Jet Li Compares Competitive Gaming to Chess

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Jet Li Compares Competitive Gaming to Chess

Li, the star of classic martial arts flicks such as Hero, The One and Fearless was the V.I.P at the recent Age of Wushu global PvP tournament in China.

Jet Li is a pretty big shot actor in the world of martial arts cinema. He has starred in Hong Kong movies such as Hero and Fearless, as well as Hollywood flicks like The One and Romeo Must Die. He is also one of the official spokespeople for Age of Wushu, a Chinese martial arts-based MMO. At a recent global PvP tournament in China, he spoke about his interest in videogames, and his thoughts on the competitive scene, comparing professional gaming to professional chess or poker.

When asked his opinion of videogames as a sport, Li said, "If poker card games and chess both have the players sitting down and are considered sports, why not virtual gaming as well? There are 2 kinds of sports, 1 physical and 1 mental. There is no good reason to debunk virtual gaming as a sport, and I believe the participants of such virtual PvP events have the same mentality as physical athletes."

Li went on to state that he has had an interest in games since a young age, and he thinks that Chinese games will become market leaders in five to ten years. He wants Chinese games to spread Chinese culture to the rest of the world, and wuxia games like Age of Wushu are some great examples of this.

As for his own perfect game, Li wants to make a game where players are free to make choices, but are still be able to make up for making the "wrong" choice. "I told the American developers that killing innocents in a game will gather some negative energy, but positive energy can be claimed by doing the right things. This will lead to players having multiple choices at each turn."

Snail Game's CEO Shi Hai is apparently in talks with Li to produce an Age of Wushu movie.

Source: MMO Culture

His dream game is a WRPG, ironic... but yeah, even though I am not a big fan of having China taking over the gaming market I wouldnt mind having some games exploring chinese culture.

Jade Empire was cool, right? We need some kung fu action back

If competitive gaming is like chess what chess move would teabagging be?

As a competitive chess player, I absolutely agree. If I can go into competitions over chess (even see the Candidates, which is a competition for aspiring Grand Masters), why not for video games? It's not as if all video games are simple. DOTA and Starcraft beg to be called simple once you go into competitive play. x-D

Jet Li, the inventor of morality systems all over the world

knight steel:

... That's a good question. I'm not sure, since you can get a game terminated if you pull any sort of unwarranted shit during a chess game. x-P

thesilentman:

knight steel:

... That's a good question. I'm not sure, since you can get a game terminated if you pull any sort of unwarranted shit during a chess game. x-P

I can think of a couple of movements from my chess days that people would call dick moves but couldn't recall the names for the life of me xP

thesilentman:

knight steel:

:( And here I wanted to have someone use the pieces as the characters and carry out the action in the middle of the game just to see the opponent's reaction >_<

SkarKrow:

thesilentman:

knight steel:

I can think of a couple of movements from my chess days that people would call dick moves but couldn't recall the names for the life of me xP

Ah you may be thinking of forks as they are annoying to all hell. So are skewers. But I will say that any player that knows how to utilize Zugzwang is a force to be reckoned with. >.>

knight steel:

thesilentman:

knight steel:

:( And here I wanted to have someone use the pieces as the characters and carry out the action in the middle of the game just to see the opponent's reaction >_<

NUKE THE QUEEN! NUKE IT!!

Reminds me of my chess club, where we pull all of this shit all of the time and no one bats an eye. It's actually quite weird if we didn't have fun like that once in a while. :-D

thesilentman:

NUKE THE QUEEN! NUKE IT!!

Reminds me of my chess club, where we pull all of this shit all of the time and no one bats an eye. It's actually quite weird if we didn't have fun like that once in a while. :-D

Gwhahaha yeah fun games like those are the best :D

So simple, yet so profound... Seriously, I can't believe how many people still dismiss video games as a sport entirely. For example, I LOVE LoL and UMVC3 tournaments. Mahvel is still the most Hype game in existence, even over a year since its release.

As a Phoenix Wright main, this wouldn't be complete without some.... EVIDENCE!

8 minutes in, final match. This is like Daystar's wet dream.

If kicking a ball around a field for almost an hour is considered a fucking national pastime...

Oh, wow SOMEONE that GETS IT! Truly amazing...
Of course many have known this for eons, it's too bad we're still so few that our voice gets lost in the crowd.

The first thing that comes to mind is that Jet Lee would probably like Thief and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Well, Deus Ex: Human Revolution minus the boss fights. Nothing like being a tranquilizer dart shooting information snoop.

I knew i like the man for more than the fact he kicks ass in movies.

His reasoning is sound :D

The Wykydtron:
So simple, yet so profound... Seriously, I can't believe how many people still dismiss video games as a sport entirely. For example, I LOVE LoL and UMVC3 tournaments. Mahvel is still the most Hype game in existence, even over a year since its release.

If kicking a ball around a field for almost an hour is considered a fucking national pastime...

Hell yea awesome match, that ending was truly a nail biter. I completely agree with the idea that competitive gaming requires the same amount of mental discipline and dedication as physical sports just look at any professional gaming tournament and you will find people with unbelievable gaming talent. I grew up playing fighting games in the arcades and have some of my greatest experiences just spending the whole day battling it out in games like Mortal Kombat II, UMK3 and Killer Instinct.

As a pretty avid Smash Bros. player, I find it interesting that he also compared virtual gaming to poker.
Smash is about knowledge and execution, like chess, but it's also about reading the enemy and making the most of your luck.

And Jet Li once again proves that he is a freaking badass. Well done, sir.

So professional chess players call each other 'fag' after they take a piece? I imagine Deep Blue lol'ed at all those noobs before teabagging them in to checkmate. Clearly things are different in China.

I'll also leave this here...

Steven Bogos:
he spoke about his interested in video games

Typo :) /pedantry

It's always nice to have someone high-profile talking about gaming and not calling it the great Satan. I'm not a particular fan of his, but his sentiment is very welcome!

thesilentman:

SkarKrow:

thesilentman:

Ah you may be thinking of forks as they are annoying to all hell. So are skewers. But I will say that any player that knows how to utilize Zugzwang is a force to be reckoned with. >.>

Be damned if I can remember what Zugzwang is, it's been a good five years since I played against anyone remotely skilled at the game >.>

I just remember being called a prick for a couple of situational manouvers. The thing where you can swap a rook with the king (i know it's more complex but as I said, it's been years) and a situation move with a pawn taking another pawn that moved in a specific way beforehand.

Memory is dead as of late D:

I think the closest thing to teabagging would be fools mating somebody.

His sentiments are very true for highly competitive games and I think especially fighters. For example, street fighter is such an intense mind game ... as long as we're on the topic ...

knight steel:

Didn't know mr Li was into games, nice to know.

I've always thought the same, people always seem to jump to XBL as how gamers are but they ignore starcraft players, who live in team houses.

They talk about starcraft build orders and tactics at every available opportunity, they practice all day every day and compete in tournaments for thousands of dollars. These are the pro gamers, not the trolling bro dudes on XBL!

My only issue with considering games as sports is that they evolve a lot during its time and become irrelevant after some sequels are released, so working hard to get any mastery can be made null if Capcom/Blizzard/Treyarch/etc decides to make a patch or a sequel and rebalance the entire thing.

You don't see a lot of those changes in rules and mechanics in most "traditional" sports; no one says "lets change the size of a soccer field", "lets rebalance chess by adding a new piece" or "lets change the order of poker plays". I would like to get more into e-sports culture, but I think they need to change that volatility if they want more people to seriously invest into it.

omega 616:

knight steel:

No, that would be equivalent to throwing the controller against the wall, or banging your fist on your keyboard.

I'd say it might be Forking like someone said earlier... I mean I know I always get a cocky smirk on my face when I get a good fork set up. Especially if it's between the Queen and the King.

The Wykydtron:

It angers me so....Here I have something I'm good at,while if I get good at throwing a ball thorugh a hoop,or hitting a ball with a bat,it's a sport,but this is'nt? 9:30 Now THAT is a sport I can get behind. A total come from behind victory. And yes,Daystar WOULD be proud. XD

SkarKrow:

thesilentman:

SkarKrow:

Be damned if I can remember what Zugzwang is, it's been a good five years since I played against anyone remotely skilled at the game >.>

I just remember being called a prick for a couple of situational manouvers. The thing where you can swap a rook with the king (i know it's more complex but as I said, it's been years) and a situation move with a pawn taking another pawn that moved in a specific way beforehand.

Nah, you have to be playing to lose to fall to fool's mate. I once pulled this on a guy and ended a match in 3. Didn't speak to me again, even though I was being polite about my game.

But this is chess, where there is nothing you can blame except yourself for winning o losing the game. And that's precisely why I like it. I wish I could play against you, just to at least hopefully learn something. :-(

knight steel:

En passant.

OT: Cool. I wonder how good at chess Jet Li is...

Here in the west, we don't see a whole lot of original Chinese games (plenty of clones from either direction (looking at you, Farmville)). I've always been curious about the differences in style & would love to see more of them make the move across the ocean

lacktheknack:

knight steel:

En passant.

OT: Cool. I wonder how good at chess Jet Li is...

........................?
Sorry your going to have to elaborate on that for me ^_^

CriticalMiss:
So professional chess players call each other 'fag' after they take a piece? I imagine Deep Blue lol'ed at all those noobs before teabagging them in to checkmate. Clearly things are different in China.

I'll also leave this here...

There is a obvious difference between the culture of chess and video-games. Chess has always been high-strung but you wouldn't go complaining to football hooligans or decrying humorous shit-talking on the cricket pitch just because chess doesn't entertain such culture.

There is a bit to clean up as far a official tournaments go but we can't be and shouldn't be removing the "xbox live" culture from personal streams or online play. If all else fails then everyone should just watch Scarra's LoL stream since he is literally gamer Buddha.

thesilentman:

SkarKrow:

thesilentman:

Nah, you have to be playing to lose to fall to fool's mate. I once pulled this on a guy and ended a match in 3. Didn't speak to me again, even though I was being polite about my game.

But this is chess, where there is nothing you can blame except yourself for winning o losing the game. And that's precisely why I like it. I wish I could play against you, just to at least hopefully learn something. :-(

I'm really not very good at it to be honest,don't think my moves ahead to well and get a bit bored if it goes on too long. I always played better against one of my friends who made his mind up quick than the one who took like 15 minutes to move, got so bored waiting for him that I lost any idea of what I was doing.

I'm okay, nothing special, but I know a few cheeky tricks.

knight steel:

Checkmating your opponent with a pawn.

Celebrity Making a statement? Nothing new.
Celebrity Making a statement about videogames? Nothing new.
Celebrity Making a statement about videogames that is not reactive or controversial? Ok, now I'm surprised.

Stryc9:

knight steel:

Checkmating your opponent with a pawn.

Gwhahahahah that's priceless I can just imagine it now ahhhh thanks for the laugh ^_^

hermes200:

You don't see a lot of those changes in rules and mechanics in most "traditional" sports; no one says "lets change the size of a soccer field", "lets rebalance chess by adding a new piece" or "lets change the order of poker plays".

You obviously don't train judo where they change the rules every year and recently made it against the rules to break a grip with two hands while standing (they have made other big changes but not as stupid). Also don't most competitive sport tend to be played a long time like cs or the original starcraft?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here