Jet Li Compares Competitive Gaming to Chess

Pages PREV 1 2

HannesPascal:

hermes200:
You don't see a lot of those changes in rules and mechanics in most "traditional" sports; no one says "lets change the size of a soccer field", "lets rebalance chess by adding a new piece" or "lets change the order of poker plays".

You obviously don't train judo where they change the rules every year and recently made it against the rules to break a grip with two hands while standing (they have made other big changes but not as stupid). Also don't most competitive sport tend to be played a long time like cs or the original starcraft?

It all gets to the matter of intent and time of adoption. Judo as a competitive sport is relatively young (and most definitely wasn't considered a competitive sport in its conception), but I can see how all those changes work against a further adoption. I am not saying changes doesn't happen, just that the more "mature" or part of the core appeal the competition side of the game is, the less often it needs revisions of their rules. However, that is not true in videogames...
Also, Starcraft and CS are not that old. Even considering that, in terms of global culture, activities that are less than 20 years old are very young, the fact is that both games are extremely dynamic. Both have seen nearly countless patches, updates and new content being released on regular basis, most of which invalidate bugs and techniques that professional players could exploit or consider overpowered/weak, so each iteration requires high level players to explore the game again searching for new techniques. You can check the changes log in Starcraft to see how often entire units/powers disappear or are nerfed down. Those things happen a lot less in games like chess, and they often appear as new strategies (the Red Queen effect), not new mechanics.

knight steel:

lacktheknack:

knight steel:
If competitive gaming is like chess what chess move would teabagging be?

En passant.

OT: Cool. I wonder how good at chess Jet Li is...

........................?
Sorry your going to have to elaborate on that for me ^_^

If the opponent's pawn moves from seventh to fifth rank, and you have a pawn located directly beside it, you can move your pawn in a capturing move to the square behind the opponent's pawn, declare "En Passant", and take their pawn off the board.

It's an official move made by trolls for lolz.

Nice to see that video gaming is viewed as something behind inherently negative, dehumanizing crap. ... Although, depending on your views of the more calculating, cutthroat professional chess players, this might be reinforcing those stereotypes. >_>

Still, nice to see someone saying something good about video games for a change.

knight steel:

It's the "middle finger." This is usually done mentally since if you did it in real life, you probably wouldn't have said finger afterward. However, since online there's a 99% chance you will never see the idiot again, people tend to pull this out more often.

ThunderCavalier:
Nice to see that video gaming is viewed as something behind inherently negative, dehumanizing crap. ... Although, depending on your views of the more calculating, cutthroat professional chess players, this might be reinforcing those stereotypes. >_>

Still, nice to see someone saying something good about video games for a change.

knight steel:

It's the "middle finger." This is usually done mentally since if you did it in real life, you probably wouldn't have said finger afterward. However, since online there's a 99% chance you will never see the idiot again, people tend to pull this out more often.

Chess players sure are violent >_<

knight steel:

lacktheknack:

knight steel:

........................?
Sorry your going to have to elaborate on that for me ^_^

If the opponent's pawn moves from seventh to fifth rank, and you have a pawn located directly beside it, you can move your pawn in a capturing move to the square behind the opponent's pawn, declare "En Passant", and take their pawn off the board.

I......um....so...you...ehhh

As I said, it's by trollz 4 lolz.

lacktheknack:

knight steel:

lacktheknack:

Wait,can't pawns only take things front-diagonal to them by one space so how can they do that move?

knight steel:

lacktheknack:

knight steel:

Wait,can't pawns only take things front-diagonal to them by one space so how can they do that move?

It's literally an exception in the game... because it was made by trollz 4 lolz.

You'll get the hang of it.

lacktheknack:

knight steel:

lacktheknack:

It's literally an exception in the game... because it was made by trollz 4 lolz.

You'll get the hang of it.

Your right it really is a move for trolls made by trolls

So.... Jet Li compares competitive gaming to a competitive game...

brilliant

The Wykydtron:
So simple, yet so profound... Seriously, I can't believe how many people still dismiss video games as a sport entirely. For example, I LOVE LoL and UMVC3 tournaments. Mahvel is still the most Hype game in existence, even over a year since its release.

As a Phoenix Wright main, this wouldn't be complete without some.... EVIDENCE!

Good shit. You don't often see someone who can go blow for blow with MarlinPie (outside of Yipes or something).

I was gonna say something else involving the actual topic, but then I totally lost it.

Stryc9:

knight steel:

Checkmating your opponent with a pawn.

I have a better one, though no longer valid.

A long time ago, as I read, promotion rules did not explicitly state that the piece you'r epromoting your pawn has to be of the same color. So move your pawn to the final rank, open a check on the enemy king and promote to opposite color piece, blocking the king from escape.

Imagine the white pawn moves to promotion and promotes into a BLACK knight. Checkmate.

Now the FIDE rules explicitly say that you have to promote to the same color.

it's exactly like like chess in spirit.

after all, i can't remember the last time i played chess without the person across from me calling me a fag, a n-word, a derogatory word for Hispanic and several things he couldn't say to my face unless he was playing chess.

Giyguy:
it's exactly like like chess in spirit.

after all, i can't remember the last time i played chess without the person across from me calling me a fag, a n-word, a derogatory word for Hispanic and several things he couldn't say to my face unless he was playing chess.

Cheeky. Yeah, you get plenty of fucks in random online games, but they're few and far between in most competitive games. They don't have the time to be insulting their opponent.

knight steel:

It's called en passant, a pawn can make that move, but only after the opposing pawn's first move, and only if that move was advancing two ranks from its starting square.

Vegosiux:

knight steel:

It's called en passant, a pawn can make that move, but only after the opposing pawn's first move, and only if that move was advancing two ranks from its starting square.

Thank you for the explanation ^_^

knight steel:

a move that applies psichological pressure hoping for the enemy to slip up and start doing mistakes.

You know Jet Li makes sense and my respect for him grows.

Vegosiux:

Imagine the white pawn moves to promotion and promotes into a BLACK knight. Checkmate.

King attacks knight, then the white queen must attack black tower or move away, black king takes out the queen, a draw.

Starcraft is in some ways like chess, except most opponents don't have the courtesy to not send a murderous flock of Mutalisk when I've just built my second barracks.

After studying MoBAS for a while, I have to say, the analogy is actually -VERY- accurate

Strazdas:

knight steel:

a move that applies psichological pressure hoping for the enemy to slip up and start doing mistakes.

You know Jet Li makes sense and my respect for him grows.

Vegosiux:

King attacks knight, then the white queen must attack black tower or move away, black king takes out the queen, a draw.

So you suffer from a lack of reading comprehension on top of a lack of humor huh? Poor guy. Knight Steel said nothing about Jet Li, never questioned whether or not his comment made sense, and honestly no one cares if your "respect" grows for him or not. Age of Wulin is a game, that I should remind you, is paying him to help promote it. Sure he might also be into the idea of the game as well, but he is also financially linked to this game doing as great as possible financially. He didn't say competitive gaming was a sport, all he said was "If chess is a sport, why not video games?". He made no real assertions that he believes they are, just a comparison. Also, that question was a joke, no need to be so ignorantly serious.

As for Vegosiux? He's playing as white. What he just said was moving his white pawn up there, and promoting it into a Black knight. At the position it would be at, it wouldn't be able to take any of his white pieces, while also blocking the Black Kings sole escape route.

Now sure, if you took his statement out of context, applied the current rules of promoting to your same color only, then sure why not. But he already covered that point so your little bit was highly unnecessary.

knight steel:

The one where you systematically wipe-out every piece except the enemy king, and then you proceed to purposely avoid putting that player into a check-mate. (Also known as the Troll maneuver).

SteewpidZombie:

knight steel:

The one where you systematically wipe-out every piece except the enemy king, and then you proceed to purposely avoid putting that player into a check-mate. (Also known as the Troll maneuver).

Gwhahaha I've done that before but instead of purposefully avoiding the king and not putting him in check mate, I chased him all over the board before cornering him :P

Alright, look, Mr. Li. Can I call you Jet? 'Kay. Jet, the thing is that that's a very idealistic view of what the community could become. It has all the potential to happen that way, but past evidence suggests that many people act poorly in a commpetitive game. These are not honorable people, not chess-playing material. Treating a game as a decent competition and as something to be enjoyed for fun and sport is the right and proper way to do things, sommething I tend to follow myself. Other people...don't want to be right.

knight steel:

That's not a chess move as such, but it can loosely be translated as follows:
When you win the game, up-end the board, laugh in your opponent's face, and give them the finger. XD

Or, for a mid-game move, skip upending the board...

A slightly tamer version would to be to make a particularly good move and just break out laughing...
(Given how 'serious' chess tends to be anyway... XD)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here