably has something to do with the fact that with PS4 being already announced, PS3 is now officially obsolete. I bet Wii U outsells PS3 only becasue less people are buying the latter. Might be wrong though. I'm not saying that Wii U is a bad console, but it definetly isn't a must-have thing for anybody who doesn't have a lot of disposable income or isn't a Nintendo fan.

Could the game be tanking because DQ has a fanbase which prefers single player experiences, and SE has released an MMO?
Or is it because of the WiiU failing? Hmm ... I wonder what the headlines will look like.

Making this superb solo experience MMO: dumb, but with a very tiny chance of being awesome...
But, releasing it on a system that hardly sold explains perfectly why no one is buying.

If no one has the system, who is going to buy the game?
Installed base is everything. Come on, release this on PS3 or 360 or PC and I'd considder it quite seriously.
Sure as hell would sell at least 10-20 times more that way!!!

teebeeohh:

Crono1973:

Sleekit:

If they fully intended this for both versions from the beginning people usually don't use the term port. Port implies different features or a later release date or something(gta4 on Xbox and ps3=different versions, gta4 on pc=port because later released and terribly optimised).

It is a later release date.

I know the game was developed for Wii and WiiU but no doubt the WiiU version will have some advantages, if only just graphics and a different control scheme.

Colt47:

Zeckt:

Well, to be fair the leaf was starting to fall when DQ IX came out on the DS. I tried playing it as my first entry into the Dragon Quest series and was severely disappointed by how dependent it was on multiplayer. The only emotion I could muster out of myself was dejected sighing, which now that I think on it probably doesn't count as an emotion...

Despite trying multiple times, I was never able to finish DQ9 due to it being weaker on story. Loved DQ5 on the DS though as well as DQ8 on the PS2.

What? they put out a Dragon Quest game on the WiiU?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here